• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
You mean the Nintendo Switch Pro, maybe? :troll:

But yeah, I was mainly asking my initial question to make sure the whole next console was a joke. I did not have much faith in it being true anyway. So yeah, forget what I said.
I knew it was a joke or clickbait the moment they went "Google insert here for more info". Because very often, that is used to bait people into searching something very NSFW.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Good thing I did not look it up.
It also had a funnily spelled username. But I've misread stuff that were troll accounts, so oops.

-----------

Back to the Super Mario movie, I finally saw the first trailer. Yes, I saw it later.

Huh. Well, I wouldn't expect Mario to sound completely bright and happy before his training is over. He's understandably freaked out, since this is a movie where he's in training in general. It's a long one. It looks like it'll be more of a case of character development. Whether the voice will change a bit is another story. I do like Toad a looooooot. He sounds great, as he isn't just high-shrilled bar a few moments(and nowhere near that shrilled even during the trailers to the point of legit hurting my ears). Which is also good, cause I could never stand that voice for that long. Short dialogue bursts work, but... not constant dialogue.

It also helps that he's still as funny as ever. Though the completely different voices do feel weird for Toad(but still dulled down the high-pitched voice enough for it to be far easier to listen to). Seems like they're going a bit more with his Super Mario Bros. Super Show personality too. He's a bit cowardly, but still an adventurer at heart(and being he debuted in Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, that makes sense). The rest of the Toad race are also far more cowardly, which is accurate. Of the small bits I heard, they did lower their voices a tad so they aren't too shrilled. Phew. When I see this is theaters, it's going to be very loud. I have sensitive ears. High-thrilled voices are not good in theaters for everyone.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
One more thing about the Splatoon 3 thing, I deleted the tweet I posted last page due to it being NSFW material. If anyone quoted my post with the same tweet, I would like to ask for those who did to get rid of it, so no new person here or lurking here will get the wrong idea.

Now, back to the Mario movie. What do you guys think of the second trailer overall?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
One more thing about the Splatoon 3 thing, I deleted the tweet I posted last page due to it being NSFW material. If anyone quoted my post with the same tweet, I would like to ask for those who did to get rid of it, so no new person here or lurking here will get the wrong idea.

Now, back to the Mario movie. What do you guys think of the second trailer overall?
The only bad part about it is all the people complaining about how they made Peach a girlboss, even though she's had PLENTY of moments where she has held her own, both in the games and other materials.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Second trailer was even better than the first. More characters seen, a better understanding of Mario's own situation, Bowser using magic in general(something the games don't emphasize enough anymore), Peach being an action girl(which is not even uncommon and more overall Mario games in general have her do something. Sure, it's just basically sports and kart, but she's very active as well).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I hope Peach isn't too much on an action girl, western writers dont really know how to write those nowadays.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I hope Peach isn't too much on an action girl, western writers dont really know how to write those nowadays.
I mean, aren't Nintendo pretty closely involved in the movie's production? I'm sure they'll make it work.
I don't think Peach would've been an action girl if Miyamoto didn't want her to be one. He is the one who often follows what he wants than follow what's the trend.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I feel like Peach in the Mario Movie is going to be pretty interesting, and execution wise she’s easily the thing I’m most interested in seeing, considering her and Luigi effectively swapped places. It’s the part I’m most interested in, even if Jack Blacj is stealing the show by default. Can’t wait to lose $800 y’all!

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Just a random "I hate how they nerfed Cloud" rant.

His bent/limp arm animation for his nerfed NAIR is so awful. Why did they do that to him? Did the nerf actually need a disgustingly horrendous reanimation to accompany it and did Sakurai really look at it and think to himself that it was appropriate and great? If I was Square I'd call him directly and tell him how much I don't appreciate having my intellectual property being represented in such a poor way as to make Cloud Strife, a supersolider, seem so weak as to be barely be able to rotate his blade for a full revolution without tiring his arm.

The move itself, while obviously needing a sizable nerf, was still overturned especially when you look at Pythra's NAIR as a comparison. Some of the move seems like false advertising to me. I'm not sure if it's a hitbox or hurtbox thing (pretty sure it's the hitbox tho) but if you have one of the Minecrafters on the field and you short-hop NAIR standing right next to them, you'll see a decent chunk of the tip of green blade swing go right through their head without damaging them whatsoever.

Cloud's NAIR is by no means a bad move and still has plenty of use even in its pitiful state but damn did they overdo it.

More importantly than all of that I still don't understand why they had to nerf his grab across the board too... Was that a major problem or something in Smash 4? Are sword users not allowed to have good grabs? If so somebody really should have reminded Sakurai and team of this when they were making Pythra. He doesn't even get anything off his grabs really so it's just so stupid how they felt they had to nerf it into complete utter **** to the point where it's basically not advised to throw it out too often other than to call out shield.

The Smash balance team have clearly demonstrated time and time again that they don't know what they're doing and no I don't buy into the idea that this game is super well-balanced at a competitive level. Everybody is most certainly not viable at the tournament level and while Ultimate is the most balanced Smash game yet that's really not saying all that much.

That being said the Cloud buffs we did get were warranted and did a lot to help him. At least he never got nerfed again during Ultimate because that would have just been catastrophic for him. It's bad for me to even belly-ache like this because Bayonetta is a shell of her former self while at least Cloud retains the majority of what made him good in the first place on top of benefitting from Ultimate's engine. Plus I think his FAIR get buffed from 4 to Ultimate? I love his FAIR so that's good at least...

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Just a random "I hate how they nerfed Cloud" rant.

His bent/limp arm animation for his nerfed NAIR is so awful. Why did they do that to him? Did the nerf actually need a disgustingly horrendous reanimation to accompany it and did Sakurai really look at it and think to himself that it was appropriate and great? If I was Square I'd call him directly and tell him how much I don't appreciate having my intellectual property being represented in such a poor way as to make Cloud Strife, a supersolider, seem so weak as to be barely be able to rotate his blade for a full revolution without tiring his arm.

The move itself, while obviously needing a sizable nerf, was still overturned especially when you look at Pythra's NAIR as a comparison. Some of the move seems like false advertising to me. I'm not sure if it's a hitbox or hurtbox thing (pretty sure it's the hitbox tho) but if you have one of the Minecrafters on the field and you short-hop NAIR standing right next to them, you'll see a decent chunk of the tip of green blade swing go right through their head without damaging them whatsoever.

Cloud's NAIR is by no means a bad move and still has plenty of use even in its pitiful state but damn did they overdo it.

More importantly than all of that I still don't understand why they had to nerf his grab across the board too... Was that a major problem or something in Smash 4? Are sword users not allowed to have good grabs? If so somebody really should have reminded Sakurai and team of this when they were making Pythra. He doesn't even get anything off his grabs really so it's just so stupid how they felt they had to nerf it into complete utter **** to the point where it's basically not advised to throw it out too often other than to call out shield.

The Smash balance team have clearly demonstrated time and time again that they don't know what they're doing and no I don't buy into the idea that this game is super well-balanced at a competitive level. Everybody is most certainly not viable at the tournament level and while Ultimate is the most balanced Smash game yet that's really not saying all that much.

That being said the Cloud buffs we did get were warranted and did a lot to help him. At least he never got nerfed again during Ultimate because that would have just been catastrophic for him. It's bad for me to even belly-ache like this because Bayonetta is a shell of her former self while at least Cloud retains the majority of what made him good in the first place on top of benefitting from Ultimate's engine. Plus I think his FAIR get buffed from 4 to Ultimate? I love his FAIR so that's good at least...
Cloud is still a solid character. He's my highest GSP character and I use the whole roster. He has the best out of shield. He can cross up with down tilt right after his fair which is already impossible to punish. And if I remember correctly his limit blade beam goes through all projectiles but the item ones that can be caught.

Edit: And he was my highest gsp character before the buffs too

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It'll be interesting to see how the Mario movie affects Smash 6. Will having a prominent role in the film give Toad (Captain or otherwise) an upper hand over other potential Mario newcomers? Will Dixie Kong reach frontrunner status if her appearing in the DK poster signals her having more than just a cameo? Would she and Diddy have half their alts inspired by their new outfits from the movie?

Could come down to timing. Especially since we don't know what Sakurai's current project is. His Youtube channel isn't monetized, so he must be developing something...and Ultimate came out less than three years after Smash 4's DLC wrapped up.

It's entirely possible we could be looking at an announcement a little over a year from now with a launch window of Holiday 2024. That'd actually be a few months more than the gap from Smash 4 to Ultimate.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It'll be interesting to see how the Mario movie affects Smash 6. Will having a prominent role in the film give Toad (Captain or otherwise) an upper hand over other potential Mario newcomers? Will Dixie Kong reach frontrunner status if her appearing in the DK poster signals her having more than just a cameo? Would she and Diddy have half their alts inspired by their new outfits from the movie?

Could come down to timing. Especially since we don't know what Sakurai's current project is. His Youtube channel isn't monetized, so he must be developing something...and Ultimate came out less than three years after Smash 4's DLC wrapped up.

It's entirely possible we could be looking at an announcement a little over a year from now with a launch window of Holiday 2024. That'd actually be a few months more than the gap from Smash 4 to Ultimate.
I’m of the opinion that movies and shows could go a long way in helping a character’s chances in Smash, especially if they are well received. The increased exposure to these characters would definitely make a lot of more recognizable to the general public. While Mario and Sonic are as iconic as it gets in games, I feel like the movies only help them even more, especially if they’re received well. If Toad is a popular character in the movie, I feel that would bring him to the forefront of potential newcomers. I feel the same way right now about Dr. Robotnik. Almost everyone loved Jim Carey’s portrayal so I think he’d be a very popular choice as well (obviously voiced by his in game actor but still).

On a related note, I feel that Arcane probably went a long way in increasing our chances to see a character from League of Legends. Likely a character with a major role in the show like Jinx or Vi.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m of the opinion that movies and shows could go a long way in helping a character’s chances in Smash, especially if they are well received. The increased exposure to these characters would definitely make a lot of more recognizable to the general public. While Mario and Sonic are as iconic as it gets in games, I feel like the movies only help them even more, especially if they’re received well. If Toad is a popular character in the movie, I feel that would bring him to the forefront of potential newcomers. I feel the same way right now about Dr. Robotnik. Almost everyone loved Jim Carey’s portrayal so I think he’d be a very popular choice as well (obviously voiced by his in game actor but still).

On a related note, I feel that Arcane probably went a long way in increasing our chances to see a character from League of Legends. Likely a character with a major role in the show like Jinx or Vi.
You say that as if Eggman's game voice can't be funny:

(I was hoping to find the Grammy joke, but Youtube failed me...)

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
(obviously voiced by his in game actor but still)
Man, if Long John Baldry was still alive, he would be the perfect choice to voice Robotnik in an animated adaptation of Fleetway's Sonic the Comic (since later in the comic's run, he uses the AoStH design) That and the other characters having british VAs.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Does anybody else besides me still watch the Super Mario Bros. 3 cartoon? I still find it fun to watch to this day.
You are not the only one. I like all three Mario cartoons.
And without a doubt, i can say that Dirk Drain-Head from the Valiant's Mario comics should at least make a cameo appearance in the form of a comic book.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't think the Mario movie is going to affect Smash at all unless it affects the Mario games first.

I do think the DK attention is in tandem with Nintendo gearing up to push the IP back into action, between the movie, theme park and upcoming game. And that could re-center Dixie as a very strong contender for the next Smash if she has a prominent role in the future of the series.

I guess the biggest direct effect the movie could have is if when Sakurai sees it, he reconsiders Toad's fighting feasibility. But that's a big if.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Does anybody else besides me still watch the Super Mario Bros. 3 cartoon? I still find it fun to watch to this day.
I loved them as a kid and I would definitely rewatch them to show them to someone who hasn’t seen them before but I don’t tend to rewatch shows on my own.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Who's more possible to make at least a cameo appearance in the Mario movie: Geno or Oogtar? (I'm an Oogtar apologist, don't blame my **** taste)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Who's more possible to make at least a cameo appearance in the Mario movie: Geno or Oogtar? (I'm an Oogtar apologist, don't blame my **** taste)
I probably shouldn't give you false hope, and I apologise if I do, but I think it'll depend on whether or not Nintendo wants to use the movie as an opportunity to try and make the extended Mario franchise more connected. Sonic is going through something similar ATM, with Ian Flynn semi-confirming (I say "semi" because he just said he "wouldn't argue against it") that the IDW comics are canon to the games, and Sonic Frontiers casually revealing that Sticks the Badger is canon to the games now. Takeshi Iizuka apparently wants all Sonic-related stuff to be more connected to each other, even having a dedicated lore team formed to help make sense of it all. Now I won't try to imply Nintendo will do something similar for Mario (they don't care NEARLY as much about lore as Sega does), but from what we've seen, the movie makes a bunch of references to SEVERAL pieces of Mario media: the Kongs, Peach's personality, and apparently the Mario Bros even use the same van from the live-action film. It's just... something I've been thinking about, I guess.

Oh, and to answer your question, unironically Oogtar by virtue of actually being owned by Nintendo, though to put it bluntly, he's not very likely to appear as is...

Aligo

Smash Ace
you say quitter, i say realist
To be fair both villager and Ridley were able to be made playable, when previously massive hero soccer guy decided against them, multiple times in the case of Ridley.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair both villager and Ridley were able to be made playable, when previously massive hero soccer guy decided against them, multiple times in the case of Ridley.
there's a difference. villager was considered ill suited, ridley too big, toad hasn't even been acknowledged. we have no reason to think he's ever been considered

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

From all characters in the Mario movie not in Smash yet, I see Cranky Kong as the number one frontrunner. Toad maybe next. But it's all timing.

I do expect a major overhaul of DK this next Smash however.

One thing I do know: this Mario movie and perhaps DK movie afterwards is gonna affect Smash and the Mario and DK franchises big time. Mario already attempted his Smash Forward Air on DK for example, and DK's running aggressively towards Mario that same scene seemed to come straight from the K.Rool reveal trailer.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

By this same token, I think the Sonic movies being a success really helps the chances of an additional Sonic character. From what I understand, the movies really gave the franchise a shot in the arm in terms of Japanese popularity, which felt like the biggest factor holding a second Sonic character back post-Sephiroth. I think either Tails or Knuckles would work given that they're both featured so prominently in the second movie, although I think Tails has the slight edge because he's effectively Sonic's Luigi and he seems to get priority in the games themselves

There's also Shadow popping up in the after-credits scene, so he'll likely be a major player in the third movie. That alone might make him win out over Tails and Knuckles. Plus, he's one of the more obvious options for another echo fighter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom