• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Has anyone been talking about how the "Next Smash" should actually be a Deluxe port of SSBU?
This is the best way to get everyone back.

I mean, I'd like our voices loud and clear that we want everyone back and that the Smash port on the future 4K console would make more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Has anyone been talking about how the "Next Smash" should actually be a Deluxe port of SSBU?

I mean, I'd like our voices loud and clear that we want everyone back and that the Smash port on the future 4K console would make more sense.
We've already talked about that plenty of times, and I've already talked about how EIH required plenty of sacrifices and the same would be even truer with a bigger, Disney-having roster plenty of times.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
We've already talked about that plenty of times, and I've already talked about how EIH required plenty of sacrifices and the same would be even truer with a bigger, Disney-having roster plenty of times.
THEN REALLY REALLY REALLY PUSH THEM TO MAKE SMASH 6 WITH EVERYONE RETURNING. BOOST THEIR BUDGET, PUSH THE LIMITS, AND MAKE SMASH 6 EVEN MORE ULTIMATE THAN THE LATEST GAME. I BEG YOU PLEASE. YOU'LL REGRET IT IF YOU DON'T TRY. DON'T BELIEVE IT WON'T HAPPEN. YOU HAVE TO DO IT. TRUST ME. WOULD YOU RATHER DO THAT OR JUST LAY AROUND DOING NOTHING AND YOU'RE LIKELY GONNA GET FEWER STUFF. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? YOU CAN DO IT. YES, YOU CAN. PUSH HARD. DON'T GIVE UP.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
THEN REALLY REALLY REALLY PUSH THEM TO MAKE SMASH 6 WITH EVERYONE RETURNING. BOOST THEIR BUDGET, PUSH THE LIMITS, AND MAKE SMASH 6 EVEN MORE ULTIMATE THAN THE LATEST GAME. I BEG YOU PLEASE. YOU'LL REGRET IT IF YOU DON'T TRY. DON'T BELIEVE IT WON'T HAPPEN. YOU HAVE TO DO IT. TRUST ME. WOULD YOU RATHER DO THAT OR JUST LAY AROUND DOING NOTHING AND YOU'RE LIKELY GONNA GET FEWER STUFF. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? YOU CAN DO IT. YES, YOU CAN. PUSH HARD. DON'T GIVE UP.
First of all, not everyone is going to cry that not everyone came back, only those who lost all the characters they liked will think it's the worst thing ever.

Second, boosting their budget could require Nintendo to stop funding various non-Smash projects, which they will NOT do even if there's a growing number of Smash fans who don't give a **** about anything else Nintendo publishes

Third, that "fewer stuff" might not matter to some if it means more newcomers and side content in the base game.

Do YOU understand?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
That's just random cap spam that reads like a movie quote being said to a person that isn't Sakurai on a site he doesn't even use lol. Even if this was to Sakurai, it takes a little bit more than just that crap to one up this roster lol... This seems like a troll, but you've been on the site since 2014 so I don't get it lmao.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's just random cap spam that reads like a movie quote being said to a person that isn't Sakurai on a site he doesn't even use lol. Even if this was to Sakurai, it takes a little bit more than just that crap to one up this roster lol... This seems like a troll, but you've been on the site since 2014 so I don't get it lmao.
He's previously been seen spamming various Kickstarter ideas to continue adding content to the game post-Sora. I really don't think he understands, even as a 30 year old who's been on this site for years.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
First of all, not everyone is going to cry that not everyone came back, only those who lost all the characters they liked will think it's the worst thing ever.

Second, boosting their budget could require Nintendo to stop funding various non-Smash projects, which they will NOT do even if there's a growing number of Smash fans who don't give a **** about anything else Nintendo publishes

Third, that "fewer stuff" might not matter to some if it means more newcomers and side content in the base game.

Do YOU understand?
No! I don't understand! I'd rather you fundraise Sakurai so that Nintendo doesn't have to. Smash really needs a stronger budget in order to compete with something like Fortnite. Do you really want Sakurai to POOR compared to Fortnite? Do you really want a few characters to not return? Do you seriously want Smash 6 to be less Ultimate? C'mon! If you want Smash 6 to be the greatest Smash possible, you need to get off your *** and donate like crazy to Sakurai to boost his budget. It's not just Nintendo who should set up the budget, it's us too.
Can you at least try this even if you doubt it'll work?
You'll be sorry if you don't.

Do you not trust me?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd rather you fundraise Sakurai so that Nintendo doesn't have to.
Kickstarters never earn enough money to compete with AAA game budgets. NEVER.
Smash really needs a stronger budget in order to compete with something like Fortnite
EVERY game is smaller than Fortnite, you can't stop that,
Do you really want a few characters to not return? Do you seriously want Smash 6 to be less Ultimate? C'mon! If you want Smash 6 to be the greatest Smash possible
There's more to a game than just its roster size. This extends to crossovers too.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
He's previously been seen spamming various Kickstarter ideas to continue adding content to the game post-Sora. I really don't think he understands, even as a 30 year old who's been on this site for years.
I mean, I saw some stuff mentioned from a mod about something with Sakurai's name from Smash 4... Still, IDK if it's just naivete since it's kinda common knowledge... If you can connect the dots to think a kickstarter could be used to fund a game, I don't think it should be any harder to realize how a AAA company wouldn't accept that funding for something which is ultimately unnecessary in the long run...

No! I don't understand! I'd rather you fundraise Sakurai so that Nintendo doesn't have to. Smash really needs a stronger budget in order to compete with something like Fortnite. Do you really want Sakurai to POOR compared to Fortnite? Do you really want a few characters to not return? Do you seriously want Smash 6 to be less Ultimate? C'mon! If you want Smash 6 to be the greatest Smash possible, you need to get off your *** and donate like crazy to Sakurai to boost his budget. It's not just Nintendo who should set up the budget, it's us too.
Can you at least try this even if you doubt it'll work?
You'll be sorry if you don't.
You're telling random people on the internet to fund games which likely cost close hundreds of millions of dollars lol... I thought you were initially being more general but you were literally solely applying it to that user lol... Smash and Fortnite are in completely different leagues already as they both cater to completely different audiences, with different monetization models, and one actually doing a good job in making the characters unique. You just randomly out of nowhere put it onto one user lol... You say that "it's us too" in regards to who should donate despite literally using terminology suggesting the majority of the money should be donated by one certain user... And it won't work... Trying it when it literally can't work would literally be all risk no return...

Do you not trust me?
You don't seem to understand how this sorta stuff works... I really don't think you're trying to scam people or whatever similar suggestions, and am sure you're doing it with the best of intentions, but it doesn't work lol... Throwing money at something which flat out won't work as I said would be all risk (TBH it's arguably 0 risk) and 0 return... At that point there are much better ways to throw all your resources away even if they still intend to have 0 return and just do it for the sake of it like in this scenario here lol... And double post... Which may suggest this is just trolling but IDK...

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Kickstarters never earn enough money to compete with AAA game budgets. NEVER.

EVERY game is smaller than Fortnite, you can't stop that,

There's more to a game than just its roster size. This extends to crossovers too.
Do you not want the Smash budget to be similar to Fortnite?
Do younot want everyone to be back?
Do you not care who gets cut?
Do you not care if Smash 6 is less Ultimate than the previous one?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Bringing back the entire roster of Ultimate is a long shot and a poor use of budget. I'd much rather them scrap half the cast and make the game's online mode competitively viable.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Again, I ALREADY TOLD YOU, there's more to a game than its roster size.
Yeah, they don't get how it works lol... They suggested that you donate most of the money which I assume was prompted by an earlier response... Which is completely absurd and unfounded, which is saying something considering kickstarters have been proposed by the same user... Also still not even considering how Nintendo doesn't need creative direction or funding, especially when the creative direction is arguably the most uncreative suggestion someone could possibly come up with in regards to smash... Best off leaving it...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
a brand new Smash game with not everyone back?
This, because it means it's more likely we'll actually get more newcomers and side content in the base game, because they aren't spending resources on balancing and bugfixes for an 80+ character roster. And yes, they WOULD have to spend those resources even if we just get Everyone Is Here forever, Aegis is officially confirmed to be the best character in the game and code meant for one system isn't magically going to work 100% correctly on new hardware.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
A Deluxe port of Ultimate is definitely feasible and is likely the way they’ll go for at least the next iteration. It’s much easier to renegotiate a rerelease of a game than it is to make new negotiations for a new game.

Think of it this way “hey, we’re making a new version of the game. Everything you already agreed on will stay the same. We good?” Over “hey we need to discuss alllllll these details again”. The most negotiable thing would be what the size of the check would be to cut each company. Especially Disney.

The Deluxe port is ONLY feasible for the next console tho. After that you run the risk of the game being stale. An old game will keep the same fanbase and gain new ones but you’ll gradually lose them with each new iteration.

At least you would think that but Grand Theft Auto V and Mario Kart 8 basically proves me wrong so who knows?

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
How about next game, Palutena's Guidance doesn't return at all? Not even for characters it's been used for?

How about next game, Palutena's Guidance doesn't return at all? Not even for characters it's been used for?
That'll minimize costs.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sure but that didn’t stop GTAV from selling absurd amounts on 3 generations of consoles.
Do we even know the game's PS5/XSX preorder sales yet? A lot of people are still iffy because Rockstar's yet to reveal any real improvements, only vague things like "seamless character switching" and graphics that are so similar to ones we've already seen that they've been caught using 7th-gen footage.
That'll minimize costs.
You're just proving to me that EIH requires too many sacrifices to keep going. What's next, not having any stages or gameplay at all? That'll minimize the costs of bringing everyone back too!

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Do we even know the game's PS5/XSX preorder sales yet? A lot of people are still iffy because Rockstar's yet to reveal any real improvements, only vague things like "seamless character switching" and graphics that are so similar to ones we've already seen that they've been caught using 7th-gen footage.

You're just proving to me that EIH requires too many sacrifices to keep going. What's next, not having any stages or gameplay at all? That'll minimize the costs of bringing everyone back too!
Pretty much. Smash Ultimate had barely any new content at launch because of all the effort went into bringing back all the old characters and much of the old stages. There were only 11 newcomers, 5 of which were clones and another was a semiclone, meaning that there were only 5 truly unique newcomers for Ultimate at launch, those being Inkling, Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, and Incineroar. The single player budget almost entirely went towards WoL and the newly revamped Classic Mode, so the extra content suffered. Trophies were dropped, Multi-Man Mode had its available modes cut from 6 to just 3 and All Star Mode was merged with Endless Smash, and Stage Builder and Home-Run Contest had to be added in update patches. The game also added a paltry four new stages at launch, two to represent Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, and stages for Splatoon and Castlevania.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
How about this:
Only first party fighters (at least in the base roster)
Palutena's Guidance is cut completely and replaced with something that doesn't require voice actors (like Splatoon or ARMS)
Focus on online viability
A story on par with Subspace Emissary
More Single Player activities
etc.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Online is literally my only gripe with Ultimate. Fix that and do whatever you want honestly. I doubt my favorites will get cut anywho but I know some peoples will and that’s pretty crappy. But at least we could actually do decent online tourneys.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Online is literally my only gripe with Ultimate. Fix that and do whatever you want honestly. I doubt my favorites will get cut anywho but I know some peoples will and that’s pretty crappy. But at least we could actually do decent online tourneys.
Well, I guess I'm gonna have to look forward to Splatoon 3 now. Splatoon games have better online play anyway (and even better stories than WOL).

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Watch Nintendo take thousands of fans “donations” to make a Deluxe Ultimate despite never asking fans to do that and then use that money make a port of Amiibo Festival.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
To me a deluxe port is just going backwards or redundant. Ultimate for Switch IS the high point. To release it again may be easier than a fresh new title but why do it? It seems like the only reason to even want it is to nurture an unhealthy hope that "this time around" they can add the one or two things that person didn't get in Ultimate. Like okay we get it Ultimate didn't (and never could have) please everyone. It's time to move on from this mindset honestly. We should embrace the notion that Sakurai's gonna take a nice long break from Smash and videogames in general and if/when he returns the new game won't be another Ultimate (which honestly to me is insulting to even entertain as it cheapens what they did actually accomplish) but will be a whole new experience with online hopefully being a much stronger focus.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
To me a deluxe port is just going backwards or redundant. Ultimate for Switch IS the high point. To release it again may be easier than a fresh new title but why do it? It seems like the only reason to even want it is to nurture an unhealthy hope that "this time around" they can add the one or two things that person didn't get in Ultimate. Like okay we get it Ultimate didn't (and never could have) please everyone. It's time to move on from this mindset honestly. We should embrace the notion that Sakurai's gonna take a nice long break from Smash and videogames in general and if/when he returns the new game won't be another Ultimate (which honestly to me is insulting to even entertain as it cheapens what they did actually accomplish) but will be a whole new experience with online hopefully being a much stronger focus.
Of course. Some Smash fans are so entitled.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I am hoping that as well due to even if everyone's not back at least that guarantees that the new game would have decent quality.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Did you think getting EVERYBODY back in Ultimate was an overall poor idea?

Last edited:
Top Bottom