• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
The more the merrier I say, its about time Platform fighters get some clout outside of Smash bros

I just hope Batman has a tether recovery option, I would be very disappointed if he didn't have the grappling hook as a recovery option.

This game could also topple Allstars because the developers see that All star's team was given a small budget and many of its problems are as a result from the small budget. NetherRealm could use NSAB as a template for how to improve their game and make it shine.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Apparently, NetherRealm is attempting to do a smash bros like fighting game too, how do you guys feel about this?
Honestly not super excited just yet. The characters we know of don't really appeal to me so far (Johnny Bravo is based as hell, though) and even though I have no experience with them personally, I've heard pretty much nothing but bad things about Netherrealm as a studio. Even as a fan of platform fighters and some WB stuff (add Grim/Dracula pls), this one's gonna have to win me over with either some really good gameplay or some stellar roster choices.
That said, it seems platform fighters in general are becoming way more popular in the wake of Ultimate's release. That can only be a good thing in helping the genre break out of niche territory.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I think I'd be pretty happy with it as long as the roster is very beefy and features characters from like a wide array of franchises (Looney tunes is high up there for me). With Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl I get the roster not starting out huge cus it's being worked upon still by a smaller team and is currently restricted to just Nickelodeon animated properties, but for a game being developed by a big publisher like NetherRealm and fully backed by WB, there's no reason the roster shouldn't be at at least 50 or so characters

Also pretty happy to hear that there is a good chance there may be zero Harry Potter stuff in it because **** Jk Terfling and her Transphobic, Antisemitic racist ass honeslty, the less money being funneled towards her and her bs the Better. (And Harry Potter as a franchise alone kinda sucks cus it has a lot bigoted and problematic stuff in it anyways and that's probably all due to JKR anyway)

Anyways, Shaggy is an amazing pick, I just hope they actually give him a good moveset based on stuff from actual Scooby Doo material, even if the main reason he would be picked is cus of the ultra instinct meme :p

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Apparently, NetherRealm is attempting to do a smash bros like fighting game too, how do you guys feel about this?
Well, this rumour isn't confirmed an so I'm trying to avoid having any real excitement for it - there's a trademark filing for "Multiversus" by WB that backs the rumour up, but it's also possible that the "leaker" just knew about that trademark and made the rumour to back it up - but I think it's exciting in premise at least? NetherRealm getting to make a cartoony game sounds potentially good after their last game involved some pretty ****ty treatment of workers, partly as a direct result of its more graphic and extreme content...

That said, it's also kind of hard for me to, like, imagine the roster and speculate about it as Warner Bros just owns or partially owns an absurd number of IPs. Like, here's a non-complete list of random franchises not listed on the "leak" that could theoretically be eligible for this game due to being owned by WarnerMedia, being owned by a subsidiary of WarnerMedia, or otherwise having Warner involved in their licensing:

- A Nightmare on Elm Street

- Ace Ventura‎

- Adventure Time

- Animaniacs

- Aquaman‎

- Austin Powers‎

- Beetlejuice

- Casablanca

- Dexter's Laboratory‎

- Final Destination

- Friday the 13th

- Friends

- Full House

- Game of Thrones‎

- It

- King Kong

- Looney Tunes

- Nancy Drew

- Over the Garden Wall

- Pretty Little Liars

- Richie Rich

- Rick and Morty‎

- RWBY

- Scribblenauts‎

- Sesame Street

- Sex and the City‎

- Sherlock Holmes (the Robert Downey Jr version in particular)

- Steven Universe‎

- Superman‎

- Sweeney Todd

- Tango & Cash

- The Exorcist

- The Flash

- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air‎

- The Mask‎

- The Matrix

- The NeverEnding Story

- The Powerpuff Girls‎

- The Secret Garden

- The Sopranos‎

- The Vampire Diaries‎

- ThunderCats‎

- Tom and Jerry‎

- V for Vendetta‎

- Westworld

- Willy Wonka‎

- Wonder Woman‎

Now, a lot of those IPs have co-ownerships and red tape that could result in them being excluded from the game as it's very easy to own movie/TV-show rights without also owning video game rights - and I am not saying that all of these IPs would be good IPs to include or are IPs I personally am a fan of - but the point is still obvious... This game could have an insane roster. People have been asking for a Disney Channel fighter after NASB; this is more on the level of a Disney overall fighter...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If this rumor is true I just hope that NetherRealm pays a bit more attention to their animations, Every NetherRealm game i've played has looked awkward and stiff as hell.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, this rumour isn't confirmed an so I'm trying to avoid having any real excitement for it - there's a trademark filing for "Multiversus" by WB that backs the rumour up, but it's also possible that the "leaker" just knew about that trademark and made the rumour to back it up - but I think it's exciting in premise at least? NetherRealm getting to make a cartoony game sounds potentially good after their last game involved some pretty ****ty treatment of workers, partly as a direct result of its more graphic and extreme content...

That said, it's also kind of hard for me to, like, imagine the roster and speculate about it as Warner Bros just owns or partially owns an absurd number of IPs. Like, here's a non-complete list of random franchises not listed on the "leak" that could theoretically be eligible for this game due to being owned by WarnerMedia, being owned by a subsidiary of WarnerMedia, or otherwise having Warner involved in their licensing:

- A Nightmare on Elm Street

- Ace Ventura‎

- Adventure Time

- Animaniacs

- Aquaman‎

- Austin Powers‎

- Beetlejuice

- Casablanca

- Dexter's Laboratory‎

- Final Destination

- Friday the 13th

- Friends

- Full House

- Game of Thrones‎

- It

- King Kong

- Looney Tunes

- Nancy Drew

- Over the Garden Wall

- Pretty Little Liars

- Richie Rich

- Rick and Morty‎

- RWBY

- Scribblenauts‎

- Sesame Street

- Sex and the City‎

- Sherlock Holmes (the Robert Downey Jr version in particular)

- Steven Universe‎

- Superman‎

- Sweeney Todd

- Tango & Cash

- The Exorcist

- The Flash

- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air‎

- The Mask‎

- The Matrix

- The NeverEnding Story

- The Powerpuff Girls‎

- The Secret Garden

- The Sopranos‎

- The Vampire Diaries‎

- ThunderCats‎

- Tom and Jerry‎

- V for Vendetta‎

- Westworld

- Willy Wonka‎

- Wonder Woman‎

Now, a lot of those IPs have co-ownerships and red tape that could result in them being excluded from the game as it's very easy to own movie/TV-show rights without also owning video game rights - and I am not saying that all of these IPs would be good IPs to include or are IPs I personally am a fan of - but the point is still obvious... This game could have an insane roster. People have been asking for a Disney Channel fighter after NASB; this is more on the level of a Disney overall fighter...
Actually, Tom & Jerry are in this game according to the leaker, presumably as this game's Ren & Stimpy-esque "duo fighter".
I get what you mean, though. This game's roster is gonna be such a hodgepodge that it might not even be appealing. NASB's roster at least has a coherent theme to it, all the characters are from Nicktoons (except the TMNT characters and Garfield, who I think are reasonable exceptions), whereas this game just sorta seems to be a random mishmash of whatever **** WB owns. I'd honestly much prefer a Punch-Time Explosion 2 or something like that since WB does own all the CN original shows now, but it's whatever really. If this whole thing does turn out to be entirely fabricated, I don't think much will have been lost TBH.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Yeah, as many people have pointed out, NetherRealm isn't known for being a good studio especially in regards to it's treatment of it's workers (though sadly, that is literally every big video game publisher and developer studio at this point because of how bad the game industry has become) so it's not exactly comforting knowing the bull**** that will probably happen behind the scenes for the game if it's real ....

Also, I'm remembering there was a reference in MK 11 to Samurai Jack actually in one of Cassie Cage's intros, so maybe that was a teaser for this ....

Watch out!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yesterday, I've informed my former baby cousin on NASB. While he did hear of it through word of mouth already, he hadn't seen gameplay of it in action yet, so he's definitely more interested in it now (and I've made sure to show him Shredder's Revenge gameplay as well). And yes, I mentioned the Garfield rumors, too.

Could be fun, if done right. We'd finally see people's silly wish of Batman in Smash gameplay come through. Now watch as we see the collective cry of fans when they notice the dev crunch that company's workers go through on a regular basis.

The more the merrier I say, its about time Platform fighters get some clout outside of Smash bros

I just hope Batman has a tether recovery option, I would be very disappointed if he didn't have the grappling hook as a recovery option.

This game could also topple Allstars because the developers see that All star's team was given a small budget and many of its problems are as a result from the small budget. NetherRealm could use NSAB as a template for how to improve their game and make it shine.
Not to mention that Warner Bros. has massive clout on marketing and aren't shy in regards to proper third party collaboration (even if the guest fighters in MK don't ever come back outside of the Joker, who is basically already WB property anyways).

Also, incidentally Injustice 2 had the Turtles.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It's funny, I remember suggesting something like this in this very thread, but I really think instead of just mashing together a bunch of **** like Space Jam 2, it should focus on animated characters and play off the fighting as if it's cartoon slapstick.

amageish

Smash Master
Actually, Tom & Jerry are in this game according to the leaker, presumably as this game's Ren & Stimpy-esque "duo fighter".
I get what you mean, though. This game's roster is gonna be such a hodgepodge that it might not even be appealing. NASB's roster at least has a coherent theme to it, all the characters are from Nicktoons (except the TMNT characters and Garfield, who I think are reasonable exceptions), whereas this game just sorta seems to be a random mishmash of whatever **** WB owns. I'd honestly much prefer a Punch-Time Explosion 2 or something like that since WB does own all the CN original shows now, but it's whatever really. If this whole thing does turn out to be entirely fabricated, I don't think much will have been lost TBH.
Right. I guess they'd make sense as a variation on "fight the foes by fighting each other"...

I enjoy incongruence and really liked aspects of things like LEGO Dimensions (which, by virtue of being a Warner Crossover game, could arguably be seen as a prelude of sorts to this, but with companies like Universal, Valve, and SEGA involved too), but it's hard to be super hyped and speculation-ready about a project of this scale to me. Like, they could easily include a 30-character roster with only franchises that have grossed millions of dollars and still not have anyone I love personally. It just makes speculation a lot less fun when its so broad and so based on corporate ownership?

I also am a bit worried about the potential lack of supporting characters or weirder choices. The leak has Gandalf and Ron Weasley as the only non-protagonists, with Gandalf already being the face of TLoTR in most crossovers due to him being in both The Hobbit and the original trilogy and Ron being... Look, if you're going to include Potter at all (which is a touchy subject to say the least and would likely result in me getting the game used to avoid supporting it directly with $$$), then at least pick characters more interesting then "Harry and Harry's sidekick who had all of his interesting characteristics stripped away from him in the movies"? Put in Professor McGonagall or Hagrid or, idk, Nearly Headless Nick - someone who is super unique and not just two versions of "Boy Wizard."

Yeah, as many people have pointed out, NetherRealm isn't known for being a good studio especially in regards to it's treatment of it's workers (though sadly, that is literally every big video game publisher and developer studio at this point because of how bad the game industry has become) so it's not exactly comforting knowing the bull**** that will probably happen behind the scenes for the game if it's real ....

Also, I'm remembering there was a reference in MK 11 to Samurai Jack actually in one of Cassie Cage's intros, so maybe that was a teaser for this ....

Watch out!
It's super depressing how normalized worker abuse is in this industry, but I feel like NetherRealm's situation is noticeably worse just due to the nature of the content they were being forced to consume at inhumane hours on an inhumane schedule. The NetherRealm situation has a lot of very obvious parallels to the Naughty Dog situation last year, but while the latter was subject to a lot of debate and a lot of weird false dilemma fallacies ("You appreciate that the game has a lesbian protagonist after Sony tried to play down Ellie's role in the marketing of the first game or you can support workers' rights; YOU CAN ONLY DO ONE OF THESE THINGS"), most reactions I saw to NetherRealm's abuse allegations amounted to "Lol, just find another job then"...

If that was a galaxy-brain tease, then that would be amazing lol. I would enjoy seeing Cartoon Network content in this game; they deserve better then what happened with Punch Time Explosion.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Until I see actual gameplay or the initial roster, I don't really care much about this.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, NR hasn't treated their female employees too well, not to mention the whole PTSD issues that stemmed from gory footage research.

It's funny, I remember suggesting something like this in this very thread, but I really think instead of just mashing together a bunch of **** like Space Jam 2, it should focus on animated characters and play off the fighting as if it's cartoon slapstick.
Or rather, not do hideous stage fusions like PSASBR did.

The best thing to do would be to have a stylized, cohesive art design that makes everyone not look like they stick out like a sore thumb (also an issue that PSASBR had). Something similar to Gotham Knights would be neat.

Other than that, yeah, with this project, picking a roster would be far too broad in terms of a casting a net and shows us why less is more. At least with only video games or Nick that gives us a general idea of what they'd go with, WB and NR meanwhile it'd be like "whatever people like". As in what, Scooby-Doo? The Wizard of Oz? The Matrix? King Kong?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Meanwhile, NR hasn't treated their female employees too well, not to mention the whole PTSD issues that stemmed from gory footage research.

Or rather, not do hideous stage fusions like PSASBR did.

The best thing to do would be to have a stylized, cohesive art design that makes everyone not look like they stick out like a sore thumb (also an issue that PSASBR had). Something similar to Gotham Knights would be neat.

Other than that, yeah, with this project, picking a roster would be far too broad in terms of a casting a net and shows us why less is more. At least with only video games or Nick that gives us a general idea of what they'd go with, WB and NR meanwhile it'd be like "whatever people like". As in what, Scooby-Doo? The Wizard of Oz? The Matrix? King Kong?
It would also lessen the chances of Mortal Kombat characters getting in Smash if they're going to be here instead.

amageish

Smash Master
What did the leaker say the roster was?

The "leak" has Shaggy Rogers, Gandalf, Tom & Jerry, Batman, Fred Flinstone, Mad Max, and Johnny Bravo. They also note that Harry Potter and Ron Weasley began development, but they may have been stopped due to the unique legal situation of the characters. The leaker notes that they know more characters and indicate they'll reveal more after the game is officially announced.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Personally speaking, the one property that'd get me to buy the game is what would be the deciding factor.

I said not long ago that I wouldn't mind if they stuffed much of the roster with characters from the property in question, I'd be so happy.

It would also lessen the chances of Mortal Kombat characters getting in Smash if they're going to be here instead.
I don't think they'd change at all. They'd go through every Western property possible before remembering that MK can be imported without an official release over there, and even then it'd still be rather low chances (if it wasn't zero in the first place).

But hey, for what it's worth, Scorpion would finally get some kind of Smash-style gameplay in NR's secret platform project, so it's good consolation if done well. :drshrug:

The "leak" has Shaggy Rogers, Gandalf, Tom & Jerry, Batman, Fred Flinstone, Mad Max, and Johnny Bravo. They also note that Harry Potter and Ron Weasley began development, but they may have been stopped due to the unique legal situation of the characters. The leaker notes that they know more characters and indicate they'll reveal more after the game is officially announced.
>Fred Flintstone
I, for one, would welcome the resurgence of SilvaGunner memes.

That said, it's good that we don't get Harry Potter any time soon, seeing as people have been annoyed with J.K. Rowling recently...

Edit: https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/m...bros-netherrealm-studios-new-game-multiverse/

A trademark for "Multiversus" did come up, so that's something.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Yeah, that was my thought too. Just being "HBO Max: The Game" the same way Space Jam 2 was "HBO Max: The Movie" doesn't have the same appeal and cohesion as "Video game characters only" and "Animated Nickelodeon characters only".

Basing it entirely on Warner Animation gives it a better sense of cohesion. Wacky cartoon characters beat the crap out of each other with little provocation all the time, platform fighters are inherently slapstick in nature, and WB's wealth of animated properties seem utterly perfect for a game like this. Looney Tunes! Hanna Barbera! The MGM Tom and Jerry/Tex Avery characters! The Spielberg/Amblin cartoons! Cartoon Network! Hell if you want more serious characters that still aren't strangers to comedic situations, the DCAU cast would be a real crowd pleaser.

But nah, WB is so in love with itself lately that it'll probably be a Ralph Breaks the Internet style hodgepodge of "look at all the stuff we own!"

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
The only reason I'm kinda on board with it being a broader thing than just own WB brand/theme (i.e only animation) is cus I think of characters like The Mask or Batman or Austin Powers/Dr Evil and other who I would genuinely think would be hilarious and awesome in a fighting game alongside characters like Shaggy and Fred Flintstone or Bugs Bunny etc.
But yeah, I totally do also get why people don't like it being so broad, it definitely will come off as a hodgepodge of so much Random stuff, but at least we can hope it still works despite that...

Also now I'm pretty certain Big Chungus will get in as Bugs Bunny's taunt

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only reason I'm kinda on board with it being a broader thing than just own WB brand/theme (i.e only animation) is cus I think of characters like The Mask or Batman or Austin Powers/Dr Evil and other who I would genuinely think would be hilarious and awesome in a fighting game alongside characters like Shaggy and Fred Flintstone or Bugs Bunny etc.
But yeah, I totally do also get why people don't like it being so broad, it definitely will come off as a hodgepodge of so much Random stuff, but at least we can hope it still works despite that...

Also now I'm pretty certain Big Chungus will get in as Bugs Bunny's taunt
If nothing else, I can respect the fact that the game exists at all just because the idea of Shaggy in a MK game was such a meme that they decided to do something more appropriate instead.

Also, just watch as the version of Batman we get is Caped Crusader.

amageish

Smash Master
>Fred Flintstone
I, for one, would welcome the resurgence of SilvaGunner memes.

That said, it's good that we don't get Harry Potter any time soon, seeing as people have been annoyed with J.K. Rowling recently...

Edit: https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/m...bros-netherrealm-studios-new-game-multiverse/

A trademark for "Multiversus" did come up, so that's something.
Definitely no shortage of meme potential in the roster.

Yeah, the trademark is an interesting sign, but it's also possible the leaker knew the trademark exists and made up a fake leak to fit it...

But nah, WB is so in love with itself lately that it'll probably be a Ralph Breaks the Internet style hodgepodge of "look at all the stuff we own!"
Yeah, this is really my fear. There's a lot of things I could enjoy in a WB platform fighter, but I would want to be more then just an IP showcase... I feel somewhat similarly about the idea of a Disney platform fighter - I'd enjoy a Disney-Pixar movies platform fighter or a Disney Channel platform fighter or a Marvel platform fighter or a Star Wars platform fighter, but if you're trying to be all of those at once... It's just much easier to lose my interest by being a jack of all trades and master of none.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Definitely no shortage of meme potential in the roster.

Yeah, the trademark is an interesting sign, but it's also possible the leaker knew the trademark exists and made up a fake leak to fit it...
The report comes the way of an anonymous source on a Reddit burner account, which usually isn't worth paying attention, but not long after the report surfaced, a trademark from Warner Bros. for "Multiversus" surfaced. Suffice to say, the report now has the Internet's attention.
Unless the guy time-travelled, well.

amageish

Smash Master
Unless the guy time-travelled, well.
They are using "surfaced" to mean "People found the trademark." It was filed just under a month ago, so it could have been discovered by the alleged leaker.

That said, it would also require someone having the interest in digging through trademark lists to fake a leak but... Well, it's not the dumbest thing people have done!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Right. I guess they'd make sense as a variation on "fight the foes by fighting each other"...

I enjoy incongruence and really liked aspects of things like LEGO Dimensions (which, by virtue of being a Warner Crossover game, could arguably be seen as a prelude of sorts to this, but with companies like Universal, Valve, and SEGA involved too), but it's hard to be super hyped and speculation-ready about a project of this scale to me. Like, they could easily include a 30-character roster with only franchises that have grossed millions of dollars and still not have anyone I love personally. It just makes speculation a lot less fun when its so broad and so based on corporate ownership?

I also am a bit worried about the potential lack of supporting characters or weirder choices. The leak has Gandalf and Ron Weasley as the only non-protagonists, with Gandalf already being the face of TLoTR in most crossovers due to him being in both The Hobbit and the original trilogy and Ron being... Look, if you're going to include Potter at all (which is a touchy subject to say the least and would likely result in me getting the game used to avoid supporting it directly with $$$), then at least pick characters more interesting then "Harry and Harry's sidekick who had all of his interesting characteristics stripped away from him in the movies"? Put in Professor McGonagall or Hagrid or, idk, Nearly Headless Nick - someone who is super unique and not just two versions of "Boy Wizard."

It's super depressing how normalized worker abuse is in this industry, but I feel like NetherRealm's situation is noticeably worse just due to the nature of the content they were being forced to consume at inhumane hours on an inhumane schedule. The NetherRealm situation has a lot of very obvious parallels to the Naughty Dog situation last year, but while the latter was subject to a lot of debate and a lot of weird false dilemma fallacies ("You appreciate that the game has a lesbian protagonist after Sony tried to play down Ellie's role in the marketing of the first game or you can support workers' rights; YOU CAN ONLY DO ONE OF THESE THINGS"), most reactions I saw to NetherRealm's abuse allegations amounted to "Lol, just find another job then"...

If that was a galaxy-brain tease, then that would be amazing lol. I would enjoy seeing Cartoon Network content in this game; they deserve better then what happened with Punch Time Explosion.
I guess I'm in the minority where I don't really like a crossover for the sake of a crossover. I honestly prefer games with mostly original rosters and maybe a few guest characters on the side, and if a game is gonna be a crossover, I'd like there to be some fighting sticks there that make it not just "a crossover," like how NASB is a collection of new and classic Nicktoons plus a few really famous guys who joined the family later on. It's why I got pretty burnt out on Smash with Ultimate, since that's I think when it went from being a mostly Nintendo-focused video game crossover to a generalized "celebration of gaming" or whatever BS people are parroting these days.
Honestly, this whole "Multiversus" thing makes me wonder if this gag was meant to be foreshadowing this game the whole time:
Also expect UI Shaggy to be either a boss character or an alt costume for Shaggy.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I guess I'm in the minority where I don't really like a crossover for the sake of a crossover. I honestly prefer games with mostly original rosters and maybe a few guest characters on the side, and if a game is gonna be a crossover, I'd like there to be some fighting sticks there that make it not just "a crossover," like how NASB is a collection of new and classic Nicktoons plus a few really famous guys who joined the family later on. It's why I got pretty burnt out on Smash with Ultimate, since that's I think when it went from being a mostly Nintendo-focused video game crossover to a generalized "celebration of gaming" or whatever BS people are parroting these days.
I do understand that. I find crossovers easy to do badly and hard to do well, but it really just comes down to "Are the developers/writers/whatever-form-of-artists-making-this-media clearly putting passion and effort into meaningfully combining the materials to produce something unique and interesting, or are they just trying to follow a corporate mandate?"... and Smash and NASB both fall into the former to me; you can tell how excited the creators were to work with the crazy amount of IPs put into their hands.

Honestly, this whole "Multiversus" thing makes me wonder if this gag was meant to be foreshadowing this game the whole time:
Also expect UI Shaggy to be either a boss character or an alt costume for Shaggy.
That... yeah... would likely be foreshadowing in this context...

On that note, I made a Bingo sheet for this game that may or may not exist.... because, idk, I was looking at a list of Warner IPs and wanted them visualized. Please not that inclusion in this BINGO sheet is not an endorsement of the IPs being good or them having aged well, it's just an indication that I think Warner would use them regardless of their quality...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do understand that. I find crossovers easy to do badly and hard to do well, but it really just comes down to "Are the developers/writers/whatever-form-of-artists-making-this-media clearly putting passion and effort into meaningfully combining the materials to produce something unique and interesting, or are they just trying to follow a corporate mandate?"... and Smash and NASB both fall into the former to me; you can tell how excited the creators were to work with the crazy amount of IPs put into their hands.

That... yeah... would likely be foreshadowing in this context...

On that note, I made a Bingo sheet for this game that may or may not exist.... because, idk, I was looking at a list of Warner IPs and wanted them visualized. Please not that inclusion in this BINGO sheet is not an endorsement of the IPs being good or them having aged well, it's just an indication that I think Warner would use them regardless of their quality...

Honestly, I think we can all agree that Finn being in the game would be waaaaaaaaaaaay more apt than in Brawlhalla.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Doesn't WB own Jojo?
Just the localization and stuff, I don't think they can actually use the characters or anything.

It's the same way how 20th century Fox was (before the Disney buyout) was distributing Dragon Ball movies I believe, it doesn't mean that they own the property or can do whatever they want.

That said, that doesn't mean guest characters like one of the JoJos would be out of the equation, I mean hell, even ignoring the WB connection, MK 11 had the terminator, and that's universal I'm pretty sure

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly, I think we can all agree that Finn being in the game would be waaaaaaaaaaaay more apt than in Brawlhalla.
Yup. Honestly, Finn seems like almost a sure thing if the game actually is real.

Interestingly, fairly prolific insider Jeff Grubb has endorsed the game as real, but says NetherRealm isn't involved... which suggests this may be another case of a real leak with the person editorializing the motiviation/backstory of the game (so, Warner Bros wanted a platform fighter post-Smash-Ultimate success, but it wasn't because of Ultra Instinct Shaggy and the calls for him to be Mortal Kombat DLC).

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Yup. Honestly, Finn seems like almost a sure thing if the game actually is real.

Interestingly, fairly prolific insider Jeff Grubb has endorsed the game as real, but says NetherRealm isn't involved... which suggests this may be another case of a real leak with the person editorializing the motiviation/backstory of the game (so, Warner Bros wanted a platform fighter post-Smash-Ultimate success, but it wasn't because of Ultra Instinct Shaggy and the calls for him to be Mortal Kombat DLC).
Now I'm wondering how much of that roster was real too,

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

The original leaker responded, take with a grain of salt of course
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/qewrsd/comment/hhwejsn/

If NetherRealm is involved but not making the game itself, that would lead me to believe they are solely there to work in MK characters into the roster (sorry fellow Scorpion for Smash fans :c )

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
The original leaker responded, take with a grain of salt of course
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/qewrsd/comment/hhwejsn/

If NetherRealm is involved but not making the game itself, that would lead me to believe they are solely there to work in MK characters into the roster (sorry fellow Scorpion for Smash fans :c )
Interesting response! That would make some sense; NetherRealm being involved as on consultant role...

The fact that his leaked in so many places makes me kind of wonder if it'll be in the upcoming Sony State of Play... I know the Game Awards is what has been reported as its likely announcement place, but the trademark papers going public makes me think it is going to be announced soon-ish.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Interesting response! That would make some sense; NetherRealm being involved as on consultant role...

The fact that his leaked in so many places makes me kind of wonder if it'll be in the upcoming Sony State of Play... I know the Game Awards is what has been reported as its likely announcement place, but the trademark papers going public makes me think it is going to be announced soon-ish.
Yeah, usually when this stuff leaks, it means that they'll be officially announced REALLY soon. (Case in point, NASB initially leaked only two days before the official announcement.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yeah, usually when this stuff leaks, it means that they'll be officially announced REALLY soon. (Case in point, NASB initially leaked only two days before the official announcement.)
Both some pretty good points. At any rate, we'll find out soon enough. The latest State of Play has a paltry 20 minutes, so if it's announced there they'd have to make it snappy.

SpongeBob fans were happy about him getting Smash-style gameplay at all, so I think that folks like UserKev UserKev would be cool with it, really. The best consolation prize one could ask for.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Which characters have more star power and iconicness to you guys, Nickelodeon's characters or Warner Brothers?

I like to think the latter is way bigger and more recognizable.
Warner easily. Nick has some really iconic characters - SpongeBob, Aang, the Turtles, R&S, you-know-who - but very few can reach Bugs Bunny/Gandalf/Scooby levels.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Which characters have more star power and iconicness to you guys, Nickelodeon's characters or Warner Brothers?

I mean, Warner has folks like Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, goddamn SUPERMAN. It's not really a contest there; a few SpongeBobs and Garfields aren't gonna stand up to the WB lineup in terms of iconicity.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Honestly, this comparison isn't remotely fair. Like stacking up sandwiches against pasta.

Top Bottom