• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Speaking of assists, that’s something the game needs in general: a bunch more appearances from non-playable characters. It’s one thing to get Hugh instead of Jimmy playable, but for none of the other main JN characters to show up anywhere else in the game is certainly an odd decision. Granted my assumption is it just wasn’t in the budget to make that many models, but generally speaking I think a bunch of appearances of Nick characters in non playable roles would go a long way
In that case though why go through the effort of all the background cameos? I mean you can barely see, say, The Gromble for example on The Dump, but we know he has a pretty high quality model through the gallery. Same with characters like Gary, the Box Ghost, and Miss Wakeman. It's just weird imo. Like at the very least, since most stages have at least one cameo, might as well use them for something more than just background detail.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
In that case though why go through the effort of all the background cameos? I mean you can barely see, say, The Gromble for example on The Dump, but we know he has a pretty high quality model through the gallery. Same with characters like Gary, the Box Ghost, and Miss Wakeman. It's just weird imo. Like at the very least, since most stages have at least one cameo, might as well use them for something more than just background detail.
Well working under the assumption that assists are more complicated to implement than items and items took, what, almost a year to be added post launch, I think it’s safe to assume it just wasn’t in the scope of the first game’s budget/time of development.

It probably gets tiring hearing the same “it probably wasn’t in the budget/time frame of release” for a lot of NASB’s shortcomings but I think it’s fair to assume that’s the case here

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So turning a uniquely-shaped stage with unique mechanics and elements into a generic block with a swing is somehow a good thing? Making a stage "competitive friendly" fundamentally sucks the soul out of it because you're taking away what gave the stage character and memorability. And they could've easily removed the walk-off while keeping everything else.
One man's trash is another man's treasure, amigo. For a comp-focused mod like Project M, turning the absolute cluster**** that is GHZ into "a generic block with a swing" is absolutely a good thing. Even when I played Smash casually with my friends, GHZ was one of the many stages we all avoided because it was just plain bad to play on, even with hazards off. Not every stage needs to be Glove World or Space Madness. (Also a stage with a swinging platform is genuinely super unique for a comp layout, but apparently that doesn't matter because the ground doesn't explode.)
(I'm also offended that you'd force that adorable Drifloon to display for such a **** take)
I would say that's uncalled for, but at this point I feel you either know or don't care. :drwtf:

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I would say that's uncalled for, but at this point I feel you either know or don't care. :drwtf:

:drflip:

One man's trash is another man's treasure, amigo. For a comp-focused mod like Project M, turning the absolute cluster**** that is GHZ into "a generic block with a swing" is absolutely a good thing. Even when I played Smash casually with my friends, GHZ was one of the many stages we all avoided because it was just plain bad to play on, even with hazards off. Not every stage needs to be Glove World or Space Madness. (Also a stage with a swinging platform is genuinely super unique for a comp layout, but apparently that doesn't matter because the ground doesn't explode.)
Nobody's asking for every stage to be chaotic like Space Madness, but the Project M team could've done WAY better to make it more interesting. And just because Project M did it doesn't mean NASB need to emulate it. Even a less actiony stage like Hardcore Chores still stands out due to giving it a unique factor that makes it memorable. Swinging platforms are unique, a single one with a generic block of land isn't. Nobody said the ground needs to explode, but not everything should have to be a tourney pick either. Again, the Project M team could've tried WAY harder, even they don't make every single stage tourney-friendly.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Man I really want to like Space Madness. I dunno how I'd fix it... Probably by not letting the platforms sink, or by making the scrolling slower. Or making a bigger platform in the center and making the other stuff float by above it?

The stage concept is really fun and the music slaps but it's just not fun to fight on.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Man I really want to like Space Madness. I dunno how I'd fix it... Probably by not letting the platforms sink, or by making the scrolling slower. Or making a bigger platform in the center and making the other stuff float by above it?

The stage concept is really fun and the music slaps but it's just not fun to fight on.
I agree, slowing the platforms down would make a huge difference!

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

I’d make it sink at about half the speed it does now, move at half the speed it does now and just make a majority of the platforms bigger, quite a few of them can barely hold two people

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
:drflip:

Nobody's asking for every stage to be chaotic like Space Madness, but the Project M team could've done WAY better to make it more interesting. And just because Project M did it doesn't mean NASB need to emulate it. Even a less actiony stage like Hardcore Chores still stands out due to giving it a unique factor that makes it memorable. Swinging platforms are unique, a single one with a generic block of land isn't. Nobody said the ground needs to explode, but not everything should have to be a tourney pick either. Again, the Project M team could've tried WAY harder, even they don't make every single stage tourney-friendly.
Not to mention that the devs destroyed a crazy, casual oriented stage for the sake of competitive play. They took the tombstones out of the Royal Woods Cemetery because the competitive players felt that RWC would make for a much better FD clone than Harmonic Convergence because the size of the former was much more accurate to FD's size in Smash.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Not to mention that the devs destroyed a crazy, casual oriented stage for the sake of competitive play. They took the tombstones out of the Royal Woods Cemetery because the competitive players felt that RWC would make for a much better FD clone than Harmonic Convergence because the size of the former was much more accurate to FD's size in Smash.
I'm pretty sure Harmonic's size is actually closer to the Smash version of FD, Royal Woods' short length is better for a noplat stage in a competitive environment.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Project M has more than a few things I very much dislike, like the reversion of Falco to his Melee self, but giving some older stages more competitively viable formats is something I really like.

Especially for NASB, where a lot of the more casual stages are borderline unplayable even in a casual setting...and that's coming from someone who's more okay with 75m than most folks are lol. Space Madness, Glove World, and Teeter Totter Gulch are probably the worst offenders here.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
While I agree that was a bit of a bummer in a general sense, Harmonic was definitely too big for a comp stage and I can’t recall anyone liking the tombstone hazards anyways

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Project M has more than a few things I very much dislike, like the reversion of Falco to his Melee self, but giving some older stages more competitively viable formats is something I really like.

Especially for NASB, where a lot of the more casual stages are borderline unplayable even in a casual setting...and that's coming from someone who's more okay with 75m than most folks are lol. Space Madness, Glove World, and Teeter Totter Gulch are probably the worst offenders here.
Aside from the obvious, I remember Hardcore Chores (the Rocko stage) being pretty miserable to fight on due to how specific of an angle you need to be hit at to even die. It's like if Hyrule Fight Club was a stage. I remember a friend and I tried playing on that stage the day Rocko dropped, and we legit timed out because we were living so long. We mutually agreed to never pick that stage again after that.
Other than that, Omashu is way too big even for chaotic FFAs; Double Dare nukes performance and also reuses TTG's not-very-fun hazard; the Ghost Zone has those awful masses up top that make killing vertically basically impossible; the Loud House is a walkoff with all the badness that entails; and Wild Waterfall's too vertical and the main areas of play are way too close to the blastzones. For what it's worth, I actually think stages like Technodrome Takedown, Flying Dutchman's Ship, The Dump, and CatDog's House strike a really good balance with their unconventional (but not too exploitable) layouts without any annoying hazards. That's when I think this game's stages are at their best.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I wonder if we're assuming too low for potential amount of newcomers in a sequel. I mean they managed to launch with 20 characters and 20 stages, I think like 9-12 range would be doable for a sequel, especially since that wouldn't be nearly as many stages either

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I wonder if we're assuming too low for potential amount of newcomers in a sequel. I mean they managed to launch with 20 characters and 20 stages, I think like 9-12 range would be doable for a sequel, especially since that wouldn't be nearly as many stages either
I think splitting the difference and saying 10 would probably be doable.

Given that number, here's who I'd like to see personally.

1. Jimmy
2. Timmy
3. El Tigre
4. Otto Rocket/Reggie Rocket (Either/Or)
5. Skulker
6. Zuko
7. Squidward
8. Raphael
9. Donatello
10. Miko Kubota

If we do 12? Bloom and Daggett.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I think splitting the difference and saying 10 would probably be doable.

Given that number, here's who I'd like to see personally.

1. Jimmy
2. Timmy
3. El Tigre
4. Otto Rocket/Reggie Rocket (Either/Or)
5. Skulker
6. Zuko
7. Squidward
8. Raphael
9. Donatello
10. Miko Kubota

If we do 12? Bloom and Daggett.
any particular reason why Skulker over say Vlad or Ember?

also I went ahead and made a new roster prediction (emphasis on prediction, as some of y'all are not gonna like certain characters being here) based on this increased hypothetical roster count, except mine has 11 instead of 10

1677893386547.png

Edit: Ok thinking over this more Casey doesn't even make sense as an 80's TMNT bias pick as he was only in five episodes in the OG show (yes really)

so instead pretend that's like, idk, Odie

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
any particular reason why Skulker over say Vlad or Ember?

also I went ahead and made a new roster prediction (emphasis on prediction, as some of y'all are not gonna like certain characters being here) based on this increased hypothetical roster count, except mine has 11 instead of 10

View attachment 368929

Edit: Ok thinking over this more Casey doesn't even make sense as an 80's TMNT bias pick as he was only in five episodes in the OG show (yes really)

so instead pretend that's like, idk, Odie
Skulker I just think I would also consider to be one of Danny's archenemies while not sharing a similar powerset to him. He also has the benefit of having a lot of weaponry, which is pretty scarce in NASB.

In terms of archenemies for Danny, I think only really Vlad, Skulker, and maybe Technus(?) are ones I'd consider to have the most real potential moveset wise and have enough appearances to really be considered an archenemy.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I myself think that Arnold is a pretty likely addition. I actually think that he's more likely to get in than Timmy by virtue of being a very popular 90s icon and we don't have much of those they can add at this point.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
So interesting thing I just discovered, there’s actually a free to play mobile version of Nickelodeon Kart Racers (and may I add it looks suprisingly solid graphically for a mobile game)

But anyways, this mobile version only has a set amount of characters, those being:
SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, Tommy, Angelica, Reptar, Arnold, Helga, Aang, Mikey, Donatello and Jojo

Meaning that this is the second game to not have all 4 turtles playable (though here it’s a bit more inexcusable seeing as they have Jojo)

So yeah, that’s a thing I guess

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So interesting thing I just discovered, there’s actually a free to play mobile version of Nickelodeon Kart Racers (and may I add it looks suprisingly solid graphically for a mobile game)

But anyways, this mobile version only has a set amount of characters, those being:
SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, Tommy, Angelica, Reptar, Arnold, Helga, Aang, Mikey, Donatello and Jojo

Meaning that this is the second game to not have all 4 turtles playable (though here it’s a bit more inexcusable seeing as they have Jojo)

So yeah, that’s a thing I guess
Didn't Extreme Tennis only have Mikey too?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I made a tier list for potential second Rocko reps IMO
1678052811575.png

One thing I should note is that my ranking for Gordon is assuming it's just him alone - if he were paired with the Hopping Hessian, I'd probably rank him above with Peter and the Chameleon Brothers, or maybe even in the 3rd column with Earl, Peaches, and Rachel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wasn't Shredder just a minor "shows up, dies, never talked about again" villain in the original Mirage run?
partly. He came back a couple times but was'nt the major villain he became in later adaptions.

I think they're most likely saving any Footclan stuff for sequals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I made a moveset for the other grouchy neighbour
The proto-Squidward serves as a ROB style heavyweight zoner. His main weakness is being very, very slow.

• Light: Slap! - Ed slaps forwards, with his hand expanding (Reference: none)
  • Light Up: Geyser Trouble - A geyser of water comes out of the ground, making Ed jump up and scream, this move is quite long for a light move in NASB, but the jump is high enough to get Ed onto certain platforms and can be cancelled into regular jumps or his up special. The geyser doesn’t have a hitbox. (Reference: Pipe Dreams)
  • Light Down - Cleaning the House - Ed hoovers forwards. Can be repeatedly used like April’s Dlight. (Reference: Unaired Pilot Intro)
  • Light Dash - Pinhead - Ed throws a bowling ball forwards. This projectile can’t be reflected, but strong attacks will destroy it like light attacks would. He doesn’t even need two balls to win this one! (Reference: Gutter Balls)
  • Light Air - Nose Master 3000 - Ed takes off the Nose-Master 3000 to reveal that his eyes have transformed into noses. The hitbox of this move is on the machine, not the noses. (Reference: Canned)
  • Light Up Air: Clowning Around - Ed juggles bowling pins as a multihit attack (reference: Closet Clown)
  • Light Down Air - Eye Slam - Ed’s eyes stretch out of their sockets and slam down. Spikes. (reference: recurring gag)
  • Strong: Sweatin’ In Your Undies - Ed bashes his absolutely audacious amphibian butt (alliteration, what’s that?) into the foe, complete with wacky fart sound effect. If the princess is allowed to do it, why can’t he? (Reference: Old Fogey Froggy)
  • Strong Up: Fogey Bogey - Ed swings a golf club up (Reference: Teed Off)
  • Strong Down: Gasp!! - Ed, holding important paperwork, reels back in shock and shouts “I’M FIRED??”, spreading the paper everywhere behind him in an arc. In a match between Ed and Rocko, the RPS advantage of this move against Rocko’s mid strong makes the best way to react to getting fired literally reacting to it! Hits both sides (Reference: recurring character trait)
  • Strong Dash: Super Manky Ball - Ed rolls around in a Zorb ball (reference: Wacky Delly)
  • Strong Air: Pirate Slash - Ed gets out a “pirate sword” (plunger) and spins in an arc. Getting drowsy yet? (Reference: Sailing the 7 ZZZZZs)
  • Strong Up Air: Car Hijack - Ed hijacks a car in panic, sending foes up as he plummets down (Reference: Frog’s Best Friend)
  • Strong Down Air: Big Shoulders - Ed poses with his big cardboard shoulders, then slams them down. A laggy spike move somewhat similar to Ittle Dew’s Strong Air in Slap City (Reference: Ed Good, Rocko Bad)
  • Special: Throwing Plates - Ed throws a plate forwards for this saucy attack (referring to the uncleaned stains, of course), this is a very weak attack that freezes foes in place, and drops when it hits - Ed can then follow it up with any attack. If the move is used again before cooldown expires, Ed can stretch his tongue, this serves as a long-range grab on projectiles in most situations, but can also shatter the plate and create an even bigger hitbox. If it hits a foe, it's basically just a regular hit. (Reference: recurring character trait)
  • Up Special: Toad on Toast - Ed pops out of a toaster as a vague green blob, he goes straight up, with the toaster falling and eventually exploding like Bowser Jr’s up special, somewhat similar to Ren & Stimpy’s up special, but angleable with a proper projectile that moves and can be thrown or reflected. (Reference: Opening titles)
  • Down Special: Magic Meatball - Ed throws the Magic Meatball down, which bounces, becoming faster but less powerful the more it bounces. Ed can pick it up and throw it down to be fast and weak instantly, or throw it up to let it be slow and powerful for a little longer. Throwing it forwards resets the cycle. (Reference: Magic Meatball)
  • Super Move: Heat Ray - Ed spawns his giant heat ray and blasts it onto the battlefield. The angle can be changed. (Reference: Wacky Delly)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I would be upset if NASB2 didn’t have Arnold. Helga just isn’t enough to rep this amazing show in my opinion.

Top Bottom