• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Unrelated, but here's a more unique form of character deconfirmation:

TLDR: Bruce Lee's family doesn't want anymore parodies of him, and this is Capcom's way of respecting their wishes.
This doesn't make any sense. Fei Long was always an honorable tribute to Bruce Lee. He was never a parody or comedic portrayal of him.

I respect the Lee family but I can't go with this. It sounds ridiculous!

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
It seems Capcom's conflating parody and homage here, Fei Long isn't a joke character or anything, but they're probably just acting out of an overabundance of respect. And in general, most Bruce Lee-inspired depictions are done pretty reverentially. At least, that I'm aware of.

I imagine the Lee family was less than happy with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Capcom has made crossover games with non-video game companies as it is known and these are Marvel with which it has made several games and one with Tatsunoko and all of them are fighting games.
One with Tatsunako is no longer available due to licensing issue.
It goes to show why Goku is so unlikely.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Capcom's effectively pulling a Weird Al; he could do any parody he wants, but he asks for permission from the artist as a courtesy and if he's denied that he doesn't do it.

The company may simply figure that gaining the ire from the family of a beloved movie star and cultural icon simply isn't worth it, especially for a character that's not terribly important in the lore of Street Fighter anyway.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It seems Capcom's conflating parody and homage here, Fei Long isn't a joke character or anything, but they're probably just acting out of an overabundance of respect. And in general, most Bruce Lee-inspired depictions are done pretty reverentially. At least, that I'm aware of.

I imagine the Lee family was less than happy with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Now that you mention it, somebody said this whole thing is Quinten Tarantino's fault...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly a Playtonic developed DKC Game would be amazing and go full circle. Maybe even add Yooka-Laylee in there as well?
I would love a crossover of these franchises, Yooka Laylee in general feels as much as the added on "DK Universe" as Banjo, in many ways. Sure it's a Banjo spiritual successor at first and foremost, and I'd love a full crossover of Donkey Kong, Banjo and Yooka-Laylee but that's probably too far out of the question.

I typed this because even if I played the Impossible Lair, I never until recently played the original game, but am doing so now and am enjoying every bit of it. Very reminiscent of DK64 and Banjo Kazooie I find it. If Nintendo would take inspiration from them and make a Donkey Kong 64 spiritual successor that's just like Yooka-Laylee I'd love that.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Here's my character concept for Goku in Smash!

First the basic introduction. My Goku will be what I call Kid Goku with GT characteristics. What does this mean? Well it means it'll be a Kid Goku with access to both eras of his respective abilities/tools. So he'll have access to Super Saiyan 1, 2 and 3, Instant Transmission, ki attacks besides Kamehameha and his tail and power pole! I'm limiting it to his most iconic transformations as opposed to his newer ones because it'd start to pile up too much to include them all and also I have a great concept for the 3 I'm using. I'm also using Kid Goku as opposed to adult Goku because first I believe he fits better into Smash that way, second it grants him access to his powerpole and tail and finally it's how he appeared first in the manga AND in his first video game. Also it'll give him a major weakness which will be his weight and the reach of his limb-based physical attacks.

Goku will be auto-locked to his opponents because it's Sakurai and I guess he does that now with fighting game characters which is what I'll consider Goku for this concept.

Goku will enter the stage on his Nimbus cloud.

The Specials:

Shield-Special: Ki-Charge

Goku's Shield-Special will be a simple ki-charge. It's very self-explanatory but I'll do my best nonetheless. Goku flexes both of his arms and assumes a "ready position" while vociferously exclaiming "AAAAAAAAAAH" which creates a sharp and rising aura around him that causes his clothes and hair to wave around as if they were being blown by a strong gust of wind. Doing this will fill Goku's Ki-Bar.

Filling Goku's Ki-Bar will grant him access to Super Saiyan. The Ki-Bar overlaps 3 times for each successive transformation. Base form to Super Saiyan 1 is colored blue on the ki-bar and once Super Saiyan 1 is reached the ki-bar will turn gold. Super Saiyan 2 will cause the ki bar to become gold with lightning around it and Super Saiyan 3 will cause the ki-bar to become sparkling gold with lightning around it.

When reaching Super Saiyan 1 and 2 you'll start out at 25% of a full bar and while that should help you the strain on Goku's body will start immediately and using any of his ki-based attacks will drain the ki that much quicker. Only two things will accumulate ki for Goku and they are landing physical attacks (which is mostly a function of making his character implementation work in the game but is also a slight reference to how Saiyans get stronger as they fight) and using the Shield-Special to Ki-Charge. The strain of the transformations will slow down the charge accordingly. Charging to Super Saiyan 1 takes about as long as 250% of the time it takes for Inkling ink meter to go from empty to full. Each Super Saiyan transformation after that takes 50% extra longer than that so 300% for Super Saiyan 2 and 350% for Super Saiyan 3. Each successive transformation will up the strain on body increasing the rate of passive ki loss by 25% each after regular Super Saiyan 1. By the time you hit Super Saiyan 3 it'll be almost a fool's errand to be charging your ki at that point. You'll recover some but it'll be very slow and it's not like the opponent is just gonna sit there and let you power up amirite or amirite? ;)

One major remedy to this is that Super Saiyan 3 starts out at 100% full ki-charge as opposed to the 25% for Super Saiyan 1 and 2. When Goku runs out of his Super Saiyan 3 Ki-Bar he falls back into base-form.

The Super Saiyan transformations will buff Goku by raising (or lowering if it's more beneficial) all his attributes and the damage of his attacks according to the level of transformation. It'll also give him access to a different Neutral-Special that I'll get into next.

Goku CAN use his ki-based attacks when his ki-bar is at absolute zero. The only thing affected by the meter is his Super Saiyan transformations. His ki-based attack simply speeds up the drain back down to base form.

Here is a visual reference for Kid Goku's Ki-Charge from Dragon Ball FighterZ: https://youtu.be/1PXx3-goVGM?t=85

Also here's a visual reference of Kid Goku going through Super Saiyan 1, 2 and 3 in order: https://youtu.be/b8_ddJYieUo?t=20

Base-Form Neutral-Special: Spirit Bomb
Goku charges a Spirit Bomb for his Neutral-Special while in his base form. He'll of course have his iconic voice clip of "Please lend me your energy" while he's doing it as he raises both his hands up to gather the Genki. When it's fully charged Goku's hand glows blue or white with an aura visually indicating that the Spirit Bomb is fully charged. This spirit bomb isn't giant like we're used to. No it's more similar to the one Krillin threw at Vegeta during the Saiyan arc. Its trajectory can also be manipulated by the control stick for a brief moment after launch just like Pit's Arrows. It'll take about 200% as long as Samus' Neutral-Special but just like that one Goku can charge it in bits and pieces. It won't be twice as strong but maybe about 150% as strong?

One of the major benefits to this though is going to be for his Super Saiyan transformations because if Goku has a fully charged Spirit Bomb loaded before transforming into Super Saiyan 1 he'll cash it in and in doing so will start at 50% of maximum ki-bar for Super Saiyan 1 instead of 25%. This gimmick is only applicable when going from base-form to Super Saiyan 1.

I'll leave a visual reference for the size and style of Spirt Bomb I'm incorporating here. Notice like I said it's a lot like the one Krillin threw at Vegeta.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/Jotj6yxW7Ts?t=121

All Super Saiyan transformations' Neutral-Special: Dragon Fist
Goku's Neutral-Special in all of his Super Saiyan transformations will be Dragon Fist. It'll be a lot like Sephiroth's Up-Special. When initially activated Goku will say "Dragon..." audibly quieter than when he finishes the attack with a resounding "FIST!!!!!" and this process will take about as long as Captain Falcon's iconic Falcon Punch. During the charge-up Goku will be able to aim his Dragon Fist just like Sephiroth's Up-Special does. If Goku aims the attack into the air or offstage or whatever he'll be put into a falling state. It can travel about 50% as far as Ike's fully-charged Side-Special. It's a great recovery mix-up but I ain't giving him Sora's double recovery gimmick.

Visually it kind of looks like Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch in both its firey form and how the Falcon Punch is shaped like a Falcon but this move is obviously shaped like a Dragon (like Shenron from the show) and like I said it travels a bit unlike the stationary Falcon Punch.

Visual reference to the Dragon Fist: https://youtu.be/cVwr0inAhbw?t=16

Up-Special: Instant Transmission
For Goku's Up-Special he'll receive instant transmission. Goku brings his pointer and middle fingers to his forehead as he does this move. It'll function very similarly to other teleports in the game already like Mewtwo's and Palutenia's. Just like those moves he'll be able to use it on the ground and move it horizontally around with it. I'm giving it an extra gimmick though... Goku's instant transmission will also be a counter! Yep pretty crazy I know. There'll be a counter that's active from about the 25%-75% portion of the attack animation and even getting hit with a projectile will set it off. Whoever attacked Goku during this timeframe will be met with Goku immediately teleporting to them and doing a sweeping aerial kick if they're on the ground and if they're in the air Goku will do a double axe-handled punch towards the floor and it'll spike! The opponent can't do anything to stop this just like a regular counter and if Goku activates the counter he won't be put into a falling state and will be allowed to Up-Special again immediately after the counter is over.

The counter will be visually indicated by Goku's dematerializing body (his body starts to phase in and out into bits and pieces) the very beginning before that happens ISN'T the counter and the point after Goku disappears (teleports) also ISN'T the counter either hence why I said the beginning 25% and the final 25% of the attack animation the counter isn't active.

I'll leave a visual reference for the animation where the counter is active. You'll notice Goku is phasing in and out THIS is essentially the counter's active phase.

When Goku activates the Up-Special he'll say "Got it!" and if he activates the counter he'll either say "There you are!" or "I'm over here!" just as he appears for the counter-attack.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/lSb1wk1VwHU?t=46

Forward-Special: Kamehameha
Of course it's here. There was literally nothing else that could have been here! Goku's Forward-Special is his most iconic attack the Kamehameha wave of the turtle school! There isn't much to say but Goku can't store this attack like his Spirit Bomb. It'll work a lot like Hero's side-special in that it has 3 forms (those being weak, medium and strong variants) while of course having more range and being a projectile-based attack as opposed to attacks physical attack with lightning enhancement.

For the weak variant Goku will start by saying "Kame" and should the player let go of the Forward-Special input he'll immediately proclaim "ha!". For the medium variant Goku will again start with a "Kame" and then proceed to say "haaaaaa" in contrast with the first portion of the namesake being a quick incantation this "haaaaaa" will be elongated somewhat by Goku audibly signaling to the players that he is dramatically powering up his energy gathering. Should the player let go of the Forward-Special input then Goku will of course finish with a slightly stronger "HAaaaa". Finally by having the player hold the Forward-Special for the entire duration of the attack will unleash the strongest variant which will have Goku will do the usual "Kame" then proceed with a "haaaaaaaa" and then a "meeeeeeee" and finish with a roaring "HAAAAAAA!!!". Each of these attacks will successively do more damage than the previous variation and their hitbox will be widened as well. Though the stronger the Kamehameha the more ki it'll drain from Goku's Ki-Bar so that's important to keep in mind. This strong variant of this move will be a very popular if not the best option to go to in the event of a shield-break.

Also the blast diminishes in size and power (damage) as it travels hence why a fully charged up-close Kamehameha is just that much better.

Of course the is the iconic blue color. You might consider it similar to Samus' Final Smash just heavily nerfed but a Super Saiyan 3 Full-Powered Up-Close Kamehameha will be borderline just as devastating.

Visual reference to Kamehameha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDsPHJ2PY3o

Back-Special: Command Grab Punch
I don't know what to call this one but it's the move he used on Mercenary Tao and I consider kind of an iconic attack from his OG Dragon Ball days. It's straight-up reskinned from Diddy Kong's command grab with Goku flip lunge forward towards the opponent and should it connect Goku with grab onto the opponent's upper body area and like Diddy's Side-Special will automatically start punching the enemy's face. These punches will be weaker punches compared when the player inputting the necessary Jab-input to finish the command-grab (just like how Diddy's strong attack for his command-grab works) which will have Goku jump off the opponent's body and kick them square in the face! I'll leave a timestamped visual reference for this one. This will be Goku's one special attack that doesn't drain his Ki. It in fact will grant him some like all his over physical attacks. This can actually be used to help his recovery a little just like Diddy Kong's (also like Terry's Back-Special) so he won't get back into a fall state after using this.

Visual-Reference https://youtu.be/lSJsQG5Osv4?t=136

Down-Special: Kienzan or Destructo Disk
For Goku's Down-Special he'll do a Kienzan! Goku can do this in the anime and so he'll do it in Smash even though it's more associated with Krillin than Goku. It's basically another ki-projectile-based attack but I'm giving it a special property. It'll be a combination of Kazuya's static paralysis effect coupled with the dramatic camera close up and slicing sound effect of Ridley's Down-Special! When the attack connects the camera will do the close-up and slicing sound effect as it puts the opponent immediately in a short paralysis (like Kazuya's electric punches) and then into a knocked-down state just like Ridley's does. I think this is the best way to represent the attack under the parameters of Smash.

Goku will extend his right hand upward for a moment to summon the Kienzan and then will huck it forward as he says the attack name. It can be Destructo Disk for the west but I always found the name goofy and I prefer the Japanese version of the attack name in this instance.

I'll leave a visual reference of Goku specifically doing the Kienzen (Destructo Disk) and you can use the rest of the video to see other characters doing it to understand the move better. It's basically just a long-range Ki-Based slicing attack.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/TswGEGp4ghM?t=876

The Normal Attacks:

Jab: Rock-Paper-Scissors
Goku's jab will be a 3 hit combo jab and it's his Rock-Paper-Scissors attack. Not much else to say really because. Tap the jab-input 3 times and you'll go through the routine. I'll leave a video visual reference.
Visual reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4N9vKAjUMc

Dash-Attack: Super Dash Headbutt
Goku's dash attack will be a Dragon Rush headbutting attack. Goku will propel himself head-first forward with a bright ki encircling around him. It's a combination reference to the Super Dash mechanic of Dragon Ball FighterZ and Goku's headbutt constantly be referred to in the manga/anime as an unusually strong attack with characters constantly asking what Goku's head is
made of.

Here is a visual reference to the Super Dash mechanic. It's the Frieza player utilizing the move. Goku's aura will be white when he's in his base form and golden wherever he's in any of his Super Saiyan transformations.

It'll be visually almost identical to when Gohan headbutted Raditz in the manga/anime. This attack can also serve as a reference to that despite it being a Gohan attack.

Visual reference to FighterZ Super Dash mechanic: https://youtu.be/sDnmaOQNATg?t=7

Visual reference of Gohan's headbutt attack: https://youtu.be/0ko0XtJjJ28?t=30
Side-Tilt: Powerpole Poke
For Goku's Side-Tilt he'll poke the powerpole forward. When he does this attack he moves forward a little bit. When Goku uses his powerpole it's already automatically a fair amount extended but if the player holds the input (think Ryu/Ken's heavy inputs) he'll say "Powerpole extend!" causing the range to increase by about 25-30%! The trade-off is the increased end lag on the move coupled with the extra animation time for the attack it commits the player to though.

Here's a visual reference: https://youtu.be/gXBSJ2-Nno8?t=82

Up-Tilt: Powerpole Helicopter Spin
Goku's Up-Tilt will have him spin his powerpole above his head like a helicopter propeller. It's exactly like Sora's Up-Tilt and holding the input will again cause Goku to say "Powerpole extend!" causing the hit box to increase about 25-30% increasing the move's horizontal range of attack. Again the trade-off is the increased end-lag coupled with the extended animation of attack to account for the extra time needed for the powerpole to revert to normal side THEN be put away again whereas Goku would more immediately put it away after doing the normal unextended variant.

I'll use Brawlfan1's Goku video for a visual reference but keep in mind Brawlfan1 is using this attack as his Up-Smash whereas I'm using this attack as Goku's Up-Tilt.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=300

Down-Tilt: Tail-Swipe
I told ya'll I'd include his tail into the moveset! Goku's Down-Tilt will be a sweeping tail swipe. Goku will quickly turnaround opposite to whatever direction he was facing before inputting the Down-Tilt and swipe his tail low to the ground. As he's doing it he'll close his eyes and give a big cheeky smile and an equally cheeky giggle with a "hehe!" kind of like this ^_^ or whatever. It'll have the highest chance to trip opponents of any Down-Tilt and be a great 2-framer at the ledge but it'll be one of his weakest attacks. Low start and end lag though.

Side-Smash: Ki-Blast-Barrage

Goku's Side-Smash will be Ki-Blast-Barrage. It'll be a lot like Megaman's Side-Smash with the main difference being that the more Goku's Side-Smash is charged the more ki-blasts he fires whereas Megaman's one blast gets bigger the more he charges his. Similar to Megaman's Side-Smash though the more Goku charges his Side-Smash the further his Ki-blasts go. A quick uncharged Side-Smash will have Goku shoot one singular ki-blast that goes about as far as Megaman's uncharged Side-Smash. The amount of ki-blasts will depend on the charge with the fully charged variant having Goku firing 5 ki-blast. Anything less than the charged variant will have Goku say "here!" but if it's fully charged Goku will say "dadadadada!" with one "da" for each ki-blast. Also this Smash attack like all other ki-based attacks will drain Goku's Ki-meter.

Here's a very humorous visual reference of MANY characters in Dragon Ball doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn2bELLJqpU

Up-Smash: Vertical Powerpole Scoop
For his Up-Smash Goku will scoop his Powerpole from low to high and the longer he charges the Smash the more range his powerpole will have. Brawlfan1 has the attack here in his video on Goku's potential moveset but has it for his Up-Tilt. I'm going to instead make it his Up-Smash. It's very similar to Cloud's Up-Smash.

Visual reference with timestamp: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=265

Down-Smash: Low Powerpole Spin
This attack I'm lifting straight from Brawlfan1's Goku video exactly. Goku does a low angled spin around with his powerpole and again the more Goku charges this Smash attack the extended range his powerpole will get. Between a 25-30% increase like all of his other extended range powerpole variants.

Visual reference here: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=311

Neutral-Air: Underhook Kick
Goku's Neutral-Air is a quick underhook kick. I'm lifting it straight from Brawlfan1's video. Goku basically just kicks upward while in the air. Just a basic martial artist kind of move.

Visual Reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=321

Forward-Air: Powerpole Chop
Goku's Forward-Air will be his original powerpole attack. Goku will swing his powerpole from above his head then downward with a chopping strike. Note that any aerial attack utilizing his powerpole will not have extended variants. This move will spike at a diagonal trajectory similar to Terry's Down-Air spike angle but only on its sweet spot. The sweet spot will be very similar to Cloud's Forward-Air sweet spot.

Here's a visual reference from Brawlfan1's video: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=325
Here's a visual reference from the anime: https://youtu.be/lW0o1wIGrBc?t=85

Up-Air: Uppercut
Goku's Up-Air is a powerful uppercut punch. It's just as simple as that. It doesn't have nearly as much range as his other moves but it packs a wallop when it connects. It'll be kind of like a Ryu/Ken Shoryuken (their Up-Special) with the power of Mario/Banjo's Forward-Air and like those aforementioned Forward-Airs it has a sweetspot giving it that extra punch but the so-called sourspot is still fairly strong. When Goku does it he says "This is everything I've got!". The move kind of serves as a reference to the punch he did to defeat King Piccolo hence the voice line slightly referencing it.

Back-Air: Backward Elbow Strike
For Goku's Back-Air he'll do a backwards elbow strike. Goku takes the opposite hand of the one he's going to use elbow strike and uses it (the opposite hand that's not elbowing striking) to help push the elbow-strike giving it some extra force. Again it does have much range but it hurts to get hit by this. Can you imagine getting elbow-striked by a Super Saiyan 3 Goku? Ouch. Goku will either say "Got you!" or "Right there!" when doing this.

Down-Air: Powerpole Pogo
For Goku's Down-Air he'll do his powerpole pogo attack from FighterZ. This Down-Air will be a typical locked momentum and trajectory Down-Air like Sephiroth's and Banjo's Down-Airs. Basically Goku launches himself downward using his powerpole like a pogo stick. Again like his Forward-Air this will NOT have an extended variant.

This move spikes and Goku can reliably cancel out of it in order to recover if he's above the stage but if he's below the stage he'll very likely carry himself into the blast zone. Should Goku land it he'll bounce upward a bit just like when Greninja's Down-Air lands.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/gXBSJ2-Nno8?t=141

The Grabs and Throws:

Pummel: Headbutt
Goku's Pummel will be a simple headbutt attack.

Forward-Throw: Kick-barrage/Headbutt
Lifting from Brawlfan's video. It's a move from Ultimate Tenkaichi 3. Goku spins around like a helicopter propeller unleashing a barrage of kicks in the process and then headbutts the opponent away.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=365

Back-Throw: Powerpole Throw
Again taking this from Brawlfan's video. Goku latches the opponent onto his powerpole and then vaults them backward quickly turning around in the process.

Visual Reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=375

Up-Throw: Double-Fist Slammer
This throw I came up with on my own. Goku throws his opponent into the air and then immediately flies upward with both of his fist extended and slams into them with all the force of his flight launching them upward even further. It's a reference to the attack he used to break Nappa's back.

I'll leave a visual reference but it's extremely quick though (it's supposed to be that way to indicate his power burst from using the kaioken) so you might want to slow down the video some to see it a bit better.

Anyways Visual Reference: https://youtu.be/TAi_oG70L2I?t=36

Down-Throw: Piledriver
I'm lifting from Brawlfan's video for this last one. He mistakenly calls this move a suplex but it's actually a piledriver. It'll be a lot like ROB's Up-Throw. Goku will fly upward with his opponent then flip them upside down and fly back into the ground. I'll leave a visual reference of Goku doing it from Brawlfan's video but just think of ROB's Up-Throw and you got it.

Visual Reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=402

Get-Up-Attacks:

Backward-Get-Up-Attack:
Goku will kick himself back onto his feet and quickly elbow behind himself.

Forward-Get-Up-Attack:
Goku will get on his hands just as he does a 360 degree sweeping kick around himself getting back onto his feet once it's done.

Tripped-Get-Up-Attack:
Goku will spin on the back of his torso rotating his extended feet then flip backwards onto his feet just as he crosses his arms and then he'll uncross them in order to extend each at both his sides unleashing a Kiai (kind of like a wind blast from the force of his power) at both his sides. It's a reference to that iconic little breakdance bit he did against Jeice and Burter. It's sometimes referred to as "Goku time" in a cheeky reference to MC Hammer's "Hammer time".

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/Eov2wy1SZGU?t=1

Ledge-Get-Up-Attack:
Goku will climb back onto the stage and poke his powerpole forward just like Sora's Ledge-Get-Up-Attack.

The Final Smash:
Goku's Final Smash will be one I came up with. It's a cinematic Final Smash. Goku will lunge punch forward and should it connect the opponent will get knocked into a wasteland. Goku will look up and say "Huh?" and dramatically we'll see a full moon with the Dragon Ball sound effect indicating that this is a dramatic event! Goku will turn into a great Oozaru ape and attack the opponent on the ground! The opponent will always dodge this incoming attack by jumping upward. Oozaru Goku will ROAR extremely loud at them unleashing a mouth cannon ki blast directly at them that they will not dodge this time! This blast will decimate them brutally (for effect not actually taking a stock or anything) and will destroy the full moon directly behind them in the process and thus reverting Goku back into his normal kid form with his clothes magically conjured back together.

A fun little effect is that the great ape form will correspond with Goku's current transformation or lack thereof. So base will be a brown great ape, Super Saiyan 1 will be a golden great ape, Super Saiyan 2 will be a golden great ape with jagged fur sticking up and Super Saiyan 3 will have that lush Super Saiyan 3 mane attached to it. None of this will affect the damage or knockback of the Final Smash though as it's just a visual gimmick for show. Still really cool though obviously.

Here are the visual references. Ignore Majin Vegeta being my example for Super Saiyan 2. It was the only reference I could get.

Base-Form: https://www.deviantart.com/maxiuchiha22/art/Great-Ape-render-Awakening-820405178

Super Saiyan 1: https://www.deviantart.com/maxiuchiha22/art/Golden-Great-Ape-render-2-SDBH-World-Mission-820144423

Super Saiyan 2: https://www.deviantart.com/greytonano/art/Oozaru-Majin-Vegeta-712531428

Super Saiyan 3: https://www.deviantart.com/greytonano/art/Oozaru-SSJ3-Goku-713321054

The Taunts:

Up-Taunt:
Goku will pull Master Roshi's glasses out of his pocket put them on and then flash a peace sign with a smile. Goku will say "See? hehe" when he does it. This is a reference to how he managed to get around Tien's solar flare at the tournament where they fought against each other for the first time.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/UbFNYw1hOMw?t=707

Side-Taunt:
Goku does the Monkey dance he did with Master Roshi at his first tournament. He'll giggle and laugh throughout it. It's a long extended Bayonetta dance type taunt that can be canceled at any time and I know they ruined taunts in Ultimate for some reason but I'm operating under the assumption that they fix that mistake.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/ZdAfUrAcPL4?t=46

Down-Taunt:
Goku will get on both knees, close his eyes, and assumes a meditating position. This is a reference to his training with Popo.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/rcyVSar_dlg?t=13

The Victory Screens:
All of Goku's victory screens will have him revert to his base form.

1st one will be Goku chowing down on a feast and then falling on his back with a very satisfied expression on his face.

2nd one will have Goku doing the routine of karate poses as shown here: https://youtu.be/4GIrndy-iE0?t=50
He'll say something along like the lines of "Great fight! Let's do it again sometime okay?" and he'll have a more confident serious smirk on his face at the end.

3rd will have Goku will be on one hand and then flip back onto his feet only to proceed to jump high into the air and extend all of his limbs outward in a joyous fashion and proclaim loudly "Yeah!!!!! I WON!!!!" which is a reference to when he won the World Martial Arts Tournament.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/l4tQ0V7n4ME?t=1598

The victory fanfare will be the episode title theme for original Dragon Ball episodes.

Audio reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa5m99ogjek

The Alts:
Note each link will have a corresponding visual reference and I can't find a kid Goku variant for outfit 7. Number 1 is the default of course.

1. Goku's main orange turtle school gi: https://www.deviantart.com/maffo1989/art/kid-goku-255539902

2. Goku's end of Z blue outfit: https://www.deviantart.com/hsvhrt/art/Kid-Goku-End-Of-Z-683111555

3. Goku's stolen clothes from Shu outfit: https://www.deviantart.com/maxiuchiha22/art/Kid-Goku-Shu-s-clothes-render-Dokkan-Battle-786145991

4. Goku's shirtless with Oolong overalls outfit: https://www.deviantart.com/superjmanplay2/art/Dragon-Ball-Kid-Goku-45-784044586

5. Goku's original purple gi outright: https://www.deviantart.com/superjmanplay2/art/kid-Goku-49-846152506

6. Goku's Saiyan armor landing on Earth: https://www.deviantart.com/songoku048/art/Kid-Kakarotto-Goku-Dbs-Broly-Artwork-770542423

7. Goku with his Yardrat clothes: https://www.deviantart.com/maxiuchiha22/art/Goku-Yardrat-Clothes-card-Bucchigiri-Match-783739453

8. Goku with his Tiger dress: https://twitter.com/herms98/status/1000800020512165889

The Stage:
It'll of course be the World Martial Arts Tournament arena. It'll basically be a lot like any old flat stage. Maybe it might come with a gimmick where like Palutena's guidance and Snake's codecs the Tournament announcer guy will describe all the characters in Smash. And while in the knocked down state the tournament announcer could start a 10 count but it'll never get to 10 as it's simply just for show to add to the atmosphere. The grass will be considered a blast zone so no touching! The tournament arena will have a ledge above the grass so the grass is like an unusually elevated blast zone. I think it's a cute little concept for the stage.

Conclusion:
Well there it is! I'll probably edit this post a fair amount but this is the extent of my moveset design for Goku in Smash. I appreciate anybody taking the time to read this or even just part of it or whatever. I like what I came up with and I've been meaning to do one for my "Kid Goku with GT characteristics" idea for a while now. I still need to do one for Master Chief but that'll be another day.

I'd be thrilled if any version of Goku got into Smash as a, if not THE major exception to the rule and I truly think he's worthy of that massive honor. Goku likes to fight strong opponents and would be absolutely ecstatic to have the chance to test his mettle against the prestigious cast of Super Smash Bros!

I think while the video-game character only rule is the only true rule we can rely on for this game I also think that it's definitely still subject to a potential rulebreaker that Nintendo would be willing to play someday in order to generate hype and Goku is the perfect character for the job of "4th party exception" and I think he has the video game history to back himself up on top of being a Japanese and international icon.

Goku4Smash unironically!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
that looks bad
For a work in progress, I think it’s looking really good. The animations that are farther along look smooth but you can tell a lot are still early. You can’t really hold modded movesets to the same standard as official characters. These are usually just one or two fans working during their free time as opposed to a team of highly skilled trained professionals.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For a work in progress, I think it’s looking really good. The animations that are farther along look smooth but you can tell a lot are still early. You can’t really hold modded movesets to the same standard as official characters. These are usually just one or two fans working during their free time as opposed to a team of highly skilled trained professionals.
I meant the combination of moves they chose for chibi

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here's my character concept for Goku in Smash!

First the basic introduction. My Goku will be what I call Kid Goku with GT characteristics. What does this mean? Well it means it'll be a Kid Goku with access to both eras of his respective abilities/tools. So he'll have access to Super Saiyan 1, 2 and 3, Instant Transmission, ki attacks besides Kamehameha and his tail and power pole! I'm limiting it to his most iconic transformations as opposed to his newer ones because it'd start to pile up too much to include them all and also I have a great concept for the 3 I'm using. I'm also using Kid Goku as opposed to adult Goku because first I believe he fits better into Smash that way, second it grants him access to his powerpole and tail and finally it's how he appeared first in the manga AND in his first video game. Also it'll give him a major weakness which will be his weight and the reach of his limb-based physical attacks.

Goku will be auto-locked to his opponents because it's Sakurai and I guess he does that now with fighting game characters which is what I'll consider Goku for this concept.

Goku will enter the stage on his Nimbus cloud.

The Specials:

Shield-Special: Ki-Charge

Goku's Shield-Special will be a simple ki-charge. It's very self-explanatory but I'll do my best nonetheless. Goku flexes both of his arms and assumes a "ready position" while vociferously exclaiming "AAAAAAAAAAH" which creates a sharp and rising aura around him that causes his clothes and hair to wave around as if they were being blown by a strong gust of wind. Doing this will fill Goku's Ki-Bar.

Filling Goku's Ki-Bar will grant him access to Super Saiyan. The Ki-Bar overlaps 3 times for each successive transformation. Base form to Super Saiyan 1 is colored blue on the ki-bar and once Super Saiyan 1 is reached the ki-bar will turn gold. Super Saiyan 2 will cause the ki bar to become gold with lightning around it and Super Saiyan 3 will cause the ki-bar to become sparkling gold with lightning around it.

When reaching Super Saiyan 1 and 2 you'll start out at 25% of a full bar and while that should help you the strain on Goku's body will start immediately and using any of his ki-based attacks will drain the ki that much quicker. Only two things will accumulate ki for Goku and they are landing physical attacks (which is mostly a function of making his character implementation work in the game but is also a slight reference to how Saiyans get stronger as they fight) and using the Shield-Special to Ki-Charge. The strain of the transformations will slow down the charge accordingly. Charging to Super Saiyan 1 takes about as long as 250% of the time it takes for Inkling ink meter to go from empty to full. Each Super Saiyan transformation after that takes 50% extra longer than that so 300% for Super Saiyan 2 and 350% for Super Saiyan 3. Each successive transformation will up the strain on body increasing the rate of passive ki loss by 25% each after regular Super Saiyan 1. By the time you hit Super Saiyan 3 it'll be almost a fool's errand to be charging your ki at that point. You'll recover some but it'll be very slow and it's not like the opponent is just gonna sit there and let you power up amirite or amirite? ;)

One major remedy to this is that Super Saiyan 3 starts out at 100% full ki-charge as opposed to the 25% for Super Saiyan 1 and 2. When Goku runs out of his Super Saiyan 3 Ki-Bar he falls back into base-form.

The Super Saiyan transformations will buff Goku by raising (or lowering if it's more beneficial) all his attributes and the damage of his attacks according to the level of transformation. It'll also give him access to a different Neutral-Special that I'll get into next.

Goku CAN use his ki-based attacks when his ki-bar is at absolute zero. The only thing affected by the meter is his Super Saiyan transformations. His ki-based attack simply speeds up the drain back down to base form.

Base-Form Neutral-Special: Spirit Bomb
Goku charges a spirit-bomb for his Neutral-Special while in his base form. He'll of course have his iconic voice clip of "Please lend me your energy" while he's doing it as he raises both his hands up to gather the Genki. When it's fully charged Goku's hand glows blue or white with an aura visually indicating that the spirit-bomb is fully charged. This spirit bomb isn't giant like we're used to. No it's more similar to the one Krillin threw at Vegeta during the Saiyan arc. Its trajectory can also be manipulated by the control stick for a brief moment after launch just like Pit's Arrows. It'll take about 200% as long as Samus' Neutral-Special but just like that one Goku can charge it in bits and pieces. It won't be twice as strong but maybe about 150% as strong?

One of the major benefits to this though is going to be for his Super Saiyan transformations because if Goku has a fully charged spirit-bomb loaded before transforming into Super Saiyan 1 he'll cash it in and in doing so will start at 50% of maximum ki-bar for Super Saiyan 1 instead of 25%. This gimmick is only applicable when going from base-form to Super Saiyan 1.

All Super Saiyan transformation Neutral-Special: Dragon Fist
Goku's Neutral-Special in all of his Super Saiyan transformations will be Dragon Fist. It'll be a lot like Sephiroth's Up-Special. When initially activated Goku will say "Dragon..." audibly quieter than when he finishes the attack with a resounding "FIST!!!!!" and this process will take about as long as Captain Falcon's iconic Falcon Punch. During the charge-up Goku will be able to aim his Dragon Fist just like Sephiroth's Up-Special does. If Goku aims the attack into the air or offstage or whatever he'll be put into a falling state. It can travel about 50% as far as Ike's fully-charged Side-Special. It's a great recovery mix-up but I ain't giving him Sora's double recovery gimmick.

Up-Special: Instant Transmission
For Goku's Up-Special he'll receive instant transmission. Goku brings his pointer and middle fingers to his forehead as he does this move. It'll function very similarly to other teleports in the game already like Mewtwo's and Palutenia's. Just like those moves he'll be able to use it on the ground and move it horizontally around with it. I'm giving it an extra gimmick though... Goku's instant transmission will also be a counter! Yep pretty crazy I know. There'll be a counter that's active from about the 25%-75% portion of the attack animation and even getting hit with a projectile will set it off. Whoever attacked Goku during this timeframe will be met with Goku immediately teleporting to them and doing a sweeping aerial kick if they're on the ground and if they're in the air Goku will do a double axe-handled punch towards the floor and it'll spike! The opponent can't do anything to stop this just like a regular counter and if Goku activates the counter he won't be put into a falling state and will be allowed to Up-Special again immediately after the counter is over.

Forward-Special: Kamehameha
Of course it's here. There was literally nothing else that could have been here! Goku's Side-Special is his most iconic attack the Kamehameha wave of the turtle school! There isn't much to say but Goku can't store this attack like his spirit-bomb. It'll work a lot like Hero's side-special in that it has 3 forms (those being weak, medium and strong variants) while of course having more range and being a projectile-based attack as opposed to attacks physical attack with lightning enhancement.

For the weak variant Goku will start by saying "Kame" and should the player let go of the Side-Special input he'll immediately proclaim "ha!". For the medium variant Goku will again start with a "Kame" and then proceed to say "haaaaaa" in contrast with the first portion of the namesake being a quick incantation this "haaaaaa" will be elongated somewhat by Goku audibly signally to the players that he is dramatically powering up his energy gathering. Should the player let go of the Side-Special input then Goku will of course finish with a slightly stronger "HAaaaa". Finally for the stronger variant Goku will do the usual "Kame" then proceed with a "haaaaaaaa" and then a "meeeeeeee" and finish with a roaring "HAAAAAAA!!!". Each of these attacks will successively do more damage than the previous variation and their hitbox will be widened as well. Though the stronger the Kamehameha the more ki it'll drain from Goku's Ki-Bar so that's important to keep in mind. This strong variant of this move will be a very popular if not the best option to go to in the event of a shield-break.

Also the blast diminishes in size and power (damage) as it travels hence why a fully charged up-close Kamehameha is just that much better.

Back-Special: Command Grab Punch
I don't know what to call this one but it's the move he used on Mercenary Tao and I consider kind of an iconic attack from his OG Dragon Ball days. It's straight-up reskinned from Diddy Kong's command grab with Goku flip lunge forward towards the opponent and should it connect Goku with grab onto the opponent's upper body area and like Diddy's Side-Special will automatically start punching the enemy's face. These punches will be weaker punches compared when the player inputting the necessary Jab-input to finish the command-grab (just like how Diddy's strong attack for his command-grab works) which will have Goku jump off the opponent's body and kick them square in the face! I'll leave a timestamped visual reference for this one. This will be Goku's one special attack that doesn't drain his Ki. It in fact will grant him some like all his over physical attacks. This can actually be used to help his recovery a little just like Diddy Kong's (also like Terry's Back-Special) so he won't get back into a fall state after using this.

Visual-Reference https://youtu.be/lSJsQG5Osv4?t=136

Down-Special: Kienzan or Destruco Disk
For Goku's Down-Special he'll do a Kienzan! Goku can do this in the anime and so he'll do it in Smash even though it's more associated with Krillin than Goku. It's basically another ki-projectile-based attack but I'm giving it a special property. It'll be a combination of Kazuya's static paralysis effect coupled with the dramatic camera close up and slicing sound effect of Ridley's Down-Special! When the attack connects the camera will do the close-up and slicing sound effect as it puts the opponent immediately in a short paralysis (like Kazuya's electric punches) and then into a knocked-down state just like Ridley's does. I think this is the best way to represent the attack under the parameters of Smash.

The Normal Attacks:

Jab: Rock-Paper-Scissors
Goku's jab will be a 3 hit combo jab and it's his Rock-Paper-Scissors attack. Not much else to say really because. Tap the jab-input 3 times and you'll go through the routine. I'll leave a video visual reference.
Visual reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4N9vKAjUMc

Dash-Attack: Super Dash Headbutt
Goku's dash attack will be a Dragon Rush headbutting attack. Goku will propel himself head-first forward with a bright ki encircling around him. It's a combination reference to the Super Dash mechanic of Dragon Ball FighterZ and Goku's headbutt constantly be referred to in the manga/anime as an unusually strong attack with characters constantly asking what Goku's head is
made of.

Here is a visual reference to the Super Dash mechanic. It's the Frieza player utilizing the move. Goku's aura will be white when he's in his base form and golden wherever he's in any of his Super Saiyan transformations.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/sDnmaOQNATg?t=7

Side-Tilt: Powerpole Poke
For Goku's Side-Tilt he'll poke the powerpole forward. When he does this attack he moves forward a little bit. When Goku uses his powerpole it's already automatically a fair amount extended but if the player holds the input (think Ryu/Ken's heavy inputs) he'll say "Powerpole extend!" causing the range to increase by about 25-30%! The trade-off is the increased end lag on the move coupled with the extra animation time for the attack it commits the player to though.

Here's a visual reference: https://youtu.be/gXBSJ2-Nno8?t=82

Up-Tilt: Powerpole Helicopter Spin
Goku's Up-Tilt will have him spin his powerpole above his head like a helicopter propeller. It's exactly like Sora's Up-Tilt and holding the input will again cause Goku to say "Powerpole extend!" causing the hit box to increase about 25-30% increasing the move's horizontal range of attack. Again the trade-off is the increased end-lag coupled with the extended animation of attack to account for the extra time needed for the powerpole to revert to normal side THEN be put away again whereas Goku would more immediately put it away after doing the normal unextended variant.

I'll use Brawlfan1's Goku video for a visual reference but keep in mind Brawlfan1 is using this attack as his Up-Smash whereas I'm using this attack as Goku's Up-Tilt.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=300

Down-Tilt: Tail-Swipe
I told ya'll I'd include his tail into the moveset! Goku's Down-Tilt will be a sweeping tail swipe. Goku will quickly turnaround opposite to whatever direction he was facing before inputting the Down-Tilt and swipe his tail low to the ground. As he's doing it he'll close his eyes and give a big cheeky smile and an equally cheeky giggle with a "hehe!" kind of like this ^_^ or whatever. It'll have the highest chance to trip opponents of any Down-Tilt and be a great 2-framer at the ledge but it'll be one of his weakest attacks. Low start and end lag though.

Side-Smash: Ki-Blast-Barrage

Goku's Side-Smash will be Ki-Blast-Barrage. It'll be a lot like Megaman's Side-Smash with the main difference being that the more Goku's Side-Smash is charged the more ki-blasts he fires whereas Megaman's one blast gets bigger the more he charges his. Similar to Megaman's Side-Smash though the more Goku charges his Side-Smash the further his Ki-blasts go. A quick uncharged Side-Smash will have Goku shoot one singular ki-blast that goes about as far as Megaman's uncharged Side-Smash. The amount of ki-blasts will depend on the charge with the fully charged variant having Goku firing 5 ki-blast. Anything less than the charged variant will have Goku say "here!" but if it's fully charged Goku will say "dadadadada!" with one "da" for each ki-blast. Also this Smash attack like all other ki-based attacks will drain Goku's Ki-meter.

Here's a very humorous visual reference of MANY characters in Dragon Ball doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn2bELLJqpU

Up-Smash: Vertical Powerpole Scoop
For his Up-Smash Goku will scoop his Powerpole from low to high and the longer he charges the Smash the more range his powerpole will have. Brawlfan1 has the attack here in his video on Goku's potential moveset but has it for his Up-Tilt. I'm going to instead make it his Up-Smash. It's very similar to Cloud's Up-Smash.

Visual reference with timestamp: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=265

Down-Smash: Low Powerpole Spin
This attack I'm lifting straight from Brawlfan1's Goku video exactly. Goku does a low angled spin around with his powerpole and again the more Goku charges this Smash attack the extended range his powerpole will get. Between a 25-30% increase like all of his other extended range powerpole variants.

Visual reference here: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=311

Neutral-Air: Underhook Kick
Goku's Neutral-Air is a quick underhook kick. I'm lifting it straight from Brawlfan1's video. Goku basically just kicks upward while in the air. Just a basic martial artist kind of move.

Visual Reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=321

Forward-Air: Powerpole Chop
Goku's Forward-Air will be his original powerpole attack. Goku will swing his powerpole from above his head then downward with a chopping strike. Note that any aerial attack utilizing his powerpole will not have extended variants.

Here's a visual reference from Brawlfan1's video: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=321
Here's a visual reference from the anime: https://youtu.be/lW0o1wIGrBc?t=85

Up-Air: Uppercut
Goku's Up-Air is a powerful uppercut punch. It's just as simple as that. It doesn't have nearly as much range as his other moves but it packs a wallop when it connects. When Goku does it he says "This is everything I've got!". The move kind of serves as a reference to the punch he did to defeat King Piccolo hence the voice line slightly referencing it.

Back-Air: Backward Elbow Strike
For Goku's Back-Air he'll do a backwards elbow strike. Goku takes the opposite hand of the one he's going to use elbow strike and uses it (the opposite hand that's not elbowing striking) to help push the elbow-strike giving it some extra force. Again it does have much range but it hurts to get hit by this. Can you imagine getting elbow-striked by a Super Saiyan 3 Goku? Ouch.

Down-Air: Powerpole Pogo
For Goku's Down-Air he'll do his powerpole pogo attack from FighterZ. This will Down-Air will be a typical locked momentum and trajectory Down-Air like Sephiroth's and Banjo's Down-Airs. Basically Goku launches himself downward using his powerpole like a pogo stick. Again like his Forward-Air this will NOT have an extended variant.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/gXBSJ2-Nno8?t=141

The Grabs and Throws:

Pummel: Headbutt
Goku's Pummel will be a simple headbutt attack.

Forward-Throw: Kick-barrage/Headbutt
Lifting from Brawlfan's video. It's a move from Ultimate Tenkaichi 3. Goku spins around like a helicopter propeller unleashing a barrage of kicks in the process and then headbutts the opponent away.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=365

Back-Throw: Powerpole throw
Again taking this from Brawlfan's video. Goku latches the opponent onto his powerpole and then vaults them backward quickly turning around in the process.

Visual Reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=375

Up-Throw: Double-Fist Slammer
This throw I came up with on my own. Goku throws his opponent into the air and then immediately flies upward with both of his fist extended and slams into them with all the force of his flight launching them upward even further. It's a reference to the attack he used to break Nappa's back.

I'll leave a visual reference but it's extremely quick though (it's supposed to be that way to indicate his power burst from using the kaioken) so you might want to slow down the video some to see it a bit better.

Anyways Visual Reference: https://youtu.be/TAi_oG70L2I?t=36

Down-Throw: Piledriver
I'm lifting from Brawlfan's video for this last one. He mistakenly calls this move a suplex but it's actually a piledriver. It'll be a lot like ROB's Up-Throw. Goku will fly upward with his opponent then flip them upside down and fly back into the ground. I'll leave a visual reference of Goku doing it from Brawlfan's video but just think of ROB's Up-Throw and you got it.

Visual Reference: https://youtu.be/JStlz94OVTk?t=402

Get-Up-Attacks:

Backward-Get-Up-Attack:
Goku will kick himself back onto his feet and quickly elbow behind himself.

Forward-Get-Up-Attack:
Goku will get on his hands just as he does a 360 degree sweeping kick around himself getting back onto his feet once it's done.

Tripped-Get-Up-Attack:
Goku will spin on the back of his torso rotating his extended feet then flip backwards onto his feet just as he crosses his arms and then he'll uncross them in order to extend each at both his sides unleashing a Kiai (kind of like a wind blast from the force of his power) at both his sides. It's a reference to that iconic little breakdance bit he did against Jeice and Burter. It's sometimes referred to as "Goku time" in a cheeky reference to MC Hammer's "Hammer time".

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/Eov2wy1SZGU?t=1

Ledge-Get-Up-Attack:
Goku will climb back onto the stage and poke his power forward just like Sora's Ledge-Get-Up-Attack.

The Final Smash:
Goku's Final Smash will be one I came up with. It's a cinematic Final Smash. Goku will lunge punch forward and should it connect the opponent will get knocked into a wasteland. Goku will look up and say "Huh?" and dramatically we'll see a full moon with the Dragon Ball sound effect indicating that this is a dramatic event! Goku will turn into a great Oozaru ape! and attack the opponent on the ground. The opponent will always dodge this incoming attack by jumping upward. Oozaru Goku will ROAR extremely loud at them unleashing a mouth cannon ki blast directly at them that they will not dodge this time! This blast will decimate them brutally (for effect not actually taking a stock or anything) and will destroy the full moon directly behind them in the process and thus reverting Goku back into his normal kid form with his clothes magically conjured back together.

A fun little effect is that the great ape form will correspond with Goku's current transformation or lack thereof. So base will be a brown great ape, Super Saiyan 1 will be a golden great ape, Super Saiyan 2 will be a golden great ape with jagged fur sticking up and Super Saiyan 3 will have that lush Super Saiyan 3 mane attached to it.

Here are the visual references. Ignore Majin Vegeta being my example for Super Saiyan 2. It was the only reference I could get.

Base-Form: https://www.deviantart.com/maxiuchiha22/art/Great-Ape-render-Awakening-820405178

Super Saiyan 1: https://www.deviantart.com/maxiuchiha22/art/Golden-Great-Ape-render-2-SDBH-World-Mission-820144423

Super Saiyan 2: https://www.deviantart.com/greytonano/art/Oozaru-Majin-Vegeta-712531428

Super Saiyan 3: https://www.deviantart.com/greytonano/art/Oozaru-SSJ3-Goku-713321054

The Taunts:

Up-Taunt:
Goku will pull Master Roshi's glasses out of his pocket put them on and then flash a peace sign with a smile. Goku will says "See? hehe" when he does it. This is a reference to how he managed to get around Tien's solar flare at the tournament where they fought against each other for the first time.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/UbFNYw1hOMw?t=707

Side-Taunt:
Goku does the Monkey dance he did with Master Roshi at his first tournament. He'll giggle and laugh throughout it. It's a long extended Bayonetta dance type taunt that can be canceled at any time and I know they ruined taunts in Ultimate for some reason but I'm operating under the assumption that they fix that mistake.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/ZdAfUrAcPL4?t=46

Down-Taunt:
Goku will get on both knees, close his eyes, and assumes a meditating position. This is a reference to his training with Popo.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/rcyVSar_dlg?t=13

The Victory Screens:
All of Goku's victory screens will have him revert to his base form.

1st one will be Goku chowing down on a feast and then falling on his back with a very satisfied expression on his face.

2nd one will have Goku doing the routine of karate poses as shown here: https://youtu.be/4GIrndy-iE0?t=50
He'll say something along like the lines of "Great fight! Let's do it again sometime okay?" and he'll have a more confident serious smirk on his face at the end.

3rd will have Goku will be on one hand and then flip back onto his feet only to proceed to jump high into the air and extend all of his limbs outward in a joyous fashion and proclaim loudly "I'M THE CHAMPION!!!!!" which is a reference to when he won the World Martial Arts Tournament.

Visual reference: https://youtu.be/l4tQ0V7n4ME?t=1598

The victory fanfare will be the episode title theme for original Dragon Ball episodes.

Audio reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa5m99ogjek

The Alts:
Note each link will have a corresponding visual reference and I can't find a kid Goku variant for outfit 7. Number 1 is the default of course.

1. Goku's main orange turtle school gi: https://www.deviantart.com/maffo1989/art/kid-goku-255539902

2. Goku's end of Z blue outfit: https://www.deviantart.com/hsvhrt/art/Kid-Goku-End-Of-Z-683111555

3. Goku's stolen clothes from Shu outfit: https://www.deviantart.com/maxiuchiha22/art/Kid-Goku-Shu-s-clothes-render-Dokkan-Battle-786145991

4. Goku's shirtless with Oolong overalls outfit: https://www.deviantart.com/superjmanplay2/art/Dragon-Ball-Kid-Goku-45-784044586

5. Goku's original purple gi outright: https://www.deviantart.com/dbzataricommunity/art/Kid-Goku-76257479

6. Goku's Saiyan armor landing on Earth: https://www.deviantart.com/songoku048/art/Kid-Kakarotto-Goku-Dbs-Broly-Artwork-770542423

7. Goku with his Yardrat clothes: https://www.deviantart.com/maxiuchiha22/art/Goku-Yardrat-Clothes-card-Bucchigiri-Match-783739453

8. Goku with his Tiger dress: https://twitter.com/herms98/status/1000800020512165889

The Stage:
It'll of course be the World Martial Arts Tournament arena. It'll basically be a lot like any old flat stage. Maybe it might come with a gimmick where like Palutena's guidance and Snake's codecs the Tournament announcer guy will describe all the characters in Smash. And while in the knocked down state the tournament announcer could start a 10 count but it'll never get to 10 as it's simply just for show to add to the atmosphere. The grass will be considered a blast zone so no touching! I think it's a cute little concept for the stage.

Conclusion:
Well there it is! I'll probably edit this post a fair amount but this is the extent of my moveset design for Goku in Smash. I appreciate anybody taking the time to read this or even just part of it or whatever. I like what I came up with and I've been meaning to do one for my "Kid Goku with GT characteristics" idea for a while now. I still need to do one for Master Chief but that'll be another day.

I'd be thrilled if any version of Goku got into Smash as a, if not THE major exception to the rule and I truly think he's worthy of that massive honor. Goku likes to fight strong opponents and would be absolutely ecstatic to have the chance to test his mettle against the prestigious cast of Super Smash Bros!

I think while the video-game character only rule is the only true rule we can rely on for this game I also think that it's definitely still subject to a potential rulebreaker that Nintendo would be willing to play someday in order to generate hype and Goku is the perfect character for the job of "4th party exception" and I think he has the video game history to back himself up on top of being a Japanese and international icon.

Goku4Smash unironically!
I’ve never really watched Dragon Ball so I can’t speak too much to the accuracy of the moveset but I will say that this is really well thought out and written. The Ki charge, Spirit Bomb, and Kamehameha are iconic enough that I know them all despite never watching the show. This was a lot of fun to read. I love making custom movesets for my favorite characters and imagining what they could be like if they made it into Smash one day.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
In addition to the next game of the Super Smash Bros. series, I would like a spin-off of series, to be precise a tactical role-playing genre so that there are more characters.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hey, little kid.
That duology doesn't include playable Scrimblo Bimblos.
Yeah. So?

Unrelated, but did anybody see the new Indie World? Apparently, it wasn't that good, but we're getting a Switch port of OneShot, and I know at least one person on this site wants Niko in Smash...

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I’ve never really watched Dragon Ball so I can’t speak too much to the accuracy of the moveset but I will say that this is really well thought out and written. The Ki charge, Spirit Bomb, and Kamehameha are iconic enough that I know them all despite never watching the show. This was a lot of fun to read. I love making custom movesets for my favorite characters and imagining what they could be like if they made it into Smash one day.
I appreciate that. I notice you were the first to like it in its heavily fresh phase which is especially nice of you to say because like all my other big posts it was quite atrocious when it was initially posted. I think I have it where I like it now. I included better more thorough descriptions and more visual references.

Thanks for replying with your thoughts about too! I just like to think how it could potentially work and if I was a game designer for Smash, what choices I would make to fit the character into the game.

He's a cool hybrid between typical shoto, swordfighter and zoner with a transformation gimmick that acts as resource management that is directly tied to his zoning capabilities. He packs a major punch/swing, especially when transformed and yet is still a lightweight paper tiger with limited reach outside of his ki blasts and powerpole. I also really like the teleport/counter idea I came up with too!

I'd be extremely happy with this representation because of course I would be since I came up with it but I still think I did a good job nonetheless.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With the Indie Direct done, we're in an interesting period for general Nintendo speculation now. Technically, Nintendo's under no scheduling pressure to do a general presentation next month given the end of E3, but given that they've increasingly moved away from strong association with that event over the years anyway, it does seem likely they'll put something out. There's also the various x-factor questions; will there be a Zelda game to continue the streak of a LoZ release every year? What's the status of Metroid Prime 4 (and even remakes of 1-3)? Are there any Wii U ports left to put on Switch?

There's also an interesting query to be had about the rest of Nintendo's year:

Given the layout seen here. Is there a hypothetical gap to be filled by a title announced at E3 for release in the fall, and what would it be? I'd personally love to see another DKC title in that spot, but there's a world of possibilities for such a release.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah. So?

Unrelated, but did anybody see the new Indie World? Apparently, it wasn't that good, but we're getting a Switch port of OneShot, and I know at least one person on this site wants Niko in Smash...
i thought there was some curious looking titles. but then i do usually have the unpopular opinion

Ivander

Smash Legend
Are there any Wii U ports left to put on Switch?

Given the layout seen here. Is there a hypothetical gap to be filled by a title announced at E3 for release in the fall, and what would it be? I'd personally love to see another DKC title in that spot, but there's a world of possibilities for such a release.
We still don't have a port of Nintendo Land, Star Fox Zero and Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Switch.
---
Geez, poor Advance Wars. Like we know the game is done, but man, the timing in relations to real world events really screwed it over. It's difficult to say where it's future is, especially if real world events keep getting worse.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Call it unearned optimism, but I think Xenoblade X is a question of when, not if (though I can't rule out it being a remake/port on the next console either). SF0 seems less likely, given the dependence on the Gamepad and the game's general unpopularity even among the hardcore SF fanbase.

I'd love for Woolly World to get a Switch port if just because a non 3DS version of that deserves a bigger audience, but that's a stretch realistically.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
With the Indie Direct done, we're in an interesting period for general Nintendo speculation now. Technically, Nintendo's under no scheduling pressure to do a general presentation next month given the end of E3, but given that they've increasingly moved away from strong association with that event over the years anyway, it does seem likely they'll put something out. There's also the various x-factor questions; will there be a Zelda game to continue the streak of a LoZ release every year? What's the status of Metroid Prime 4 (and even remakes of 1-3)? Are there any Wii U ports left to put on Switch?

FWIW, the people who worked on Star Fox Zero wanna see it ported, though that doesn't guarantee anything...

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I think it could very easily be another Zelda game - specifically a 2D one. I think now is a bit too soon to re-release WWHD and TPHD (SSHD is less than a year old), but Link's Awakening was released in 2019 - that's enough time for Grezzo to make a new 2D Zelda (I don't think their whole team was working on Miitopia). I'm not entirely sure what that game could be, but I think an interesting idea would be to let them make the unreleased third Oracle game - it would be easy to re-use a lot of the assets from Link's Awakening, and would give them an opportunity to experiment with creating new content. They could also remake one of the DS games or ALBW, less intensive but also less interesting.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd be down for a full-blown remake of the Oracle titles, given that in my estimation they're even stronger than Link's Awakening was.

Something I also just realized when thinking about the Zelda release streak is that Nintendo has also put out a first party platformer every year of the Switch, and that's not even counting Yoshi or Kirby.

2017: Super Mario Odyssey
2018: DKC Tropical Freeze
2019: NSMBU Deluxe & Mario Maker 2
2020: Super Mario 3D All Stars
2021: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Curious to see if 2022 will continue that pattern.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Curious if there is a healer playable character would it be broken?
What I mean by that is someone who can camp and heal himself or create an area that would heal him
I feel like it would have to be something like Ness or Lucas's PSI Magnet or Robin's Nosferatu, where the user would need to be actively involved in the fighting in order to heal any damage. Letting someone camp and heal indefinitely seems like it would be broken, especially on stages like Great Cave Offensive, Temple, or New Pork City.

Either that, or it could be based around a very limited resource that only gets restored if the player of that character loses a stock, similar to how Wonderwing works.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel like it would have to be something like Ness or Lucas's PSI Magnet or Robin's Nosferatu, where the user would need to be actively involved in the fighting in order to heal any damage. Letting someone camp and heal indefinitely seems like it would be broken, especially on stages like Great Cave Offensive, Temple, or New Pork City.

Either that, or it could be based around a very limited resource that only gets restored if the player of that character loses a stock, similar to how Wonderwing works.
One idea that I had that I think could be really cool for a healer character is Raziel from Soul Reaver. For those that have never played the game, Raziel was a vampire who was killed by his master and resurrected in the underworld as a wraith. As a wraith, he is cursed to constantly lose health. In the game, he can regain his health by killing enemies and absorbing their souls. In Smash, his attacks could all just drain all small percentage of health as a trade off for having a constant much weaker poison effect on himself. I’m not sure if that would translate to fun competitive gameplay due to encouraging his opponents to run away but it would definitely be unique.

Illidan Stormrage from WarCraft is another character who would have a draining effect to his attacks but without the drawback of constantly losing health like Raziel. He would need some other kind of drawback to offset this, like possibly being very light weight like Sephiroth.

The last idea I had was a transform style character of Alphen and Shionne from Tales of Arise. Alphen would be a powerful close range fighter with several attacks that can be powered up by dealing recoil damage to himself. Shionne would be a ranged gunner and mage with a healing spell (Healing Circle) similar to the Healing Field item which can heal herself and her teammates, but at a slower rate than the item and with a cooldown for balance.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
In addition to the next game of the Super Smash Bros. series, I would like a spin-off of series, to be precise a tactical role-playing genre so that there are more characters.
And put Gilliam as a playable character so it's in-canon to the Bandai Namco crossover videogame multiverse.

Hey, little kid.
That duology doesn't include playable Scrimblo Bimblos.
The first game in the trilogy had Klonoa.

I wish he stuck around.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Curious if there is a healer playable character would it be broken?
What I mean by that is someone who can camp and heal himself or create an area that would heal him
It would be very hard to balance something like this. It's a fine line between the healing being useless (which i would say most of the healing in Smash is) and it being overpowered. PMEX has a few characters with self-healing (Ivysaur and Black Knight are the ones I can remember), and while I don't think they're particularly broken I don't follow the game's competitive scene so I can't say for sure.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

So that person was full of it? Good to know.
It's very depressing that twitter still seems to exist in the afterlife. These people are supposed to be at peace.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd be down for a full-blown remake of the Oracle titles, given that in my estimation they're even stronger than Link's Awakening was.

Something I also just realized when thinking about the Zelda release streak is that Nintendo has also put out a first party platformer every year of the Switch, and that's not even counting Yoshi or Kirby.

2017: Super Mario Odyssey
2018: DKC Tropical Freeze
2019: NSMBU Deluxe & Mario Maker 2
2020: Super Mario 3D All Stars
2021: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Curious to see if 2022 will continue that pattern.
well why not count kirby and yoshi? particularly the kirby that came out this year

Top Bottom