• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
TBH I feel Gerald is a better second HA rep.
For me Arnold is the best choice. Having Helga over Arnold to me feels like if Smash decided to have Amy Rose be the Sonic the Hedgehog rep instead of Sonic himself. I believe that Arnold would basically be a fusion of Helga and Lincoln, having the best of both characters. I only think that Gerald would get in as a moveset clone of Arnold himself.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Having Helga over Arnold to me feels like if Smash decided to have Amy Rose be the Sonic the Hedgehog rep instead of Sonic himself.
I disagree. Helga is a much more prominent character in her home series than Amy is in hers. Honestly it kinda just feels like you pulled the main female and main male from something else for a quick and easy comparison that I don't think applies to Hey Arnold at all.

I've said this a lot, but Helga over Arnold makes all the sense in the world. As Arnold started becoming a more milquetoast character over time (as is the fate of everyman characters), the writers started utilizing Helga a lot more, to where by the end of the show's run, Helga was equal in prominence at least, completely eclipsing Arnold at most.
They were even planning to give her her own spinoff taking place years later, which never materialized.

I wouldn't mind seeing Arnold make it in, but it's not like Helga is some side character.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I disagree. Helga is a much more prominent character in her home series than Amy is in hers. Honestly it kinda just feels like you pulled the main female and main male from something else for a quick and easy comparison that I don't think applies to Hey Arnold at all.

I've said this a lot, but Helga over Arnold makes all the sense in the world. As Arnold started becoming a more milquetoast character over time (as is the fate of everyman characters), the writers started utilizing Helga a lot more, to where by the end of the show's run, Helga was equal in prominence at least, completely eclipsing Arnold at most.
They were even planning to give her her own spinoff taking place years later, which never materialized.

I wouldn't mind seeing Arnold make it in, but it's not like Helga is some side character.
Just to chime in here on an unrelated note, this exact thing happened with Oblina as well, she became the more prominent of the trio as the show went on

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Plus Arnold is a casual favorite and a 90s icon. They don't have that many 90s icons left to add, with The Angry Beavers being the only pre-SpongeBob show that is unrepped (aside from Doug which is now in Disney's hands). People would get excited to see him here.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I will no longer be posting in this thread, or anywhere else in this section anymore. Goodbye NASB community.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Huh, turns out there were supposed to be unlockables in NASB according to TCRF. I'd say they made the right call. Alternate movesets too it seems, so I guess that early shop listing was outdated, not inaccurate.
Yeah. It appears that there was going to be a store where you could buy characters, stages, alts, and even alternative movesets.

Based on the leaked images (assuming that they're real), there's a good chance that this piece of unused content might be realized in NASB2, assuming that Patrick's rock attack is not a Final Smash-type attack.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
While Helga first made a lot of sense, and I definitely respect that choice, I would still like to see Arnold in at some point. He's way too important, he DOES have plenty of moveset potential, and he has loads of fan demand. Gerald's fun but not really a character people are asking for.

As for move unlockables, if we get that feature in the next game I'd love to see Danny and Lincoln get some new moves. Danny has loads of unrepresented abilities to choose from, and Lincoln could easily tap into more Ace Savvy moves, his ARGGH! gadgets, his magic skills, his David Steele stuff, etc (hell, his grandfather's girlfriend recently taught him how to do an epic dodge roll!).

As Arnold started becoming a more milquetoast character over time (as is the fate of everyman characters)
Him being an everyman isn't really the issue here. I'd say it's more to do with the fact that they made the main character an advice-giving wisdom pacifist. I loved Arnold as a character, but that archtype doesn't leave as much room to get spicy or dangerous since there's a reputstion to uphold. Helga has a lot more freedom because she has a more flexible archtype.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As for move unlockables, if we get that feature in the next game I'd love to see Danny and Lincoln get some new moves. Danny has loads of abilities to choose from, and Lincoln could easily tap into more Ace Savvy moves, his ARGGH! gadgets, his magic skills, his David Steele stuff, etc (hell, his grandfather's girlfriend recently taught him how to do an epic dodge roll!).
Since that leaked Patrick move doesn't look like it fits his grappler playstyle, I can imagine it's an unlockable move if not a super move equivalent.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If I were to give Nick franchises with only one fighter a second character:
  • Ickis (Real Monsters)
  • Cliff (Catdog)
  • Vlad or either Skulker (Danny Phantom)
  • Odie (Garfield)
  • Arnold (Hey Arnold)
  • Dib (Invader Zim)
  • Jimmy Neutron (Jimmy Neutron)
  • Queen Vexus (Teenager Robot)
  • Heffer or either Filburt (Modern Life)
  • Tommy (Rugrats)
  • Eliza (Thornberrys)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I know this is a bit of a sore topic on this thread, but something I think would be cool in NASB 2 is unique competitive and casual forms for each stage. Not Omega/Battlefield deals, but actually unique competitive stages made with the assets of the casual stages. Think like Rivals of Aether or Fraymakers' stage selection. I think this would benefit casual players as well as competitive players - if you like Glove World episodes but don't like the stage, you could just play on the (for example) Meadowvalley-shaped alternate version, and it would also mean stages like Rooftop and Jellyfish Fields could get more wacky alternate versions.

EDIT:
Screw it, here's my takes on competitive variants for all stages
  1. Dutchman's Ship - Merchant Port from Rivals
  2. Gloveworld - FD but sloped
  3. Western Air Temple - one soft platform longer than the base platform
  4. Omashu - two sloped platforms, one above the other, on the left, one straight platform on the right
  5. Loud House - Wario Land
  6. Royal Woods (Assuming Harmonic now has a more appropriate size) - flat triplat with edging platforms (HDR Venom)
  7. Technodrome - Triplat, middle platform goes up and down through the platform
  8. Space Madness - Like Duck Duck Pie, but platforms are weighted
  9. Powdered Toast Trouble - Static top platform, moving bottom platform
  10. CatDog's House - Same but with flat terrain
  11. Teeter-Totter Gulch - PM Sky Sanctuary
  12. Wild Waterfall - Yoshi's Story-alike stage with an African Eagle in place of Randall
  13. Traffic Jam - Smashville with two platforms in opposite directions, one above the other
  14. Ghost Zone - Same but without ceilings
  15. The Dump - PM GHZ
  16. Slime Time - Transforming single plat stage - Smashville then GHZ then up-and-down.
  17. Hardcore Chores - Town & City phase 2 (two platforms that go into one another)

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I know this is a bit of a sore topic on this thread, but something I think would be cool in NASB 2 is unique competitive and casual forms for each stage. Not Omega/Battlefield deals, but actually unique competitive stages made with the assets of the casual stages. Think like Rivals of Aether or Fraymakers' stage selection. I think this would benefit casual players as well as competitive players - if you like Glove World episodes but don't like the stage, you could just play on the (for example) Meadowvalley-shaped alternate version, and it would also mean stages like Rooftop and Jellyfish Fields could get more wacky alternate versions.

EDIT:
  4. Omashu - two sloped platforms, one above the other, on the left, one straight platform on the right
  6. Royal Woods (Assuming Harmonic now has a more appropriate size) - flat triplat with edging platforms (HDR Venom)
  12. Wild Waterfall - Yoshi's Story-alike stage with an African Eagle in place of Randall
  13. Traffic Jam - Smashville with two platforms in opposite directions, one above the other
  15. The Dump - PM GHZ
  16. Slime Time - Transforming single plat stage - Smashville then GHZ then up-and-down.
  17. Hardcore Chores - Town & City phase 2 (two platforms that go into one another)
As long as it isn't a burden on development then I completely agree with this! That way each stage can be unique and fun for the casual crowd while allowing for more variety for the competitive crowd. The best of both worlds!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

EDIT:
  15. The Dump - PM GHZ
I don't think anyone would have an issue with more stage options

And also I think people's problem with Glove World is most atrociously the music

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
While Helga first made a lot of sense, and I definitely respect that choice, I would still like to see Arnold in at some point. He's way too important, he DOES have plenty of moveset potential, and he has loads of fan demand. Gerald's fun but not really a character people are asking for.

As for move unlockables, if we get that feature in the next game I'd love to see Danny and Lincoln get some new moves. Danny has loads of unrepresented abilities to choose from, and Lincoln could easily tap into more Ace Savvy moves, his ARGGH! gadgets, his magic skills, his David Steele stuff, etc (hell, his grandfather's girlfriend recently taught him how to do an epic dodge roll!).

Him being an everyman isn't really the issue here. I'd say it's more to do with the fact that they made the main character an advice-giving wisdom pacifist. I loved Arnold as a character, but that archtype doesn't leave as much room to get spicy or dangerous since there's a reputstion to uphold. Helga has a lot more freedom because she has a more flexible archtype.
Giving Lincoln more stuff from his own show could also help them add Arnold to the game, as Arnold would basically take a lot of what Lincoln currently has as he would have a very similar moveset, but enough could be made to keep the two boys distinct from each other.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Giving Lincoln more stuff from his own show could also help them add Arnold to the game, as Arnold would basically take a lot of what Lincoln currently has as he would have a very similar moveset, but enough could be made to keep the two boys distinct from each other.
As someone who's watched every episode of both shows I can tell you that they wouldn't have similar movesets.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As someone who's watched every episode of both shows I can tell you that they wouldn't have similar movesets.
Lincoln's moveset doesn't really reflect Lincoln himself as a character (except for the up special) with him being treated like he's a generic little boy with attacks that don't even originate from his show, or originate from a mobile game that can't be accessed anymore in the case of his neutral special. Arnold will probably be treated the same way. Even Lincoln's entrance animation is original to NASB, because he never rides a scooter at any point in The Loud House.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Lincoln's moveset doesn't really reflect Lincoln himself as a character (except for the up special) with him being treated like he's a generic little boy with attacks that don't even originate from his show, or originate from a mobile game that can't be accessed anymore in the case of his neutral special. Arnold will probably be treated the same way. Even Lincoln's entrance animation is original to NASB, because he never rides a scooter at any point in The Loud House.
You gotta remember the devs have a 90's bias. I think they'd be willing to put more effort into Arnold than that.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You gotta remember the devs have a 90's bias. I think they'd be willing to put more effort into Arnold than that.
As like Lincoln Arnold is a regular kid who doesn't fight there isn't much to differentiate the two unless they either fully change Lincoln's moveset to add more references to TLH itself or they make Arnold use a lot of sports equipment in his moveset. Although that would create problems if they decide to add Lynn Jr. to the game.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
As like Lincoln Arnold is a regular kid who doesn't fight there isn't much to differentiate the two unless they either fully change Lincoln's moveset to add more references to TLH itself or they make Arnold use a lot of sports equipment in his moveset. Although that would create problems if they decide to add Lynn Jr. to the game.
And now you know why they went with Helga.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Much of that stuff can be given to Clyde instead if he gets in, but is not a moveset clone of Lincoln.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm happy with Rocko's moveset as is, he's probably the most well-balanced full zoner I've played as or against in a platform fighter, and I really like the choice to have him use a tiny jackhammer as a projectile instead of riding one - since if he rode a jackhammer he'd basically just have his hurtbox elevated on top of a giant hitbox. Up special threw me off at first given he never grabs onto a tiny firework in the show, but I think it's a fun move that fits his play style, the very vague opening titles and Future Schlock/Static Cling references in the move are enough for me. My only gripes are that Spunky bites opponents instead of licking them (not really a gameplay thing so not that important to me) and how powerful his up air "light" is.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I do agree that his moveset could've had much more effort! Plus there's a LOT of emphasis on his Yoyo, which he only uses in one brief scene of one episode. He also never uses a spinning top at any point.

The Scooter is from the episode "Fool Me Twice"

scooter.PNG

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
As somebody who mains Lincoln, but hasn't seen much of his show, I really like his moveset - he's a really fun swordie/turtle character. The only thing I don't like is the neutral special, which is completely useless. Even his up special (generally considered one of the worst in the game) I think can be really fun to time correctly. I really like the emphasis on yo-yo moves, it makes him appear very stylish and swift when you pull off a combo. I wouldn't want it changed (besides the neutral special) for the world.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If I were to give Nick franchises with only one fighter a second character:
  • Ickis (Real Monsters)
  • Cliff (Catdog)
  • Vlad or either Skulker (Danny Phantom)
  • Odie (Garfield)
  • Arnold (Hey Arnold)
  • Dib (Invader Zim)
  • Jimmy Neutron (Jimmy Neutron)
  • Queen Vexus (Teenager Robot)
  • Heffer or either Filburt (Modern Life)
  • Tommy (Rugrats)
  • Eliza (Thornberrys)
I'm going to do this too, but give every franchises a new rep just for fun:
Spongebob: Squidward
Legend of Korra: Asami
Loud house: I don't know too much the show but I'm going with Luan because I think a moveset based on jokes can be fun.
TMNT: Master Splinter
Ren and Stimpy: Mr Horse I guess? He's the only prominent character I can think of.
Invader Zim: Dib
CatDog: Winslow
Rugrats: Angelica
Thornberrys: Eliza
Hey Arnold: Arnold
Danny Phantom: Vlad
Real monsters: Ickis
Garfield: Odie
Jenny robot: Queen Vexus
Jimmy Neutron: Jimmy
Rocko: Heffer

If Eliza was in Nick All Star as the 2nd Thornberrys rep, I picture her using actual animals to fight with in battle.

Different from Nigel who mimics animals.
My moveset idea is that she could fight on her own a bit but also use Darwin for help.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This is an idea I used to bring up a lot in the pre-launch days, and feel like re-exploring it now since I've been watching a lot of the Nick Knacks videos: what would y'all think of the Silver Ball or a puppet from Pinwheel as a playable fighter?

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
This is an idea I used to bring up a lot in the pre-launch days, and feel like re-exploring it now since I've been watching a lot of the Nick Knacks videos: what would y'all think of the Silver Ball or a puppet from Pinwheel as a playable fighter?
Thinking on it, I'm surprised the Silver Ball wasn't in Sports mode.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
not to make light of a bad situation, but do y'all think NASB will see an influx of players when MVS' online servers go down?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Realistically, no, as they're two very different games that have two very different communities. Most of the folks who still play NASB are very gameplay focused, and NASB and MV have like...two entirely opposite types of gameplay.

Top Bottom