• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Why not just have them appear when Timmy does a wish, then disappear?

He could have a wish wheel kinda like Monado Arts that changes the tool he's using. They could even just be the tool.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yeah I remember being shocked by this as a kid. That said, I think this was the only instance of them purposefully being awful to him in the "golden years".

Past that is another story.
I think there was one more but I don't quite remember. Either way I'm glad someone else had the same experience I did!

Butch Hartmann had some really sadistic moments in his shows sometimes. Remember the ending of "Mr. Right!"?

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Why not just have them appear when Timmy does a wish, then disappear?
I say it'd be visually more fun to have them there with him, plus it gives them. being titular characters, more of an actual presence,

I think there was one more but I don't quite remember. Either way I'm glad someone else had the same experience I did!

Butch Hartmann had some really sadistic moments in his shows sometimes. Remember the ending of "Mr. Right!"?
Gotta keep Timmy miserable or the show ends!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I say it'd be visually more fun to have them there with him, plus it gives them. being titular characters, more of an actual presence,

The show would also end if Timmy literally died from wasp sting swells, iron punches on his small body from a buff wrestler, and all sorts of other things in quick succession while Cosmo and Wanda sat idley, doing nothing about it. FOP was a great show but there were some seriously....awful moments.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Me rn:

Okay, with that out of the way, it'll be very interesting to see what direction they'll take from here. Just hoping items will eventually get added by the time Rocko drops.

As far as 2010's characters go, at best I can see Kitty (for obvious reasons), and another Loud sister or two (mainly Luna) since TLH is the one show that remotely stands up to SpongeBob in popularity right now. Miko is a strong maybe. Anyone else outside of those would need a miracle, assuming this game's support runs long enough.

yep I did, I've got 288 submissions currently, gonna try getting it past 500 since that's what the last one got and see where we end up

also El Tigre is still a very firm 3rd place but Timmy is still slightly edging him out. My guess is he'll remain 3rd place
That's good enough for me so far!

I'm holding hope for a second Rocko rep.
At least Filbert got a placeholder voice call, that's a start.

Nice to see this.

Though.
El Tigre's creator is feeling jealous rn.
One of these days...

What kind of moves do you all think Hugh is going to have?
Ducks and pie are gonna be in there somewhere for sure.
I hope they have a reference to "HUCK CLUCK LUCK YEAH OOOOOH CARIBOU" in there somewhere too, with the spear.
The Quantum Replay 9000 would be nice.

I assume they would know which characters they wanna do for season 2, but are waiting to see how the DLC does
In the meantime, I won't take any chances and just straight-up buy the pass. Also on PS4 if I have to.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Me rn:

Okay, with that out of the way, it'll be very interesting to see what direction they'll take from here. Just hoping items will eventually get added by the time Rocko drops.

As far as 2010's characters go, at best I can see Kitty (for obvious reasons), and another Loud sister or two (mainly Luna) since TLH is the one show that remotely stands up to SpongeBob in popularity right now. Miko is a strong maybe. Anyone else outside of those would need a miracle, assuming this game's support runs long enough.

That's good enough for me so far!

At least Filbert got a placeholder voice call, that's a start.

One of these days...

The Quantum Replay 9000 would be nice.
If the game does continue getting support and more 2010's characters are pushed, the best ones to get that big support would probably be Fee & Foo, Team Timbers, and Maybe Sanjay and Craig(Can't Forget Annie & Pony Too).

The Rest You Mention are the most likely candidates right in front though.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
One of them was Wishful Life where everyone would have better lives if Timmy was never born is just cruel.

The message this episode says is that if you are feeling unappreciated, then it means that your life has no meaning and everybody's lives would be better off without you, which is extremely nihilistic and a very dangerous message to teach unappreciated and badly treated kids.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm really surprised the lack of Fairly OddParents alone is such a deal breaker for a lot of people. It had some high highs, but was otherwise mostly okay, but it's been on one of the most insane death spirals I've ever seen a show go on for over a decade.
I can understand being disappointed that it isn't there yet, but refusing to buy the game over it? It's not that good.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Honestly, I'm really surprised the lack of Fairly OddParents alone is such a deal breaker for a lot of people. It had some high highs, but was otherwise mostly okay, but it's been on one of the most insane death spirals I've ever seen a show go on for over a decade.
I can understand being disappointed that it isn't there yet, but refusing to buy the game over it? It's not that good.
I don't really see why you'd refuse to buy a game over any single character being missing. Maybe a large set of characters like NASB's small amount of 2000s rep, (I know I'd be a lot less interested in this game if the 90s-to-2000s ratio were swapped) but not just Timmy and/or Jimmy specifically. I get they; 'Bob; and Danny are the faces of Nicktoons to some people thanks to the Unite games, but even then I can't wrap my head around just how sour people can be about this (not them being sour about it alone mind you) - especially when it's in no way a surprise that they'd be absent looking at the history of Nicktoons games.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
thanks to the Unite games
It's not just Nicktoons Unite. Anyone who watched Nick in the early-mid 2000s should have plenty of memories watching SpongeBob, FOP, and Jimmy Neutron as they were the channel's most-broadcasted Nicktoons at that time, not to mention the three Jimmy Timmy Power Hours which were meant to be the finale for both shows involved.

And besides that the Nicktoons Unite games aren't the only Nicktoons crossovers to feature the SB-JN-TT-DP foursome

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Honestly speaking FOP was pretty mid more than half the time tho
What's the other half? The baby, the dog, the "secret wish", the girl he has to share the fairies with, the Drake Bell movies, the flash animation and the sitcom?

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
One mans trash is another man's treasure mi amigo just cause you didn't find it that good doesn't mean others didn't find it to be good either, especially if you watched it as a kid and have those nostalgia goggles on (like I have). To play the devil's advocate most people like crossover games to see their favorite characters interact and if their favorites aren't in it then what's the point of buying it? Its just down to personal preference at the end of the day anyways. As long as people aren't actively boycotting the game for not having the characters in it then I think its fair for it to be a deal breaker if what you want isn't in it. That or I'm just wrong saying this, who knows!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I guess some people just REALLY love Fairly Odd Parents. Maybe it's even their favorite Nicktoon.

Maybe I wouldn't exactly consider a hypothetical lack of Danny Phantom a deal-breaker per se, but that's probably just me; heck, I've stuck with Smash Bros. since the beginning despite Banjo & Kazooie only recently being made playable.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
One mans trash is another man's treasure mi amigo just cause you didn't find it that good doesn't mean others didn't find it to be good either, especially if you watched it as a kid and have those nostalgia goggles on (like I have). To play the devil's advocate most people like crossover games to see their favorite characters interact and if their favorites aren't in it then what's the point of buying it? Its just down to personal preference at the end of the day anyways. As long as people aren't actively boycotting the game for not having the characters in it then I think its fair for it to be a deal breaker if what you want isn't in it. That or I'm just wrong saying this, who knows!
I was a kid when FOP came out, and I was a huge fan. I have nostalgia for it, but I don't think it holds up all that well even before the death spiral.
I'm not saying no one should like it, moreso it's crazy to me that someone would be that diehard over it ruins the entire roster for them.

I am very much aware that people can want the characters they want, I've watched my entire Smash wishlist get sent to the Assist Trophy mines for three games straight, so I know what it's like to be denied a character you really wanted.
It's just astonishing to me that people will flat out boycott the game because ONE character isn't in it. Does their love of Nickelodeon not extend outside of one show?

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This to me seems like a pretty limiting way to go into any crossover. It's normal to have most wanteds and not get into a game if there's nothing of interest for you there, of course - the big reason I'm not giving MultiVersus the time of day at the moment is just that none of the character picks have appealed to me thus far - but acting like one specific character or property has to be in it for you to give a **** seems kinda narrow-minded to me. Right now, there are 13-14 shows represented in NASB (depending on whether you count Korra separate from Avatar), which'll be up to 15-16 with the addition of Hugh and Rocko. The shows that are in are pretty heavy hitters, with maybe a few semi-deep cuts like Oblina and Nigel Thornberry thrown in the mix for fans of those shows. If you can look at all these shows and say with confidence that there's nothing that interests you, I can't say you're wrong since that's your opinion and we all grew up on different things, but it is certainly odd to me. Hell, at launch, I had to main CatDog for lack of a better option since none of my most wanted were in by that point (an issue which was quickly alleviated with Garfield). You think I wasn't willing to give the game a go just because my favorite Nicktoon wasn't in and won't be until summer? No, because at the end of the day Jimmy Neutron isn't the only Nickelodeon show I look back on fondly and JN content wasn't the only thing I wanted for this game. The game doesn't need Jimmy or Carl or Hugh or whoever for me to like it, I played it at launch because I thought it looked sick and it had characters I liked enough to play until some of my favorites were added. To me, it's not a matter of thinking X show was good or bad or mid or whatever, it's just a matter of liking things enough to not let the exclusion of one very specific thing ruin your enjoyment.
And bear in mind, this is all coming from a jaded 2000's kid, I had virtually NOTHING to work with at launch when the game was basically "90's Nick & Friends".

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
This to me seems like a pretty limiting way to go into any crossover. It's normal to have most wanteds and not get into a game if there's nothing of interest for you there, of course - the big reason I'm not giving MultiVersus the time of day at the moment is just that none of the character picks have appealed to me thus far - but acting like one specific character or property has to be in it for you to give a **** seems kinda narrow-minded to me. Right now, there are 13-14 shows represented in NASB (depending on whether you count Korra separate from Avatar), which'll be up to 15-16 with the addition of Hugh and Rocko. The shows that are in are pretty heavy hitters, with maybe a few semi-deep cuts like Oblina and Nigel Thornberry thrown in the mix for fans of those shows. If you can look at all these shows and say with confidence that there's nothing that interests you, I can't say you're wrong since that's your opinion and we all grew up on different things, but it is certainly odd to me. Hell, at launch, I had to main CatDog for lack of a better option since none of my most wanted were in by that point (an issue which was quickly alleviated with Garfield). You think I wasn't willing to give the game a go just because my favorite Nicktoon wasn't in and won't be until summer? No, because at the end of the day Jimmy Neutron isn't the only Nickelodeon show I look back on fondly and JN content wasn't the only thing I wanted for this game. The game doesn't need Jimmy or Carl or Hugh or whoever for me to like it, I played it at launch because I thought it looked sick and it had characters I liked enough to play until some of my favorites were added. To me, it's not a matter of thinking X show was good or bad or mid or whatever, it's just a matter of liking things enough to not let the exclusion of one very specific thing ruin your enjoyment.
And bear in mind, this is all coming from a jaded 2000's kid, I had virtually NOTHING to work with at launch when the game was basically "90's Nick & Friends".
Semi on topic, but many people joined the official Discord with the inclusion of Jenny because they had been waiting for her. I don’t quite follow the logic of only buying a game if a certain character gets in, but considering it’s proven to be a consistent thing it’s probably in Ludosity’s best interests to keep aiming for top requests, goodness knows they need more consistent player numbers

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Semi on topic, but many people joined the official Discord with the inclusion of Jenny because they had been waiting for her. I don’t quite follow the logic of only buying a game if a certain character gets in, but considering it’s proven to be a consistent thing it’s probably in Ludosity’s best interests to keep aiming for top requests, goodness knows they need more consistent player numbers
I think some of it is because, with Jenny and Hugh's inclusion, the roster feels a little more well-rounded, which might've convinced people who were still on the fence.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think some of it is because, with Jenny and Hugh's inclusion, the roster feels a little more well-rounded, which might've convinced people who were still on the fence.
Yeah. People wanted more early 2000s characters and 2/3 of the Universe Pack is early 2000s characters, with them also getting one of the last remaining 90s icons with Rocko.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I don’t quite follow the logic of only buying a game if a certain character gets in, but considering it’s proven to be a consistent thing it’s probably in Ludosity’s best interests to keep aiming for top requests, goodness knows they need more consistent player numbers
I think this makes perfect sense honestly. Some people only watched Nickelodeon to view a specific show. Avatar and other more story driven shows are the best examples I can probably give. It'd be weird to buy a game that doesn't represent the only Nick show they've watched/liked the most. Same for characters. Just look at all the Daisy fans that are saying they wont buy the next Mario Strikers game just because she isn't in the game.

I think the people that are most likely to buy this game are:
  1. Huge Nickelodeon fans that like almost everything Nickelodeon has made
  2. Fans of a specific show/character
  3. Fighting Games/Platformfighter fans
I'm on the 1st and 3rd points on this myself.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This franchise is an ever enduring real life ****post.
i dont think youve seen much of the franchise. I should point out I mean that just as an observation

although bizarreness is part of the norm for comic book series. Even if the comics themselves aren’t particularly bizarre they attract a certain kind of oddness, you should see some of the letters Schulz got for peanuts

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Taco Shack needs to be incorporated into Hugh's moveset

although bizarreness is part of the norm for comic book series. Even if the comics themselves aren’t particularly bizarre they attract a certain kind of oddness, you should see some of the letters Schulz got for peanuts
I remember when he responded to a letter by making a drawing of Charlotte Braun with an axe through her head!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I remember when he responded to a letter by making a drawing of Charlotte Braun with an axe through her head!
hmm havent seen that one but i have seen one where someone called him racist for putting black and white kids together and one where a woman was offended by snoopy and woodstock being horrified by a roast chicken

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if I'm the only one but if we do get voice acting later, I actually hope that Garfield stays mute. I think nobody really got Garfield voice right and it would fit him to stay mute has a comics characters. Maybe give him some cat sound so he doesn't feel too much out of place, but I don't really care about having Frank Welker or Chris Pratt doing some lines for him.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A small bit of exposure for NASB.
Some quick footage from Garfield's reveal trailer appears in the latest Defunctland episode about a frankly bizarre piece of Garfield history.
Well... as bizarre as anything in Garfield's history. This franchise is an ever enduring real life ****post.

I think they took the advice to not make the ride too great a bit too seriously.

Kinda funny how Viacom was going to increase the licensing fee for the ride "significantly", and yet he was seemingly able to easily get into a game like this.
I'm not sure if I'm the only one but if we do get voice acting later, I actually hope that Garfield stays mute. I think nobody really got Garfield voice right and it would fit him to stay mute has a comics characters. Maybe give him some cat sound so he doesn't feel too much out of place, but I don't really care about having Frank Welker or Chris Pratt doing some lines for him.
It'd be more realistic for the other characters to not hear him anyway. Remember, he doesn't actually say things, he thinks them.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
i dont think youve seen much of the franchise. I should point out I mean that just as an observation

My man, I've been watching, reading and generally taking in Garfield media since I was a toddler. I know all about Garfield, and it is WEIRD.

Sure the comic strip has been about as invigorating as dry paste since the 90's and the Garfield and Friends cartoon show was genuinely great with no real catch, but then there's everything after. Everything this character has touched since Garfield and Friends ended is soaked in seven layers of sheer what the ****.

There's everything chronicled in the Defunctland video, which not only involves Garfield's tumultuous history in trying to get into theme parks, but when he finally did, they made, of all things, a Garfield themed horror boat ride that was too scary for the target audience of kids and that adult riders would go into to have sex, and was left to rot for 16 years until Viacom ordered them to destroy it and film themselves doing so.

Then there's Garfield: His 9 Lives, in which Garfield is portrayed as a mutated lab experiment, a detective who has relations with human women, and a terrifyingly realistic cat who goes feral and kills his elderly owner. In the end, Garfield dies and meets God.

The Garfield movies, in which Bill Murray only joined on because he didn't realize it was being directed by the other Cohen Brothers, where Garfield is the only bulgy eyed CGI cat amongst real animals, including Odie, who is just a dog. In it, Garfield almost causes a four way train crash.

Garfield Minus Garfield, which is about showcasing how depressing and pathetic Jon looks when he doesn't have Garfield to take his frustrations out on, getting official acknowledgement through a legitimate PAWS Inc published book release, complete with Garfield Minus Garfield comics edited by Jim Davis himself.

A Garfield direct to video animated movie including an edited version of a Garfield strip where Jon graphically cusses out Garfield as a foreground element, in which the word "Motherf*cker" is clearly visible.

Garfield Kart. I own and have played Garfield Kart and it is the most unexplainable experience of a game I think I've ever played. It then went on to get a sequel that is actually just a remake of the first game that's even worse.

The otherwise beautifully animated Garfield and Friends opening sequence was reanimated for Streaming in truly awful flash animation for no reason. because they lost the original masters.

They've recently discovered that the McDonalds Garfield mugs from the 80's have a lethal amount of lead paint in them. I have a few of those and am now concerned for my long term health prospects.

One of the artists for the Garfield strip has drawn multiple pieces of Garfield and the gang fighting Sans and Papyrus.

That's not even getting into all the insane abstract post modernism that is Garfield's internet presence, some of which has gotten actual acknowledgement in official Garfield media.

And finally, of course, Garfield being playable in a Super Smash Bros clone.

To deny that Garfield has the most ****ing bonkers history, the craziest goddamn legacy, the most insane track record, I don't think you can even call yourself a fan at that point!

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Garfield Minus Garfield, which is about showcasing how depressing and pathetic Jon looks when he doesn't have Garfield to take his frustrations out on, getting official acknowledgement through a legitimate PAWS Inc published book release, complete with Garfield Minus Garfield comics edited by Jim Davis himself.

I love this now

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My man, I've been watching, reading and generally taking in Garfield media since I was a toddler. I know all about Garfield, and it is WEIRD.

Sure the comic strip has been about as invigorating as dry paste since the 90's and the Garfield and Friends cartoon show was genuinely great with no real catch, but then there's everything after. Everything this character has touched since Garfield and Friends ended is soaked in seven layers of sheer what the ****.

There's everything chronicled in the Defunctland video, which not only involves Garfield's tumultuous history in trying to get into theme parks, but when he finally did, they made, of all things, a Garfield themed horror boat ride that was too scary for the target audience of kids and that adult riders would go into to have sex, and was left to rot for 16 years until Viacom ordered them to destroy it and film themselves doing so.

Then there's Garfield: His 9 Lives, in which Garfield is portrayed as a mutated lab experiment, a detective who has relations with human women, and a terrifyingly realistic cat who goes feral and kills his elderly owner. In the end, Garfield dies and meets God.

The Garfield movies, in which Bill Murray only joined on because he didn't realize it was being directed by the other Cohen Brothers, where Garfield is the only bulgy eyed CGI cat amongst real animals, including Odie, who is just a dog. In it, Garfield almost causes a four way train crash.

A Garfield direct to video animated movie including an edited version of a Garfield strip where Jon graphically cusses out Garfield as a foreground element, in which the word "Motherf*cker" is clearly visible.

Garfield Kart. I own and have played Garfield Kart and it is the most unexplainable experience of a game I think I've ever played. It then went on to get a sequel that is actually just a remake of the first game that's even worse.

The otherwise beautifully animated Garfield and Friends opening sequence was reanimated for Streaming in truly awful flash animation for no reason.

They've recently discovered that the McDonalds Garfield mugs from the 80's have a lethal amount of lead paint in them. I have a few of those and am now concerned for my long term health prospects.

That's not even getting into all the insane abstract post modernism that is Garfield's internet presence, some of which has gotten actual acknowledgement in official Garfield media.

And finally, of course, Garfield being playable in a Super Smash Bros clone.

To deny that Garfield has the most ****ing bonkers history, the craziest goddamn legacy, the most insane track record, I don't think you can even call yourself a fan at that point!
it is because I am a fan that a find this notion of Jon being nothing but a bully ludicrous and I say that as someone who has read the vast majority of 44 years worth of comic strips. Plus it’s not really fair to use fan stuff Garfield minus and how people treat it online as being an indication of how the franchise is. If we start doing that I’ll never be able to play it again.

but on the whole I just don’t find it that bizarre l. The haunted boat ride just sounds like one of many stupid businesses the world has made. The bill Murray movies, well they were painstakingly average for the movie industry doing an adaptation. Plus bill
Murray signing on by mistake is one of the least odd stories I’ve heard about the man. The 80s mugs, well that’s part of a bigger issue America has with lead paint so that’s not fair. And as for appearing in a smash clone, well these days that’s becoming pretty normal. As for the rest sounds more like stupid decisions than anything bizarre.

9 lives I can’t explain, though I have definitely seen another cartoon cat doing something similar in the 90s

nintendo having a love hotel that’s weird. And that story about Sony promoting god of war with a dead goat

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
it is because I am a fan that a find this notion of Jon being nothing but a bully ludicrous and I say that as someone who has read the vast majority of 44 years worth of comic strips.
I don't think he's a bully, he's just sort of a jerk so Garfield has someone to push back at and make snarky remarks towards. That's very likely intentional.
He's a lot kinder in stuff like the specials where he treats Garfield like a normal pet.

Plus it’s not really fair to use fan stuff Garfield minus and how people treat it online as being an indication of how the franchise is. If we start doing that I’ll never be able to play it again.
To a degree, that's fair, but I have to mention that Garfield Minus Garfield got a legit PAWS Inc book release.

1653061812769.png

It's a piece of officially licensed Garfield media and is worth bringing up for that alone.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think he's a bully, he's just sort of a jerk so Garfield has someone to push back at and make snarky remarks towards. That's very likely intentional.
He's a lot kinder in stuff like the specials where he treats Garfield like a normal pet.

To a degree, that's fair, but I have to mention that Garfield Minus Garfield got a legit PAWS Inc book release.

View attachment 352936

It's a piece of officially licensed Garfield media and is worth bringing up for that alone.
he really isn’t that mean in the comics though most of the time it’s him pushing back against Garfield

Oh right I forgot about that detail, I’ll have to give you that one. A fan project with an official stamp like Megaman x street fighter. Still wouldn’t call it bizarre

then again I did grow up watching kids get sucked into computers and board games so maybe I’ve got a high standard for bizarre

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The otherwise beautifully animated Garfield and Friends opening sequence was reanimated for Streaming in truly awful flash animation for no reason.
It's not "no reason". They lost the original masters for the openings, and even a couple episodes which have to be shown in "Retro-vision" because of this.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It's not "no reason". They lost the original masters for the openings, and even a couple episodes which have to be shown in "Retro-vision" because of this.
Aw man, that sucks.

So while I get it now, I'm still not really willing to excuse how terrible the reanimated opening looks. Someone involved in the creation of that, whoever it may be, just flat out didn't care.

Top Bottom