• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think Bandana Dee's use of the spear alone makes him distinct, especially depending on how quick they make him. I'm certainly not going to object to other Kirby characters popping up, but his moves in Return to Dream Land alone convinced me that there was something worthwhile there for Smash to utilize, let alone Star Allies and now this newest game.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Bandana Dee has been a much more reoccuring character than whatever Kirby character you like and he's also been going up the ranks, now becoming the Luigi of perhaps the biggest and most ambitious Kirby game HAL has made.

I've never been a huge fan of his, but he is absolutely next in line for a new Kirby character, unless Sakurai really is that spiteful towards the games he didn't make and instead puts in Marx lmao

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
The marketing aspect is a very good point when it comes to the popularity of waddle Dees as a whole, thus making Bdee have more widespread appeal. Also, would this be the first Kirby character without many jumps?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The marketing aspect is a very good point when it comes to the popularity of waddle Dees as a whole, thus making Bdee have more widespread appeal. Also, would this be the first Kirby character without many jumps?
Would probably depend on whether or not they were including the Waddle Copter:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Shouldn't that just be his Up B? I mean, I imagine it would work similarly to how Dixie Kong and Tails from Sonic would "recover" in Smash.

The Parasol is also a move they could use for a Up B of course. Am no expert of Waddle Dees that wear bandanas , but I've seen a couple of fan movesets during the Smash 4 and Ultimate speculation.

There's potential for Bandana Dee to maybe borrow the F and B Airs of Byleth too. I think he'll be a pretty interesting character, would definitely play him more than the other Kirby fighters.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Shouldn't that just be his Up B? I mean, I imagine it would work similarly to how Dixie Kong and Tails from Sonic would "recover" in Smash.

The Parasol is also a move they could use for a Up B of course. Am no expert of Waddle Dees that wear bandanas , but I've seen a couple of fan movesets during the Smash 4 and Ultimate speculation.

There's potential for Bandana Dee to maybe borrow the F and B Airs of Byleth too. I think he'll be a pretty interesting character, would definitely play him more than the other Kirby fighters.
I assume BWD would also have some beam attacks to represent the super similar Waddle Doos.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It will be interesting to see how much other new titles (specifically first party releases) will ramp up speculation again.

Guarantee you if a new DK game pops up, and Dixie's playable, the same thing will happen with her that we've seen with BWD.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It will be interesting to see how much other new titles (specifically first party releases) will ramp up speculation again.

Guarantee you if a new DK game pops up, and Dixie's playable, the same thing will happen with her that we've seen with BWD.
The only game am certain of is gonna effect the next Smash is the sequel to Breath of the Wild. At the very least, I do expect Zelda to have some moveset differences due to this game. Newcomers I can't tell yet of course.

Dixie would be nice but there's no excuse of them not noticing her before with Smash 4 and Ultimate, all due to the same game, DKC Tropical Freeze. Most weirdly overlooked game in Smash I feel.

Aligo

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, quickplay is infested with Bandanna Dees stalling at ledge and spamming spear throw. Ice climbers have a tether grab, Sonic still has a bad moveset, and fire emblem died out in the 2000s with the slots being replaced with with the baby versions of mario characters.

SKX31

Smash Master
I get the feeling that these are a lot of issues that a Switch successor could potentially resolve. However, could the performance still be an issue depending on how much they update the graphics?

The issue of updating graphics has come up a few times in the discussion for keeping Everyone Is Here, but I figure I'll ask, in everyone's honest opinion, should graphics even be an issue going forward? I personally wanna say it's not, but looking back, I honestly thought the graphics in Melee were good enough (which seems silly now, but at the time, the 3D that the GameCube was capable of handling felt like quite the massive leap from the N64's severely low poly-counts). Still, there should eventually come a point, if we're not there already, where graphics overall have seriously plateau'd and more emphasis should be put on performance. In fact, it's pretty much the reason Nintendo stopped focusing on graphical superiority in the first place way back with the Wii. Of course, several shortcomings have been cropping up with the Switch, though I guess part of that is due to the fact that it seems less like an upgraded WiiU and more like an updated 3DS that just happened to barely surpass the WiiU in capabilities.
Really difficult to say - then again, upgrading from HD to 4K / 8K territory might not be in Nintendo's best interests for the next console generation. If they wanted they could work up to 1440p (the middle ground between HD / 4K) and go from there really. Not a huge jump, but it would still be rather noticeable on a large TV. If Nintendo decides that not enough people have 4K / 8K TVs to begin with, they're in a similar situation as they were in during the Wii era - when HD TVs were publicly sold, but were not yet in enough peoples' homes for Nintendo to feel confident. So I could honestly see a situation where they don't upgrade the graphics that much but instead focus a bit more on performance.

Up untill today I still think having Sheik as a separate character just is weird. I get it now, with Everyone Is Here, but it was very weird in Smash 4. It was also weird in Brawl to see Twilight Princess Zelda transform into Sheik. Both don't make much sense.
I'm not entirely sure why they had Brawl Zelda transform into Sheik, might be due to Sheik's relative popularity back in Melee + some of their aspects not working as intended and them wanting to fix that with Brawl. Lets look at Sheik's Melee Adventure trophy:

Strategically switching between Zelda and Sheik is key. Compared to her Zelda form, Sheik is nimble and has gorgeous moves, but she lacks a strong knockout attack. The number of needles thrown in Needle Storm is based on how long you hold the B Button before releasing it. Use the Control Stick to wave the Chain after brandishing it.
The intent with the design was to have Sheik be the :ultmythra: of the couple and Zelda be the :ultpyra: (to simplify). Which makes quite a lot of sense on an intuitive level - but could pose some design problems if they were to implement Toon Zelda and include Tetra / Toon Sheik (might've been a key reason why she was dropped).

The main problem with that though is that Sheik / Zelda are diametrically opposed: a person who does intuitively well with Sheik or Zelda is not likely to do well at all with the other since their strengths require effectively two different mindsets. Also, this:

she lacks a strong knockout attack
Turned out to not be the case in Melee (likely due to time constraints meaning they couldn't entirely playtest), which severely undermined Zelda or the need to transform: Sheik's F-Air is an infamous test case since it was a semi-spike bitchslap of death. Sakurai and co. intentionally nerfed it in Brawl, then repurposed it entirely into a combo move by the time 4 came around (in favor of introducing Bouncing Fish and turning the Smash attacks into the kill moves).

Didn't help that Melee / Brawl Zelda and Brawl PT had some character-specific jank that harmed them: Zelda's incredibly unreliable finishers in Melee and Brawl - an area she was supposed to excel in according to her Melee trophies - Sheik likewise had that same weakness in Brawl, Ivysaur's weakness to fire in Brawl, character swap being slow in Melee and incredibly slow in Brawl.

Think that decision to split Sheik from Zelda came around because it's really difficult to design a transforming character in a way to encourage people to actually switch between the forms and not just stick with one over the other. Now this is not a Smash-exclusive problem in the slightest, but it is relevant to Smash since 4 was also the game where Zard went solo and PT was nowhere to be seen. So I'm feeling decently confident saying that's one reason. And it wasn't until Ultimate where they found solutions that would at least minimize the problem.
While no solution is ever going to be perfect, I should take this moment to commend Sakurai and co. on how they handled :ultpokemontrainer: and :ultpyra: / :ultmythra: in this regard. Those designs make sure to actively encourage switching because the character strengths / weaknesses are consequential yet not overbearing: PT allieviates possible barriers by having some overlapping strengths (Ivy and Zard can both kill reliably, Squirtle and Zard can react very well to opponents' actions, Squirtle and Ivy have both good grabs and advantage), Aegis have the least barriers due to being semi-clones, Sure, there are and will be people that stick to one form, but still.

That doesn't look too much different from say :ultmetaknight: 's Mach Tornado - which travels a lot horizontally and can get some vertical distance via mashing, but renders him helpless after and can bounce off of edges if one is not careful - so it should be fine. Sure, it has quite a lot of coverage and could be difficult to intercept (except from the side, akin to K Rool's Copter) but I could certainly see BWD having multiple midair jumps + the Copter.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Really difficult to say - then again, upgrading from HD to 4K / 8K territory might not be in Nintendo's best interests for the next console generation. If they wanted they could work up to 1440p (the middle ground between HD / 4K) and go from there really. Not a huge jump, but it would still be rather noticeable on a large TV. If Nintendo decides that not enough people have 4K / 8K TVs to begin with, they're in a similar situation as they were in during the Wii era - when HD TVs were publicly sold, but were not yet in enough peoples' homes for Nintendo to feel confident. So I could honestly see a situation where they don't upgrade the graphics that much but instead focus a bit more on performance.

I'm not entirely sure why they had Brawl Zelda transform into Sheik, might be due to Sheik's relative popularity back in Melee + some of their aspects not working as intended and them wanting to fix that with Brawl. Lets look at Sheik's Melee Adventure trophy:

The intent with the design was to have Sheik be the :ultmythra: of the couple and Zelda be the :ultpyra: (to simplify). Which makes quite a lot of sense on an intuitive level - but could pose some design problems if they were to implement Toon Zelda and include Tetra / Toon Sheik (might've been a key reason why she was dropped).

The main problem with that though is that Sheik / Zelda are diametrically opposed: a person who does intuitively well with Sheik or Zelda is not likely to do well at all with the other since their strengths require effectively two different mindsets. Also, this:

Turned out to not be the case in Melee (likely due to time constraints meaning they couldn't entirely playtest), which severely undermined Zelda or the need to transform: Sheik's F-Air is an infamous test case since it was a semi-spike bitchslap of death. Sakurai and co. intentionally nerfed it in Brawl, then repurposed it entirely into a combo move by the time 4 came around (in favor of introducing Bouncing Fish and turning the Smash attacks into the kill moves).

Didn't help that Melee / Brawl Zelda and Brawl PT had some character-specific jank that harmed them: Zelda's incredibly unreliable finishers in Melee and Brawl - an area she was supposed to excel in according to her Melee trophies - Sheik likewise had that same weakness in Brawl, Ivysaur's weakness to fire in Brawl, character swap being slow in Melee and incredibly slow in Brawl.

Think that decision to split Sheik from Zelda came around because it's really difficult to design a transforming character in a way to encourage people to actually switch between the forms and not just stick with one over the other. Now this is not a Smash-exclusive problem in the slightest, but it is relevant to Smash since 4 was also the game where Zard went solo and PT was nowhere to be seen. So I'm feeling decently confident saying that's one reason. And it wasn't until Ultimate where they found solutions that would at least minimize the problem.
While no solution is ever going to be perfect, I should take this moment to commend Sakurai and co. on how they handled :ultpokemontrainer: and :ultpyra: / :ultmythra: in this regard. Those designs make sure to actively encourage switching because the character strengths / weaknesses are consequential yet not overbearing: PT allieviates possible barriers by having some overlapping strengths (Ivy and Zard can both kill reliably, Squirtle and Zard can react very well to opponents' actions, Squirtle and Ivy have both good grabs and advantage), Aegis have the least barriers due to being semi-clones, Sure, there are and will be people that stick to one form, but still.

That doesn't look too much different from say :ultmetaknight: 's Mach Tornado - which travels a lot horizontally and can get some vertical distance via mashing, but renders him helpless after and can bounce off of edges if one is not careful - so it should be fine. Sure, it has quite a lot of coverage and could be difficult to intercept (except from the side, akin to K Rool's Copter) but I could certainly see BWD having multiple midair jumps + the Copter.
Great to have this kind of indebt conversations again, always love them.

Yes you're right about Zelda and Sheik not being that great of a coupled pair as say, Pyra and Mythra are. Melee Sheik indeed was / is still a Top Tier character, with F Air being a better KO move than anything Zelda has on her except for her F and B Airs. Gotta land those first however. Could be Sheik's popularity indeed that got her back, or the fact she was planned for Twilight Princess at some point at least, which could imply a future for the character.

Anyway you're right, someone being good with Zelda intuitively isn't going to find that same dynamic with playing Sheik, and vise versa. Argument could be made for Pokemon Trainer too, but I felt that especially in Ultimate the movesets of the 3 Pokemon flow very well into each other.

Maybe it's not a truly fair comparison, as Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard are not polar opposites of each other, and there are three characters opposed to two. Ivysaur being the perfect middle ground character between the agile combo orientated Squirtle and the powerful heavy Charizard meant for prolonged battles and strong finishers.

It's just ironic that the original characters meant for this exact play style never got that synastry between their move sets. It was even more ironic for me in Smash 4, where for a while in the early stages Sheik was widely considered the best character in the game and Zelda the worst. Whilst now, Pyra and Mythra are considered the very best characters due to how great they compliment each other.

Anyway, there was a lot wrong with their design so I always predicted the characters would be split up, but I always said that Impa would take the place of a solo Sheik. Made the most sense to me.

In general, I think the Zelda roster would benefit best from a reboot in the roster. Sheik and two versions of a child Link aren't good representation of the franchise. I still sort of feel the return of Young Link cheated us out of a Zelda newcomer.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Dixie would be nice but there's no excuse of them not noticing her before with Smash 4 and Ultimate, all due to the same game, DKC Tropical Freeze. Most weirdly overlooked game in Smash I feel.
Smash 4: Sakurai planned the roster back in early 2012, right after Kid Icarus Uprising. DKCR was the most relevant DK game at the time and it cut the playable cast down to just DK and Diddy. He probably just didn't know about Tropical Freeze at the time.

Ultimate: Everyone voted for K. Rool on the ballot, and there wasn't much room for another DK character considering Ult. literally only added five non-echo newcomers from Nintendo, as a drawback of EiH.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Were there literally ANY other grass or water moves in that game?
Squirtle had a electric weakness too if I recall? Certainly didn't do his matchup against Pikachu well.
Smash 4: Sakurai planned the roster back in early 2012, right after Kid Icarus Uprising. DKCR was the most relevant DK game at the time and it cut the playable cast down to just DK and Diddy. He probably just didn't know about Tropical Freeze at the time.

Ultimate: Everyone voted for K. Rool on the ballot, and there wasn't much room for another DK character considering Ult. literally only added five non-echo newcomers, as a drawback of EiH.
Yeah I was aware. Returns was a great game but didn't do the DKC cast any favors.... But I guess one could say that DK and Diddy themselves where the best in Smash 4 compared to all other versions of themselves in Smash.

In hindsight, they also could've just given us Cranky in Smash 4.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The move Chikorita uses as a Poke Ball is, surprisingly, not one. It's counted as a "Slash" attack.
Squirtle had a electric weakness too if I recall? Certainly didn't do his matchup against Pikachu well.
Brawl only acknowledged which starter types the PT trio was strong/weak against.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
...which doesn't deal damage. So Charizard barely has any chances to show that it's weak to water. The whole fire-types-and-Sonic-drown-faster thing wasn't even a thing until Ultimate.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
...which doesn't deal damage. So Charizard barely has any chances to show that it's weak to water. The whole fire-types-and-Sonic-drown-faster thing wasn't even a thing until Ultimate.
Type effectiveness affected knockback, not damage, so it technically would matter in terms of FLUDD (but only just barely, so yeah...)

SKX31

Smash Master
In terms of water attacks, there was also Mario's FLUDD and the SSE's Hydro Jyks, but there weren't any other grass attacks.
Yes, type effectiveness meant that Ivy also had a water resistance... but a third of the Brawl cast (slight edit due to initially misreading the context) had KO-worthy fire moves and could kill Ivy with them sooner than Squirtle* (and a whole host of items, Subspace enemies and stage hazards had fire on top). The weakness meant a 1.1X knockback increase, resistance was 0.9X (or a 10 % knockback reduction) FTR.

What's extra weird is that Olimar's Red Pikmin have a fire effect, but his Blue Pikmin doesn't have a water effect.

In reality the type effectiveness was only really fair in a mirror match - otherwise it meant that Squirtle could tank fire moves, while Ivy... couldn't. It was a neat idea in theory and we have the benefit of hindsight here - so I'm not going to be too harsh in my judgement. But as you pointed out MB, the massive imbalance was pretty much the nail in the coffin for that idea.

It's a major reason I'm really happy where Ivy is right now. Felt really bad for the poor thing after experiencing that.

*(Video demonstration here, using Snake's F-Smash and Falcon Punch. Luigi's Up B was another notorious example.)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, hearing everyone freak out, I was expecting a lot more BWD in that trailer.

He's in it for, like, 10 seconds.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Okay, hearing everyone freak out, I was expecting a lot more BWD in that trailer.

He's in it for, like, 10 seconds.
10 seconds is enough for them to show him as the only playable Player 2 thus far and, more importantly, the first one they show over King Dedede or Metaknight (who seems to be an enemy again?) or pretty much anyone else. Y'all need to stop sneezing on how important this character is to the series.

Also...ahem...

Remember when I told y'all not to sleep on markmaro just because he can be vague and get that wild and vague stuff wrong?

1. I wouldn't quite ** all over Markmaro just yet. Some of the ** he's posted recently is hella wild but also very out of character for him to go in that hard. Think of Markomaro like a foreign Jeff Grubb: he's basically an approved leaker who is given certain tidbits that he can talk about, but isn't stealing anything or costing jobs. When he's not sure about things, he's super vague and uses emojis...but then he does stuff like he has been lately, where he is talking names and dates with incredible dedication. Make your own decisions to be sure, but I'd at least pay attention to what he's saying.
Welp...

Yeah, something you guys need to learn here is to not throw people under the bus on information just because they have been wrong in the past. It's something all of our modern society needs to learn honestly, but I'll stick with the Smash community as a goal for now.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman

Great to have this kind of indebt conversations again, always love them.

Yes you're right about Zelda and Sheik not being that great of a coupled pair as say, Pyra and Mythra are. Melee Sheik indeed was / is still a Top Tier character, with F Air being a better KO move than anything Zelda has on her except for her F and B Airs. Gotta land those first however. Could be Sheik's popularity indeed that got her back, or the fact she was planned for Twilight Princess at some point at least, which could imply a future for the character.

Anyway you're right, someone being good with Zelda intuitively isn't going to find that same dynamic with playing Sheik, and vise versa. Argument could be made for Pokemon Trainer too, but I felt that especially in Ultimate the movesets of the 3 Pokemon flow very well into each other.

Maybe it's not a truly fair comparison, as Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard are not polar opposites of each other, and there are three characters opposed to two. Ivysaur being the perfect middle ground character between the agile combo orientated Squirtle and the powerful heavy Charizard meant for prolonged battles and strong finishers.

It's just ironic that the original characters meant for this exact play style never got that synastry between their move sets. It was even more ironic for me in Smash 4, where for a while in the early stages Sheik was widely considered the best character in the game and Zelda the worst. Whilst now, Pyra and Mythra are considered the very best characters due to how great they compliment each other.

Anyway, there was a lot wrong with their design so I always predicted the characters would be split up, but I always said that Impa would take the place of a solo Sheik. Made the most sense to me.

In general, I think the Zelda roster would benefit best from a reboot in the roster. Sheik and two versions of a child Link aren't good representation of the franchise. I still sort of feel the return of Young Link cheated us out of a Zelda newcomer.
Maybe it's because I'm not too into high-level play (and want better single-player more than anything), but honestly, when it comes to transformation characters, I prefer to view each individual piece rather than the whole. Like, the transformation can work well, but it's ultimately optional. Whether you cycle between all the transformations, or just solo one of them, either style can be perfectly viable (and it's one reason I'm glad that Ultimate ditched the stamina mechanic).

Yes, type effectiveness meant that Ivy also had a water resistance... but a third of the Brawl cast (slight edit due to initially misreading the context) had KO-worthy fire moves and could kill Ivy with them sooner than Squirtle* (and a whole host of items, Subspace enemies and stage hazards had fire on top). The weakness meant a 1.1X knockback increase, resistance was 0.9X (or a 10 % knockback reduction) FTR.

What's extra weird is that Olimar's Red Pikmin have a fire effect, but his Blue Pikmin doesn't have a water effect.

In reality the type effectiveness was only really fair in a mirror match - otherwise it meant that Squirtle could tank fire moves, while Ivy... couldn't. It was a neat idea in theory and we have the benefit of hindsight here - so I'm not going to be too harsh in my judgement. But as you pointed out MB, the massive imbalance was pretty much the nail in the coffin for that idea.

It's a major reason I'm really happy where Ivy is right now. Felt really bad for the poor thing after experiencing that.

*(Video demonstration here, using Snake's F-Smash and Falcon Punch. Luigi's Up B was another notorious example.)
Incidentally, there are more water options now with the likes of Greninja and Corrin. However, we've also gotten WAY more fire-based attacks than there already were back in Brawl (funny to think that Roy was cut at the time), and anything that could potentially count as Grass outside of Ivysaur itself (and maybe Villager's Timber) is still pretty much non-existant, so it is for the best that this type gimmick was ditched.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Here is something interesting I thought regarding playable King Boo in smash.
I think King Boo should be immortal except from the back side and his gem like every time you try to hit him in the front side he becomes transparent unless if the hit box reaches the gem which doesn’t become transparent and he would be one of the lightest characters but big in size.
Also grabbing him in the front side should be impossible.
What do you think about this gimmick? Is it broken?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think King Boo should be immortal except from the back side and his gem like every time you try to hit him in the front side he becomes transparent unless if the hit box reaches the gem which doesn’t become transparent and he would be one of the lightest characters but big in size.
So you can only do damage to the character in a single direction?

Yes, that's absurdly broken.

osby

Smash Obsessed
A bit tame, give him a permanent Back Shield and it's perfect.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
10 seconds is enough for them to show him as the only playable Player 2 thus far and, more importantly, the first one they show over King Dedede or Metaknight (who seems to be an enemy again?) or pretty much anyone else. Y'all need to stop sneezing on how important this character is to the series.

Also...ahem...

Remember when I told y'all not to sleep on markmaro just because he can be vague and get that wild and vague stuff wrong?

Welp...

Yeah, something you guys need to learn here is to not throw people under the bus on information just because they have been wrong in the past. It's something all of our modern society needs to learn honestly, but I'll stick with the Smash community as a goal for now.
Wait, Fire Emblem Echoes ?! I wanna see that !

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I mean, it's neat, but it's a Brawl mod, it's not really anything new per-se. Brawl mods have added in dozens if not hundreds of characters at this point.
Pretty sure people are... I definitely remember providing the link when the video was new... But even still, when his videos get millions of views apiece for Brawl mods when most others are pretty much ignored unless they're aware of it specifically, I'm pretty sure a surprising amount of people know about it.
I thought it would be clear from context that I was referring to the people who have been talking about potential moves for BWD in the past two or three pages.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Speaking as someone who's been a proponent for King Boo since Smash 4, this sounds incredibly broken.

You have a good foundation with him being big but super light, but an ideal way to capture his ghostliness would be to have a handful of his moves make him intangible, sorta like an inverse of K. Rool.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't see why not for Bandana Dee. Who else are they gonna add? Marx? :secretkpop: Adeleine?

Top Bottom