• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean it's coming from a user who basically looks at something for 5 minutes, decides he doesn't like it, then moves on to the next thing. In all the time I've seen fogbadge on this site, I don't think I've ever seen him say anything positive about anything.

Guess I should've figured as much tho.
listen you presumptuous person I have seen a LOT of star trek and it bores to death and back. i find it quite insulting that you think because i don't like something that I haven't seen it. Well I've had plenty of experience with the things I don't, Star Wars, the Matrix, Dragon Quest, Demon May Cry, Rick and Morty I have seen/played more than enough of all of them and I did not like them. so don't go around saying I've only had five minutes experience with something. Star Trek in particular has had plenty of opportunity to change my opinion on it but it never did it just bored.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming I'd like to point out that when I submitted PaRappa the Rapper for Smash Infinite, you called him "an irrelevant character from two insiginficant 20+ year old games" or something to that extent, and when I pointed out that you were also planning to submit Geno who fits that bill as well, you replied that Geno was acceptable as an irrelevant character where PaRappa isn't for being a big Smash fan request - how come Geno's Smash popularity can offset reasoning against him, but not Donut Boy's NASB popularity?

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I'll be honest, I always wanted Hugh in the game myself, but not before Jimmy. Jimmy has a very large moveset potential and is part of the "Nicktoons Unite Squad", so having him in NASB would've been cool. The devs creating Hugh before Jimmy is just weird and feels like a desperate attempt to stay relevant by picking the meme request over the main character. Not only that, but the polls clearly show us that Jimmy was the most requested Jimmy Neutron character with Hugh being the second.

Atleast with Nigel it made sense, because to be brutally honest, The Wild Thornberrys isn't a very memorable show aside from Nigel and Donnie, and Eliza just doesn't have that large of a moveset potential.

Helga? Debatable. Arnold is known as a pacifist and I've seen people call Helga the "second protagonist" of the show, so it could work.

Once again, while it's cool we have Hugh, but I wish we had Jimmy before him.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'll be honest, I always wanted Hugh in the game myself, but not before Jimmy. Jimmy has a very large moveset potential and is part of the "Nicktoons Unite Squad", so having him in NASB would've been cool. The devs creating Hugh before Jimmy is just weird and feels like a desperate attempt to stay relevant by picking the meme request over the main character. Not only that, but the polls clearly show us that Jimmy was the most requested Jimmy Neutron character with Hugh being the second.

Atleast with Nigel it made sense, because to be brutally honest, The Wild Thornberrys isn't a very memorable show aside from Nigel and Donnie, and Eliza just doesn't have that large of a moveset potential.

Helga? Debatable. Arnold is known as a pacifist and I've seen people call Helga the "second protagonist" of the show, so it could work.

Once again, while it's cool we have Hugh, but I wish we had Jimmy before him.
Eliza does have potential for a summoner moveset.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I’m tired of the Hugh debate. No amount of “it should’ve been Jimmy” or “Hugh makes sense” or “meme picks are good” or “meme picks are bad” changes the fact that Hugh is in and Jimmy isn’t yet.

Anyways, even though it’s possible we won’t get anymore, what items do you hope to see?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’m tired of the Hugh debate. No amount of “it should’ve been Jimmy” or “Hugh makes sense” or “meme picks are good” or “meme picks are bad” changes the fact that Hugh is in and Jimmy isn’t yet.

Anyways, even though it’s possible we won’t get anymore, what items do you hope to see?
i would like to see garfield's old rubber chicken, stretch as a sort of whip like weapon

or how about that electro glove from legend of korra

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
listen you presumptuous person I have seen a LOT of star trek and it bores to death and back. i find it quite insulting that you think because i don't like something that I haven't seen it. Well I've had plenty of experience with the things I don't, Star Wars, the Matrix, Dragon Quest, Demon May Cry, Rick and Morty I have seen/played more than enough of all of them and I did not like them. so don't go around saying I've only had five minutes experience with something. Star Trek in particular has had plenty of opportunity to change my opinion on it but it never did it just bored.
Firstly, it's Devil May Cry, not Demon May Cry. That alone shows you don't have much experience with it.

Second, even if you do, it sounds to me like you're just one of those people who hates stuff because they're popular then. Again, I've literally never seen you say anything positive about anything.

IThe devs creating Hugh before Jimmy is just weird and feels like a desperate attempt to stay relevant by picking the meme request over the main character. Not only that, but the polls clearly show us that Jimmy was the most requested Jimmy Neutron character with Hugh being the second.
Thank you. That's something I wanted to mention as well but couldn't find the right phrasing for.

I think sometimes folks need to admit they just don't like a pick (which is fine!!) rather than coming up with reasons why that choice is bad
That seems like you're trying to take away from the fact I actually have reasons I don't like this pick. What's wrong with having reasons for it?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Firstly, it's Devil May Cry, not Demon May Cry. That alone shows you don't have much experience with it.

Second, even if you do, it sounds to me like you're just one of those people who hates stuff because they're popular then. Again, I've literally never seen you say anything positive about anything.
what? You never got double crossed by predictive text?

presumption upon presumption. What possible reason could you have for thinking I dislike them cause their popular? I told you why I didn’t like them and you didn’t believe me. So what’s the point in talking? If you’ve literally never seen me say anything positive then that’s more likely to mean we have different interests and visit different threads.

My username comes from Pokémon, and you think I hate stuff cause it’s popular? Talk about jumping to conclusions

Baysha

Smash Ace

Anyway, to give this post a purpose for discussion, what do y'all think about having to use grab to pick up items? I'm not really a fan personally. While I may just not be used to it, it seems to be contrary to the usually frantic item-based "casual" play.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Anyway, to give this post a purpose for discussion, what do y'all think about having to use grab to pick up items? I'm not really a fan personally. While I may just not be used to it, it seems to be contrary to the usually frantic item-based "casual" play.
Well considering in my experience grabs aren't terribly useful in this game, on the one hand, giving it a use seems like a good idea, but in practice I tend to forget which button it is since I'm playing like in using Smash controls.

what? You never got double crossed by predictive text?

presumption upon presumption. What possible reason could you have for thinking I dislike them cause their popular? I told you why I didn’t like them and you didn’t believe me. So what’s the point in talking? If you’ve literally never seen me say anything positive then that’s more likely to mean we have different interests and visit different threads.

My username comes from Pokémon, and you think I hate stuff cause it’s popular? Talk about jumping to conclusions
But you haven't given anything beyond "I tried it". No genuine reason why you don't like something. Why does it bore you? Because if you can't even explain why you dislike something, do you even actually dislike it? That's how you come off, dude.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well considering in my experience grabs aren't terribly useful in this game, on the one hand, giving it a use seems like a good idea, but in practice I tend to forget which button it is since I'm playing like in using Smash controls.

But you haven't given anything beyond "I tried it". No genuine reason why you don't like something. Why does it bore you? Because if you can't even explain why you dislike something, do you even actually dislike it? That's how you come off, dude.
I don’t see why I need to explain it but fine you really wanna know? Star Trek is dumb, badly written and unimaginative. Everything I’ve seen it do I’ve seen other sci fis do infinitely better. Characters that might has well have been cardboard cutouts, alien races that are so easily forgotten and having some of the most contrived explanations for some of the tropes they were doing. A never being able to directly address things cause they wrote themselves into a corner with that future utopia thing.

geez I don’t get this from the Trekkies in my life they just accept that I don’t like it and move on. Just because someone doesn’t explain something doesn’t mean they don’t have an explanation, not everyone is over keen to share.

D

Deleted member

Can we not do this here. This has gone well beyond off topic and just comes off as Needless and petty.

also DS9 is the best star Trek just saying. "in the pale moonlight" and "far beyond the stars" are some kf the best TV ever written imo

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I keep forgetting it's how you pick them up.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
what items do you hope to see?
You know how in the Jimmy Neutron episode "The League of Villains", Jimmy turned his gang's N-Men powers into powder packets, and Carl gave all the kids the wrong ones?

There's an idea for an item. Consume an N-Men packet, and you get the powers of a random N-Men member:
  • Invisible Sister: Self-explanatory
  • Belch Boy: Randomly stop to burp. It's comparable in damage/knockback to your average neutral strong attack.
  • Special Girl: Gain ability to hover, all attacks 50% stronger
  • Vibrating Lad: Run speed increased fast enough to go from one end of Harmonic Convergence to the other in a second.
  • Orange Jimmy: Fighter is tinted orange, strong attacks deal double damage and knockback

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I really like the idea on paper, but it's counteracted by the fact you can't walk through the items regardless.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You know how in the Jimmy Neutron episode "The League of Villains", Jimmy turned his gang's N-Men powers into powder packets, and Carl gave all the kids the wrong ones?

There's an idea for an item. Consume an N-Men packet, and you get the powers of a random N-Men member:
  • Invisible Sister: Self-explanatory
  • Belch Boy: Randomly stop to burp. It's comparable in damage/knockback to your average neutral strong attack.
  • Special Girl: Gain ability to hover, all attacks 50% stronger
  • Vibrating Lad: Run speed increased fast enough to go from one end of Harmonic Convergence to the other in a second.
  • Orange Jimmy: Fighter is tinted orange, strong attacks deal double damage and knockback
It's a cool idea, but I don't see it happening even in a sequel for a couple of reasons - first, it would require extra animations, and second, Nick was apparently very picky that every color change be official, so I doubt they'd let them get tinted orange.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The entire Nickelodeon brand image is "weird and wacky", feels true to the IP to me.
That doesn't mean you add, I don't know, that foot guy from Rocko over Timmy Turner. And that doesn't mean that every decision they make has to be "weird and wacky". That's like saying that every decision Nintendo makes has to be "out of left field" just because of that dumb Arlo quote. I saw so many bad Smash character justifications based on this during Ultimate speculation.

Probably outside the game's budget, but an assist trophy equivalent!

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That doesn't mean you add, I don't know, that foot guy from Rocko over Timmy Turner. And that doesn't mean that every decision they make has to be "weird and wacky". That's like saying that every decision Nintendo makes has to be "out of left field" just because of that dumb Arlo quote. I saw so many bad Smash character justifications based on this during Ultimate speculation.
Well you shouldn't worry about them that frequently anyway. No other "weird and wacky" choice had the same demand as Hugh, and at least half of NASB's base roster could've been on Nick's boring roster anyway.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't really like having to use the grab to pick items up; it feels awkward, especially with how clunky the grab itself feels.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The difference between Hugh and someone like, say, Geno, is that Geno's votes weren't ironic.

I know there are certain people who like the stupid weird meme **** here who may unironically want a character like Hugh, but you are in the minority.

Anyone who would seriously suggest that skipping over the star of one of the most popular kids movies of all time in favor of some off the cuff, third tier character from any series, especially when the star character has such fantastic potential as a character, is on some strong ****.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
The difference between Hugh and someone like, say, Geno, is that Geno's votes weren't ironic.

I know there are certain people who like the stupid weird meme **** here who may unironically want a character like Hugh, but you are in the minority.

Anyone who would seriously suggest that skipping over the star of one of the most popular kids movies of all time in favor of some off the cuff, third tier character from any series, especially when the star character has such fantastic potential as a character, is on some strong ****.

Boy, you're sure gonna make for a fun environment when Hugh actually releases.

Get a grip. You're acting like a baby, hating this because it's not what you wanted, and downplaying Hugh as a character and acting as if he's some one off bit character for the sake of your argument. Whenever someone in here expresses excitement for or even so much as mentions Hugh, you always appear and start this same tirade about how stupid we are for accepting that Hugh is in the game.

I'm sorry they didn't do Jimmy first, but they're not going to ignore the demand. He's going to happen. There are any number of reasons why Jimmy wasn't first, maybe Hugh's moveset was finalized quicker, maybe they want Jimmy to be in a pack with Timmy Turner, maybe Nick is being stingy about what they'll allow Jimmy to do. There's no reason for you to go insulting people like that. Look at the responses to your rants. You are the one in the minority because youre taking this so seriously and acting like this is some huge outrage. This isn't Smash Bros, there are no quotas or "slots". They don't need to do what Smash does.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think I was ever this butthurt about Incineroar. And even then, Jimmy's more likely to join NASB than any other Gen 7 Pokemon will join SSB6!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
How does irony make support for a character any less genuine? Even ignoring that all except 3 or 4 of the fighters in NASB are comedy characters, what makes finding Hugh funny any less genuine than finding Geno cool or Ridley scary? That's enjoying a character, no two ways around it. Humour, no matter how absurd or source-detached it can be with shadow realms and agressive pizzas, is a genuine emotional response.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

Just to clarify, grabs are incredibly useful in this game and several characters rely heavily on them to win matches (Reptar as an example is considered more of a grappler than Patrick because he has better options off of throws)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
personally i was kinda interested to see what hugh was gonna do. and I've never seen his memes nor do I do things ironically

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There are any number of reasons why Jimmy wasn't first, maybe Hugh's moveset was finalized quicker, maybe they want Jimmy to be in a pack with Timmy Turner, maybe Nick is being stingy about what they'll allow Jimmy to do.
Personally, I just think they wanted to get those "ZOMG THEY ADDED HUGH?" responses out of the way, while not having 2/3 of the pass be taken up by Jimmy Neutron reps. I think Nick would be a lot less stingy about adding Jimmy than adding Hugh.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Personally, I just think they wanted to get those "ZOMG THEY ADDED HUGH?" responses out of the way, while not having 2/3 of the pass be taken up by Jimmy Neutron reps. I think Nick would be a lot less stingy about adding Jimmy than adding Hugh.
Yeah, that's a possibility. It'd have more punch if it came before Jimmy. But still, there could have been other reasons, it most likely wasn't as flippant a choice to include him first as people think.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
one of the most popular kids movies of all time
Sorry to pick at your wording, but this is the top 100 highest grossing animated movies of all time, Jimmy doesn't appear
There are only 3 adult animated movies on the top 100 (one of which is The Simpsons Movie - a film that was very much marketed to children and is part of a brand that has historically marketed itself to children even to this day). Jimmy does show up in the top 200, but behind films nobody would consider "all time most popular" like the BoxTrolls; Onward; Storks; Robots; and even the just-released Lightyear - as well as fellow straight-to-cinema Nick IPs like Rango; Wonder Park; and Barnyard. Now keep in mind that there's no live action films on this list which would plunge Jimmy down even further considering ET; Home Alone; Sonic; so on.

Jimmy is a hugely popular character, don't get me wrong, but he's remembered more as a TV character than a movie character, and TBH competing with Optimus Prime; Rocky & Bullwinkle; or Finn the Human isn't as high a bar as competing with Simba; Gru; or Shrek so I think the exaggeration here is unjust, even if it doesn't really give or take much to/from the discussion as there aren't many movie characters to choose from in this game in the first case.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Boy, you're sure gonna make for a fun environment when Hugh actually releases.

Get a grip. You're acting like a baby, hating this because it's not what you wanted, and downplaying Hugh as a character and acting as if he's some one off bit character for the sake of your argument. Whenever someone in here expresses excitement for or even so much as mentions Hugh, you always appear and start this same tirade about how stupid we are for accepting that Hugh is in the game.

I'm sorry they didn't do Jimmy first, but they're not going to ignore the demand. He's going to happen. There are any number of reasons why Jimmy wasn't first, maybe Hugh's moveset was finalized quicker, maybe they want Jimmy to be in a pack with Timmy Turner, maybe Nick is being stingy about what they'll allow Jimmy to do. There's no reason for you to go insulting people like that. Look at the responses to your rants. You are the one in the minority because youre taking this so seriously and acting like this is some huge outrage. This isn't Smash Bros, there are no quotas or "slots". They don't need to do what Smash does.
I'm not actually as ****ing mad as it may come off, but I will not stop complaining about something I don't like. You're free to like Hugh. I'm not trying to take that away from you. But I'm also free to not like it, and this is a forum where we can talk about it all we damn well please. And for the record, I've never called anyone stupid for wanting Hugh. I've implied that his votes are ironic, yes, but I've never said you or anyone else was stupid about it.

I'd rather get my anger out in a more constructive manner, like typing out these responses, then in a destructive manner, like about what's happening in the world right now, which actually pisses me off so goddamn much that I genuinely want to break ****.

This is just discussion. I'm entitled to my opinion. You don't like it? You can mute me.

If we get Jimmy, sure, I'll even be happy with Hugh, but I'm not gonna praise something I don't like or "be happy with what you get."

My expectations of Smash vs. this have also always been different. I dunno where you're going off thinking I have the same ones for both.

But I will say, you are objectively wrong about slots. There absolutely are slots. This is not a multi million dollar game to make. This is a budget title. The fact we're even getting DLC after the launch state is a miracle. We may not get more DLC at all too - so yeah, there are limited slots until we hear otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom