• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I guess my problem with your ideas is that well, none of those abilities are even exclusive to Waluigi, which really does just emphasizes his overall identity as just being a throwaway spinoff roster filler character. He's like Daisy except for the fact that he can't be made a quick clone. To make thinks fair I also think this applies to Toad and that's probably why he's not playable either.
Bowser Jr.'s whole moveset is hanging around in a clown car originally used by Bowser. He could've been given a more exclusively-used paintbrush moveset. But he was given a moveset that, theoretically, Bowser can share basically to the letter, FS-aside.

Doesn't matter about exclusive moves. That would invalidate almost all of the Pokemon. It matters if the character uses those moves exclusively in Smash. And even then, if they use them differently enough, it's still unique. And so far the Mario spin-off well is almost completely untapped, without even incorporating the cheating, dancing, and somehow gravity-defying that are more characteristic of Waluigi.

Lacking moveset potential is an argument that should've fallen out of favor a very long time ago given the history of it eventually, flying in the face of those who bring it up. Little Mac, Rosalina, Pac-Man, Mii, Palutena, Duck Hunt, Isabelle, Steve, so on and so forth.

The number of characters it genuinely hinders is probably limited solely to absolute pacifists, physiologically infeasible, or entirely derivative candidates, which isn't actually that many. There's no way the factor which has held back Waluigi is an inability to cull a moveset for him.

And even now, imagine a very popular character who gets excluded despite being able to be unique simply because another character could, yet doesn't, use moves he uses. That doesn't even make much sense.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oh hush, he added TWO Skies of Arcadia characters.
Mate that doesn't excuse the lack of Temjin or the lousy-ass excuse for Tyris over Death Adder or the raw deal SMT got or the amount of times he kept defaulting to the main protag when there was a potential fun pick in there if he dug a little deeper or the bizarre inclusion of Zobio and Zobiko or the weird way that he just.......didn't add anyone in the would-be third-parties' place when he could have easily taken the opportunity to add more SEGA characters or Gemini being a Sakura echo for some godforsaken reason or ToeJam and Earl being in when they aren't even SEGA characters or-

Yeah point is that roster right there has a whole lotta problems that are further exacerbated by William's inclusion so no I will not hush. That said it wasn't all bad, plenty of picks I liked

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Mate that doesn't excuse the lack of Temjin or the lousy-ass excuse for Tyris over Death Adder or the raw deal SMT got or the amount of times he kept defaulting to the main protag when there was a potential fun pick in there if he dug a little deeper or the bizarre inclusion of Zobio and Zobiko or the weird way that he just.......didn't add anyone in the would-be third-parties' place when he could have easily taken the opportunity to add more SEGA characters or Gemini being a Sakura echo for some godforsaken reason or ToeJam and Earl being in when they aren't even SEGA characters or-

Yeah point is that roster right there has a whole lotta problems that are further exacerbated by William's inclusion so no I will not hush. That said it wasn't all bad, plenty of picks I liked
You... wanna talk about it? Maybe it's just the vibe I'm getting from this post, but it feels like you have a lot to say on the matter.

Laniv

Smash Lord
So here's a fun thinking/speculation game I've been thinking of.

Choose a series, any series that's represented in Smash Bros. You have been selected to "buff up" this series' representaion, with one caveat: You cannot add a playable character. You can add a stage, an Assist Trophy, some music, a boss battle, or even an item if possible. But you can't add a new playable fighter.

For example, if you choose the Splatoon series, you could add DJ Octavio as a boss, and Nasty Majesty, Riptide Rupture, Fins & Fiddles, and Ebb & Flow (Octo) for new music.

How do you choose to boost a series' representation?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Choose a series, any series that's represented in Smash Bros. You have been selected to "buff up" this series' representaion, with one caveat: You cannot add a playable character. You can add a stage, an Assist Trophy, some music, a boss battle, or even an item if possible. But you can't add a new playable fighter.

For example, if you choose the Splatoon series, you could add DJ Octavio as a boss, and Nasty Majesty, Riptide Rupture, Fins & Fiddles, and Ebb & Flow (Octo) for new music.

Donkey Kong Country.

Stage: Grassland Groove with numerous DKC2/3/Tropical Freeze remixes,
Assist Trophy: Dixie Kong whose carried by Rambi, Rattly, Squitter, or Squawks across the screen as they attack fighters
Item: Steel Barrel, which be thrown at fighters, but does more damage if it's rolling form is ridden by your fighter
Boss: KAOS from DKC3

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

I would add Death as an AT for Castlevania.

Edit

For further reading on the budget stuff

I swear these writers either are members here or just peruse these boards for smash related topics lol

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

I choose Wario Land, Pokemon Mystery Dungeons, Super Mario RPG and Virtual Boy contents they are all poorly represented

Wario land can have:
-Princess Shokora as assist trophy and shape shift into her 5 different forms in the battle and fight a bit.
-Rudy the Clown as a boss where you have to launch his hand to his nose to deal damage
-Shake King castle as a stage with Captain Syrup and King Shake being in the background.
-literally any music from Wario Land series.

Pokémon mystery dungeon could have:
-Grovyle as pokeball and he will use the time gear to stop time while fighting.
-Primal Dialga as boss and could slow down time during the fight.
-Temporal Tower as a stage.
-literally any music from PMD series.

Super Mario RPG could have:
-Bowyer as assist trophy and he will be blocking an input from the controller such as sheild or attack or specials.
-Smithy as boss which he could shapeshift into 5 different forms during the battle.
-Weapons factory as a stage with Mack, Bowyer, Yaridovich, Axem Rangers machine made versions and Count Down being in the background and it would have a treadmill which you can walk on and it moves.
-literally any SMRPG music.

Virtual Boy content could have:
-Harry (Teleroboxer) as assist trophy which he would be big and move around and punch in the battle.
-Bamsham (Teleroboxer) as a boss which is a giant robot cat boxer with a small cat called Milky will be watching in the background.
-Mario Clash stage where you could enter the pipe to reach the other side
-literally any Virtual Boy game music.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Bayonetta - add at least one boss fight. The series is known for ridiculous, absolutely over-the-top bosses, so why not take advantage and throw someone like Jubileus in there?

Also, even if we don't count Moon River or Fly Me To The Moon, there's still plenty of music that could be added. You May Call Me Father or The Greatest Jubilee, for example - their absence is bizarre, since they aren't lyrical themes or licensed music like the first two that I mentioned. The Bayonetta 2 music selections also felt lacking - we could have gotten something like Gomorrah - Devourer of the Divine, Punch-Out!!, or Aesir. While we're at it, let's throw in the Bayonetta 1 remix of Space Harrier and Boss/Fantasy Zone, to get music from some other Sega franchises in here. (they already included the After Burner remix)

(adding Jeanne as an echo fighter would be nice, but I'm assuming that even an echo fighter is too much)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Street Fighter:
Just have its music not come solely from SFII.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Putting aside the Waluigi talk, honestly, how do you feel about the Mario representation in Smash in general? I mean, on one hand, I do understand that its Nintendo's flagship franchise. But on the other, I honestly felt that the series already got its most essential reps with the addition of Wario in Brawl, and while the addition of two characters in each game since isn't all that much (well, technically 10 in the case of Bowser Jr., Koopalings, Rosalina, AND Luma), I can't say I'm especially fond of the idea of a significant fraction of the Smash roster starting to just resemble the roster of a typical Mario spin-off game (if it doesn't already). I say this, and yet, I honestly found Piranha Plant to be a pleasant surprise, and wouldn't even mind if that opened the door for another, even more iconic Mario mook like Goomba or Koopa Troopa. I guess I've just got conflicting views on it overall.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Putting aside the Waluigi talk, honestly, how do you feel about the Mario representation in Smash in general? I mean, on one hand, I do understand that its Nintendo's flagship franchise. But on the other, I honestly felt that the series already got its most essential reps with the addition of Wario in Brawl, and while the addition of two characters in each game since isn't all that much (well, technically 10 in the case of Bowser Jr., Koopalings, Rosalina, AND Luma), I can't say I'm especially fond of the idea of a significant fraction of the Smash roster starting to just resemble the roster of a typical Mario spin-off game (if it doesn't already). I say this, and yet, I honestly found Piranha Plant to be a pleasant surprise, and wouldn't even mind if that opened the door for another, even more iconic Mario mook like Goomba or Koopa Troopa. I guess I've just got conflicting views on it overall.
I like all the picks except :ultpiranha::ultrosalina::ultdoc:
I would rather have Captain Syrup, Stork, Waluigi, Fawful, King Boo, Vivian and Pauline over them

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I like all the picks except :ultpiranha::ultrosalina::ultdoc:
I would rather have Captain Syrup, Stork, Waluigi, Fawful, King Boo, Vivian and Pauline over them
Wait..... Stork? As in the literal stork that delivered Mario and Luigi as babies in Yoshi's Island? How are you okay with THAT as a playable Fighter, yet you say you don't like Plant in the same post?

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I feel like waluigi should be jank and gimicky
As hes an exxageration of wario and luigi and i like the idea of him relying on his gimmicks to win as a way to reflect as a way of how he is known for cheating

I also thought that waluigi in smash would have the slowest airspeed in the game due to him being as exxageration of luigi

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Seems like Toad should be playable by now. I think Mario rep is already huge but it's still got room for more.

King Boo would be sick.

Plant was weird I'd have gone with a hammer brother (or two and make them a duo like ic.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I feel like waluigi should be jank and gimicky
As hes an exxageration of wario and luigi and i like the idea of him relying on his gimmicks to win as a way to reflect as a way of how he is known for cheating

I also thought that waluigi in smash would have the slowest airspeed in the game due to him being as exxageration of luigi
Yeah, just putting the slider to the max on all of Luigi’s traits sounds like a fun fighter already. High vertical jumps, but no air speed. Middling run speed, but traction that makes him play like he’s on ice on all stages. Like Luigi’s Fire Jump Punch and Green Missile, Waluigi could have ridiculous sweet spots and RNG on certain moves too.

Unlike Luigi though, he’d have great range due to his lanky limbs and would be more of a hit-and-run fighter like Wario than a combo character like Luigi, but still a fighter that takes a simple set and complicates it due to his awkward mobility and occasional outburst of weirdness.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Sonic, easy.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

I’d add a new Splatoon stage based on Octo Valley or Deepsea Metro and add codecs where the various Agents (Agent 1, Agent 2, MC_PRINCESS, DJ Hyperfresh, Cap’n Cuttlefish and Sheldon) would discuss the match. If you want content you could make it fighter-specific even.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Plant, in addition to being Sakurai's obligatory suprise fighter (like :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt: before it) at least has appeared in every Mario platformer at this point and they managed to make a really unique and interesting moveset out of it, utilizing all the various PP subspecies.

Waluigi, due to his spinoff only nature, would most likely just use random Mario spinoff moves. Not nearly as interesting.
Appearing in Mario platformers doesn't amount to playing any role of importance in any of those games whatsoever. And sure PP being a surprise is one reason it got in, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with that being a legitimate reason to add a character.
Of course you can also say that Waluigi doesn't ever play an essential role either (which is perhaps the best basis for any argument against him), but at least the guy has actual demand and is a character you can play as in many of his appearances, which I think amounts to more than generic mook status.

Also Waluigi can use generic punches, kicks, stomps, etc. for a lot of his moves, and there's really nothing wrong with that, especially if he also whips out the tennis racket or golf club or whatever else every once in a while. Not every moveset has to be a goody bag full of ultra-specific references. Waluigi's appeal is more for his personality and mannerisms anyway; a character like him could do just as much with punches and kicks as many others can do with a lot more obvious choices for moves.

how do you feel about the Mario representation in Smash in general?
I don't really like seeing Plant on the roster tbh, though I know that is a controversial topic. And I think Dr. Mario could be easily relegated to alt. costume status without losing too much. Rest are fine, though I'd prefer a Bowser Jr. moveset where he doesn't spend the vast majority of his time inside the clown car, even if that means the Koopalings can't be alts (I don't really care much for the Koopalings anyway, though I don't really lose sleep over them being alt. costumes).

Other than the ones already in, I'm not going to put an upper limit on the number of reps if there are more that have the merits to be in. But I think at this point if they added Waluigi and Toad/Captain Toad then I'd be pretty content (though even those two have some arguments against them). Never really cared much about Paper Mario or Geno, tbh, though I get some of the reasons that people want them. And Pauline I would shelve for now but if she keeps appearing in things consistently and garners some more notoriety then I'd seriously consider her. King Boo I can see some arguments for, but as long as Luigi is packing his Poltergeist in his moveset (would like a little more of it, maybe) and we keep the stage/music, I am okay with the amount of Luigi's Mansion representation.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really hope Sonic gets reworked next game. He really needs it. :090: It's so easy to rework his moveset and implement tools from previous games. Use the wisps ffs. The cool abilities from Sonic Adventure. The GoDdAmN LiGhT sPeEd ShOeS for crying out loud.

I really expect Sonic love next Smash. Maybe Eggman or Tails with a Shadow Echo?

Laniv

Smash Lord
All I want is Toad (preferably regular but Captain Toad is a close second), King Boo, and I think Pauline would be cool.

Also, there are way cooler Mario enemies than Piranha Plant. I say bring in Lakitu and the Hammer Bros.!

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I like them all and I like playing as all of them. I honestly wouldn't remove any of them. If they could make a good moveset I wouldn't mind more but some movesets I've seen for toad and waluigi aren't too interesting to me. Also I just think its funny how much a piranha plant lives rent free inside the head of some people.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Mega Man:
Boss - Dr. Wily piloting the Wily Machine
AT - Protoman. Complete with whistle.
Music - Sooooo much to choose from. We need way more MMX music.
Stage - Storm Eagle's airship.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Pac-Man
Boss: Toc-Man
Assist Trophy: K.C. Munchkin (Yes, i'm not kidding)
Stage: Bringing back Pac-Maze, but you can change the mazes between the classic one, Super Pac-Man, Pac & Pal, Pac-Mania, Arrangement (both the arcade and PSP iterations), Championship Edition, and one based on the Atari 2600 port.
Music: A medley of Wagan Land games.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Do we count a direct on Legends Arceus?

Cause I expect that soon.
Yeah, a Direct feels like the time is ripe for this month.

Nintendo has been silent since September and gave us absolutely nothing at the VGAs. Considering all the rumors we've heard for years now about games in the works and how we know a lot of **** got pushed back due to everyone shutting down business over the 5th Hokage, it seems only right that some of them will begin to see fruition.

Anywho, two things to say, one I may have said already so I'm sorry if I did.

1. Getting a Definitive Edition or Complete Edition of Ultimate announced at some point, even relatively soon, isn't really a big deal. With Nintendo having Bandai working on Smash who have been extending the life of their games and releasing updates versions for a bit now, just due to the nature of having 11 characters and all their content mean paying like $120 up front to complete Ultimate is a huge turn-off to people late in the game. A Complete Edition for between $60-$80 seems about right. This doesn't mean you have to start trusting Hotgirlvids69 again if it becomes true, because this is one of the most obvious moves they could make. I was already talking about this months ago: Ultimate followed in the steps of modern fighting games, and modern fighting games do a bunch of DLC and then a Complete Edition for those who waited.

2. I wouldn't quite **** all over Markmaro just yet. Some of the **** he's posted recently is hella wild but also very out of character for him to go in that hard. Think of Markomaro like a foreign Jeff Grubb: he's basically an approved leaker who is given certain tidbits that he can talk about, but isn't stealing anything or costing jobs. When he's not sure about things, he's super vague and uses emojis...but then he does stuff like he has been lately, where he is talking names and dates with incredible dedication. Make your own decisions to be sure, but I'd at least pay attention to what he's saying.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Wait..... Stork? As in the literal stork that delivered Mario and Luigi as babies in Yoshi's Island? How are you okay with THAT as a playable Fighter, yet you say you don't like Plant in the same post?
Because it’s a 2nd Yoshi rep which yoshi still doesn’t have any new rep since 64
Also Stork is carrying important task in the series just like Yoshi while Piranha Plant doesn’t so at least he does have a role even though he doesn’t have crazy super power

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because it’s a 2nd Yoshi rep which yoshi still doesn’t have any new rep since 64
Also Stork is carrying important task in the series just like Yoshi while Piranha Plant doesn’t so at least he does have a role even though he doesn’t have crazy super power
Yoshi doesn't need a new rep, least of all a non-character who appears for 2 seconds to drop a baby off... and isn't even a character to begin with.

Like it's literally just a real animal.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Additional Yoshi reps I always thought was based on the arbitrary quota of how each series (from 64 at least) should have at least 2 playable... In Yoshi's case though, when he quite literally is a Mario character only given his own series because he's spun off and done more of his own stuff... Yeah, I'm still in agreement that Yoshi should be a Mario character, but smash does a lot of stuff with series and putting them with certain series whilst other stuff gets treated differently...

Captain Falcon could easily have an echo, but an extra unique character from a pretty irrelevant series who'll be made from the ground up after smash has established itself as being able to properly represent characters from their series probably isn't too appealing in the devs eye's... Deathborn is probably the only one I could imagine working without it being a rehash of Falcon levels of originality... Does it sound cool, sure, but when you're placing resources into unique characters, understandable why the devs would avoid it.

Although Kamek for yoshi or mario or whatever could legitimately be cool as well as having a pretty large role in a lot of the games he appears in, even if he's not all that recurring in some....

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how likely it is that more Veterans will be given an overhaul next time. Seeing as Link and Ganondorf got mild adjustments and characters like Samus and Sonic get frequent requests for an update.
Samus and Sonic are two characters I think just need some tweaks and they'd be set.

The only thing Sonic needs is a new side-special like his Blue Tornado or something. Idk. Maybe add like jump option to his normal spindash if you tap the input again mid execution? Just to keep everything. Other than his side-special I think all the other applications of his spindash are warranted and creative. Maybe give him his Project M Forward-Air like people want. That's it.

I was playing the Dread demo and I think Samus could use some tweaks. Up her speed and change her Jab and Neutral-Air to his normal basic shot thing just like Megaman. I'd hate to sacrifice her cool Down-Tilt for a standard sliding one but it'd work well with an overall speed buff for her I guess and Dark Samus would inherit the old Down-Tilt anyway so whatever. I know for her there's a lot more you can do wit her but the same goes for Sonic. I'm just offering my thoughts on the design route of slight changes versus massive overhauls for these respective characters.

Anyway:

Now my two cents on certain reps being talked about. First I think Mario should always have the most playable fighters. I never understand people that complain about Mario having "too many" fighters. It's borderline ridiculous other than the fact that I understand they just don't like the series as much. The Mario series should also have more fighters on its own without the additions of the Wario, Yoshi and Donkey Kong series. The existence of those series being separate only emphasizes the importance and dominance of the Mario series role in Smash. Hell the name of the franchise itself is a play on Super Mario Bros.

Reps I feel are warranted are Captain Toad, King Boo and Geno. Geno is in a weird place though and I think it'd be nice if Square sold him off to Nintendo for an agreeable (cheap) price. I don't really want to dwelve into all of that though so moving on.

Waluigi should be a Wario rep. I know there are some issues with this and I still think it was tone-deaf of Nintendo to not include him in Wario's new Warioware game but that's just that I guess. Still the Wario series is the perfect place for him with Wario being his canon bestie and the emblem for the series literally being a giant W.

Birdo should be the Yoshi rep. It's another kind of complicated pairing but Birdo is Nintendo alumni and usually paired with Yoshi in some way for the spinoffs. Nobody else really fits the bill as well as she does.

These additions to the Mario-adjacent series are safer picks because of how much they're already associated they are with the Mario cast while still having a legitimate standing with the main character representing their respect Mario-adjacent series. Once you start going deeper into the Kongs, Warioware's usual suspects, and Poochy is when things start getting a little too niche. Hell even Mario's own niche choices like Kamek and Fawful should be getting priority over the side-series' niche picks except maybe like Ashley I guess? I don't really know.

Not gatekeeping though I'm just throwing my thoughts out there on what feels "realistic" to speculate on. Carry on.

D

Deleted member

I like that video, but only bad quality in this Video that when he said about Assists, I heard that Vectorman was Assist Character and they broke my feelings.

Also, why Ecco in roster? Vectorman has more moveset potential than this "Dolphin".
I love the wording of this post because it implies that Dolphins aren't real

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Keep an eye on this a new character trailer for smash Crusade will show up today the code name for it is hope so take your guesses
Personaly feeling Sora or an an Undertale character but there's a decent chance it's Danganrompa.

Also slightly related but it's cool Crusade is still going. The work they've put into it lately is really cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personaly feeling Sora or an an Undertale character but there's a decent chance it's Danganrompa.

Also slightly related but it's cool Crusade is still going. The work they've put into it lately is really good.
It's maybe someone, who would be unexpected.
I think it's Alex Kidd or character related to hope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom