• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Chaddeus would frown upon your sourpuss attitude :(
No seriously, I dislike how Sakurai/the latest Smash always has an audience that treats him/it like a sacred cow, and "Chaddeus" might be the first step towards adopting the same "no criticism, sacred cow" mindset. At least NASB can't be considered a sacred cow for having an 80+ character roster with Mickey, Bugs, Goku, Shrek, and Homer on it, and most likely will never have that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Chaddeus would frown upon your sourpuss attitude :(
Besides, the guy's been more warmly received by the community than Ludosity's nature documentary announcer (or is it Fair Play Labs? I can't tell.). He's mainly a community manager, no one is pretending that he's the game's director.

It's either this or continuing to refer to Ludosity, Game Mill and Fair Play Labs as monolithic entities. Not that FPL ever gets discussed very much, seeing how it's not clear how much they contributed, exactly.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Besides, the guy's been more warmly received by the community than Ludosity's nature documentary announcer (or is it Fair Play Labs? I can't tell.). He's mainly a community manager, no one is pretending that he's the game's director.

It's either this or continuing to refer to Ludosity, Game Mill and Fair Play Labs as monolithic entities. Not that FPL ever gets discussed very much, seeing how it's not clear how much they contributed, exactly.
I'll take monolithic entities, thank you very much.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Had to order the game from the USA Amazon site, but at least now it's finally coming lol

also regarding iCarly and Dan Schneider's work in general, yeah the good majority has aged poorly and is riddled with crap to be expected from crappy media from that era (creepy fetish stuff, homophobia, Transphobia, low-key Racism and sterotypes, hatred of the homeless/poor, ableism, the whole lot of **** really)

iCarly suffered from that especially, with episodes like iPsycho and the fan episode comes to mind, but on top of that it's also just a really mean-spirited show where the main characters are a bunch of horrible people who hurt everyone around then with very little repercussions. Even if I had nostalgia from watching it as a kid and some jokes occasionally work, the good majority of it was not a fun experience revisiting.

I hear the newest revival season is pretty bad too

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Had to order the game from the USA Amazon site, but at least now it's finally coming lol

also regarding iCarly and Dan Schneider's work in general, yeah the good majority has aged poorly and is riddled with crap to be expected from crappy media from that era (creepy fetish stuff, homophobia, Transphobia, low-key Racism and sterotypes, hatred of the homeless/poor, ableism, the whole lot of **** really)

iCarly suffered from that especially, with episodes like iPsycho and the fan episode comes to mind, but on top of that it's also just a really mean-spirited show where the main characters are a bunch of horrible people who hurt everyone around then with very little repercussions. Even if I had nostalgia from watching it as a kid and some jokes occasionally work, the good majority of it was not a fun experience revisiting.

It's been like 10 years since I've seen it but if I recall correctly Spencer wasn't that bad.

amageish

Smash Master
Without getting too involved in the current debates, I'll just post this.
1634779767377.png

Well, I'm glad it is coming! Hopefully the supply issues short themselves out sooner rather then later...

Oh god, yeah, there were multiple episodes of iCarly that basically amounted to "Let's make fun of an autistic stereotype," which... is just yikes. Much yikes. So very yikes.

The reboot I saw a bit of and it seemed.... okay, but kind of purposeless? Like, it seemed the only reasons to continue watching were: (i) more will-they-won't-they shipbait stuff that I just cannot bring myself to care about as an adult and (ii) finding out which actors remained non-traumatized enough that they were willing to return for the reboot.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sigh This is the reason why i want both of these characters in the game.
As for me in regards to Squidward, it's this.

I expected something more in-depth when a major news network interviews you, but the one new tidbit is pretty funny.
On the bright side, this publicity should bring in more customers.

That being said, DotEmu were also contacted by Nick prior to working on Shredder's Revenge with Tribute Games, so at least we know that Nick's involvement generally amounts to "you, make something neat for us".

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Unless you want to include characters Nickelodeon finds the inclusion of weird, then you gotta beg for months to get them to say okay.
Given all the options we got outside of the most biggest and/or well-known series, scrounging up enough for seasonal DLC may take a while.

4707a01077e2a4f5d6a8dd8b7e0590b3.jpeg

On that note, it does make one wonder who at Ludosity handles the negotiation begging side of things. I assume it'd be the president.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I can actually understand why Nick Brawl has been such a success in Japan.
  1. These characters are explicitly designed to be marketable and easy to put on shirts, so even without watching the shows or hearing the voices you can grow to love these characters quickly - in fact, don't quote me on this but I remember reading somewhere that SpongeBob is considered more of a Hello Kitty-like entity in Japan, where the cartoons are supplimentary to the merchandise.
  2. Most Western fighting games use a (semi-)realistic art style, which AFAIK doesn't really appeal to Eastern audiences - however, people do tend to underestimate the appeal of cartoonish art styles to Japanese audiences. The most popular anime character, for example, isn't Goku - it's Doraemon, a character who could be easily mistaken for an American cartoon to an untrained eye.
  3. It's just fun, and even over here that's made it win over people who don't like cartoons.
Good thing there's little to no language barrier. Just imagine how it'll be like when Jenny gets in.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I've ever heard anything about Teenage Robot being particularly popular in Japan outside of this thread.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Most Western fighting games use a (semi-)realistic art style, which AFAIK doesn't really appeal to Eastern audiences - however, people do tend to underestimate the appeal of cartoonish art styles to Japanese audiences. The most popular anime character, for example, isn't Goku - it's Doraemon, a character who could be easily mistaken for an American cartoon to an untrained eye.
If you're referring to Mortal Kombat, I think one issue that's hurt it the most is its gameplay straying too far from tropes established by Street Fighter, while not having the depth of 3D fighters to back the changes up.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I've ever heard anything about Teenage Robot being particularly popular in Japan outside of this thread.
It's understandable to me, a character like Jenny would seem like someone who'd appeal to Japan. Other things to note about Japan and Nick, if TV Tropes is right:

• All Grown Up caught on there much better than the original Rugrats did.
  • They apparently have a ChalkZone fanbase due to its cutesy aesthetics.
  • It's the only nation that was still rerunning Kablam in 2008.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If you're referring to Mortal Kombat, I think one issue that's hurt it the most is its gameplay straying too far from tropes established by Street Fighter, while not having the depth of 3D fighters to back the changes up.

It's understandable to me, a character like Jenny would seem like someone who'd appeal to Japan. Other things to note about Japan and Nick, if TV Tropes is right:

• All Grown Up caught on there much better than the original Rugrats did.
  • They apparently have a ChalkZone fanbase due to its cutesy aesthetics.
  • It's the only nation that was still rerunning Kablam in 2008.
Her certain resemblance to Hatsune Miku did at least appeal to some folks over there (mainly in Pixiv).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Her certain resemblance to Hatsune Miku did at least appeal to some folks over there (mainly in Pixiv).
speaking of pixiv
This one piece of fanart just coincidentally aligns with those facts about Nick in Japan I mentioned, as AGU, ChalkZone, and Kablam (via ALN) are all represented in it, as is MLAATR with Jenny being in the center.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Why do you keep assuming every major game event will have NASB content?
Because they once managed to do it with GamesCom somehow and I have no clue when they'd have an appropriate time to do it otherwise (besides "when it's ready"). With how scattershot the marketing has been, there'll probably be content-drop news on Kotaku instead.

And there's no guarantee that he'll show up on Christmas, either.

Other than that, does anyone have any Nicktoon-viewing stories to share? It feels like I've already seen most of SpongeBob season 9 on the telly.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Because they once managed to do it with GamesCom somehow and I have no clue when they'd have an appropriate time to do it otherwise (besides "when it's ready"). With how scattershot the marketing has been, there'll probably be content-drop news on Kotaku instead.

And there's no guarantee that he'll show up on Christmas, either.

Other than that, does anyone have any Nicktoon-viewing stories to share? It feels like I've already seen most of SpongeBob season 9 on the telly.
I've seen CatDog, Rocko, and Ren & Stimpy on Nicktoons Network as a kid. this was the first time i've seen them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've seen CatDog, Rocko, and Ren & Stimpy on Nicktoons Network as a kid. this was the first time i've seen them.
On my end, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters is among the first Nicktoons I've seen as a lad, via YTV. Beyond that I'm not sure exactly which of them I saw in what order on it after that, though I definitely saw the majority of them before the mid-00s. You and I are among the most relatively well-adjusted here, yet we've seen the most messed-up things so early, go figure.

The update's still not out on Xbox. Not sure if this is because they're trying to fix the server issues before adding new content or if Microsoft is just taking a long time to certify the patch.
The former seems pretty likely,

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Nicktoons started the year before I was born, so they're the earliest things I remember seeing. I wasn't allowed to watch Ren and Stimpy (though I remember it barely ever airing once I was old enough to remember things) so I mostly remember Doug, Rugrats, Rocko and Angry Beavers. My favorites were Beavers and Rugrats. I actually saw the Rugrats live show and the movie in theaters, matter of fact.

Top Bottom