• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I'd rather have characters I give a **** about in my game than just memes that haven't been funny in 10 years, yes

I literally have offered a solution, not that it matters here since this isn't where I suspect the devs look: stop pandering to a limited audience that isn't doing enough to keep your game afloat. Look at the bigger picture.

I like how people are trying to keep the "rivalry" between these two alive. Also, yes, absolutely the first things I think of when I think "Warner Bros." are a cult classic film from the 80s, a niche animated film with archaic CGI blending with traditional animation, and a C tier villain to a C tier comic book hero (Gremlins, Iron Giant, and Black Adam in case it wasn't obvious).

If you're referring to it being a cashgrab, absolutely though

Oh, and for the record: I think Multiversus is rather unfun to play not based on it's selection of characters or limited map pool but because I think the fundamental mechanics of the game are bad.

I'm not some anti-NASB grouch like you all seem to think I am. I actually really enjoy it, jank and all - but I can always hope for something I love to work on it's flaws. Just because you don't see them as flaws doesn't mean I don't. I've said it a million times - you are free to like Hugh. But I'm being objective here: if you want to catch the most fish, you cast the widest net. This is an indie studio and a publishing company with a less than stellar reputation - they don't have the liberty of "doing whatever the **** we want because money and players are guaranteed."

The takeaway here is, in regards to NASB:
you're not asking for NASB to be better, you're asking for it to be popular, which isn't realistic unless they suddenly get a huge budget that allows them to even come close to matching the content of Smash

The game was already a financial success as far as Nick games go, which is more than enough to encourage Nick to keep making them (Kart Racers 1 was garbage and yet got 2 sequels that generally got better with each entry), it sustain a large audience post launch cause it looks kinda jank, didn't have Jimmy/Timmy/Jenny/Garfield at launch, didn't have voice acting at launch, didn't have items, etc. I imagine there's a good amount of people who aren't even aware NASB has voice acting/items now.

NASB will not be able to sustain a sizable audience until it has a ton of unlockables/content in general to grind for and earn, which just isn't that feasible for a low budget game

On the topic of unlockables, do you guys think NASB 2 would benefit from only having a handful of characters unlocked at the start? My argument in favor of it would be that I got the impression a lot of people gave up on NASB after a match or two due to the new controls and just generally not getting into the game. So maybe by creating incentive to unlock characters people may want to play as (say, Zim fans have to unlock Zim or something), it would not only be something players could actively work towards, but would also allow players to get more comfortable playing the game before they even get to their preferred character

Last edited:

Baysha

Smash Ace
But I'm being objective here: if you want to catch the most fish, you cast the widest net. This is an indie studio and a publishing company with a less than stellar reputation - they don't have the liberty of "doing whatever the **** we want because money and players are guaranteed."
I think that's the main crux of the whole argument here. People arguing against you just don't care about "catching the most fish," they care about playing a game that has the characters they want to play.

It's just "This game might be more successful if the roster wasn't as memey." "But I like the meme characters and I don't care about other people playing the game." "But this game might be more successful if the roster wasn't as memey." "But I like the meme characters and I don't care about other people playing the game." ad infinitum.

The main reason I think people act like this is that they feel their opinions must be as "objective" as they can be and so they latch onto any objective that supports their opinion and try to use that to say they're "right" and to justify their opinion without realizing that "I just prefer it this way" is a perfectly valid reason. This is one of the reasons why I think that these conversations are so circular that they're on their way to overtake 2*pi*r as the most efficient way to calculate a circle. In other words, how's the 8367547411467y532369th time going?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
On the topic of unlockables, do you guys think NASB 2 would benefit from only having a handful of characters unlocked at the start? My argument in favor of it would be that I got the impression a lot of people gave up on NASB after a match or two due to the new controls and just generally not getting into the game. So maybe by creating incentive to unlock characters people may want to play as (say, Zim fans have to unlock Zim or something), it would not only be something players could actively work towards, but would also allow players to get more comfortable playing the game before they even get to their preferred character
Eh... I understand the rationale behind unlockable characters, but in practice, I think all it really does is make people wait longer to get to the stuff they like. If you go in wanting to main, say, Garfield, but he's locked behind 100 VS matches, guess you're either picking up a new main for those matches or grinding CPUs like hell. Even if the requirements for unlocking them aren't as tedious, it's just an extra barrier for people who already know who they wanna play going in. At best, you might squeeze a few extra hours out of the casuals, but the people who will go out of their way to unlock every character will probably just try every character right off the bat anyway.
And that's to say nothing of how the TO's would feel - lest we forget how much of a hellscape it was trying to run custom moves in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
There's a scenario where having the meme characters AND popular characters can exist, and an easy one at that.

But Hugh or no Hugh, that wasn't going to fix the deeper issues with the game, namely that it launched in a bad state and never really recovered off that.

There are plenty of success from failure stories in recent years, namely No Man's Sky and to a lesser degree Cyberpunk 2077, but those games had massive budgets behind them to help fix(Or at least attempt to fix in 2077's case) issues.

I don't think NASB can do something quite to those degrees though, because it'd need Viacom/Nick to give the game a much, MUCH higher budget than what it currently has.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
you're not asking for NASB to be better, you're asking for it to be popular, which isn't realistic unless they suddenly get a huge budget that allows them to even come close to matching the content of Smash

The game was already a financial success as far as Nick games go, which is more than enough to encourage Nick to keep making them (Kart Racers 1 was garbage and yet got 2 sequels that generally got better with each entry), it sustain a large audience post launch cause it looks kinda jank, didn't have Jimmy/Timmy/Jenny/Garfield at launch, didn't have voice acting at launch, didn't have items, etc. I imagine there's a good amount of people who aren't even aware NASB has voice acting/items now.

NASB will not be able to sustain a sizable audience until it has a ton of unlockables/content in general to grind for and earn, which just isn't that feasible for a low budget game

What better way to give the game more polish and more content than by getting more sales? What do you not understand about that? I don't care if the game is popular one way or another - I like it whether it's popular or not - but in order to receive more content the game HAS to do well enough to warrant it. And meme choices people talk about for 20 minutes rather than characters people actually want are not the way to do that.

Shroob

Sup?
Unlockable characters had more of a purpose in the days before the internet became big and online play, where they were a secret and a fun surprise, but now that the whole roster is known going in it just feels like needles extra work.
It's definitely a grandfathered mechanic at this point, yeah.

Back in they days of say, Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter for Arcades, it was legit genius, but nowadays, it's like... ehhhhh?

Smash can kinda get away with it since it's always been that way, and there's enough people who actually do enjoy unlocking characters, but it's really an outdated, albeit still cool, mechanic in other fighting games nowadays.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Says the one who thinks that a block with a swing is the kind of stage NASB should be gunning for. "Don't copy Smash unless it's specifically popular competitive stage layouts!"
That's not a Smash layout, that's a Project M layout. Also, what does that have to do with what I was saying anyway? It's not like PM or its stages has particular mainstream appeal. Also, I never said not to copy design elements from Smash, I've only really ever been against copying roster hierarchy and marketing from Smash.
If Smash was just Melee without most of the single-player content it wouldn't be where it is today.
And that would've been for the better. No trailers, no marketing hype, no impact on represented franchises' fandoms, just peace.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's not a Smash layout, that's a Project M layout. Also, what does that have to do with what I was saying anyway? It's not like PM or its stages has particular mainstream appeal. Also, I never said not to copy design elements from Smash, I've only really ever been against copying roster hierarchy and marketing from Smash.

And that would've been for the better. No trailers, no marketing hype, no impact on represented franchises' fandoms, just peace.
...You realize that essentially asking for Smash to have flopped during Melee would have made sure this game never got the chance to exist, right?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was talking about Smash in isolation.
I get that, but it's also, at best, ignorant to act as though such a thing would exist in a vacuum. Platform fighters becoming their own genre was literally only something that happened due to Smash being as successful as it is. Wishing for Smash to have always been a low-key indie budget title with zero marketing power has a lot of long reaching consequences.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
...You realize that essentially asking for Smash to have flopped during Melee would have made sure this game never got the chance to exist, right?
WWW...doesn't realize the consequences of various things he's asking for, and how half of them make the other half impossible. He wouldn't mind NASB getting third-parties that are anything but Nick all-stars...but that requires NASB to have a much bigger fanbase to get that funding and he doesn't want that.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
WWW...doesn't realize the consequences of various things he's asking for, and how half of them make the other half impossible. He wouldn't mind NASB getting third-parties that are anything but Nick all-stars...but that requires NASB to have a much bigger fanbase to get that funding and he doesn't want that.
When's the last time I talked about third parties? Half a year ago at most recent I'd guess. I've changed my mind since then.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I’m not fond of the idea of third party characters unless they’re like very closely associated with Nickelodeon (Monster High, Winx, maybe Power Rangers, etc)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That was completely uncalled for but considering it's coming from you I'm not surprised
no what’s uncalled for was you entire attitude. your assumptions that I was being deliberately negative all the time rather than just expressing an opinion. and your refusal to accept any suggestion that you were mistaken. what you do is exactly what you were complaining about the anti HP crowd doing to you. uncalled for? maybe but it’s still true. it’s how you painted yourself in every single interaction we’ve had

you look for people to be bad and never once thought how you must be looking for the other person’s point of view

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
no what’s uncalled for was you entire attitude. your assumptions that I was being deliberately negative all the time rather than just expressing an opinion. and your refusal to accept any suggestion that you were mistaken. what you do is exactly what you were complaining about the anti HP crowd doing to you. uncalled for? maybe but it’s still true. it’s how you painted yourself in every single interaction we’ve had

you look for people to be bad and never once thought how you must be looking for the other person’s point of view
The reason i told you that is because every interaction I've ever seen you participate in you come off as rude. Maybe change the way you talk to be more friendly instead of blaming it on other people.

I don't purposefully look to find people who I disagree with, but you definitely do. You're general attitude comes off with an air of arrogance, and that's not just a you problem here. And if mine does the same, then I apologize, but at the same time, you don't fix the problem by ignoring it or by being a jerk about expressing it.

And how dare you even try to compare the bullying and physical violence and death threats I've received to me saying that hey maybe they should prioritize characters people actually want. At the end of the day this is just a disagreement about a stupid game and I would never send threats or bully people over that. Just because I disagree with W3's spicy takes doesn't mean I want the dude to drop dead. That's completely uncalled for to.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The reason i told you that is because every interaction I've ever seen you participate in you come off as rude. Maybe change the way you talk to be more friendly instead of blaming it on other people.

I don't purposefully look to find people who I disagree with, but you definitely do. You're general attitude comes off with an air of arrogance, and that's not just a you problem here. And if mine does the same, then I apologize, but at the same time, you don't fix the problem by ignoring it or by being a jerk about expressing it.

And how dare you even try to compare the actual bullying and death threats I've received to me saying that hey maybe they should prioritize characters people actually want. Just because I disagree with W3's spicy takes doesn't mean I want the dude to drop dead. That's completely uncalled for to.
I can’t help the way I come across I have communication disabilities. But every time I tried to explain my actions and intentions you refused to believe me. I know what my problems are but if you honestly think that you can get people to change the way you do it then you are naive. I am doomed to spend my life misinterpreting people’s attitudes and for the reverse to happen to me. but you refused to accept my explanations

funny that’s how you sound to me. the refusal to acknowledge my explanations for my behaviour, the constant ascertain that you were never mistaken.

you are a bully. You are a hypocrite. right after you first told me you never seen see me say anything positive I only ever saw you say negative things as well. Difference was I do assume that I had seen every single one of your posts. As you said in regards to them you weren’t looking at the whole picture. also you compared me to drax which was flat out ableist. so yeah there’s no good guys here

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I can’t help the way I come across I have communication disabilities. But every time I tried to explain my actions and intentions you refused to believe me. I know what my problems are but if you honestly think that you can get people to change the way you do it then you are naive. I am doomed to spend my life misinterpreting people’s attitudes and for the reverse to happen to me. but you refused to accept my explanations

funny that’s how you sound to me. the refusal to acknowledge my explanations for my behaviour, the constant ascertain that you were never mistaken.

you are a bully. You are a hypocrite. right after you first told me you never seen see me say anything positive I only ever saw you say negative things as well. Difference was I do assume that I had seen every single one of your posts. As you said in regards to them you weren’t looking at the whole picture. also you compared me to drax which was flat out ableist. so yeah there’s no good guys here
Making a joke about not getting metaphors is not ableist. For it to be ableist you have to admit that Drax is disabled which he clearly is not. His inability to understand metaphors is not a disability, it's a character quirk. That jab I took at you was completely harmless, but if you genuinely did take offense to it, I'm sorry that it hurt your feelings. It wasn't meant to be anything that serious.

For the record, I was not aware you had communication issues. But rather than accept that you have difficulties and giving up, why not try to learn something and try to work on it? And if you are working on it, good on you.

But, and don't take this the wrong way - you absolutely can help the way you talk to people. First step is to ask people what bothers them so much about you and asking for advice and help in learning how to do so. Believing you're incapable of improving is just self-defeating, man.

If you can believe it, even if you don't like me now, I used to be a lot worse to people in general. It took me a long time to open up and grow as a person but I did. I believe that you can do it, but only if you don't give up on yourself after one or two failures.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
You claim that being more predictable/picking bigger characters and choices is "corporate, soul-sucking" yet you praise and defend a stage that literally took one of the most UNIQUE stages in Smash and SUCKED THE SOUL OUT OF IT. See where your logic fails?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I don't purposefully look to find people who I disagree with, but you definitely do. You're general attitude comes off with an air of arrogance, and that's not just a you problem here.
Assuming tone/demeanor over text is like one of the basic no-no’s of being in online spaces…

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Making a joke about not getting metaphors is not ableist. For it to be ableist you have to admit that Drax is disabled which he clearly is not. His inability to understand metaphors is not a disability, it's a character quirk. That jab I took at you was completely harmless, but if you genuinely did take offense to it, I'm sorry that it hurt your feelings. It wasn't meant to be anything that serious.

For the record, I was not aware you had communication issues. But rather than accept that you have difficulties and giving up, why not try to learn something and try to work on it? And if you are working on it, good on you.

But, and don't take this the wrong way - you absolutely can help the way you talk to people. First step is to ask people what bothers them so much about you and asking for advice and help in learning how to do so. Believing you're incapable of improving is just self-defeating, man.

If you can believe it, even if you don't like me now, I used to be a lot worse to people in general. It took me a long time to open up and grow as a person but I did. I believe that you can do it, but only if you don't give up on yourself after one or two failures.
alright but be more careful. And I’m sorry for the comparison to the anti HP crowd. I may not like the franchise anymore but I do know how it feels to get grief for liking certain things.

well that’s down me cause I don’t always admit to it out of habit. But I have reached a point in my life where I realise I’ve got to admit it. Communication problems are something you’re always working on and in the heat of the moment you forget it all.

believe it or not I do try these things but the problem is that I feel nobody else is trying. I encounter so many people who take the ability to communicate for granted.

i get that, I used to be a lot more cheerful. I still like to crack jokes at people, trouble is a lot of Scottish humour is based on insults so it doesn’t translate well. And I don’t always remember to put in the thing that indicates a joke. But when I say these negative opinions I’m not being that guy those are actually my opinions. And trust me the closer we get to Zelda the more positive ones you’ll see

Might I suggest we make peace and agree maybe we were both wrong about the other. And then we call get back to saying who we think should be on the roster

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You claim that being more predictable/picking bigger characters and choices is "corporate, soul-sucking" yet you praise and defend a stage that literally took one of the most UNIQUE stages in Smash and SUCKED THE SOUL OUT OF IT. See where your logic fails?
I really do not see your point about how making Green Hill Zone more comp-friendly "sucked the soul out of it." Some people don't like playing on walkoffs, sorry. :drshrug:
Also this is glorifed ad hom from another thread. Why do you guys keep doing this?

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I really do not see your point about how making Green Hill Zone more comp-friendly "sucked the soul out of it." Some people don't like playing on walkoffs, sorry. :drshrug:
Also this is glorifed ad-hom from another thread. Why do you guys keep doing this?

So turning a uniquely-shaped stage with unique mechanics and elements into a generic block with a swing is somehow a good thing? Making a stage "competitive friendly" fundamentally sucks the soul out of it because you're taking away what gave the stage character and memorability. And they could've easily removed the walk-off while keeping everything else.

(I'm also offended that you'd force that adorable Drifloon to display for such a **** take)

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If you don't like competitive platform fighter design to the point of considering the presence of competitive options detrimental, why are you playing the game that's entire marketing campaign was basically just screenshots of Discord posts saying "we have wavedashing and rollback netcode"?? NASB is probably the most casual friendly non-Smash platform fighter out there, but it's still trying heavily to please competitive fans.

And they could've easily removed the walk-off while keeping everything else.
Are we talking about the same base stage? The one that splits in half when you hit the ground? the one with the balloons that rise out of the ground like the speakers from Teletubbies to hit everyone expect the person who touched it first?

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
alright but be more careful. And I’m sorry for the comparison to the anti HP crowd. I may not like the franchise anymore but I do know how it feels to get grief for liking certain things.

well that’s down me cause I don’t always admit to it out of habit. But I have reached a point in my life where I realise I’ve got to admit it. Communication problems are something you’re always working on and in the heat of the moment you forget it all.

believe it or not I do try these things but the problem is that I feel nobody else is trying. I encounter so many people who take the ability to communicate for granted.

i get that, I used to be a lot more cheerful. I still like to crack jokes at people, trouble is a lot of Scottish humour is based on insults so it doesn’t translate well. And I don’t always remember to put in the thing that indicates a joke. But when I say these negative opinions I’m not being that guy those are actually my opinions. And trust me the closer we get to Zelda the more positive ones you’ll see

Might I suggest we make peace and agree maybe we were both wrong about the other. And then we call get back to saying who we think should be on the roster
I can agree to that. No harm, no foul man.

Yeah, the culture gap can definitely make communications more difficult. What's seen as appropriate to say and how to say over there would come off as incredibly offensive or rude to your average American. That said, the way my culture dictates seeing anyone who disagrees with you... I'll admit I still haven't fully broken free from. I'm trying, but it does take time.

Kinda the direct opposite for me. I used to be nothing but miserable constantly, a lot of the times due to harassment and bullying, and so naturally I get kinda defensive because there's still that vulnerable kid in me too. But I'm getting better. I finally have a career that makes me feel positive (even if I really do need to invest in some blue light glasses dear lord).

Communication at the end of the day is a talent that takes years to craft, and what little they do teach in school speaks absolutely nothing of the nuance and complexities that actual practical communication requires. School only reaches the basics, not the intracate parts. Those have to be learned through trial and error on part of the person, and that can be frustrating.

In regards to characters I actually think would be kinda cool, a character I don't see brought up is Bloom from Winx Club. It's an quired property like the turtles but it is fully owned by Nick and considered a Nicktoon. I never watched the show, but the design is memorable and a mage or magical girl esque moveset is something no platform fighter has ever really gotten right imo.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If you don't like competitive platform fighter design to the point of considering the presence of competitive options detrimental, why are you playing the game that's entire marketing campaign was basically just screenshots of Discord posts saying "we have wavedashing and rollback netcode"?? NASB is probably the most casual friendly non-Smash platform fighter out there, but it's still trying heavily to please competitive fans.
Because this game is still trying to emulate competitive Smash stages and I really don't want to see potentially creative locations be forced to have boring and soulless layouts for the sake of appeasing an extremely vocal minority of Smash fans. It feels like they're checking boxes off of a list when it comes to layouts. The game already has plenty of competitive options, and if you want more then ask the Devs to implement Omega/Battlefield forms. That way everyone wins.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
if you want more then ask the Devs to implement Omega/Battlefield forms. That way everyone wins.
1. Competitive players want more than BF/FD
2. Even as someone who barely plays with items I'd rather have the resources they'd have to spend on making BF/FD versions of every stage be spent on casual side content. Smash tournaments don't bother with BF/FD forms.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Because this game is still trying to emulate competitive Smash stages and I really don't want to see potentially creative locations be forced to have boring and soulless layouts for the sake of appeasing an extremely vocal minority of Smash fans. It feels like they're checking boxes off of a list when it comes to layouts. The game already has plenty of competitive options, and if you want more then ask the Devs to implement Omega/Battlefield forms. That way everyone wins.
You didn't answer my question.

Omega forms???? You really just think a bunch of Battlefield and FD clones is a viable competitive stage selection?? FD isn't even a neutral stage!

Also, pleasing that "vocal minority" is the only smart option - they're vocal for a reason, Smash itself does a really good job of pleasing casual fans, to the point where the mere idea of an alternative game is laughable to most casual fans, but competitive fans have consistently been left in the dust since Brawl, with most nods towards them since being poorly thought out at best (watch a Smash tournament and see how many times Omegas are chosen over the generic BF and FD) - it's pretty clear which crowd the audience for an alternative game would come from primarily.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Rango was produced by Nick Movies and is still owned by Paramount (and Nick has done deals with Netflix in the past, so some of their stuff running parallel on Paramount+ and Netflix isn't unusual), so it's definitely a possibility. I don't know how much demand he has, though. he typically isn't on any polls so it's hard to gauge.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Rango just got added to Netflix again, forgot how much I love this movie, still think it’d be a really cool inclusion but not sure if Nick actually owns him or not and I’m struggling to think of a moveset that wouldn’t involve his gun
One thing's for sure - we're not getting the man the myth the legend to voice him even if he does get added which is big sad

They'd probably get the guy who voiced Jack in KH3 to voice him tbh

By the by I'd argue Multiversus is actually the more casual focused game being that it's whole thing is 2v2 which is kind of just impossible to properly balance and thrives on chaos, whereas NASB clearly is looking to the Melee crowd for it's popularity... Which it kinda fails at not gonna lie. Melee fans are gonna stick with Melee, and that jank isn't easy to capture in a bottle in a way that makes it necessarily fun. It also suffers from many of the same issues I've always had with Melee, like the lack of oomph on attacks and the movement feeling just... Weird, I don't know how to explain it. That doesn't mean NASB isn't fun, but it's definitely has an identity crisis of both wanting to be its own thing and also be cieling level competitive Smash... I would rather it pick one and go all in on that. Frankly, I'd rather it be more casual focused because when I think of Nickelodeon I think of easygoing cartoons as opposed to a majority of the Smash roster which I think of the high intensity action of their games. I think NASB would benefit greatly from more items, assists, and some admittedly less janky but still fun stage layouts (Traffic Jam is so close to being good for me but just misses the mark).

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
One thing's for sure - we're not getting the man the myth the legend to voice him even if he does get added which is big sad

They'd probably get the guy who voiced Jack in KH3 to voice him tbh

By the by I'd argue Multiversus is actually the more casual focused game being that it's whole thing is 2v2 which is kind of just impossible to properly balance and thrives on chaos, whereas NASB clearly is looking to the Melee crowd for it's popularity... Which it kinda fails at not gonna lie. Melee fans are gonna stick with Melee, and that jank isn't easy to capture in a bottle in a way that makes it necessarily fun. It also suffers from many of the same issues I've always had with Melee, like the lack of oomph on attacks and the movement feeling just... Weird, I don't know how to explain it. That doesn't mean NASB isn't fun, but it's definitely has an identity crisis of both wanting to be its own thing and also be cieling level competitive Smash... I would rather it pick one and go all in on that. Frankly, I'd rather it be more casual focused because when I think of Nickelodeon I think of easygoing cartoons as opposed to a majority of the Smash roster which I think of the high intensity action of their games. I think NASB would benefit greatly from more items, assists, and some admittedly less janky but still fun stage layouts (Traffic Jam is so close to being good for me but just misses the mark).
Speaking of assists, that’s something the game needs in general: a bunch more appearances from non-playable characters. It’s one thing to get Hugh instead of Jimmy playable, but for none of the other main JN characters to show up anywhere else in the game is certainly an odd decision. Granted my assumption is it just wasn’t in the budget to make that many models, but generally speaking I think a bunch of appearances of Nick characters in non playable roles would go a long way

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think NASB would benefit greatly from more items, assists, and some admittedly less janky but still fun stage layouts
...Which is how I'd like NASB2 to try and appeal to casuals anyway, rather than altering the core gameplay.

Street Fighter 6 is the same way, it's really trying to compensate for the lack of casual appeal SFV had, but the core gameplay is only simplified if you turn on simpler control schemes.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Which is funny, since we just rated the concept for an Assist-equivalent in Rate Their Chances! I do think that more NPC roles like assists would be a fun way to get more characters into the game, and would add even more life to the fights!

Top Bottom