• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Gengar84 Gengar84 , Sucumbio Sucumbio :

I think the problem with modern games being too long is a two part deal:

Modern short games feel overly scripted and restrictive, meaning replay value is entirely on whether you enjoy playing the same thing over and over.

Modern replayable games are overly long in a bad way. Not by naturally filling the game with a variety of challenges and situations, but by copypasting one situation over and over.
I honestly just can't seem to get into many of the games that come out these days. If Ultimate satiates me until the next Smash I won't be surprised.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Another thing that makes the prospects of upcoming summer and/or fall Directs more exciting is the greater potential for more niche franchises to appear now that we are later in the Switch's lifecycle. There have already been several rumblings/rumors which may or may not amount to anything: Bandai Namco 3D remake rumors, the earlier S&P speculation, not knowing what Camelot's next project is while also getting further away from their last release, the usual but typically fruitless F-Zero banter, etc. Even things like Star Fox and DK are getting mentioned more frequently as possibilities. We'll see if any of it happens...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Another thing that makes the prospects of upcoming summer and/or fall Directs more exciting is the greater potential for more niche franchises to appear now that we are later in the Switch's lifecycle. There have already been several rumblings/rumors which may or may not amount to anything: Bandai Namco 3D remake rumors, the earlier S&P speculation, not knowing what Camelot's next project is while also getting further away from their last release, the usual but typically fruitless F-Zero banter, etc. Even things like Star Fox and DK are getting mentioned more frequently as possibilities. We'll see if any of it happens...
Meanwhile, I'm still holding out hope for more 3DS ports. I've already mentioned Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (even though the recent FE rumors hurt that a lot), but anybody remember Ever Oasis? That game was better than it had ANY right to be.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Hmmm

So if the president of Nintendo came to Mr. Sakurai and said I need you to put ______ in the next Smash game make it happen I don't care how,..... What's the ONE character you'd fill that blank with?.

Me? Not sure yet gotta ponder this a bit actually.

"
Geno because I refuse to see his parents company just keeping him dead with so much fanbase behind him and so much support to have him back since 25 years.
Smash managed to revive so many characters from the dead and I want him to stay alive through smash installments also Geno amiibo would be amazing we would finally have the chance to have Geno merch besides that super rare expensive japan exclusive Geno keychain that was released back in 1995.
if I had to choose another character then I would also pick Penguin from Club Penguin and thats for the same reason as Geno now that we have Disney on the table.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Geno because I refuse to see his parents company just keeping him dead with so much fanbase behind him and so much support to have him back since 25 years.
Smash managed to revive so many characters from the dead and I want him to stay alive through smash installments also Geno amiibo would be amazing we would finally have the chance to have Geno merch besides that super rare expensive japan exclusive Geno keychain that was released back in 1995.
if I had to choose another character then I would also pick Penguin from Club Penguin and thats for the same reason as Geno now that we have Disney on the table.
Finally! I was like why no one saying Geno.

Geno for Smash!
Crash for Smash!
Ryu Hayabusa for Smash!
So many names let's gooOoOO!!

clint-eastwood-cowboys.gif

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I think I'm going to go with PMD Grovyle for this, even though he's not necessarily my most wanted (certainly top five though). Bandana Dee or Kris Deltarune or whoever are characters I want too, but they already have good chances. No reason to burn this opportunity on them. Grovyle, on the other hand (and I say this with upmost regret), will never get in. If Bandana Dee is waiting for a die to land on a 6, Grovyle is waiting for you to predict the exact order of a deck of 52 cards. Maxwell from Scribblenauts is equally unlikely, but he has an advantage Grovyle doesn't: he's a Warner property, and as such could be added to Multiversus. He has a good chance for a platform fighter, even if it's not my top pick. This deal is literally the only way Grovyle could get in anything.
Hell yeah Grovyle from PMD I need him so badly it sucks that PMD still has 0 content in smash and Grovyle is literally one of the best written character in gaming to me as PMD2 was the only game managed to make me cry when I played through it.

Also the PMD series has sold more than 16 million copies why still no PMD content in smash??? Not even a spirit or a song or a stage.
Who is responsible of not adding any PMD content?:(

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Hmmm

So if the president of Nintendo came to Mr. Sakurai and said I need you to put ______ in the next Smash game make it happen I don't care how,..... What's the ONE character you'd fill that blank with?.

Me? Not sure yet gotta ponder this a bit actually.

"
I can think of a lot of characters I'd like personally that would be challenging to implement in Smash, but have a lot of potential to be something very unique.
However, none of them are very popular or relevant lol. But I will say that I'll mention Kawase Umihara in response to this question.

Basically, her games are physics-based bungee-cording platforming titles. She uses that fishing line to grapple to almost any terrain and has to use momentum to traverse the level.
This clip basically gives you the gist of some of the nonsense you can do the games, but there's a lot of speed runs of the several games that can really show you what is possible.
Umihara Kawase (SNES)
Umihara Kawase Shun (PlayStation)
Sayonara Umihara Kawase (3DS)
Kawase also appeared in Blade Strangers, which is a more traditional 2D fighter. There are two versions of her in it (Think Ryu and Evil Ryu).
Here's a combo video of the two of them if you were interested in seeing how she's been adapted into a fighting game.
Kawase in Blade Strangers
Summer Kawase in Blade Strangers

Anyways, I just think she would be really cool and interesting in a game like Smash. To balance her insane mobility potential her normal stats would probably have to be mediocre to bad, but if you can master her Fishing Hook techniques I think you'd be more than able to make up for it.

OH, and if you're at all interested in what you're looking at, Umihara Kawase is on the Japanese SNES Online. SO if you pay for online just download that and gave it a try. There's isn't much dialogue in it to worry about not understanding, but the game does leave you to more or less figure everything out by yourself.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I can think of a lot of characters I'd like personally that would be challenging to implement in Smash, but have a lot of potential to be something very unique.
However, none of them are very popular or relevant lol. But I will say that I'll mention Kawase Umihara in response to this question.

Basically, her games are physics-based bungee-cording platforming titles. She uses that fishing line to grapple to almost any terrain and has to use momentum to traverse the level.
This clip basically gives you the gist of some of the nonsense you can do the games, but there's a lot of speed runs of the several games that can really show you what is possible.
Umihara Kawase (SNES)
Umihara Kawase Shun (PlayStation)
Sayonara Umihara Kawase (3DS)
Kawase also appeared in Blade Strangers, which is a more traditional 2D fighter. There are two versions of her in it (Think Ryu and Evil Ryu).
Here's a combo video of the two of them if you were interested in seeing how she's been adapted into a fighting game.
Kawase in Blade Strangers
Summer Kawase in Blade Strangers

Anyways, I just think she would be really cool and interesting in a game like Smash. To balance her insane mobility potential her normal stats would probably have to be mediocre to bad, but if you can master her Fishing Hook techniques I think you'd be more than able to make up for it.

OH, and if you're at all interested in what you're looking at, Umihara Kawase is on the Japanese SNES Online. SO if you pay for online just download that and gave it a try. There's isn't much dialogue in it to worry about not understanding, but the game does leave you to more or less figure everything out by yourself.
The footage reminds me a lot of Metroid Zero Mission for some reason.

Quillion

Smash Hero
why no one saying Geno.
I mean, it's bad enough people want Waluigi despite him being a spin-off character.

Geno has the misfortune of being a one-shot spin-off character. Not a one-shot main series character who has become a spin-off character like Daisy, but a one-shot spin-off character.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Two Words: Spike Chunsoft
If a character from that company is added, that will be Monokuma and [REDACTED] from Danganronpa (their only recognizable franchise outside of Japan).
Mystery dungeon series is their most sold series with more than 23 million copies and thats mostly from the pokemon side of the series while Danganronpa is around 5 million copies
so a mystery dungeon rep should also be on the table it has much bigger history for the company itself

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Mystery dungeon series is their most sold series with more than 23 million copies and thats mostly from the pokemon side of the series while Danganronpa is around 5 million copies
so a mystery dungeon rep should also be on the table it has much bigger history for the company itself
Couple of things wrong here;
  • If sales numbers were indicative of a company's history, we would've 100% gotten Kyo Kusanagi instead of Terry Bogard because King of Fighters definitely outsells Fatal Fury and is even more known to fighting game fans. Numbers aren't everything for companies.
  • Mystery Dungeon is primarly known for its crossovers. Heck, it started as a Dragon Quest spin-off. Sure, there are original games with original characters, but those aren't the reason the franchise is known and like you said, Pokemon carried it hard.
  • Not a lot of its original stuff made it internationally.
So either we get a straight up Pokemon, which isn't counted as a Mystery Dungeon rep as surprising as it may sound, or we get a Mystery Dungeon rep that nobody knows because most of the original games it gets also happen to be exclusive to Japan.

Danganronpa is a much better representation of Spike Chunsoft because it sells decently well, actually gets international releases and isn't carried by other companies' IPs when it does leave Japan.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not really big on the whole idea of company representation in Smash. I think characters should be judged on their own merits and not so much as representing their company, especially if that company is a huge corporation that owns multiple developers. It never really made sense to me to group RARE, Bethesda, Activision-Blizzard, and other characters as “Microsoft reps” just because Microsoft happens to own them. I know on the business end it makes sense for companies to want representation but I never really understood why fans cared as much about that.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I’m not really big on the whole idea of company representation in Smash. I think characters should be judged on their own merits and not so much as representing their company, especially if that company is a huge corporation that owns multiple developers. It never really made sense to me to group RARE, Bethesda, Activision-Blizzard, and other characters as “Microsoft reps” just because Microsoft happens to own them. I know on the business end it makes sense for companies to want representation but I never really understood why fans cared as much about that.
My view is that limiting company representation is a good way to preemptively stop the 3rd party characters from overtaking the main 1st party portion.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Remember back in pre-E3 2018 "Smash Switch" era when people unironically wanted a Tetris Block in Ultimate because Puyo Puyo Tetris?

Stratos

Smash Ace
I remember some people wanted a Tetris-inspired character, it could happen, almost anything can happen.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Tetromino and King Boo are pretty compelling choices as potential fighters with no legs.

Are there any other fighters who could work that way? Piranha Plant might have worked that way, but they gave it little feet under its pot.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Tetromino and King Boo are pretty compelling choices as potential fighters with no legs.

Are there any other fighters who could work that way? Piranha Plant might have worked that way, but they gave it little feet under its pot.
How about a Hydralisk from StarCraft? They’d probably go with an established character like Sarah Kerrigan, Jim Raynor, or Zeratul, but Hydralisks are very iconic units that could also work as a playable character. There’s also Slime from Dragon Quest and various Pokémon that could work as well.

1656007984680.jpeg

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well there's chilly and gooey from kirby, slime from dragon quest, a number of pokemon

SPEN18

Smash Lord
If Tetris had been created by Nintendo itself then maybe it would have a chance as a rep along the lines of Game & Watch or R.O.B.
But as it stands I don't think it would or should be a candidate.

fighters with no legs
Mother Brain (the mobile form would probably only be a Final Smash or something).

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don’t think so in their actual moveset. I think they might in one of their victory animations but I don’t think that counts.
Ah ha! Precedent. I am now thrilled to have hope for a character without limb(s) at least in terms of moveset. Taunts and victory poses don't count unless the taunt has a hurtbox.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ah ha! Precedent. I am now thrilled to have hope for a character without limb(s) at least in terms of moveset. Taunts and victory poses don't count unless the taunt has a hurtbox.
Yeah, I don’t think legs are really required to make a Smash character. They can easily just slither across the ground if they are snake like or float if they can do that. Even a fish can work if they’re creative enough. I could probably come up with a workable Sharpedo Smash moveset if I had enough time to think about it so I’m sure Sakurai and his team could figure out pretty much anything. The thing I always try to keep in mind is just because something hasn’t been done yet, doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t be done in the future.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
A character with two boomerangs as his main weapons, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, who also acquires elementary boomerangs.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I forgot does koopaling ever stand?
Oh yeah, I forgot that Jr. rides in a floating pod.

Yeah, I don’t think legs are really required to make a Smash character. They can easily just slither across the ground if they are snake like or float if they can do that. Even a fish can work if they’re creative enough. I could probably come up with a workable Sharpedo Smash moveset if I had enough time to think about it so I’m sure Sakurai and his team could figure out pretty much anything. The thing I always try to keep in mind is just because something hasn’t been done yet, doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t be done in the future.
I'm not saying legs are required; I genuinely think legless fighters are an untapped source of potential.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I was going to question why your number one wasn’t Master Chief considering your user name then I remembered my own user name isn’t my #1 most
wanted either lol.
Basically because Ahri is female and i want a masculine username. Also if Ahri was added she would make me excited for the first time in 1v1s

I honestly just can't seem to get into many of the games that come out these days. If Ultimate satiates me until the next Smash I won't be surprised.
same here.

Top Bottom