• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
No he would presumably be different than in MvC (even though, conceptually, that's not a bad way to integrate Phoenix Wright into a fighting game), but that doesn't really matter, because the point is he's not seen to be a character that's infeasible. So getting some completely different visual novel character won't change much. Because people already think he could work.

Also just because characters share a genre doesn't mean they'd operate in at all the same fashion in Smash. Jigglypuff and Sephiroth come from the same genre. Kazuya and Min Min come from the same genre. Does Olimar give you a good idea of how Illidan Stormrage would be in Smash?
lol that’s a good analogy. I feel like Illidan wouldn’t really incorporate elements from the RTS genre into his moveset but instead focus solely in his individual abilities. I could see either Kerrigan or Arthas using some kind of resource system to summon units though. Kerrigan being the queen of the Zerg makes a lot of sense to summon armies of Zerg minions. Similarly, Arthas could make a lot of sense summoning various undead units. Even if they did summon units, I feel like they’d almost definitely function very differently than Olimar’s Pikmin.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So I follow ESAM and he's clamoring for Metroid Prime 4 news during the direct but what is Silksong the other game he wants news about?

OMG Omni too he labeled his twitch stream Silksong Waiting Room wtf

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So I follow ESAM and he's clamoring for Metroid Prime 4 news during the direct but what is Silksong the other game he wants news about?

OMG Omni too he labeled his twitch stream Silksong Waiting Room wtf
It’s that meme of a Nintendo Direct “leak” where every reveal was Hollow Knight Silksong

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
This Direct had a lot more big hits than I thought it would, honestly!

New Mario & Luigi, new Mario Party, Zelda game where you play as Zelda, some light Prime 4 stuff as a one more thing, Ace Attorney Investigations 2 in English for the first time. Incredibly hype for Mario & Luigi Brothership, since it actually features original characters and I wasn't sure if Nintendo had it in em without AlphaDream.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I said we'd get a Square Enix remake (although that still would have been kinda obvious), and we got three. Dragon Quest III, Dragon Quest I & II and Romancing SaGa 2.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
They cooked tbh.
This was the first good Direct in years, i'd say.
Only thing that was missing was a new Nintendo IP i'd say, but they might be saving that for the Switch 2 reveal direct.

Well, Raven Beak, it was nice while it lasted.
Yup, It seems like he'll be AT'd. Unless Sakurai already decided the roster since Prime 4: Beyond is a 2025 release, in that case he might stll have a chance.

It's to show how an announcement of a new game or a Direct can change the speculation of Smash Bros.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'm extremely excited for this direct. For years people have laughed at us, telling us that we're jumping the gun and that he doesn't even have a personality and that he's lame and dumb and stupid. But no more. The #SyluxSquad had lied in wait this entire time, plotting to undercut those who judge us. Tomorrow will be judgement day, the day Prime 4 is finally exalted to its rightful throne, our glorious enemy of the Galactic Federation rendered in beautiful PS3 level graphics. Those who doubted Sylux will weep. Those who are aware may only nod silently.

I'd recommend stocking up now, because you might not survive what will soon come.
I NEVER FOR A MOMENT LOST FAITH

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I... I was not expecting that to hit as hard as it did. My apologies, Nintendo.
Same here. They really cooked, I hope that Mario Party is the return to form they've gradually been building up to. It's great to see Mario & Luigi (and 2D Zelda) back.

That Prime 4 trailer did not feel real. It's so surreal to finally see it in action.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
No he would presumably be different than in MvC (even though, conceptually, that's not a bad way to integrate Phoenix Wright into a fighting game), but that doesn't really matter, because the point is he's not seen to be a character that's infeasible. So getting some completely different visual novel character won't change much. Because people already think he could work.

Also just because characters share a genre doesn't mean they'd operate in at all the same fashion in Smash. Jigglypuff and Sephiroth come from the same genre. Kazuya and Min Min come from the same genre. Does Olimar give you a good idea of how Illidan Stormrage would be in Smash?
It's easy to say a character can work but we don't know HOW they would work. Just saying they were in a fighting game already is not enough. Using a different visual novel character could give us some ideas of how Phoenix could work in a game like Smash.

Also, there are characters from the same genre that do share some elements. RPG characters (like Cloud, Hero, Joker, and Sora, characters you didn't mention for some reason) all have gauges that either changes or runs out. Fighting game characters (aside Kazuya, Ryu Ken, and Terry, characters you also didn't mention for some reason) are always facing their opponents and have command-input moves. So visual novels could also share some elements and Ayumi could be one that's seen as the basis for others in a way. Whatever elements she would bring from her series, it would be easier see what similar things Phoenix could bring from his own.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Mario & Luigi coming back is something I wasn’t expecting, but I’m glad to see it’s back.

New 2D Zelda, where you play as Zelda is nice.

Mario Party, that’s great. I see where Superstars’ post-launch content went instead.

Metroid Prime 4 actually looks really damn good, almost like it isn’t running on a Switch. It ought to be cross-gen.

These are probably the last few games on the Switch hardware, likely why series like Kirby and Fire Emblem aren’t present in the Direct, as they’d be saved for Switch 2, or whatever it’s called.

I’m not expecting an October Direct. I think that’s just going to be the next hardware being announced.

Then January will probably give us a presentation of major first year heavy hitters. Namely 3D Mario and Animal Crossing are my bets.

Speaking of Mario, it’s his 40th anniversary next year.
And Sylux is going to be speculated a lot now isn't he?
I’m speculating Sylux as a Metroid newcomer as either base or DLC. Leaning more towards DLC, if a new Smash comes out late 2026.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Same here. They really cooked, I hope that Mario Party is the return to form they've gradually been building up to. It's great to see Mario & Luigi (and 2D Zelda) back.
Even though it uses the Super Mario Party name, it looked to me like the boards are set up more like Superstars, plus the return of two old boards to pad out the number, but with Super's huge character roster.

Basically I think Jamboree is doing what I was hoping a new Mario Party would do, from the looks of it.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Yeah the Metroid newcomer debate is definitely going to be a... contentious one lol. Nothing saying both can't get in I suppose, but all those years of building up to Sylux are about to culminate in something that's actually tangible.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That direct was extremely hype for me

Opening with Mario and Luigi? Mind-blowing, genuinely didn't think we'd ever see anything new for this franchise and am curious who the new developers are. Game looks great

New Mario Party looks amazing, my main concern and the motion controls limiting you to joycons again. But otherwise the boards, roster and mini games look amazing.

Stealth drop NSO with Perfect Dark? One step closer to Banjo Tooie and Conker

I'm pretty keen for Donkey Country Returns. Never gave the original a proper go and this definitely seems the definitive way to play. I'm hyped

Holy **** new Zelda? And we play as Zelda!?? I really hope the combat is fun because needing to summon stuff to deal with enemies sounds potentially annoying but the puzzle solving aspect seems great.

Metroid Prime 4 is finally here and it looks stunning. And we have a subtitle! Beyond! I'm curious to see where this story goes

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
MP4 lives! Definitely picking it up as soon as it drops next year.

Also Sylux is finally getting that game they were promised, hopefully they're used well.

I’m speculating Sylux as a Metroid newcomer as either base or DLC. Leaning more towards DLC, if a new Smash comes out late 2026.
Probably DLC if anything, the roster is probably going to be decided this year at the latest (if it hasn't already) and they tend to avoid putting in characters from upcoming games. Sylux as far as we know sits squarely in the same position characters like Rex and Pyra/Mythra did back in base Ultimate, so their best chance is hoping they're popular enough to break through as a DLC choice.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
So now both Turok and Perfect Dark are coming to NSO… pretty cool.

I wonder if they'd add in Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day…

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Oh, I didn’t notice it the first time around. Mario & Luigi: Brothership seemingly has Kevin Afghani as the Bros.’ voice actor. Nintendo are likely transitioning to him as the main voice actor for the four Italian plumbers, eventually.

Meanwhile, it seems as if Super Mario Party: Jamboree is using Charles Martinet’s voice clips. It’s a bit hard to hear as the voice over speaks, so I can’t get a good read on Mario, Luigi, Wario, or Waluigi’s voice lines.

Just thought it was neat to share this info.

Last edited:
Top Bottom