• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
If we're constantly hyping up the non-existant Nintendo Direct for no reason, we also have to keep this in mind. It goes both ways.

yeah theres not gonna be nick brawl news there. or in the ninty direct
First off, there's almost always been a Nintendo Direct in September. So I'd say people's reasons for hyping up a Direct this month are actually valid.

Second (and more to the point), I understand why there probably won't be anything All-Star Brawl-related at the Playstation thing (heck, I'm not even a Playstation fan and I'm expecting a big pile of nothing), but what makes you think there isn't going to be anything shown at the Nintendo Direct? Because I can see at least a brief section of the Direct being dedicated to 1-2 reveals for the game, especially since these September Directs are mostly focused on Fall/Holiday releases, and All-Star Brawl certainly falls into that category.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
First off, there's almost always been a Nintendo Direct in September. So I'd say people's reasons for hyping up a Direct this month are actually valid.

Second (and more to the point), I understand why there probably won't be anything All-Star Brawl-related at the Playstation thing (heck, I'm not even a Playstation fan and I'm expecting a big pile of nothing), but what makes you think there isn't going to be anything shown at the Nintendo Direct? Because I can see at least a brief section of the Direct being dedicated to 1-2 reveals for the game.
Adding to that, third-party stuff makes for convenient video filler if first-party projects aren't all ready to have anything shown off yet. Doesn't matter if it's only on one side of the pond or not (Directs always have stuff shown only in the West or Japan).

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
That said, when do you'll think Game Mill will randomly drop the next character trailers on Twitter? Assuming it's not dumping all of them on the day before launch. Other than that and PAX East, I don't know any other way they'd advertise the rest of the roster before early October.
In spite of how Aang/Korra have gone from "No surprise" to "REALLY no surprise" lately, I'm still thinking they'll do live reveals for the remaining 6, honestly. I think they've gotten a taste for all the free advertising they get from people doing reaction streams and aren't going to just drop them on Twitter...

In that regard, I'd expect to see them literally anywhere Game Mill has the connections to put the reveals in lol. So I see no reason to think they wouldn't do a Nintendo or a PlayStation stream if Game Mill has the ability to get them into there...

I wonder how the newer generation feels about the characters. Most of them are ones I grew up with.
And fairly odd parents would make a lot of sense, didn't know it was so hard to get the copyrights.
I'm definitely curious how kids will feel about this game, given how it is a game with a focus on 90s nostalgia and also high-level play... I mean, I'm sure parents will buy it for their kids as it has SpongeBob on it, but it still seems to be targeting older fans more in both character choice and gameplay design.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm definitely curious how kids will feel about this game, given how it is a game with a focus on 90s nostalgia and also high-level play... I mean, I'm sure parents will buy it for their kids as it has SpongeBob on it, but it still seems to be targeting older fans more in both character choice and gameplay design.
90's cartoons aren't entirely foreign to modern children. They appear on the kids' sections of various streaming services, and videos flagged as suitable for YouTube Kids includes clips and even full episodes of 90's cartoons, not just those unholy cluster****s involving everything modern kids are stereotyped as fans of.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think most kids would, at the very least, recognize the Spongebob characters, both Loud house characters and the TMNT. Maybe Reptar because of the new Rugrats reboot.

To be fair I don't think that they need to know every characters to be interested in the game. I'm sure a kids getting Smash bros today would pretty much only know the Mario characters, the Pokémon, Kirby, Sonic and Steve if you count DLC, but that's enough to get most kids into the game.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think most kids would, at the very least, recognize the Spongebob characters, both Loud house characters and the TMNT. Maybe Reptar because of the new Rugrats reboot.

To be fair I don't think that they need to know every characters to be interested in the game. I'm sure a kids getting Smash bros today would pretty much only know the Mario characters, the Pokémon, Kirby, Sonic and Steve if you count DLC, but that's enough to get most kids into the game.
True that. I remember when I was a kid and I first played Melee, I pretty much only recognized the Pokemon and that was enough for me to be hooked.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

This. Back in the day, I had no idea who :ness64: was and didn't know that F-Zero had characters at all. :falcon64: Still got hooked.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Honestly, depending on how these shows are available right now (via streaming or DVD releases), this game could serve as a good introduction to these characters and shows in a similar fashion to how Smash can serve to introduce newcomers to various Nintendo games and others (like how Smash 64 introduced me to Nintendo games other than Mario, the two Mario spin-offs (Yoshi and Donkey Kong), and Pokémon).

amageish

Smash Master

Of course, yes, I assume kids will be enjoying the game regardless. The previous Kart Racers also seemed to target 90s nostalgia heavily, in spite of most of the adult playerbase having less-then-positive reactions to them...

That said, I do still find it funny how this Nicktoons game is being targeted and advertised.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Of course, yes, I assume kids will be enjoying the game regardless. The previous Kart Racers also seemed to target 90s nostalgia heavily, in spite of most of the adult playerbase having less-then-positive reactions to them...

That said, I do still find it funny how this Nicktoons game is being targeted and advertised.
Luckily this game's initial reception is making Nick possibly change their tune about making games a one-and-done affair, seeing how marketing suddenly got a kick in the pants.

In other words, disposable? Phooey.

By the way, Lynn Jr. has apparently been spotted on the Loud House stage, so she's deconfirmed. Might make Luna likelier, given that the sportiest Loud sister has been deliberately set aside.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Luckily this game's initial reception is making Nick possibly change their tune about making games a one-and-done affair, seeing how marketing suddenly got a kick in the pants.

In other words, disposable? Phooey.

By the way, Lynn Jr. has apparently been spotted on the Loud House stage, so she's deconfirmed. Might make Luna likelier, given that the sportiest Loud sister has been deliberately set aside.
could've swore that was Luan, since based on the layout of the house that would be Luna and Luan's room and Luna definitely doesn't have longer hair. Regardless yeah it makes Luna the more likely LH rep if we got another one

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I wonder how the newer generation feels about the characters. Most of them are ones I grew up with.
And fairly odd parents would make a lot of sense, didn't know it was so hard to get the copyrights.
Nick "Zoomer" here.

I gotta say that it does alienate me quite a lot. As i grew up with most Nicktoons from 99 onward. Yes, i watched some Hey Arnold and Rocko episodes, but im most familiar with Spongebob, Mlaatr, Jimmy Nuetron and Fop. I have no attachement to most 90's Nick properties outside of respect at best.

The most glaring alienation to me is Ren and Stimpy. No, it isnt' because of the content in the show, or the atrocities that John K. has done (because i practice the "Separate the Art from the Artist" mentality, i still enjoy FoP after all) but because where i live, Chile of Latin America, Ren and Stimpy aired on Nickelodeon for like, a year, far before i was even born. So i only know of Ren and Stimpy for its legacy on Western Animation. If anyting it has aired far more on MTV in Latinamerica or national non-cable channels, so know it has a spot on Nick's line up and legacy, but my attachment is nonexistent.

Doesn't help that the 2 2000's Nicktoons that are on this roster: Danny Phantom and the Last Airbender, are the two Nicktoons i really couldn't care less about. and i haven't watched TV in years so Korra, Loud House or any post-2010 Nicktoon (that isn't the TMNT from the 2012 show, which would have been far better choices for this game than the 80's incarnation IMO) doesn't do it for me.

Also where i live, Jimmy Neutron is fondly remembered and one of the most beloved Nicktoons in general, possibly second only to FoP and Spongebob. So to me excluding Jimmy reminds me of PTE excluding the Eds, which are part of the reason i never bought that game (Ed Edd N Eddy is my favorite show of all time)

If im brutally honest, the roster already dissapointed me and i know how it's gonna go. But im okay with that, since this game is at the end of the day, a licensed Nick Platform Fighter. The fact that Rep said that everyone was entitled to be dissapointed or hyped with the roster makes me respect his choices. I look foward to the game because of the developers seemed to want to make a genuinely good game, and that is good enough for me. Making a good foundation is top priority here, the cool characters can come later.

(still super upset about the Lack of Raph and Donnie, that is the only roster exclusion that upset me)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If DLC is anything like much of Ultimate's, we'll surely get more stuff from more recent series. Especially since the 90s well is nearly running dry from the onset in this case (assuming they keep sticking with fave dev choices rather than completing them for completion's sake, which is unlikely for things like ARM and Wild Thornberrys).

We just need official confirmation of DLC coming from something other than the content rating on European Steam before starting doomposting.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nick "Zoomer" here.

I gotta say that it does alienate me quite a lot. As i grew up with most Nicktoons from 99 onward. Yes, i watched some Hey Arnold and Rocko episodes, but im most familiar with Spongebob, Mlaatr, Jimmy Nuetron and Fop. I have no attachement to most 90's Nick properties outside of respect at best.

The most glaring alienation to me is Ren and Stimpy. No, it isnt' because of the content in the show, or the atrocities that John K. has done (because i practice the "Separate the Art from the Artist" mentality, i still enjoy FoP after all) but because where i live, Chile of Latin America, Ren and Stimpy aired on Nickelodeon for like, a year, far before i was even born. So i only know of Ren and Stimpy for its legacy on Western Animation. If anyting it has aired far more on MTV in Latinamerica or national non-cable channels, so know it has a spot on Nick's line up and legacy, but my attachment is nonexistent.

Doesn't help that the 2 2000's Nicktoons that are on this roster: Danny Phantom and the Last Airbender, are the two Nicktoons i really couldn't care less about. and i haven't watched TV in years so Korra, Loud House or any post-2010 Nicktoon (that isn't the TMNT from the 2012 show, which would i have better han the 80's incarnation IMO) doesn't do it for me.

Also where i live, Jimmy Neutron is fondly remembered and one of the most beloved Nicktoons in general, possibly second only to FoP and Spongebob. So to me excluding Jimmy reminds me of PTE excluding the Eds, which are part of the reason i never bought that game (Ed Edd N Eddy is my favorite show of all time)

If im brutally honest, the roster already dissapointed me and i know how it's gonna go. But im okay with that, since this game is at the end of the day, a licensed Nick Platform Fighter. The fact that Rep said that everyone was entitled to be dissapointed or hyped with the roster makes me respect his choices. I look foward to the game because of the developers seemed to want to make a genuinely good game, and that is good enough for me. Making a good foundation is top priority here, the cool characters can come later.

(still super upset about the Lack of Raph and Donnie, that is the only roster exclusion that upset me)
There's 3 2000s Nicktoons on the roster. You forgot about Invader Zim.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
1630623085435.png

well sort of on topic, Rep had this to say in a convo where someone was pretty upset at Timmy and Jimmy not being in the roster. Even though they weren't super likely for base at this point and this probably was more of a general statement, it's definitely worth keeping in mind for the sake of speculation

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I probably worded that poorly. Sorry. I mean that this should help dissipate the thought that there wouldnt a reason for avatar to get maybe three characters.
...Okay, but I still don't see how exactly what you said before suggests there being a third Avatar rep. At most, it suggests that the devs were able to watch the show and become familiar with it, which, considering it's more-or-less confirmed that both Aang and Korra are fighters is kind of a no-brainer.

In other news, I decided to check the Nintendo eShop's entry on the game, and it mentioned the "20 stages" thing again, and that got me curious. So I did a head-count of sorts to see how many confirmed stages we have so far, and if we include the unknown Wild Thornberrys stage that was seen very, very briefly in the teaser trailer, than we're currently up to 18 confirmed stage. which means at the bare minimum, we have 2 unknown stages left.

So what show do you guys think they may be from?

Personally, considering we still don't have a proper Rugrats stage, I'm gonna say that's one of them. And as for the other, I'm gonna guess that it's from a show that we don't know is featured in the game yet.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
...Okay, but I still don't see how exactly what you said before suggests there being a third Avatar rep. At most, it suggests that the devs were able to watch the show and become familiar with it, which, considering it's more-or-less confirmed that both Aang and Korra are fighters is kind of a no-brainer.

In other news, I decided to check the Nintendo eShop's entry on the game, and it mentioned the "20 stages" thing again, and that got me curious. So I did a head-count of sorts to see how many confirmed stages we have so far, and if we include the unknown Wild Thornberrys stage that was seen very, very briefly in the teaser trailer, than we're currently up to 18 confirmed stage. which means at the bare minimum, we have 2 unknown stages left.

So what show do you guys think they may be from?

Personally, considering we still don't have a proper Rugrats stage, I'm gonna say that's one of them. And as for the other, I'm gonna guess that it's from a show that we don't know is featured in the game yet.
if it's 20 then the last 2 stages are probably the Rugrats stage and a second Ren and Stimpy stage we haven't seen yet, leaving whoever our last character or two to be stageless

dlewis53

Smash Lord
View attachment 328847
well sort of on topic, Rep had this to say in a convo where someone was pretty upset at Timmy and Jimmy not being in the roster. Even though they weren't super likely for base at this point and this probably was more of a general statement, it's definitely worth keeping in mind for the sake of speculation
Huh. I'm aware of the potential behind-the-scenes issues for getting Timmy in the game, but does anyone have any speculation on what issues Jimmy would have? Because I haven't heard of that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 328847
Good thing I'm not super expecting Jimbo or FOP characters. Hugh at most, but that's a big if.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
if it's 20 then the last 2 stages are probably the Rugrats stage and a second Ren and Stimpy stage we haven't seen yet, leaving whoever our last character or two to be stageless
Thing is, while the eShop says that, the official site still say "over 20 stages", so I still think it's possible there may be more stages, hence why I said that at the bare minimum, we should expect at least two more stages.

If anything, this says to me that even official sources can have conflicting/somewhat inaccurate information.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Huh. I'm aware of the potential behind-the-scenes issues for getting Timmy in the game, but does anyone have any speculation on what issues Jimmy would have? Because I haven't heard of that.
well if we think of basic patterns with his Nicktoons games appearances, someone earlier in the chat said Globs of Doom got a smaller budget than the 3 big Nicktoons games that came before it, which is probably why Timmy was absent. However, Jimmy was still there and voice acting was as well. Moving on to Nicktoons MLB, that game had voice acting and Planet Sheen characters, but for whatever reason no Jimmy? He ended up getting in the 3DS version of the game which released later, perhaps Jimmy specifically has more legal hang-ups than we're aware of? Anyways, the following games are then the GameMill kart racers, which don't feature voice acting, Frederator or O Productions content at all. Taking into account that NickBrawl likely also doesn't have voice acting, I'm willing to bet that, while Jimmy isn't quite as much of a hassle to get as Timmy, there's still enough there that if the budget is small enough he can easily miss out. That being said though, he does have that boxset, so at least we know they still have interest in the series, and I'd say that makes Jimmy one of the most likely characters for DLC should that happen

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
90's cartoons aren't entirely foreign to modern children. They appear on the kids' sections of various streaming services, and videos flagged as suitable for YouTube Kids includes clips and even full episodes of 90's cartoons, not just those unholy cluster****s involving everything modern kids are stereotyped as fans of.
Some YouTube rabbit holes have led me to R&S and Rocko fan videos made by kids, so it's certainly not a stretch to say modern kids know who the 90s and 2000s characters are.

Personal anecdote, but as a kid I loved crossovers because I got to see old characters I've never heard of alongside my modern favourites - Stimpy's cameo in Nicktoons: Attack of the Toybots was really my gateway into learning about animation history, as was Mr. Game & Watch for gaming history. It's part of the reason I've been so disillusioned by Smash's current "please the crowd and shill some recent releases while you're at it" mentality for newcomer picks, but that's off-topic

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
View attachment 328847
I can attest to that. It's why MVC games rosters are always all kinds of wack on the Marvel side. Pre-Disney buyout era included.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
You know, come to think of it, this only makes the theories about Jenny getting in likelier (in DLC, if she doesn't make it into base):

Badminton involves whacking a projectile back and forth, much like this projectile reflection mechanic seems to work.
that's probably it actually....sad day for Jenny fans but her odds were in the mud after the Frederator stuff anyways

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
View attachment 328852
View attachment 328853
View attachment 328854
View attachment 328855
As a heavy main this is great news

Edit:
View attachment 328856
View attachment 328857

and just in case anyone tries saying "oh he used a Toph emote, Toph confirmed!", read below

View attachment 328858

Edit 2:
gave a bit more clarification on amount of characters with projectiles
View attachment 328859
thinking more on these comments I'm getting hung up on "almost" all projectiles. What few projectiles wouldn't be reflected after all?

Then I thought of something

Over on the NickBrawl server a lot of people have wondered that if Toph got in if she'd be like Little Mac, where she's weaker in the air but really strong on the ground to compensate. What if one of her strengths on the ground is having large rock/boulder projectiles that are among the few that can't be reflected? Possible?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
that's probably it actually....sad day for Jenny fans but her odds were in the mud after the Frederator stuff anyways
That's why I said "in DLC, if she doesn't make it into base".

Of course, this makes it harder to pin down who else would fit the "Badminton" code name seeing as Catdog, who were pegged as the other main suspect turned out to have a different code name anyway.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
That's why I said "in DLC, if she doesn't make it into base".

Of course, this makes it harder to pin down who else would fit the "Badminton" code name seeing as Catdog, who were pegged as the other main suspect turned out to have a different code name anyway.
...Wait, what "Badminton" code name? I've heard Rep mentioning learning the Swedish word for badminton, but I've never heard of the word being a code name.

Top Bottom