• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What are the signs?
The heavy Q&A testing and it was promised for Q1 2022. It's inevitable that crossplay will come soon, very likely in the next patch, and they're just trying to make sure it's working properly.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm excited for crossplay, but at this point I don't think it will really save the game online. We just got pretty much the most requested characters barely 2 weeks ago and online is still dead.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly I'm excited for crossplay, but at this point I don't think it will really save the game online. We just got pretty much the most requested characters barely 2 weeks ago and online is still dead.
Honestly I've always thought too many people refusing to play anything that isn't on Twitch's front page is a much, much bigger obstacle for the game than any lack of items, crossplay, voices, or characters from the early 2000s whose names rhyme with "Gimmie". We are in a time where cult followings are rare and/or condemned.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I'm hoping if they do bring in crossplay, it's before Hugh releases. Hugh will probably bring in enough curious memers, crossplay being there will at least provide a decent benefit. It won't be enough to truly save the game, but it'll probably give it a little boost.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As a Slap City fan, I feel that people focus too much on "reviving" the game. Especially with the existence of matchmaking Discord servers.
We wouldn't need to focus so much on it if more people realized there's more to a game than its Steamcharts numbers.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
We wouldn't need to focus so much on it if more people realized there's more to a game than its Steamcharts numbers.
It's basically a big feedback loop at this point. People see low player numbers and assume the game is dying, which leads to even lower numbers.

We are in a time where cult followings are rare and/or condemned.
Unless your name is Glitch Techs or Invader Zim...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Steamcharts would only matter if this game was a PC exclusive, which it isn't.
Maybe but kids with PS4s and Xbox Ones are more likely to be playing Mature Games™ for Mature Gamers™ such as themselves.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The devs' favoritism toward her is so annoying.
I love the NASB roster because it reeks of favouritism. You can tell a lot of character picks were just the result of a single dev passionately/annoyingly pushing for their favourite Nicktoon with no real regard for selling copies or "properly representing" the Nick lineage, which is awesome. Gives it a personal touch.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I love the NASB roster because it reeks of favouritism. You can tell a lot of character picks were just the result of a single dev passionately/annoyingly pushing for their favourite Nicktoon with no real regard for selling copies or "properly representing" the Nick lineage, which is awesome. Gives it a personal touch.
It helps that a lot of the "unconventional" characters turned out to be some of the more unique and enjoyable characters to play as.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Too much favoritism isn't a good thing, though (even if I am super happy that characters like Nigel Thornberry and Lucy Loud are in the game). Not only is it another element of Smash poison (especially in Smash 4) that doesn't need to leach into NASB, but it's yet another thing harming the game's image. There are some super cool unorthodox fighters but it shouldn't effect how the game is balanced. All you're doing is breeding resentment and turning people off. It was annoying with Oblina at launch and it's annoying with April now. A mere "personal touch" shouldn't be this painfully intrusive. Especially when a lot of the more "mainstream" characters ended up with very uncreative movesets. Aang and Korra are two of the most egregious examples, with, aside from Aang's specials, them trying harder to create Smash expies (in this case Shiek and Ganondorf, and in Aang's case it's especially egregious since it's completely opposite to how he actually fights in Avatar) than unique fighters. It was considered bad when Sakurai did it. I don't see what suddenly makes it good when Thaddeus and friends do it.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Too much favoritism isn't a good thing, though (even if I am super happy that characters like Nigel Thornberry and Lucy Loud are in the game). Not only is it another element of Smash poison (especially in Smash 4) that doesn't need to leach into NASB, but it's yet another thing harming the game's image. There are some super cool unorthodox fighters but it shouldn't effect how the game is balanced. All you're doing is breeding resentment and turning people off. It was annoying with Oblina at launch and it's annoying with April now. A mere "personal touch" shouldn't be this painfully intrusive. Especially when a lot of the more "mainstream" characters ended up with very creative movesets. Aang and Korra are two of the most egregious examples, with, aside from Aang's specials, them trying harder to create Smash expies (in this case Shiek and Ganondorf, and in Aang's case it's especially egregious since it's completely opposite to how he actually fights in Avatar) than unique fighters. It was considered bad when Sakurai did it. I don't see what suddenly makes it good when Thaddeus and friends do it.
I wasn't talking about balance.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Too much favoritism isn't a good thing, though (even if I am super happy that characters like Nigel Thornberry and Lucy Loud are in the game). Not only is it another element of Smash poison (especially in Smash 4) that doesn't need to leach into NASB, but it's yet another thing harming the game's image. There are some super cool unorthodox fighters but it shouldn't effect how the game is balanced. All you're doing is breeding resentment and turning people off. It was annoying with Oblina at launch and it's annoying with April now. A mere "personal touch" shouldn't be this painfully intrusive. Especially when a lot of the more "mainstream" characters ended up with very uncreative movesets. Aang and Korra are two of the most egregious examples, with, aside from Aang's specials, them trying harder to create Smash expies (in this case Shiek and Ganondorf, and in Aang's case it's especially egregious since it's completely opposite to how he actually fights in Avatar) than unique fighters. It was considered bad when Sakurai did it. I don't see what suddenly makes it good when Thaddeus and friends do it.
If nothing else, I completely agree that in execution, the Avatar characters are incredibly disappointing. Aang is exclusively Airbending and besides the air ball they barely play with it, Toph is like Little Mac if he were the size of a bug, and Korra may as well not even have elemental attacks at all because they have little to no bearing on her actual moves, which is basically just Ganondorf style brawling.

I know this is probably a consequence of crunch, but almost every base game character having the same moves grounded or aerial, then Garfield, Shredder and Jenny show up with all unique moves for either feels like a letdown. Even the characters with favoritism like Nigel feel half baked because they just do the same stuff on the ground or in the air.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If nothing else, I completely agree that in execution, the Avatar characters are incredibly disappointing. Aang is exclusively Airbending and besides the air ball they barely play with it, Toph is like Little Mac if he were the size of a bug, and Korra may as well not even have elemental attacks at all because they have little to no bearing on her actual moves, which is basically just Ganondorf style brawling.

I know this is probably a consequence of crunch, but almost every base game character having the same moves grounded or aerial, then Garfield, Shredder and Jenny show up with all unique moves for either feels like a letdown. Even the characters with favoritism like Nigel feel half baked because they just do the same stuff on the ground or in the air.
Amd that's one of my issues, They clearly put a ton of time into their favoritist characters like April and Oblina while loads of other base game characters got neglected. I know crunch is a thing, but still...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Amd that's one of my issues, They clearly put a ton of time into their favoritist characters like April and Oblina while loads of other base game characters got neglected. I know crunch is a thing, but still...
I actually think Oblina's also too much of a generic rushdown character like Aang. She should at least be retooled to focus more on her projectiles if they're not gonna implement more of her shapeshifting.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And it's the two Avatars that were the most neglected. They were designed more as equivalents to Sheik and Ganondorf than as actual representations of them and their series.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Yeah I love when Sheik throws out a bo staff and spins it around with air and when Ganondorf skates along the earth

Not gonna lie this all feels largely misconstrued (the only shared attacks grounded and in air are strong attacks which is a valid criticism and even then don’t have much bearing on how varied the characters feel)

Of course there’s similarities among characters but calling them 1 to 1’s is a disservice to them and the game itself as it’s just more unneeded Smash comparisons.

People already discussed and came to the conclusion well over half a year ago that as far as Aang and Korra go in their respective shows, Aang uses air way more than any other element and Korra uses a good mix of all except air, so it makes sense why they’re portrayed the way they are (it’d be even more stale if they both used all 4 elements). Toph Little Mac comparison is dumb, they only share small size and underwhelming recoveries, their playstyle and moves are very different from each other

And it’s not that it’s good when several characters using uppercut up tilts as an example is in the game, the difference is that Smash has had 5 games plus one of the biggest gaming companies in the world publishing them compared to a low budget year and a half-ish long dev window one. Heck, NASB has more “new” (by new I mean never been playable in a previous platform fighter) characters than Ultimate added at launch because Ultimate had previous games to pull from and refine.

I don’t like comparing Smash games to NASB but a much more fair comparison would be something like Melee which had 20 unique characters at launch and about a year long development window, and even then it was published by Nintendo and had massive crunch (Which I’m sure NASB also would’ve assuming they didn’t already had they tried getting characters like Garfield and Shredder in the game at launch)

TL;DR - We need to stop comparing NASB to Smash on all fronts, not just on the “Smash Killer” memes

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't see why Aang and Korra being Sheik and Ganondorf analogs is a bad thing. Regardless of source faithfulness, you kinda need those archetypes in a platform fighter
Mostly because a lot of Avatar fans don't think that those archetypes fit them. Many Avatar fans have a problem with how Aang and Korra are represented in this game, and it was clear that the Avatar reps were some of the last characters added to the game.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mostly because a lot of Avatar fans don't think that those archetypes fit them. Many Avatar fans have a problem with how Aang and Korra are represented in this game, and it was clear that the Avatar reps were some of the last characters added to the game.
But why is that a problem? Source innacuracy =/= bad game design

Top Bottom