• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Difficult to win with =/= Difficult to use.

There are many good characters in this game with broken movesets that still require in-depth character knowledge to use. Conversely, there are also characters that are almost impossible to win with against good players but whose gameplan is very straightforward (just straight forwardly bad).

If I had to make a poor analogy, it's the difference of getting to point A to B using a car vs walking there. The car is easier to reach the destination but requires drivers' knowledge. Walking is a basic function that most people are able to perform instinctively, but the act of walking there is more difficult physically to do.
That's a fair analogy, honestly. I suppose I feel like some of these kits are like trying to walk while blindfolded or backwards. I get mentally blocked for lack of a better word. So yeah like fogbadge fogbadge asked, Villager to me seems rather complex as their moves are so odd. So maybe difficult or complicated aren't the best way to describe how they appear. Unorthodox maybe? I dunno, lol. But it's definitely a me thing. Most people wouldn't think many of these kits are difficult to use successfully. And even so there's exceptions like Kazuya who is very unorthodox and yet I picked him up right away and don't do badly with him.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I only play super casually against the AI and I only really know characters on a very base level. The only move I could never figure out for the life of me is Steve’s recovery. I always end up KO’ing myself whenever I try to use it because I have no idea how to control it properly. Otherwise, I just play characters by figuring them out as I play and never really read any tutorials or guides. I’m aware that means I’ll never be good enough to be competitive but I feel like I’m at least competent enough to have a good time and enjoy myself and that’s all that really matters to me.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll be honest, I also think people really overstate how "complicated" Ryu is. Everything "complex" about him has been in Smash either since Melee or since the original game on the N64, just in different forms.

The first and less complicated of the two is the tap vs hold system on his normals, where the strength of the move, or the move itself in the case of forward tilt, is different depending on whether you tap the attack button or hold it. Not only is this intuitive and not at all complex, but Samus has literally had a system like this since Melee with her Missile special, having different projectiles depending on if you tapped or smashed the special button. It's used on more moves for Ryu, yes, but that does not inherently make it more complex.

However, the biggest complaint is usually reserved for the motion inputs for his specials. Namely, the Hadoken, Shakunetsu Hadoken, Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, and the Shoryuken. I could go on about how a quarter circle forward, half circle forward, and half circle backward are among the easiest inputs imaginable, or how the Shoryuken input is easy with just a little bit of practice, but fundamentally? The idea of motion inputs giving you a different special has literally existed since Smash 64, and people just seem to ignore this.

PK Thunder literally requires a motion input in order to have you recover, a basic character function that's vital to Ness and Lucas as fighters.

Like, I'll reiterate. You can still use Shoryuken to recover without a special input. It's just a weaker variant. You cannot recover with Ness or Lucas without a motion input special move (well okay, Lucas Specifically also has the Rope Snake tether, but still). So why is it that Ryu gets deemed as "too complex" while Ness doesn't, especially when the motion inputs are arguably more vital for the latter?

Like I'll be real, complaints about characters being too complicated kind of lose some merit in my eyes when the complaints are directed toward the likes of Ryu, Villager, Isabelle, or Min Min. The only characters that are significantly more complicated than average are like...the Ice Climbers (for desynching), Rosalina & Luma (by virtue of being a puppeteer fighter), Shulk (due to stat based stance changing), maybe Bayonetta (with the Bat Within stuff alongside her very specific recovery plan), Inkling (paint application modifiers), Hero (competing at an international event essentially requires knowing all of the spell names in all available languages lmao), Steve (since you basically have to play a whole different game), and Kazuya (easily the most complex of the fighting game character crew and it's not even close, just due to the sheer amount of moves).

That's like, 8/89 characters. Y'all will live lmao.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'll be honest, I also think people really overstate how "complicated" Ryu is. Everything "complex" about him has been in Smash either since Melee or since the original game on the N64, just in different forms.

The first and less complicated of the two is the tap vs hold system on his normals, where the strength of the move, or the move itself in the case of forward tilt, is different depending on whether you tap the attack button or hold it. Not only is this intuitive and not at all complex, but Samus has literally had a system like this since Melee with her Missile special, having different projectiles depending on if you tapped or smashed the special button. It's used on more moves for Ryu, yes, but that does not inherently make it more complex.

However, the biggest complaint is usually reserved for the motion inputs for his specials. Namely, the Hadoken, Shakunetsu Hadoken, Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, and the Shoryuken. I could go on about how a quarter circle forward, half circle forward, and half circle backward are among the easiest inputs imaginable, or how the Shoryuken input is easy with just a little bit of practice, but fundamentally? The idea of motion inputs giving you a different special has literally existed since Smash 64, and people just seem to ignore this.

PK Thunder literally requires a motion input in order to have you recover, a basic character function that's vital to Ness and Lucas as fighters.

Like, I'll reiterate. You can still use Shoryuken to recover without a special input. It's just a weaker variant. You cannot recover with Ness or Lucas without a motion input special move (well okay, Lucas Specifically also has the Rope Snake tether, but still). So why is it that Ryu gets deemed as "too complex" while Ness doesn't, especially when the motion inputs are arguably more vital for the latter?

Like I'll be real, complaints about characters being too complicated kind of lose some merit in my eyes when the complaints are directed toward the likes of Ryu, Villager, Isabelle, or Min Min. The only characters that are significantly more complicated than average are like...the Ice Climbers (for desynching), Rosalina & Luma (by virtue of being a puppeteer fighter), Shulk (due to stat based stance changing), maybe Bayonetta (with the Bat Within stuff alongside her very specific recovery plan), Inkling (paint application modifiers), Hero (competing at an international event essentially requires knowing all of the spell names in all available languages lmao), Steve (since you basically have to play a whole different game), and Kazuya (easily the most complex of the fighting game character crew and it's not even close, just due to the sheer amount of moves).

Yeah, I think both Ryu and Ken work well enough just picking up and playing them as if they were any other Smash character for a new player. You don’t really need to know all the ins and outs of every character to enjoy playing around casually with friends. They’re probably both a bit on the weak side if you don’t at least learn a few simple things like their command inputs (like the quarter circle hadouken) but those are easy enough to learn, and I don’t feel like they’re completely essential to enjoy playing the character even then. The only real tricky one is their uppercut.

I really enjoy using Terry and Kazuya, for example, but I have no idea how to actually play either character optimally. I can’t even do any true combos with Kazuya other than the obvious A chain combo but he’s still a lot of fun to mess around with. Terry’s gimmick where he gets new moves at 100% damage is tons of fun and I think I discovered that accidentally.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It really is the perfect time for Sakurai's channel to reach its full potential, during Ultimate's lifecycle he often stated he was afraid to talk about other games because people would often start insisting that he was going to add the characters to Smash. This "in between games" period is the perfect chance for him to display whatever games he wants in his videos without having to worry about that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It really is the perfect time for Sakurai's channel to reach its full potential, during Ultimate's lifecycle he often stated he was afraid to talk about other games because people would often start insisting that he was going to add the characters to Smash. This "in between games" period is the perfect chance for him to display whatever games he wants in his videos without having to worry about that.
people will still ask

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Or maybe him mentioning these games will get people talking about them in Smash more often...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Or maybe him mentioning these games will get people talking about them in Smash more often...
Talking about them in Smash is fine. It's probably more annoying for people to insist that you're definitely going to add them to the game, which tends to be more common during the actual speculation cycles themselves.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I am ending this poll on Friday, so if you have not voted in it please do so sooner rather than later. The article with the results should be out by early September. Data should not radically move, but I do want people to have their chance to do the poll now rather than whine about it later.

When the article posts, I will also have the poll for part 2 ready to go. I will have it both highlighted in the article and I will post it here with the article.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I am ending this poll on Friday, so if you have not voted in it please do so sooner rather than later. The article with the results should be out by early September. Data should not radically move, but I do want people to have their chance to do the poll now rather than whine about it later.

When the article posts, I will also have the poll for part 2 ready to go. I will have it both highlighted in the article and I will post it here with the article.
Just tell me one thing.

Did my spooky ghost boy do well?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, speculation like that is crazy. The possibility that Sakurai just simply likes a game means that a character from that game has a "chance" to be in Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure if that will change things; even if a Smash game isn't publicly known to be development, people will take comments from Sakurai like "I used to play Darkstalkers in arcades" and think that means that Anakaris is coming to the next Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if that will change things;
Like I've stated before, the fact that we aren't currently in a Smash speculation cycle means, that while these kinds of comments will still come, they would be significantly less in quantity compared to if we were in the middle of a speculation cycle.

It's like in politics, if someone is currently running for office, things that they do in everyday life would be significantly under more scrutiny compared to after they retired/are no longer running for office.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not sure if that will change things; even if a Smash game isn't publicly known to be development, people will take comments from Sakurai like "I used to play Darkstalkers in arcades" and think that means that Anakaris is coming to the next Smash Bros.
Okay but like...

I'd co-main Anakaris.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just when I think I'm done mentioning Demitri and his Midnight Bliss Final Smash...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If a Darkstalkers character gets in, it's Morrigan. She's literally the Captain Falcon of the series, has become more iconic than her own franchises due to crossover representation.
Most likely, yeah - I just went with Anakaris because he seemed like a more random pick.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Poll is closed now, I have calculated everything for Chance and Want. Won't spoil too much but It was interesting to say the least.
Is there a general idea on how many parts/polls there will be (and which series will be in which parts) or is it not planned that far in advance yet? (It's OK if you don't want to share yet too).

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Is there a general idea on how many parts/polls there will be (and which series will be in which parts) or is it not planned that far in advance yet? (It's OK if you don't want to share yet too).
I actually have a roadmap planned out. In terms of raw parts, probably ~10. Don’t want to spoil too much rn, but I will say that rn it’s 5 parts for first parties and 5 parts for third parties.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I actually have a roadmap planned out. In terms of raw parts, probably ~10. Don’t want to spoil too much rn, but I will say that rn it’s 5 parts for first parties and 5 parts for third parties.
A suggestion I have would be maybe to have a dedicated thread to the polls and the results, just so they're all gathered in one place. (Of course you can still post the poll links and discussion here). Just so people don't have to potentially scroll through multiple pages and stuff to find the polls.

(Obviously if you don't want to do that, you don't have to)

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
A suggestion I have would be maybe to have a dedicated thread to the polls and the results, just so they're all gathered in one place. (Of course you can still post the poll links and discussion here). Just so people don't have to potentially scroll through multiple pages and stuff to find the polls.

(Obviously if you don't want to do that, you don't have to)
I have something planned for that, but I do not want to spoil the final product if that makes sense. The first one was always going to be a rough entry point, but by part 2 I think things will be in place.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Are you going to make one for third party?
I believe he's already stated that.

Quillion

Smash Hero

TBH, I don't like playing any of the characters you mentioned in the 2nd-to-last paragraph because of their gimmicks/extra mechanics. The difference between Ness/Samus and those characters is that while the 64-Brawl characters have a few gimmicky elements here or there, the characters you mention have kits that revolve around their gimmicks and/or have tons of those elements.

Also, while this is admittedly speculation, those gimmicky Smash 4-on characters don't feel like attempts to give the audience new ways to play as much as exercises in importing mechanics from these characters' home games into Smash. Even the simpler new characters like Mega Man, Incineroar, and Byleth feel this way despite feeling more like the 64-Brawl characters in practice.

The above is likely one reason for this divide between the 64-Brawl characters who are mainly targeted at fulfilling fighting game niches in a knockback platform fighter and the Smash 4-on characters who are done more for artistic exercise. Perhaps one isn't objectively better than the other, but I just personally like limitation breeding creativity instead of unfettered chaos.

That said, maybe there could be a compromise. No more Ryus, Bayonettas, Inklings, or Shulks. More newcomers that instead follow Incineroar and Byleth's lead in mechanics while still having detailed references to their home games; more focused character changes like DK with Barrel Cannon recovery, Zelda having Light Arrow projectile normal Smashes, Samus having projectile or pseudo-projectile normals here and there, Jigglypuff 's Rest actually healing.

But nothing like giving DK a barrel toss/coconut gun, making Ganondorf another magic user with a big sword, and especially not Mario or Kirby getting tons more power-up based moves. Not every character needs to be as dull as, say, DK right now, but there's a balance or order and chaos that could please most.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as motion input stigma, I think part of it is a generational issue. Some older players a bit more ensconced in traditional fighting games can take to quarter circle motions easily enough, but there are younger ones that rarely if ever played one that are just inherently turned off by the concept. I've spoken with a few here and there and the sentiment is typically them seeing it as an outdated idea that isn't needed in contemporary titles. Now there's a whole nuanced explanation as to why its still used in traditional fighters to this day and the rich complexity of its use in competitive play, its just to some of those outside that scene, its like lives in platformer; made sense for mainstream games then, not so much now.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
As far as motion input stigma, I think part of it is a generational issue. Some older players a bit more ensconced in traditional fighting games can take to quarter circle motions easily enough, but there are younger ones that rarely if ever played one that are just inherently turned off by the concept. I've spoken with a few here and there and the sentiment is typically them seeing it as an outdated idea that isn't needed in contemporary titles. Now there's a whole nuanced explanation as to why its still used in traditional fighters to this day and the rich complexity of its use in competitive play, its just to some of those outside that scene, its like lives in platformer; made sense for mainstream games then, not so much now.
I don't think the problem is necessarily command inputs in Smash, but more that the characters in question try to have it both ways, having both command inputs and button+direction inputs.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Poll is closed now, I have calculated everything for Chance and Want. Won't spoil too much but It was interesting to say the least.
Oh, I wanted to ask... will you be making a poll for retro/obscure (1st and 2nd party) characters? Like, characters from the 80's and/or 90's, characters that have only had 1-2 games, etc.? I have a couple of suggestions for a poll like that, if you need them...

Going past 1st parties, will 3rd parties also get such a poll as well?

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Oh, I wanted to ask... will you be making a poll for retro/obscure (1st and 2nd party) characters? Like, characters from the 80's and/or 90's, characters that have only had 1-2 games, etc.? I have a couple of suggestions for a poll like that, if you need them...

Going past 1st parties, will 3rd parties also get such a poll as well?
There is a misc Nintendo first party picks part planned. I have a lot of the standard retro picks already on there as well as a few fan favorites. There will be a suggestion part on part IV for any that I missed. I will note though already the planned list is long already so not every suggestion will be on the shortlist.

There are five sections for third parties planned as well at this time as well.

Top Bottom