• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

amageish

Smash Master
Hell Heck, Dr. Hutchinson could've got in just because hooks are a cool weapon for all we know, or perhaps Rachel because she's a cartoonist and can use moves they may have wanted for Rudy or Snap before Frederator happened.

(Though Rachel would unfortunately be very easy to shout "forced representation!" at)

On a semi-related note, if we ignore the whole Frederator thing I'd really much prefer Jorgen over Timmy - the problem I have with Timmy for this game is that I feel he has too much moveset potential, to the point it's impossible to represent even a small portion of what he can do in a moveset - unless wishing was some sort of mechanic? I dunno. Same problem I have with Maxwell in Smash. I don't see any issues with Jimmy though, even if I'd prefer Hugh.
Ooooooooh, Rachel with a moveset kind of similar to Adeleine's kit in Kirby Star Allies, drawing and summoning the Fatheads? That would be a fantastic moveset. Not necessarily the most logical character from Nick's catalogue to fit the summoner archetype, but it'd be very funny to see.

(Though, uh, yeah. I would not want to see the Twitch chat that'd ensue if that'd happen...)

I totally get that too! Timmy's moveset could be super creative and fascinating, but I also image it'd almost inevitably feel like she's playing with the kids gloves on and not using his full power... Jorgen, Vicky, Mr. Crocker, Mr. Turner, Tootie... there's a lot of non-Timmy options that I imagine would make for good movesets and generally be popular.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I only see them on roster predictions that are like 30+ character "dream" rosters. When trying to decide the last 2-3, they (and the Rugrats) have never come up as far as I've seen.

Given the 90's bias, Rocko's Modern Life and Angry Beavers are the only two pre-Spongebob Nicktoons left that aren't in some sort of legal red zone to have a character in the game, so I'm fairly confident in them getting characters if the 2-3 remaining slots are from shows yet unrepresented.
You forgot Rocket Power.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I just realized that if the devs are willing to talk about Patrick's 360 motion then we can probably ask what the hell Spongebob's Chomp does as neither the picture nor the ganeplay footage of the move make it clear what it does
I may have already mentioned this here, but in case I haven't: I don't think Chomp is a command grab, but rather more of a close-range Falcon Punch. Slow startup, massive power.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My guess is that everyone keeps guessing the main characters when it could easily be a supporting or side character.
Instead of Rocko, we get Heffer or Filburt
Instead of Timmy, it's Cosmo and Wanda on their own
etc

I also rarely see either of the Beavers or any Rugrats babies on fan roster predictions.
Not to mention the teenage versions of the Rugrats, regardless of All Grown Up not being liked as much.

Or, going for broke, a secondary character from a post-90s series everyone wrote off because "the staff only cares about Nick's roots, so the lesser known stuff after that isn't going to be considered".

Hell Heck, Dr. Hutchinson could've got in just because hooks are a cool weapon for all we know, or perhaps Rachel because she's a cartoonist and can use moves they may have wanted for Rudy or Snap before Frederator happened.

(Though Rachel would unfortunately be very easy to shout "forced representation!" at)

On a semi-related note, if we ignore the whole Frederator thing I'd really much prefer Jorgen over Timmy - the problem I have with Timmy for this game is that I feel he has too much moveset potential, to the point it's impossible to represent even a small portion of what he can do in a moveset - unless wishing was some sort of mechanic? I dunno. Same problem I have with Maxwell in Smash. I don't see any issues with Jimmy though, even if I'd prefer Hugh.
Incidentally, getting Rachel in here would be having trans representation, right? 🤔

I just realized that if the devs are willing to talk about Patrick's 360 motion then we can probably ask what the hell Spongebob's Chomp does as neither the picture nor the ganeplay footage of the move make it clear what it does
I figure it would just be like :ultwario:'s chomp.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If franchises were going to have 4 reps we would have gotten all 4 turtles.
That seems a little stubborn to me, there were plenty of reasons to settle for just two turtles (visual homogenity being the biggest one, but other factors include letting April get in without over-saturating Turtle content and the 87 Turtles' lack of association to Nick) - hell, we may even get a 4th non-turtle TMNT rep like Splinter or Shredder for all we know! None of those factors apply to a 4th SpongeBob rep.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My two cents on this is that we should wait and see if DLC happens, before humoring or shooting down the idea of any series getting a fourth character.

While I don't think it's likeliest outcome, I do think a lot of people are sleeping on the idea of a 4th SpongeBob rep.
I mean, if we're going to have this happen for real...

That seems a little stubborn to me, there were plenty of reasons to settle for just two turtles (visual homogenity being the biggest one, but other factors include letting April get in without over-saturating Turtle content and the 87 Turtles' lack of association to Nick) - hell, we may even get a 4th non-turtle TMNT rep like Splinter or Shredder for all we know! None of those factors apply to a 4th SpongeBob rep.
For the record, I already have my favorite turtle(s) in here and I wanted Shredder anyway, so it'd be no skin off my nose. :drshrug:

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
My thought of it is, either Timmy will have a mechanic similar to Hero's commands, or instead of Timmy, they pull a Pyra/Mythra and have Cosmo and Wanda themselves as the playable characters instead.

You forgot Rocket Power.
I didn't. Rocket Power came out a month after Spongebob. I was talking about shows from before Spongebob. Rocko and Beavers are the only ones not represented (that aren't Doug or KaBlam, which have rights stuff holding them back).

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Since it seems we are taking other options out for the roster. I will bring forth a past suggestion of mine.

Personally, I'm still onboard with home stages being a thing, unless they picked someone so obtuse that they just couldn't give them their own stage for whatever reason...

I do think these comments means there's probably one more gag/comedy character in the roster though. This could be from Avatar, though I'm also not sure if Avatar has any real comedy characters - I know some have suggested Iroh as a funny pick, but, while Iroh is a funny character, I don't think he's a particularly out-there choice for a fighting game... Really, most of the core cast of Avatar fights and the only meme pick that comes to mind is the already-a-stage-element Cabbage Salesman...

Beyond Avatar, Nick's library is deep and the number of silly minor characters they could use is in the hundreds, if not the thousands... Nick is a big company with a large history.

Also, I want to put forward a suggestion for third avatar character.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Them picking Heffer over Rocko or Cosmos/Wanda with no Timmy would be one of the dumbest and most controversial decisions they did yet. I hope they don't actually do that. Especially when Rocko, Jimmy, and Timmy don't have many shortcomings nor are they overshadowed like Eliza was by Nigel.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Them picking Heffer over Rocko or Cosmos/Wanda with no Timmy would be one of the dumbest and most controversial decisions they did yet. I hope they don't actually do that. Especially when Rocko, Jimmy, and Timmy don't have many shortcomings nor are they overshadowed like Eliza was by Nigel.
Agreed. Sometimes a secondary character can make that fit better, but now we're just speculating secondary characters because "lmao wouldn't that be weeeeiiiiirrrrrd if they picked someone DIFFERENT than the protagonist?"

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Sometimes a secondary character can make that fit better, but now we're just speculating secondary characters because "lmao wouldn't that be weeeeiiiiirrrrrd if they picked someone DIFFERENT than the protagonist?"
Hard agree. It would be marketing suicide to randomly leave Timmy, Rocko, or Jimmy out in favor of a random side character from their shows. It'd be like representing TMNT but excluded Leo and Mikey and only having April.

Helga, Nigel, and Reptar should be the exceptions to the rule, not the standard.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
My thought of it is, either Timmy will have a mechanic similar to Hero's commands, or instead of Timmy, they pull a Pyra/Mythra and have Cosmo and Wanda themselves as the playable characters instead.

I didn't. Rocket Power came out a month after Spongebob. I was talking about shows from before Spongebob. Rocko and Beavers are the only ones not represented (that aren't Doug or KaBlam, which have rights stuff holding them back).
Timmy: There you guys are, I've been looking all over
Wanda: Sorry Sport, we didn't want to tell you
Timmy: Tell me What?
Wanda: Well, we...
Cosmo: Got Invited to Nickelodeon All Star Brawl Without You!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I though we were widening our spectrum on predictions because the current rosters dont seem close to what the true roster truly is based on what the devs have spoken off.

Smash Journeyman
Bruh I think you need to calm down cause this **** is insane as if this is a massive project in which billions of dollars was spent on and not a neat budget title that happened to blow up by chance
I am calm? I'm stating my opinion, it'd be very silly to leave out some massive characters in favor of someone else in their franchise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I am calm? I'm stating my opinion, it'd be very silly to leave out some massive characters in favor of someone else in their franchise.
Calling it marketing suicide and a massive controversy is massive ****ing hyperbole though, is it not? Like, everyone who showed interest didn't do so because we might get Rocko lmao

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Hard agree. It would be marketing suicide to randomly leave Timmy, Rocko, or Jimmy out in favor of a random side character from their shows. It'd be like representing TMNT but excluded Leo and Mikey and only having April.

Helga, Nigel, and Reptar should be the exceptions to the rule, not the standard.
I'm really disliking the objective wording here, like there's no room for dissent.

Also, isn't "marketing suicide" exactly what we as consumers should want, like down to a T even? risky passion projects with no focus group input, made not to appeal to people or make a quick buck but just out of what the developers think is cool?

Anyway, if less people want or like a character their few fans will be more passionate and thus more pleased, you can see that in the reactions to April, so sides first is a good way to go.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
Calling it marketing suicide and a massive controversy is massive ****ing hyperbole though, is it not? Like, everyone who showed interest didn't do so because we might get Rocko lmao
It would absolutely be one of the more controversial decisions from this game, not because it's a massive thing that will kill it, but because there's very little if not zero actual controversy in the game. By default it will be controversial. Just wouldn't be a good marketing decision personally if a FOP and Jimmy Neutron character comes in against all odds and it's not Timmy Turner/Jimmy Neutron. They are unique characters that wouldn't be "bland obligatory protag". They have huge fanbases and every merit in the book to be in the game, similar to Spongebob.

I'm really disliking the objective wording here, like there's no room for dissent.

Also, isn't "marketing suicide" exactly what we as consumers should want, like down to a T even? risky passion projects with no focus group input, made not to appeal to people or make a quick buck but just out of what the developers think is cool?

Anyway, if less people want or like a character their few fans will be more passionate and thus more pleased, you can see that in the reactions to April, so sides first is a good way to go.
Nah, side characters should either go with main characters or be an occasional surprise, as that's one of best things you can do with surprises. More people would be pleased with the main character than a side character, at least with Fairly OddParents and Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius. Those two mains are way too beloved that leaving them out for a side character would just be dumb.

There are more passionate fans with Jimmy and Timmy than the side characters from their respective shows due to the nature of having more fans. Jimmy and Timmy would be cool and significantly more appealing.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It would absolutely be one of the more controversial decisions from this game, not because it's a massive thing that will kill it, but because there's very little if not zero actual controversy in the game
Yes and a specific character's exclusion wouldn't change that, it'd be a letdown but not something that people will actively consider it a worse product for

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We don't know if any protagonists will have truly been set aside or will come later via DLC, so it feels like you lot are going daft over this, again.

I though we were widening our spectrum on predictions because the current rosters dont seem close to what the true roster truly is based on what the devs have spoken off.
Didn't seem like it to me, as the predictions here seem to don't go much further than 90s/Jimmy/Timmy/Avatar at the moment.

For all we know, they'd have decided to toss in Kid Danger's animated self or something.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
It would absolutely be one of the more controversial decisions from this game, not because it's a massive thing that will kill it, but because there's very little if not zero actual controversy in the game. By default it will be controversial. Just wouldn't be a good marketing decision personally if a FOP and Jimmy Neutron character comes in against all odds and it's not Timmy Turner/Jimmy Neutron. They are unique characters that wouldn't be "bland obligatory protag" with huge fanbases.
Personally, I prefer to wait to see the results of a decision before calling it good or bad.

Nah, side characters should either go with main characters or be an occasional surprise, as that's one of best things you can do with surprises. More people would be pleased with the main character than a side character, at least with Fairly OddParents and Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius. Those two mains are way too beloved that leaving them out for a side character would just be dumb.

There are more passionate fans with Jimmy and Timmy than the side characters from their respective shows due to the nature of having more fans. Jimmy and Timmy would be cool and significantly more appealing.
I though Hugh Neutron was a really popular character right now. I am not sure if we got him instead of Jimmy, people would be mad.....

Didn't seem like it to me, as the predictions here seem to don't go much further than 90s/Jimmy/Timmy/Avatar at the moment.

For all we know, they'd have decided to toss in Kid Danger's animated self or something.
Well, it makes sense. We know they have a leaning towards older stuff but we havent considered some other options besides the same 5-6 characters (Rocko, Jenny, Garfield, Zuko, Toph, Loud sister) for a while. I would say that its an improvement from that at the very least.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
Yes and a specific character's exclusion wouldn't change that, it'd be a letdown but not something that people will actively consider it a worse product for
It will 100% be a controversial decision, that shouldn't even be a debate. There's already many people I've seen that have reservations toward the roster due to the lack of those two, but to intentionally ignore them for a random side character? Something that's not even the standard in the game? (Aang, Leo, Spongebob, Korra, Danny Phantom, Ren and Stimpy, etc). It will be controversial and a decision that makes very little sense. The roster is surprising enough, no need to try and leave out big characters for the sake of shock value.

Personally, I prefer to wait to see the results of a decision before calling it good or bad.

I though Hugh Neutron was a really popular character right now. I am not sure if we got him instead of Jimmy, people would be mad.....
Jimmy consistently outranked Hugh, Hugh never really outshined Jimmy... ever. Even in the Hugh Nation pushing by the VA and stuff, you can see Jimmy alongside Hugh, as they know it wouldn't make sense to leave the boy out.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So, here's food for thought; if for some reason TUFF Puppy gets representation, do you think people would be okay with Kitty getting in over Dudley? If feels like she'd be one of the more acceptable exceptions.

Yeah I mean, he might be flavor of the month, but he has really strong meme power going for him at the moment.

Though I still think they'd include him and Jimmy, otherwise, besides the reasons stated above the meme wouldn't make sense anymore.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
So, here's food for thought; if for some reason TUFF Puppy gets representation, do you think people be okay with Kitty getting in over Dudley? If feels like she'd be one of the more acceptable exceptions.

Yeah I mean, he might be flavor of the month, but he has really strong meme power going for him at the moment.

Though I still think they'd include him and Jimmy, otherwise, besides the reasons stated above the meme wouldn't make sense anymore.
There's exceptions to the rule with the side character shining just as much as the main character (Oblina, Nigel, Helga). Kitty could be another case, I still believe Jimmy and Timmy don't fit that idea and should absolutely be in if the franchise gets a character. Timmy and Jimmy were all over Nick with them being nearly if not just as prominent as Spongebob before.

The team didn't add Vlad, Sam, or one of the various ghosts over Danny Phantom.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
How is it out of the question to have Cosmo and Wanda over Timmy?

Everyone expects Timmy to get in and his moveset to revolve around the fairies. Why not just cut out the middleman and make the fairies playable? It's like I said earlier, it's a Pyra/Mythra situation. Everyone kept asking for Rex because of the expectation and hope that Pyra would come with him. In cutting out the middleman and making Pyra playable along with Mythra, it pleased more people.

Cosmo and Wanda would honestly be interesting as their own playable characters rather than being eternally tethered to Timmy. They're the titular characters, they're not side characters, they're the entire premise of the show, and you can't say they haven't outshined Timmy. It wouldn't be the same as having Hugh over Jimmy, it'd be more like Helga over Arnold, which makes a lot more sense. Arnold is the main character, but Helga and her crush on him is the draw of the show. Timmy is the main character, but the fairies are the draw.

It'd make a lot more sense that Heffer, I'll admit that Heffer was me looking into a pattern.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
It will 100% be a controversial decision, that shouldn't even be a debate. There's already many people I've seen that have reservations toward the roster due to the lack of those two, but to intentionally ignore them for a random side character? Something that's not even the standard in the game? (Aang, Leo, Spongebob, Korra, Danny Phantom, Ren and Stimpy, etc). It will be controversial and a decision that makes very little sense. The roster is surprising enough, no need to try and leave out big characters for the sake of shock value.
I agree that it is controversial. But that is something to consider as a possibility because controversial doesnt mean impossible. Afterall, I dont think anyone ever imagined a game without all 4 turtles and yet, here we are.

Smash Journeyman
How is it out of the question to have Cosmo and Wanda over Timmy?

Everyone expects Timmy to get in and his moveset to revolve around the fairies. Why not just cut out the middleman and make the fairies playable? It's like I said earlier, it's a Pyra/Mythra situation. Everyone kept asking for Rex because of the expectation and hope that Pyra would come with him. In cutting out the middleman and making Pyra playable along wit Mythra, it pleased more people.

Cosmo and Wanda would honestly be interesting as their own playable characters rather than being eternally tethered to Timmy. They're the titular characters, they're not side characters, they're the entire premise of the show, and you can't say they haven't outshined Timmy. It wouldn't be the same as having Hugh over Jimmy, it'd be more like Helga over Arnold, which makes a lot more sense.

It'd make a lot more sense that Heffer, I'll admit that Heffer was me looking into a pattern.
Because Timmy isn't just the middle man, the entire dynamic of the show was Timmy having his own interests and potential but having the Fairies massively support him to make him something special. Which worked as Timmy is the most beloved character. Cosmo and Wanda were always his supports in unique and creative ways that wouldn't be boring at all. They're a wacky trio with numerous ways it can work.

Comparing it to Rex doesn't really work as Rex was planned to be in with Pythra but couldn't work because of technical reasons. Rex was never more popular than his blades, he's hated by many. Timmy, on the other hand, is on the level of Cosmo and Wanda. There's numerous fans that specifically talk about wanting him not "we need Timmy if we want Cosmo and Wanda" like what happened with Rex.

I agree that it is controversial. But that is something to consider as a possibility because controversial doesnt mean impossible. Afterall, I dont think anyone ever imagined a game without all 4 turtles and yet, here we are.
But even then, the main leading turtle is still in this game. They didn't do a TMNT representation where all the turtles are gone and it's only April and Shredder.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think Cosmo and Wanda over Timmy would be controversial because they're very much a beloved trio that works together both in terms of abilities and personalities. If you get Timmy as the fighter you're really getting all three whereas if you exclude him in favor of Cosmo and Wanda you're missing out on one character (and don't really gain much in terms of moveset potential).

amageish

Smash Master
Incidentally, getting Rachel in here would be having trans representation, right? 🤔
It would, yes. And given the fact that I've been seeing people call Korra "forced representation" and she's the protagonist of her show... I would not want to see the discourse that follows, even if Rachel and her family were central to the most recent Rocko content we've received.

Since it seems we are taking other options out for the roster. I will bring forth a past suggestion of mine.
Sokka would be neat! I didn't count him as a "meme pick" as he is still a protagonist of a combat-heavy show though. He'd be fun to have, but I don't think the idea of him fighting is as inherently funny as, like, Nigel.

I... thought that is what we were doing too. And I also figured that me saying this...
So, in conclusion, we should keep in mind minor characters who would make for interesting fighters, supporting characters who would make for interesting fighters, and protagonists who would make for interesting fighters... wait a minute
...would be a sign that I am not being totally pragmatic and analytical and may just be spinning hypotheticals about characters who could have neat movesets...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The 4 characters they chose over their series' main protagonists have notable advantages over the main protagonists anyway, not just being lolrandom:
  • Nigel is more well-remembered by the internet than Eliza
  • Oblina's shapeshifting allows for more flexibility
  • Helga is more willing to be violent than Arnold
  • Reptar is a kaiju rather than a baby
And that's not to mention 3/4 of those characters are still part of their shows' main casts, and while Reptar isn't, he's still a well remembered part of Rugrats anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom