• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest, I also think people really overstate how "complicated" Ryu is. Everything "complex" about him has been in Smash either since Melee or since the original game on the N64, just in different forms.

The first and less complicated of the two is the tap vs hold system on his normals, where the strength of the move, or the move itself in the case of forward tilt, is different depending on whether you tap the attack button or hold it. Not only is this intuitive and not at all complex, but Samus has literally had a system like this since Melee with her Missile special, having different projectiles depending on if you tapped or smashed the special button. It's used on more moves for Ryu, yes, but that does not inherently make it more complex.

However, the biggest complaint is usually reserved for the motion inputs for his specials. Namely, the Hadoken, Shakunetsu Hadoken, Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, and the Shoryuken. I could go on about how a quarter circle forward, half circle forward, and half circle backward are among the easiest inputs imaginable, or how the Shoryuken input is easy with just a little bit of practice, but fundamentally? The idea of motion inputs giving you a different special has literally existed since Smash 64, and people just seem to ignore this.

PK Thunder literally requires a motion input in order to have you recover, a basic character function that's vital to Ness and Lucas as fighters.

Like, I'll reiterate. You can still use Shoryuken to recover without a special input. It's just a weaker variant. You cannot recover with Ness or Lucas without a motion input special move (well okay, Lucas Specifically also has the Rope Snake tether, but still). So why is it that Ryu gets deemed as "too complex" while Ness doesn't, especially when the motion inputs are arguably more vital for the latter?

Like I'll be real, complaints about characters being too complicated kind of lose some merit in my eyes when the complaints are directed toward the likes of Ryu, Villager, Isabelle, or Min Min. The only characters that are significantly more complicated than average are like...the Ice Climbers (for desynching), Rosalina & Luma (by virtue of being a puppeteer fighter), Shulk (due to stat based stance changing), maybe Bayonetta (with the Bat Within stuff alongside her very specific recovery plan), Inkling (paint application modifiers), Hero (competing at an international event essentially requires knowing all of the spell names in all available languages lmao), Steve (since you basically have to play a whole different game), and Kazuya (easily the most complex of the fighting game character crew and it's not even close, just due to the sheer amount of moves).

That's like, 8/89 characters. Y'all will live lmao.
Samus' missiles since Melee to this very day didn't hinge on how hard you hit the B button. How the move chose between basic homing Missiles and the Super Missiles was dependant on how you used the analog stick. It was exactly like the way you performed a tilt or a Smash Attack.

The rest of what you said was straight facts and a good read.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Samus' missiles since Melee to this very day didn't hinge on how hard you hit the B button. How the move chose between basic homing Missiles and the Super Missiles was dependant on how you used the analog stick. It was exactly like the way you performed a tilt or a Smash Attack.

regular missiles not homing

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is weird for me. She is one of my most wanted first party characters, but only if it’s specifically her original Hyrule Warriors incarnation. I thought she was so awesome in that game but I honestly never really cared much about the character beyond her portrayal in that game. She had a fun moveset in Age of Calamity as well but her design and personality never really clicked with me to nearly the same degree as Hyrule Warriors.

I personally prefer that style of character and I feel like Smash is a bit lacking in characters like that. That’s why im still a bit disappointed that they changed Zelda in Ultimate. I don’t have anything against her new cheery personality, but I feel like she stands out a bit less compared to Peach and Daisy now. Zelda was also my favorite character in Brawl because I love her Twilight Princess incarnation.
I think they went for the personality of Impa in Age of Calamity because her granddaughter Paya was reasonably popular in BotW. Also, cutesy female characters are more popular in Japan than the typical stoic personality Impa had in Ocarina, Skyward Sword and the first Hyrule Warriors.

I prefer the stoic personality too, but the moveset in Age of Calamity won me over. It's very effective and would be highly unique in Smash, also it's the most popular version of Impa ever so I'll rally behind that, as it's easier to gain support for an already popular character.

Luke Starkiller

Smash Cadet
Regardless of whatever the next Smash Bros game turns out to be, I'm just interested to see what new features they could potentially add to make the new game different from Ultimate. As for character speculation, I have no idea what new characters could appear, but here are some of my general thoughts as to who could be likely newcomers for Smash Bros Six. There are also some wildcard picks which I've thought about as well.

First-Party Character Predictions:
1: New Mario Rep, (Waluigi, Captain Toad, Paper Mario, Pauline)
2: New Kirby Rep, (Bandana Waddle Dee)
3: New Zelda Rep, (Impa, Skull Kid)
4: New Donkey Kong Rep, (Dixie Kong, Funky Kong)
5: New Metroid Rep, (Sylux)
6: New Pokemon Rep, (Not sure which one, Would be fine with any)
7: New Fire Emblem Rep, (Not sure who it could be)
8: New Splatoon Rep, (Octolings, Male and Female Skins)
9 New Arms Rep, (Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara)
10: New Xenoblade Rep, (Noah, Mio)
11: Ring Fit Trainee, (Male and Female Skins)
12: Astral Chain, (The Player Character, Male and Female Skins)
13: A retro character from the 80s.
14: A popular character from a defunct Nintendo series, (Issac or Geno, Tough choice)
15: A fourth Mii fighter class, (Mage based on Miitopia)

Third-Party Character Predictions:
1: A Ubisoft Rep, (Rayman, Altair, Rabbids, Jack Carver, Prince of Persia)
2: A Activision Rep, (Tracer, Crash, Spyro, Jim Raynor, Sarah Kerrigan, Artanis, Warcraft Character)
3: A Bethesda Rep, (Doomguy, Nerevarine, Dragonborn, Vault Boy)
4: A Koei Tecmo Rep, (Ryu Hayabusa, Atelier Character, William: Nioh, Samurai Warriors Character)
5: A new Xbox Rep, (Master Chief, Arbiter, Marcus Fenix, Conker)
6: A NetherRealm Studios Rep, (Scorpion, Sub-Zero)
7: A Electronic Arts Rep, (Commander Shepard, Dragon Age Character, Issac Clarke)
8: A 2K Games Rep, (Serious Sam, Claptrap, Big Daddy)
9: A Naughty Dog Games Rep, (Jak and Daxter, Nathan Drake, Ellie)
10: A Insomanic Games Rep, (Ratchet and Clank, Nathan Hale)
11: A Rockstar Games Rep, (Arthur Morgan, Carl 'CJ' Johnson)
12: A Valve Games Rep, (Gordon Freeman, Chell, Heavy Weapons Guy)
13: A new Sony Rep, (Kratos, Aloy, Max Payne, Fat Princess, Sackboy, Sly Cooper, Spike, Sweet Tooth, PaRappa)
14: A new Sonic Rep, (Tails, Shadow, Amy, Metal Sonic, Dr Eggman, Avatar)
15: A new Konami Rep, (Goemon, Bomberman, Raiden, Gray Fox, Alucard)
16: A new Sega Rep, (NIGHTS, AiAi, Axel Stone, Ryo Hazuki, Alex Kidd)
17: A new Capcom Rep, (Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Dr Wily, Megaman X, Protoman, Dante, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright)
18: A new Bandai Namco Rep, (Miss Pacman, Agumon, Klonoa, Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, Heihachi)
19: A new Square Enix Rep, (Noctis, Lightning, Kain, Raziel, Agent 47, 2B, Lara Croft)

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
[This is a joke post, so don't talk to me]
"Fourth-Party" Non-Video Game Character Predictions (all with ties with Nintendo only, so no Ducktales (Capcom) or TMNT (Konami)):
  • Kevin Keene/Captain N
  • Nester (+ Howard Lincoln on his victory screens)
  • Inspector Gadget
  • The Minions
  • Popeye the Sailor Man
  • Snoopy and Woodstock (Charlie Brown will appear in a taunt)
  • Kamen Rider 01 (There were an N&B Blocks set based on the show)
  • Hamtaro

Quillion

Smash Hero

It would be cool if in my hypothetical Super Special system, regular missiles are the B special and Super Missiles are the super version.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It would be cool if we stopped using either these stupid missiles and jumped to ice missiles exclusively considering that's the norm for Samus for a couple games now. Also introduces the ice which is kinda the most plot relevant element in Metroid.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It would be cool if we stopped using either these stupid missiles and jumped to ice missiles exclusively considering that's the norm for Samus for a couple games now. Also introduces the ice which is kinda the most plot relevant element in Metroid.
I’d love more ice elemental attacks in general. The ice missiles were really fun in Metroid Dread so I’d love to see them implemented in Samus’ Smash moveset. We could also use some more purely ice based characters beyond just the Ice Climbers. Sub-Zero, The Lich King, Weavile, or Glacius would all be awesome to see.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’d love more ice elemental attacks in general. The ice missiles were really fun in Metroid Dread so I’d love to see them implemented in Samus’ Smash moveset. We could also use some more purely ice based characters beyond just the Ice Climbers. Sub-Zero, The Lich King, Weavile, or Glacius would all be awesome to see.
or eiscue

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think its Pretty Likely we might get a Undertale/ Deltarune Rep in the Next Smash!
But i dont want it to be Sans! Genocide Sans (The Popular version with the blue eyes and the bad time and stuff) is so Boring and while thats definitly Intentional it would be a shame for a Undertale Rep To Represent only the Worst Route in the Game!
I much rather see the Human or The Fun Gang (Kris, Susie and Ralsei)! Heck Throw in Flowey as the Villain Rep and you have a Good [3 in 1 Deal]!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think its Pretty Likely we might get a Undertale/ Deltarune Rep in the Next Smash!
But i dont want it to be Sans! Genocide Sans (The Popular version with the blue eyes and the bad time and stuff) is so Boring and while thats definitly Intentional it would be a shame for a Undertale Rep To Represent only the Worst Route in the Game!
I much rather see the Human or The Fun Gang (Kris, Susie and Ralsei)! Heck Throw in Flowey as the Villain Rep and you have a Good [3 in 1 Deal]!
Preferring a different Undertale or Deltarune character is one thing, but I fail to see how Sans would be boring.

Based on how he's portrayed in Undertale, he would be a high-risk, high-reward speedy zoner who combines the more traditional teleportation and telekinetic powers with his own brand of osteokinesis and a damage over time mechanic, ultimately compensating for his incredibly low survivability. He's a character of extremes. He'll pressure you with a peppering of projectiles and accrue massive amounts of damage on you, but if he makes a single mistake and lets you get too close, he's done for.

Just being able to bring more Damage Over Time moves to the table is arguably enough to set him apart, given just how rare those kinds of moves are on the roster. Olimar's Pikmin Throw, one ninth of Mr. Game & Watch's Judge, Sephiroth's Shadowflare, and Piranha Plant's Poison Breath (and even this one doesn't even really count since it's a stationary rapid hitbox and not a true DoT move) are pretty much the only ones here. And to address the elephant in the room, two of those four are among the most speculated characters to not come back, so that would make these moves even more rare.

So from a purely mechanical standpoint, I genuinely don't see how Sans, of all characters, would be "boring." He'd be a fast-paced frenetic glass cannon zoner, opting for a more offensive-based playstyle than a lot of the more defensive zoners. He'd be fun.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Preferring a different Undertale or Deltarune character is one thing, but I fail to see how Sans would be boring.

Based on how he's portrayed in Undertale, he would be a high-risk, high-reward speedy zoner who combines the more traditional teleportation and telekinetic powers with his own brand of osteokinesis and a damage over time mechanic, ultimately compensating for his incredibly low survivability. He's a character of extremes. He'll pressure you with a peppering of projectiles and accrue massive amounts of damage on you, but if he makes a single mistake and lets you get too close, he's done for.

Just being able to bring more Damage Over Time moves to the table is arguably enough to set him apart, given just how rare those kinds of moves are on the roster. Olimar's Pikmin Throw, one ninth of Mr. Game & Watch's Judge, Sephiroth's Shadowflare, and Piranha Plant's Poison Breath (and even this one doesn't even really count since it's a stationary rapid hitbox and not a true DoT move) are pretty much the only ones here. And to address the elephant in the room, two of those four are among the most speculated characters to not come back, so that would make these moves even more rare.

So from a purely mechanical standpoint, I genuinely don't see how Sans, of all characters, would be "boring." He'd be a fast-paced frenetic glass cannon zoner, opting for a more offensive-based playstyle than a lot of the more defensive zoners. He'd be fun.
boring is subjective. just cause you think he's fun doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to think that

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

There is also Joker's Eiha.
Eho?
Heehoo?
I don't know how to spell it but his side b.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Think of this: A Mokujin-like O.C. robot for Smash that has the powers of many characters that didn't originate in a video game. His moveset is reminiscent to the Battletoads or Mortal Kombat's Shang Tsun, where they shapeshift parts of their body into those characters, or summoning magic or weapons. Make the attacks RNG and be voiced by Hatsune Miku.
Anyone hates the idea!?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Think of this: A Mokujin-like O.C. robot for Smash that has the powers of many characters that didn't originate in a video game. His moveset is reminiscent to the Battletoads or Mortal Kombat's Shang Tsun, where they shapeshift parts of their body into those characters, or summoning magic or weapons. Make the attacks RNG and be voiced by Hatsune Miku.
Anyone hates the idea!?
Okay, great! DarthEnderX and I finally agree on something!

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You worded it in such a way that made it seem like it. You made it sound like it would be impossible for him to be boring
First of all, he didn't. "I genuinely don't see how..." literally begins in a subjective qualifier.
Second of all, of it's rather strange that you're attacking him for this considering the person being responded to makes several similar statements of the opposite perspective "Genocide Sans is so Boring-." Besides, neither needed to be called out because they were both clearly subjective and didn't require a qualifier to begin with because the subjectivity was obvious.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill, misrepresenting the molehill, and then getting stuck on only one of the molehills.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
First of all, he didn't. "I genuinely don't see how..." literally begins in a subjective qualifier.
Second of all, of it's rather strange that you're attacking him for this considering the person being responded to makes several similar statements of the opposite perspective "Genocide Sans is so Boring-." Besides, neither needed to be called out because they were both clearly subjective and didn't require a qualifier to begin with because the subjectivity was obvious.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill, misrepresenting the molehill, and then getting stuck on only one of the molehills.
Who said anything about attacking them? I was just disagreeing and pointing out how his wording sounded. Since when is that an attack?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Who said anything about attacking them? I was just disagreeing and pointing out how his wording sounded. Since when is that an attack?
Fog. I'm going to be real with you.

A lot of what you say comes off as super mean. I don't know if you intend to come off that way but in an internet space where body language and tone doesn't exist, you gotta be careful with your language.

Something needs to change, man.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fog. I'm going to be real with you.

A lot of what you say comes off as super mean. I don't know if you intend to come off that way but in an internet space where body language and tone doesn't exist, you gotta be careful with your language.

Something needs to change, man.
and a lot of what they said came across a super mean. i was simply trying to defend a person's right to say a character would be boring

I was doing what you’re doing now, trying to tell someone not to mean. And I made a mistake

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
fogbadge fogbadge you may have misinterpreted it, but in my understanding Opossum Opossum 's post was framed as "I don't see how Sans would be boring," and came with an explanation of how Sans could work in Smash. I don't think it was out of line.

--

In general, while people may hold the opinion, "this character would be boring" arguments are usually difficult to make convincingly. It's just very hard to put an objective angle to it except in extreme cases and, on top of that, basically all video game characters are created with the intention of them being interesting in some way. If a character becomes notable to any reasonable degree, then that intention probably succeeded to an equally reasonable extent. "Not boring" is just an incredibly low bar to clear for most decently notable video game characters.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
fogbadge fogbadge you may have misinterpreted it, but in my understanding Opossum Opossum 's post was framed as "I don't see how Sans would be boring," and came with an explanation of how Sans could work in Smash. I don't think it was out of line.

--

In general, while people may hold the opinion, "this character would be boring" arguments are usually difficult to make convincingly. It's just very hard to put an objective angle to it except in extreme cases and, on top of that, basically all video game characters are created with the intention of them being interesting in some way. If a character becomes notable to any reasonable degree, then that intention probably succeeded to an equally reasonable extent. "Not boring" is just an incredibly low bar to clear for most decently notable video game characters.
Yeah, that’s one reason why I personally try to avoid making statements like “this character would be boring”, even if I personally feel that way. Instead, I think it’s probably better to phrase it in a way explains why you’re not personally interested in the character while still trying to be respectful and not putting down any fans that might want them. I always do what I can but even I can make mistakes and phrase things poorly and it can be hard to convey things properly through the internet sometimes. It helps to take a minute before posting anything and try imagine how others might interpret what you are saying, even if it wasn’t your intent to come off as confrontational.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
"Boring" is subjective. I mean people complain that moveset wise, Banjo lacks flair but he's one of the most celebrated characters in Ultimate. I myself find Ridley, Mega Man and Sonic boring, but again, probably the most popular picks out there (before they got in at least).

That description of Opossum about Sans doesn't sound boring though, but as someone who isn't familiar with Undertale I wouldn't care much about his addition. Hence could be interpreted as "boring" but that's, well a way too easy description.

I however am always slightly amazed at how defensive this thread can get over opinions of a game that's not even confirmed to be in development. Maybe the fingers don't need to be pointed but a little self reflection would need to be in order for some of you. No offense , but some of you have been around for more cycles and know how intense the "real deal" gets. So no need to get all icky in this pre speculation period I'd think ?

I mean outside of cuts , what is really to fear? We're all gonna get some newcomers we like, and some we don't, not much to do about it. Just voice whatever character you feel some type of way about, and just have fun.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master

Maybe Boring isnt the Right Word its jaust that i VASTLY Prefer Flowey, and the Protagonists!
Also dont get so worked up about that guys! I Still like Sans i just think most of his Appeal Gets Lost when turned into a Smash Char!
And Also he makes perfect s(a)nse as a Mii Costume!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe Boring isnt the Right Word its jaust that i VASTLY Prefer Flowey, and the Protagonists!
Also dont get so worked up about that guys! I Still like Sans i just think most of his Appeal Gets Lost when turned into a Smash Char!
I totally get that lol. When it comes to personal preference, there are also definitely some I'd take over Sans as well. Namely Papyrus, Undyne, and Mettaton for me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
"Boring" is subjective. I mean people complain that moveset wise, Banjo lacks flair but he's one of the most celebrated characters in Ultimate. I myself find Ridley, Mega Man and Sonic boring, but again, probably the most popular picks out there (before they got in at least).

That description of Opossum about Sans doesn't sound boring though, but as someone who isn't familiar with Undertale I wouldn't care much about his addition. Hence could be interpreted as "boring" but that's, well a way too easy description.

I however am always slightly amazed at how defensive this thread can get over opinions of a game that's not even confirmed to be in development. Maybe the fingers don't need to be pointed but a little self reflection would need to be in order for some of you. No offense , but some of you have been around for more cycles and know how intense the "real deal" gets. So no need to get all icky in this pre speculation period I'd think ?

I mean outside of cuts , what is really to fear? We're all gonna get some newcomers we like, and some we don't, not much to do about it. Just voice whatever character you feel some type of way about, and just have fun.
I’m personally not really offended at anything. I do wish this place could chill out and have a bit more fun sometimes. I just want to talk about fun ideas for Smash characters but too often it seems like everyone is at each other’s throats. I even got my share of hate for sharing my thoughts on some of my favorite characters (perhaps a bit too often for some people’s liking). That’s a big reason why I haven’t been posting nearly as often lately.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I’m personally not really offended at anything. I do wish this place could chill out and have a bit more fun sometimes. I just want to talk about fun ideas for Smash characters but too often it seems like everyone is at each other’s throats. I even got my share of hate for sharing my thoughts on some of my favorite characters (perhaps a bit too often for some people’s liking). That’s a big reason why I haven’t been posting nearly as often lately.
Honestly I've seen your suggestions about Battle toads and am honestly more than willing to hear how you'd envision Gengar in Smash. I mean, those are your most wanted right?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly I've seen your suggestions about Battle toads and am honestly more than willing to hear how you'd envision Gengar in Smash. I mean, those are your most wanted right?
Gengar is pretty high up there but I think my top three are the Battletoads, Magus (Chrono Trigger), and Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy). Zegram has absolutely no chance whatsoever though being a secondary character from a Sony owned PS2 exclusive JRPG. I’ve also made support threads for Illidan (WarCraft) and Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft) and a full moveset for Bill Rizer (Contra) but I’d love to make one for Gengar at some point if support threads are ever a thing again.

I actually came up with a moveset for Gengar a few months ago that I was going to share but I got sidetracked with tons of other things and I never wrote it down. I remember parts of it that I’ll try to flesh out again and share at some point in the future.

There’s honestly quite a few characters I’d be really excited to see in Smash, they just don’t really seem to line up with the characters the general Smash community is interested in, which is fine. I’m okay with pretty much anything and I understand that it’s more important to please the largest number of fans rather than cater to my personal tastes. I do still like talking about my favorites and sharing my ideas even if I don’t necessarily expect them to actually make it in.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Look on the bright side: it's almost September. Instead of being at each other's throats over Smash opinions, we'll be at each other's throats over when the Direct will be.

Granted, I kimda liked interacting with you on certain Smash topics, but if you'd rather not I'd understand...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Look on the bright side: it's almost September. Instead of being at each other's throats over Smash opinions, we'll be at each other's throats over when the Direct will be.

Granted, I kimda liked interacting with you on certain Smash topics, but if you'd rather not I'd understand...
Thanks, I still enjoy posting every once in a while but I feel like being on here as much as I was before was stressing me out and probably wasn’t good for my health. I’ve always had problems socializing with people and have a few conditions that make handling my emotions a bit difficult at times so it’s hard to deal with sometimes. I decided that it’s better to just take a break if it ever starts becoming stressful. I do still enjoy talking about Smash so I’ll always be around at some level.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well since we're talking about it.

How do you guys feel about Undertale getting a character in Smash in general?

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I’m okay with it. I’ve never played Undertale and the aesthetic isn’t exactly my personal taste but I know a lot of people really like it so I’m willing to give it a chance. I do love Megalovania.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'm going out on a limb and saying that, as far as third party franchises are concerned, it's absolutely one of the most likely franchises to get a character next time around. It's quite possibly one of the biggest indie success stories in the industry, it's incredibly popular both in the west and in Japan, Deltarune's popularity has shown that the original wasn't just a flash in the pan, Toby's very easy to work with even if Sakurai doesn't come back, and Sans himself was acknowledged by Sakurai as a popular fan request. The Sans Mii costume announcement made more waves than the presentation for Banjo that contained it, and arguably even overshadowed Terry's own reveal.

To put it into perspective, I haven't felt this good about the chances of a third party character since Mega Man back in the pre-Smash 4 era.

Laniv

Smash Lord

Not too sure on its chances, but I really do want it to happen. I'd be cool with Sans, Papyrus, Frisk, Undyne, or even a less-talked about choice like Toriel or Mettaton or even Alphys.

I will say this, though: if Undertale gets any substantial representation, Sans is gonna be an Assist Trophy at the least.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, that’s one reason why I personally try to avoid making statements like “this character would be boring”, even if I personally feel that way. Instead, I think it’s probably better to phrase it in a way explains why you’re not personally interested in the character while still trying to be respectful and not putting down any fans that might want them. I always do what I can but even I can make mistakes and phrase things poorly and it can be hard to convey things properly through the internet sometimes. It helps to take a minute before posting anything and try imagine how others might interpret what you are saying, even if it wasn’t your intent to come off as confrontational.
I know that feeling far to feel. Everyone always seems to think I’m trying to cause trouble but that’s never the case. Most of the time I expect to get ignored. Communication isn’t easy and no matter how much or hard you try mistakes are inevitable

Indifferent really. Having never played undertale I can’t really get enthusiastic about it. And I’m unlikely to play it as at this point I think the whole world might have hyped it up to much. Still I am open to the idea he might have an interesting moveset

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm going out on a limb and saying that, as far as third party franchises are concerned, it's absolutely one of the most likely franchises to get a character next time around. It's quite possibly one of the biggest indie success stories in the industry, it's incredibly popular both in the west and in Japan, Deltarune's popularity has shown that the original wasn't just a flash in the pan, Toby's very easy to work with even if Sakurai doesn't come back, and Sans himself was acknowledged by Sakurai as a popular fan request. The Sans Mii costume announcement made more waves than the presentation for Banjo that contained it, and arguably even overshadowed Terry's own reveal.

To put it into perspective, I haven't felt this good about the chances of a third party character since Mega Man back in the pre-Smash 4 era.
Yeah, I feel like Undertale has a really good chance to see a newcomer in the next game as well. Getting a deluxe Mii with a song is a pretty big deal. I feel like Toby Fox’s relationship with Nintendo since then has only helped its chances. Still, there’s a lot of competition for potential third party characters so I wouldn’t say it’s a sure thing.

Other third party characters I feel have a really strong chance to join Smash include:

Zero (Mega Man X)
Dr. Eggman (Sonic)
Ryu Hyabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Jinx (League of Legends)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I am also indifferent to there being a playable rep from Undertale but if they do the stage alone would prolly blow my mind.

Top Bottom