• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Peepo T. Skeleton Peepo T. Skeleton All Xbox versions have online that crashes, though that'll be fixed at some point.

Seeing Rango up relatively high really does show how damn popular that movie still is to this day damn

If the devs are looking at this poll and Nickelodeon is willing, he May actually have a decent shot to get in now 0_0

Also lol at Henery Danger being so low :p
I also heard that Henry Danger kinda just sucks, so there's that too I guess.
Henry Danger being that low isn't shocking, seeing how dismal of a reputation his franchise has. It's a wonder he somehow ranked higher than Pinky Malinky.

The cartoon spin-off apparently does nothing that the parent show wouldn't have already done anyway and its animation has been compared to GoAnimate.

Fanboy & Chum Chum are the highest characters of their OWN series infront of Kyle and Boog, strangely funny but also interesting despite placing around the 40's.

The Catscratch Trio and Parker being this low saddens me, Miko's placement has me a little curious as i thought she was one of the most requested characters, same said with Kappa Mikey too.

Otis being in the 10's makes me a little relief since it shows that people are still wishing to see Barnyard in this game. maybe if Nick were to let Otis in, they'd be willing to drop their potential stinginess of ignoring the series for the sake of the show's fans(though if they hated barnyard then why show reruns of it on tv?)
Rerunning an old show is okay since it means not having to produce any new episodes for it anymore (assuming it doesn't get in the way of SpongeBob airings very much. It's not like this is going to randomly be a Johnny Test situation.

Some Nicktoons aren't lucky to even get that much.

That said, I hope that post-bonus, seasonal DLC starts during middle/late Winter so that fan demand can actually shift some more...

Yeah, the reviews seem to say that it isn't amazing, but it is a solid foundation to be built off of... I should also check it out at some point.

If they do do another one like this, it'd be interesting to see the data we'd get if it also asked some basic demographic info (age, gender, country, etc)... I'm curious how different things are depending on how long ago you were a kid what aired around you, and what shows were marketed at you constantly...

Yeah, I'm surprised Rango did that well as well! We'll see if he makes it in; he'd be a funny surprising choice and definitely has the moveset potential.

Modern + Blurring The Line Between 2D and Live-Action is a bad 1-2 combo, I suppose...
The show is currently an ongoing one and doesn't have many episodes at the moment since it started a few months ago, so that's pretty understandable.

That said, there'll be Halloween-themed episodes apparently airing on Friday.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Henry Danger being that low isn't shocking, seeing how dismal of a reputation his franchise has
I thought he'd be popular with the kids, with how much Henry Danger-related stuff seems to air on Nick. Or is it adults that he has a negative reputation with?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I thought he'd be popular with the kids, with how much Henry Danger-related stuff seems to air on Nick. Or is it adults that he has a negative reputation with?
It's adults that he has a negative reputation with, and adults are the ones who primarily responded to the poll. I don't know if Henry is even an option because he started out as a live action character, even if he did get an animated spinoff.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The latter, mostly. To put it bluntly, the main characters are so unlikable and/or incompetent that those viewers would root for the villains to win. That's not a good sign for a superhero show.

The only reason it lasted so long is its dedicated kid audience.

It's adults that he has a negative reputation with, and adults are the ones who primarily responded to the poll. I don't know if Henry is even an option because he started out as a live action character, even if he did get an animated spinoff.
If Ludosity are aware of the show, they'd probably leave him out by principle even if he does have a loophole.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I need to say something im sad that nowadays games release so unfinnished and you are supposed to shut up until all dlc released! (nothing against ludosity im talking about nick) And i waited until all of acs dlc released and it still feels really unfinnished compared to New leaf!

I mean if the Dlc is affordable i might get Nick allstar brawl later! but right now i pass!

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Little late getting back to the party but pretty happy about that patch list. Haven't had a chance yet to try out the changes. Interested to see how dash dancing feels/functions in this game. Glad they addressed some serious balance issues and made DI better also as well as just fixing some oversights (Like Patrick's command input not giving armor like it was supposed to).

Also glad the patch wasn't a slaughter. The changes were tame and to bring things into line so the matches aren't so polaraizing or braindead. Kudos to the team.

amageish

Smash Master
The show is currently an ongoing one and doesn't have many episodes at the moment since it started a few months ago, so that's pretty understandable.

That said, there'll be Halloween-themed episodes apparently airing on Friday.
Yeah, plus it's fairly common for modern TV shows to have the first half of Season 1 basically feel like an extended pilot as they continue to refine their premise and cover the groundwork needed to establish what the world actually is like...

Oh right! I did hear those were coming up. Apparently Lucy's getting a 30-minute special, so that's neat...

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I was thinking about Rango again, and I had a thought.

so we know the devs and Nickelodeon are considering Voice Acting further down the line eventually, and it's made me wonder, since it's very unlikely that Johnny Depp himself would come back to voice Rango for the game, would it be more likely we see his voice actor from the Rango video game, Jared Butler, come and voice him should Rango get in as DLC?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was thinking about Rango again, and I had a thought.

so we know the devs and Nickelodeon are considering Voice Acting further down the line eventually, and it's made me wonder, since it's very unlikely that Johnny Depp himself would come back to voice Rango for the game, would it be more likely we see his voice actor from the Rango video game, Jared Butler, come and voice him should Rango get in as DLC?
In a word, yes. After all, the guy came back to reprise Jack Sparrow for the PotC crossover in Sea of Thieves, so I imagine he would be readily available.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I need to say something im sad that nowadays games release so unfinnished and you are supposed to shut up until all dlc released! (nothing against ludosity im talking about nick) And i waited until all of acs dlc released and it still feels really unfinnished compared to New leaf!

I mean if the Dlc is affordable i might get Nick allstar brawl later! but right now i pass!
Being fair here, smash ultimate wasnt ready for release. Its obvious Piranha Plant was supposed to be base game and the game had some pretty broken moves on release. In general, it seems like it has become a gaming standard rather than something that happened to just NASB.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Being fair here, smash ultimate wasnt ready for release. Its obvious Piranha Plant was supposed to be base game and the game had some pretty broken moves on release. In general, it seems like it has become a gaming standard rather than something that happened to just NASB.
I do find the idea of PP being planned for base game a little questionable given the Nipper Plant spirit, but yeah I get what you're saying. I don't think there's been a major release that's complete at launch since the 3DS at most, and that's just because the 3DS got support for updates way too late.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the thing with NASB here is that it feels pretty barebones by modern fighting game standards at launch, at least in regards to some aspects like modes. Though at least it still has more characters in the base game than Street Fighter V did at launch, even if it isn't by much (20 as opposed to 16). Still not taking any chances though, my former baby cousin might come over this weekend, so I'll tell him about the game since the TMNT are in it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It sucks that a lot of games are released incomplete, but games HAVE to do it in order for their base prices to not go up because of inflation, sadly.
It could be worse, in Canada the dollar sunk so badly there that buying games is a luxury nowadays (around 80$ for major game releases at launch, and that's without the tax).

Regardless of anything, at least we should consider ourselves lucky that the game's high concept was enough for a lot of people to back it, regardless if it's complete or not. If this was Nickelodeon Kart Racer, we wouldn't see extra characters and stages until the sequel a couple years from now.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
It could be worse, in Canada the dollar sunk so badly there that buying games is a luxury nowadays (around 80$ for major game releases at launch, and that's without the tax).

Regardless of anything, at least we should consider ourselves lucky that the game's high concept was enough for a lot of people to back it, regardless if it's complete or not. If this was Nickelodeon Kart Racer, we wouldn't see extra characters and stages until the sequel a couple years from now.
Yeah, PS5 games cost $89.99 here before tax, which definitely sucks. If Nintendo follows with the $10 price hike then I'm personally definitely going to be cutting down on my Nintendo game consumption, reducing it to the few franchises that I know I will always play the games of to the end and a few key multiplayer games... It's hard to justify spending a day's wages on something that you don't know for 100% certain you will enjoy, you know?

Speaking on NASB and Canada, things have gotten even weirder now: I see most online stores continue to list the game as unavailable, but the few that do have it are listing it as $80, when the game is $50 digitally... This is on websites like Amazon, so I'm guessing that these are third-party sellers taking advantage of the stock shortage to flip them for a profit, but it's still kind of a crazy situation.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I do find the idea of PP being planned for base game a little questionable given the Nipper Plant spirit, but yeah I get what you're saying. I don't think there's been a major release that's complete at launch since the 3DS at most, and that's just because the 3DS got support for updates way too late.
...I don't really see how the Nipper Plant spirit calls the idea of Piranha Plant being planned as base game into question, especially in light of all the other weird stuff surrounding it, namely that:

A. It's the only bonus character released for DLC despite no other character being given the same treatment

B. Its reveal trailer feels like they needed to rush things a bit and thus exclusively used in-game footage while every DLC character afterwards got more proper high-budget reveals,

C. (and most damning of all) it has its own unique Palutena's Guidance segment while every other DLC fighter got the generic "Who is that" version that was also present in Smash 4.

D. More recently, Piranha Plant was included with the other base game fighters in the montage during the Sora presentation instead of with the other DLC fighters.

All these factors leave me to believe that Piranha Plant was intended for base game, but was made a bonus character when they weren't able to finish him in time for the game's release, and that's the Smash Ultimate hill I'm choosing to die on.

...Sorry if this is off-topic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking on NASB and Canada, things have gotten even weirder now: I see most online stores continue to list the game as unavailable, but the few that do have it are listing it as $80, when the game is $50 digitally... This is on websites like Amazon, so I'm guessing that these are third-party sellers taking advantage of the stock shortage to flip them for a profit, but it's still kind of a crazy situation.
Yeah, hopefully there'll be movement on the stock front by Christmas. The only Nick game situation that matched this kind of lunacy was when the special editions for Battle For Bikini Bottom were unveiled. Though I have a really good paycheque, so it's no skin off my nose.

Anyway, how's the Halloween marathon event going for you?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, hopefully there'll be movement on the stock front by Christmas. The only Nick game situation that matched this kind of lunacy was when the special editions for Battle For Bikini Bottom were unveiled. Though I have a really good paycheque, so it's no skin off my nose.

Anyway, how's the Halloween marathon event going for you?
Yeah, hopefully it'll improve soon! As this is getting the tiniest bit silly...

Oh, it happened! It went mostly well, I think, but I did learn two important lessons:

1) My Life as a Teenage Robot has aged wonderfully. Like, if you ignore the aspect ratio and how Nick+ had weirdly bad quality for the shows (like, I think that more morally-grey services would probably provide a better costumer experience then the official Amazon Prime one), the actual episode was fantastic on basically all fronts. Good jokes, a likeable protagonist, great art style, and a very good episode structure with a simple moral for kids to learn. I knew it was good and I have seen some other episodes recently, but I was very impressed by the Halloween episode, especially given how it is the 2nd episode of the entire series.

2) Victorious has aged terribly and iCarly didn't fare off too much better (at least based on their Halloween specials). Like, my goodness, those shows were just mean? Very mean? Every second joke was just a character dunking on another character (whether verbally or physically) for failing to meet some sort of arbitary standard which I guess makes them worthy of harassment (ex/ Freddie wears a very-normal-looking witch costume for Halloween, which is not masculine enough). Moreover, Victorious' "Halloween special" wasn't even properly Halloween-themed! It just involved the main characters being stuck in a lower-class neighbourhood and being scared of poor people physically assaulting them. It "subverted the audience's expectations" by having the poor people ultimately be nice to the main cast (changing their tire to help them drive out of the neighborhood), but the final joke of the episode was still a scene of a man touching Jade without her consent because, um, her discomfort is unfunny I guess... It was just super unfunny and uncomfortable to watch - made worse by the creators' reputation.

dlewis53

Smash Lord

Oh, it happened! It went mostly well, I think, but I did learn two important lessons:

1) My Life as a Teenage Robot has aged wonderfully. Like, if you ignore the aspect ratio and how Nick+ had weirdly bad quality for the shows (like, I think that more morally-grey services would probably provide a better costumer experience then the official Amazon Prime one), the actual episode was fantastic on basically all fronts. Good jokes, a likeable protagonist, great art style, and a very good episode structure with a simple moral for kids to learn. I knew it was good and I have seen some other episodes recently, but I was very impressed by the Halloween episode, especially given how it is the 2nd episode of the entire series.

2) Victorious has aged terribly and iCarly didn't fare off too much better (at least based on their Halloween specials). Like, my goodness, those shows were just mean? Very mean? Every second joke was just a character dunking on another character (whether verbally or physically) for failing to meet some sort of arbitary standard which I guess makes them worthy of harassment (ex/ Freddie wears a very-normal-looking witch costume for Halloween, which is not masculine enough). Moreover, Victorious' "Halloween special" wasn't even properly Halloween-themed! It just involved the main characters being stuck in a lower-class neighbourhood and being scared of poor people physically assaulting them. It "subverted the audience's expectations" by having the poor people ultimately be nice to the main cast (changing their tire to help them drive out of the neighborhood), but the final joke of the episode was still a scene of a man touching Jade without her consent because, um, her discomfort is unfunny I guess... It was just super unfunny and uncomfortable to watch - made worse by the creators' reputation.
What episode of MLaaTR did you watch again?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Victorious is almost Lynchian sometimes, and not in the kino way:

amageish

Smash Master
Raggedy Android. Checking the Wiki, it was apparently the first episode of the show in creation order. It involves Jenny going to a local fair in a human costume.

Victorious is almost Lynchian sometimes, and not in the kino way:

Truly. I guess it was a Halloween special as it is horrifying that we accepted this as good comedy to show children...

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location

I've heard that MLaaTR only gets better and more relevant with age. Been a while since I watched it though.

Never watched Victorious, but yikes, that sounds pretty ghastly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The lesson of the day is, Schneider was lucky that Nick's young audience took his stuff seriously at all (and consequently Nick letting him do whatever as long as they got good ratings and ****). Incidentally, his final work before his sudden forced exodus was Henry Danger.

Also, I can confirm the patch arrived.

I believe that he put Raggedy Android in his list.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I've heard that MLaaTR only gets better and more relevant with age. Been a while since I watched it though.

Never watched Victorious, but yikes, that sounds pretty ghastly.
Yeah, I'm quite impressed by it! It felt like a very modern show, especially in the themes of self-identification being a route to personal happiness that are present in Jenny's story.

It was very not good! Honestly, my memories of the show was really it just being a metric tonne of shipbait - like, every character was teased as being possible romantically interested in basically every other character... I just recall seeing a lot of ads being like "Will [character] and [other character] get along this week? Tune into Victorious!" and that's about it...

The lesson of the day is, Schneider was lucky that Nick's young audience took his stuff seriously at all (and consequently Nick letting him do whatever as long as they got good ratings and ****). Incidentally, his final work before his sudden forced exodus was Henry Danger.
Yeah, it does feel like all three of the creeps fired by Nick were really non-surprising in retrospect. Schneider's creepiness really sours a lot of his work though, as it really feels like some moments were entirely designed around fulfilling his, um, interests.

Personally I would've gone with either the sequel to that episode or "The Puppet Bride" for creepy MLaaTR episodes, but maybe that's just me.
I was going with the Wiki page which listed the two Raggedy Android episodes both as the show's Halloween specials, though The Puppet Bride is probably more properly creepy. All the Wiki page really means is that they included Raggedy Android when doing Halloween marathons...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, it does feel like all three of the creeps fired by Nick were really non-surprising in retrospect. Schneider's creepiness really sours a lot of his work though, as it really feels like some moments were entirely designed around fulfilling his, um, interests.
Meanwhile, Vasquez was more of a harmless loony, but as a tradeoff his show got cancelled since it wasn't a big success (his former coworker Steve Ressel, on the other hand...). In that sense, it feels refreshing to get Middlemost Post, a show from someone who's actually gotten better from their own mental issues.

Personally speaking, if I had to choose a show centered on superheroes blended within society between two different networks, I'd go for CN's OK KO over Nick's Henry Danger any day, since the former seems better overall and doesn't handle the "guy crushes over hero's mom" subplot in a creepy way.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Meanwhile, Vasquez was more of a harmless loony, but as a tradeoff his show got cancelled since it wasn't a big success (his former coworker Steve Ressel, on the other hand...). In that sense, it feels refreshing to get Middlemost Post, a show from someone who's actually gotten better from their own mental issues.

Personally speaking, if I had to choose a show centered on superheroes blended within society between two different networks, I'd go for CN's OK KO over Nick's Henry Danger any day, since the former seems better overall and doesn't handle the "guy crushes over hero's mom" subplot in a creepy way.
Oof, yeah. A show about someone's recovery journal through kid-friendly allegory seems much more enticing to me then the many shows we've gotten that are the manifestations of the mental health issues of their creators...

OK KO vs Henry Danger feels like a pretty darn one-sided fight

LimeTH

Smash Lord
This is why I could never get into iCarly, it felt like every other scene was Sam beating the **** out of Freddy over some minor thing.

amageish

Smash Master
This is why I could never get into iCarly, it felt like every other scene was Sam beating the **** out of Freddy over some minor thing.
Yeah, uh, I did watch a lot of it as a kid, but I can't say it was an especially good show in retrospect. It was just quite mean towards its own characters as well as whatever group the writers' room decided to **** on that week. I mean, the iCarly Wiki has an entire page dedicated to discussing homeless people being the but of jokes because that is such a major motif during the first few seasons of the show. Like, I know it was ten years ago and humanity's capacity for empathy has expanded in these ten years, but I feel like the fixation on hating persons and groups of persons really makes it hard to watch in retrospect... if the scenes related to Dan's "special interests" didn't make it awkward enough already.

and then she and freddy became a couple, which apparently mad people unhappy.
They dated for like three or four episodes? It was very odd. It felt like the writers did it passive-aggressively to prove to the fandom how obviously toxic the relationship between Freddie and Sam would be, which... yeah Freddie and Sam are a toxic duo, but the writers were the ones who had them kiss and made multiple episodes about the ramification of said kiss...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One interesting thing I haven't seen anyone here comment on is that Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy's past selves were used in the poll.

Once voice acting is a thing, do you think the devs would use soundalikes for Adam West and Burt Ward? Although including MM and BB first would be unlikely since there's still candidates like Squidward and Mr. Krabs...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It can be assumed that the safest picks on the roster are Nickelodeon's choices, while the most wacky picks are Ludosity's...

...so how did GameMill contribute to the game's roster? Just curious.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
It can be assumed that the safest picks on the roster are Nickelodeon's choices, while the most wacky picks are Ludosity's...

Would they even have an actual say? Isn't GameMill solely the distributer/publisher? Last I knew the publishers/distributor didn't get a say in anything in the development phase (under most circumstances)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'm pretty sure that they just agree with whatever Ludosity goes with.

Or, if the leaked placeholder announcer calls are any indication, they throw a lot of things at the wall and see what sticks.

Would they even have an actual say? Isn't GameMill solely the distributer/publisher? Last I knew the publishers/distributor didn't get a say in anything in the development phase (under most circumstances)
Last I checked, Chaddeus did state that both Game Mill and Ludosity agree on picks before pitching them to Nick.

Top Bottom