• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm still not really willing to excuse how terrible the reanimated opening looks
Oh I agree the new opening sucks, I just wanted you to know it wasn't "No reason". There's several other things I question about the remasters too, like why they're cropped to fit widescreen aspect ratios when the title cards are still 4:3.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh I agree the new opening sucks, I just wanted you to know it wasn't "No reason". There's several other things I question about the remasters too, like why they're cropped to fit widescreen aspect ratios when the title cards are still 4:3.
perhaps there’s a series of undiagnosed head injuries among the industry

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My man, I've been watching, reading and generally taking in Garfield media since I was a toddler. I know all about Garfield, and it is WEIRD.

Sure the comic strip has been about as invigorating as dry paste since the 90's and the Garfield and Friends cartoon show was genuinely great with no real catch, but then there's everything after. Everything this character has touched since Garfield and Friends ended is soaked in seven layers of sheer what the ****.

There's everything chronicled in the Defunctland video, which not only involves Garfield's tumultuous history in trying to get into theme parks, but when he finally did, they made, of all things, a Garfield themed horror boat ride that was too scary for the target audience of kids and that adult riders would go into to have sex, and was left to rot for 16 years until Viacom ordered them to destroy it and film themselves doing so.

Then there's Garfield: His 9 Lives, in which Garfield is portrayed as a mutated lab experiment, a detective who has relations with human women, and a terrifyingly realistic cat who goes feral and kills his elderly owner. In the end, Garfield dies and meets God.

The Garfield movies, in which Bill Murray only joined on because he didn't realize it was being directed by the other Cohen Brothers, where Garfield is the only bulgy eyed CGI cat amongst real animals, including Odie, who is just a dog. In it, Garfield almost causes a four way train crash.

Garfield Minus Garfield, which is about showcasing how depressing and pathetic Jon looks when he doesn't have Garfield to take his frustrations out on, getting official acknowledgement through a legitimate PAWS Inc published book release, complete with Garfield Minus Garfield comics edited by Jim Davis himself.

A Garfield direct to video animated movie including an edited version of a Garfield strip where Jon graphically cusses out Garfield as a foreground element, in which the word "Motherf*cker" is clearly visible.

Garfield Kart. I own and have played Garfield Kart and it is the most unexplainable experience of a game I think I've ever played. It then went on to get a sequel that is actually just a remake of the first game that's even worse.

The otherwise beautifully animated Garfield and Friends opening sequence was reanimated for Streaming in truly awful flash animation for no reason.

They've recently discovered that the McDonalds Garfield mugs from the 80's have a lethal amount of lead paint in them. I have a few of those and am now concerned for my long term health prospects.

One of the artists for the Garfield strip has drawn multiple pieces of Garfield and the gang fighting Sans and Papyrus.

That's not even getting into all the insane abstract post modernism that is Garfield's internet presence, some of which has gotten actual acknowledgement in official Garfield media.

And finally, of course, Garfield being playable in a Super Smash Bros clone.

To deny that Garfield has the most ****ing bonkers history, the craziest goddamn legacy, the most insane track record, I don't think you can even call yourself a fan at that point!
Honestly, the cavalcade of weird **** to come out of it is probably my favorite part of the Garfield franchise. Even ignoring fan works and internet adaptations that have never been officially acknowledged like Gorefield and lasagnacat, you've got stuff like Garfield's 9 Lives and that canned Garfield ride which I only just found out about. Every time I hear something new about this franchise, it boggles and blows my mind simultaneously. Garfield gives off the vibe of a franchise which is bored to death of its own existence by this point (as evidenced by the actual strips being the most repetitive and milquetoast **** on the planet), so it just does something wild out of pocket every so often and it's either hilarious or incredibly fun to think about every time.
Speaking of which, anyone remember that horrifyingly existential series of Garfield strips where it's revealed that Jon and Odie aren't real and Garfield is actually starving to death in an abandoned home?
Yeah, that's a thing.
To a degree, that's fair, but I have to mention that Garfield Minus Garfield got a legit PAWS Inc book release.

View attachment 352936

It's a piece of officially licensed Garfield media and is worth bringing up for that alone.
Holy **** I never knew this happened. Thank you for educating me on this incredible piece of Garfield lore.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Honestly, the cavalcade of weird ** to come out of it is probably my favorite part of the Garfield franchise. Even ignoring fan works and internet adaptations that have never been officially acknowledged like Gorefield and lasagnacat, you've got stuff like Garfield's 9 Lives and that canned Garfield ride which I only just found out about. Every time I hear something new about this franchise, it boggles and blows my mind simultaneously. Garfield gives off the vibe of a franchise which is bored to death of its own existence by this point (as evidenced by the actual strips being the most repetitive and milquetoast ** on the planet), so it just does something wild out of pocket every so often and it's either hilarious or incredibly fun to think about every time.
Speaking of which, anyone remember that horrifyingly existential series of Garfield strips where it's revealed that Jon and Odie aren't real and Garfield is actually starving to death in an abandoned home?
Yeah, that's a thing.

Holy **** I never knew this happened. Thank you for educating me on this incredible piece of Garfield lore.
How did I forget about those strips when I was writing up about all the weird Garfield crap? What's even better is that it WORKS. It's genuinely scary!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
How did I forget about those strips when I was writing up about all the weird Garfield crap? What's even better is that it WORKS. It's genuinely scary!
i was wondering that too

speaking of odd garfield things i think there was once a design drawn up for a garfield urinal, ill have to double check the book for the context of the thing but its odd alright

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
i was wondering that too

speaking of odd garfield things i think there was once a design drawn up for a garfield urinal, ill have to double check the book for the context of the thing but its odd alright
It was shown in the Defunctland video.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
A small bit of exposure for NASB.
Some quick footage from Garfield's reveal trailer appears in the latest Defunctland episode about a frankly bizarre piece of Garfield history.
Well... as bizarre as anything in Garfield's history. This franchise is an ever enduring real life ****post.

As someone who rode the ride when it came out in 2004, I don’t know why I liked it then.

Bonus: You could hear the Garfield lines from outside the attraction. Try getting the line “I always say, one good pile of food, deserves another” out of your head afterbeing in one of the picnic pavilions near the ride!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
why is Garfield so happy about getting to drink piss?

The Garfield rabbit hole is the gift that keeps giving, it's like the IP never left that "early awkwardness" phase of letting license holders do whatever weird stuff they want as long as the characters are on-model. Nick may change that, but judging from some of those social media posts they've done (as well as them only increasing the licensing fee for Nightmare and not just demanding it be demolished right away), probably not.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

The Garfield rabbit hole is the gift that keeps giving, it's like the IP never left that "early awkwardness" phase of letting license holders do whatever weird stuff they want as long as the characters are on-model. Nick may change that, but judging from some of those social media posts they've done (as well as them only increasing the licensing fee for Nightmare and not just demanding it be demolished right away), probably not.
im not sure it gets much weirder than the urinal. though some of the rejected strips were a little out of tone but not quite weird

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
well results have been tallied for the character poll and I now know the top 25, which my friend will be making into a mock up that I will share tomorrow

gotta say, the top 25 is exciting, feels like it'll be the start of some new speculation potentially and has characters most of us wouldn't have expected to make it in this entry

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ludosity is a very passionate studio about this game, especially with rumors that they cancelled a planned sequel to funnel the budget meant for said sequel to improve the current game. The only way I see development ending is if either GameMill or Nick pull the plug on the project against Ludosity's wishes.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not surprised that there are no TLH characters in the top 25. It's clear that TLH is never getting any more new reps because no one wants any more.

D

Deleted member

TLH could happen if the team wants it to. How like that is who knows? I personally feel we may not get one, but I wouldn't count it out completely

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
TLH could happen if the team wants it to. How like that is who knows? I personally feel we may not get one, but I wouldn't count it out completely
But there's hardly anyone who wants to see more TLH reps. This is shown by this poll not having any TLH reps in the top 100. The first TLH rep in the list is Luna at 115th place. So Ludosity probably won't add any more unless they are forced to by the Nick executives for marketing reasons.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
and there's the problem

This is the same team who wanted 1987 TMNT representation instead of 2012 because nostalgia.
Pretty much, and it's clear that nostalgia means a lot of character requests. The highest ranking post 2010 character on the poll is predictably Miko from Glitch Techs, who sits at 26th place and just barely missed being in the Top 25. She's the only modern character who is outright desired by a majority of the NASB community.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Not surprise to see Otis higher, now that we have Hugh I had the feeling that he would got even more popular. I'm pretty surprised to see Sheen before Cindy, I always hate Sheen personally but maybe it's just because I can't stop associating him with Planet Sheen. CatScratch trio is also pretty surprising, maybe it's just because people liked the concept of a trio characters more than the show itself because I don't remember the show being really memorable. Also pretty surprise to see Kitty higher than TUFF Puppy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I for one am glad that the speculation is gradually shifting away from being just about five specific series, even if right now it's the "Jimmy and Timmy Power Hour" for the most part.

Not quite the third spot, but it's still muy caliente!

That said, it's nice to see the cat trio squeeze into the top 25 at all.

Not surprise to see Otis higher, now that we have Hugh I had the feeling that he would got even more popular. I'm pretty surprised to see Sheen before Cindy, I always hate Sheen personally but maybe it's just because I can't stop associating him with Planet Sheen. CatScratch trio is also pretty surprising, maybe it's just because people liked the concept of a trio characters more than the show itself because I don't remember the show being really memorable. Also pretty surprise to see Kitty higher than TUFF Puppy.
To each his own, but I thought that Catscratch was generally amusing for the absurd concepts that it brought up occasionally, and Waffle being a goofball (who would even use real lasers in a laser show???).

I'm not surprised, seeing as Kitty's popular with a certain community and incidentally I'm a fan of her myself (also, the dog's name is Dudley).

For what it's worth, Luna has her fans, but it'll take a long while to see if that affects things, given that even getting Lucy in the base roster was apparently a struggle for the staff in negotiations.

In any case, the fans' voices have been heard loud and clear for stuff in general, so all we can do is wait and see. But not over the Wait 'n Sea.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do wonder how involved Nick are. They let Hugh happen
Most likely because of negotiations. If we received the apparent "boring and predictable" roster, he wouldn't be a thing in this.

Their involvement, so far, simply is just "Game Mill and/or Ludosity beg at them for X character for months at a time". 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♀️🙏

Ludosity is a very passionate studio about this game, especially with rumors that they cancelled a planned sequel to funnel the budget meant for said sequel to improve the current game. The only way I see development ending is if either GameMill or Nick pull the plug on the project against Ludosity's wishes.
Yeah, you could tell that they took a cursory glance at Kart Racer/2 and went...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, you could tell that they took a cursory glance at Kart Racer/2 and went...
you sure about that

I mean it has better gameplay in comparison to SSBU than NKR2 has in comparison to MK8, but both rosters have a similar mix of classic/modern content and neither has voice acting (right now at least) (unless you know how to google "nasb voice mod") (it's not hard you know)

LimeTH

Smash Lord
... At least solo Beavers both made the top fifty?

Y'all are monkey people.

Other thoughts
  • Not surprised Kitty made it over Dudely. I had a feeling people would want her more.
  • I see Snap got two spots. Both solo and in a duo. NO I'M NOT MAD S'OKAY
  • Do people really want that many Jimmy Neutron characters? I keep getting taken aback by how huge it is with this game's fanbase.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Kinda disappointing that only 2 90s characters made the top 25, both of which aired into the 2000s. I'll have to check the full results.

EDIT: RIP Bunsen is a Beast fans

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
... At least solo Beavers both made the top fifty?

Y'all are monkey people.

Other thoughts
  • Not surprised Kitty made it over Dudely. I had a feeling people would want her more.
  • I see Snap got two spots. Both solo and in a duo. NO I'M NOT MAD S'OKAY
  • Do people really want that many Jimmy Neutron characters? I keep getting taken aback by how huge it is with this game's fanbase.
Honestly, I'm fine with Daggett getting in at all, team or not. 🤷‍♂️.

you sure about that

I mean it has better gameplay in comparison to SSBU than NKR2 has in comparison to MK8, but both rosters have a similar mix of classic/modern content and neither has voice acting (right now at least) (unless you know how to google "nasb voice mod") (it's not hard you know)
What I meant is, the cool stuff that got in NKR2 was initially going to be DLC for NKR (which was overall seen as average). In this case, waiting was clearly not an option here.

View attachment 353048
Kart racer 2 has a pretty great roster aside from the lack of FOP and Jimmy Neutron (though some thornberries and real monsters rep would have been cool. Jenny too) but..

One of these things is not like the others,
Yes, what's a Youtuber doing in this? It's weirder than having Danica Patrick in a Sega kart racer.

D

Deleted member

What I meant is, the cool stuff that got in NKR2 was initially going to be DLC for NKR (which was overall seen as average). In this case, waiting was clearly not an option here.

Yes, what's a Youtuber doing in this? It's weirder than having Danica Patrick in a Sega kart racer.
She had a cartoon at the time and was a star for them. Kind of an unfortunate inclusion now she she's distanced herself from that persona and spoke out about how she was treated. a good example of why including celebrities in games like this is kind of dumb

LimeTH

Smash Lord
If a duo happens, I'll suck it up, since it's still The Angry Beavers in a video game. Though it kind of depends on how they do it. No duo character in this game has been two separate entities like the Ice Climbers and given the game's limitations I don't see anything like that happening. So if we get the Beavers stacked on top of each other or smushed together like conjoined twins so that both of them can be grabbed at the same time, that's gonna look really stupid and limit any moveset potential.

Kind of an unfortunate inclusion now she she's distanced herself from that persona and spoke out about how she was treated. a good example of why including celebrities in games like this is kind of dumb
I think this is why we most certainly won't be getting any sitcom characters, since they're so linked to the actors that play them, and those actors always wind up either mistreated or in some sort of trouble.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
given the game's limitations
I don't think it's really engine limitations as much as it is framerate issues. Even on computers that can run AAA titles at high settings, you can still get them, and if they're that much of a problem NOW, imagine 4 simultaneous Norberts and Daggetts. Or 4 simultaneous...Rudies and Snaps. Or 4 Fanboys and Chum Chums. Or 4...Nicks and Juniors.

Top Bottom