• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Every 4th party company should get its own smash game..

A Disney so we can get a Mickey vs Darth Vader vs Homer vs Iron Man.

A Universal so its possible a Toretto vs ET vs Minions vs King Kong lol.

Shonen Jump (but with good quality).

And let the videogame crossover to Sakurai and his team that they know what to do.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
So, what characters are you hoping will be in the next Smash?
One character in particular that I think really should be in and has a pretty good shot is Ashley. I don't see WarioWare going the way of dead franchises like F-Zero or Golden Sun any time soon, and Ashley is the most popular character from the games aside from Wario himself. She even appeared on the cover of the current issue of Nintendo Dream magazine alongside other popular characters. If Ashley got in, I could see Red assisting her in battle sort of like Luma but different.
E_XY3UgX0AM52pO.jpg

SirCamp

Smash Ace
One character in particular that I think really should be in and has a pretty good shot is Ashley. I don't see WarioWare going the way of dead franchises like F-Zero or Golden Sun any time soon, and Ashley is the most popular character from the games aside from Wario himself. She even appeared on the cover of the current issue of Nintendo Dream magazine alongside other popular characters. If Ashley got in, I could see Red assisting her in battle sort of like Luma but different.
View attachment 335979
Wait, is Nintendo Dream officially linked to Nintendo or is this, like, a separate business that just focuses on Nintendo content?

Cuz, Nintendo acknowledging Golden Sun??? :banjohere:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I think he’s referring to the apparent possibility that Sony’s trying to scrub itself clean of its legacy titles that made up most of the game’s first-party lineup, like Ape Escape or Sly.
I...really don't see that.

No, it's rated exactly right. The core mechanic of that game is awful.
Simply because it wasn't the same as Smash, of course.

But anyway, yeah,, it's very underrated.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I...really don't see that.

Simply because it wasn't the same as Smash, of course.

But anyway, yeah,, it's very underrated.
I mean, real talk, any fighting game where the ONLY way to ko an opponent is with a super move isn't going to go over well, it has nothing to do with it 'not being Smash'.

Supers are cool and flashy, but imagine if the ONLY way to KO someone in Smash were through a final smash, suddenly it'd get really annoying.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I mean, real talk, any fighting game where the ONLY way to ko an opponent is with a super move isn't going to go over well, it has nothing to do with it 'not being Smash'.

Supers are cool and flashy, but imagine if the ONLY way to KO someone in Smash were through a final smash, suddenly it'd get really annoying.
I say things such as camping and stealing other people KOs is pretty annoying too and those are things I don't have to worry about with PSAS KO system.

Shroob

Sup?
I say things such as camping and stealing other people KOs is pretty annoying too and those are things I don't have to worry about with PSAS KO system.
You're free to like the system yes.

Just realize that said system was one of the main reasons as to why the game fell off as hard as it did. People just didn't like it compared to how other games function.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You're free to like the system yes.

Just realize that said system was one of the main reasons as to why the game fell off as hard as it did. People just didn't like it compared to how other games function.
Oh, I'm well aware that I'm in the minority who didn't hate the KO system and think health bars would have satisfied more people.

I just don't think making it just like Smash should be seen as the solution.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh, I'm well aware that I'm in the minority who didn't hate the KO system and think health bars would have satisfied more people.

I just don't think making it just like Smash should be seen as the solution.
The issue is the super only kill. Healthbars are fine, in fact some games have adopted similar systems already like Rushdown Revolt which players say is quite fun, on top of a burst mechanic to escape combos.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
The issue is the super only kill. Healthbars are fine, in fact some games have adopted similar systems already like Rushdown Revolt which players say is quite fun, on top of a burst mechanic to escape combos.
Well yeah, I wouldn't mind if it was more similar to Rushdown Revolt. Still unique from Smash, yet still also fun to play.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
View attachment 335979
please tell me this means some hope for golden sun.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Not sure what you mean by that. I think they could definitely pull it off.
I think he’s referring to the apparent possibility that Sony’s trying to scrub itself clean of its legacy titles that made up most of the game’s first-party lineup, like Ape Escape or Sly.
I mean, there're other issues with Sony, but...... eh, this isn't the place for me to get political. So yeah, let's just go with what BlondeLombax said. Modern day Sony seems to have completely turned their backs on the Japanese developers and studios who helped get them to where they are in the first place. Any love and respect for their own history seems to be pretty much dead, which really strains the possibility of another crossover featuring their older IPs (not that they really cared about such a crossover the first time around, having shoved the project onto a dying studio).

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Guys go vote for which characters you want to play as in smash crusade
If any of you guys know me, you should already know who one of my newcomer nominations was at this point.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
That vid's a year old so uhh, doubt it.
The guy that made it is obviously really passionate about it and was only forced to stop once hit with a cease and desist. I personally feel very strongly against anti-mod practices because I think mods are inherently at the core of what makes gaming great. That all being said I think that even if the mod was totally abandoned with nobody having access to it at all it's still encouraging to see that all of what he achieved is still very possible. I hope he didn't just throw away that work because that would be a shame. He hopefully would have saved it for when Nintendo is ready to just **** off somewhat.
Nothing against mods, but Smash Ultimate is superior just for doing alot that could only be seen in fanfiction. It's very easy for a mod or Mugen to have characters like Sephiroth, Sora, Snake, Banjo-Kazooie, Steve, etc. They hardly need to worry about stuff like copyright and etc.
Smash Ultimate, an official game, had to fight against the reality of copyright and licenses, and it won. All because one guy and his team loved video games as a whole and wanted to celebrate that love with players and developers all-around.
I understand that but that's just what comes with leaving Smash to stagnate. The modders will always move past the official release. In the case of Brawl they created a legitimately better game in every way.

Whatever Smashes future may end up being I personally would like the game to stop taking these hiatuses. It's just frustrating and boring. Not even Air-Ride 2 would be enough for me to think it was worth letting Smash sit. Smash has either outgrown Sakurai or him and Nintendo need to figure something else out because this "Sakurai needs a breaK" meme isn't going to last forever and it sure is frustrating to hear two cycles in a row now.

Shroob

Sup?
The guy that made it is obviously really passionate about it and was only forced to stop once hit with a cease and desist. I personally feel very strongly against anti-mod practices because I think mods are inherently at the core of what makes gaming great. That all being said I think that even if the mod was totally abandoned with nobody having access to it at all it's still encouraging to see that all of what he achieved is still very possible. I hope he didn't just throw away that work because that would be a shame. He hopefully would have saved it for when Nintendo is ready to just **** off somewhat.

I understand that but that's just what comes with leaving Smash to stagnate. The modders will always move past the official release. In the case of Brawl they created a legitimately better game in every way.

Whatever Smashes future may end up being I personally would like the game to stop taking these hiatuses. It's just frustrating and boring. Not even Air-Ride 2 would be enough for me to think it was worth letting Smash sit. Smash has either outgrown Sakurai or him and Nintendo need to figure something else out because this "Sakurai needs a breaK" meme isn't going to last forever and it sure is frustrating to hear two cycles in a row now.
I mean

Issue is, these kind of mods can never become big anymore.

Like, Project M, if the rumors are to be believed, was outright killed by Nintendo, and no one with a brain will have a mod like this on a big tourney stage. Look at what happened with Slippi. Like, at that point, what are you even using the mod for? To play with friends at home and versus ai? We're a fair bit away from getting a Switch emulator running at comparable frames, so until that point, you're basically just modding for in-person play.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can I say that I really dislike the whole "modders make better games than official developers"?

Don't get me wrong, mods can be amazing and they're a huge part of fan-generated content for video games but like, very rarely do they make something whole from the scratch. 95% of mods would be nothing if there wasn't a finished game that they use the assets of.

And that's perfectly fine! As long as you're not making a profit from it, who cares. I just don't like how some people completely ignore the hard work going into developing a video game and then celebrate the fan works that usually need far, far less work as "making a better game".

There's a reason the Project M team tried to make an original Smash knockoff game and it crashed and burned. I respect makers of good mods but it's not an excuse to disregard the hard work that people put into producing new games.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Can I say that I really dislike the whole "modders make better games than official developers"?

Don't get me wrong, mods can be amazing and they're a huge part of fan-generated content for video games but like, very rarely do they make something whole from the scratch. 95% of mods would be nothing if there wasn't a finished game that they use the assets of.

And that's perfectly fine! As long as you're not making a profit from it, who cares. I just don't like how some people completely ignore the hard work going into developing a video game and then celebrate the fan works that usually need far, far less work as "making a better game".

There's a reason the Project M team tried to make an original Smash knockoff game and it crashed and burned. I respect makers of good mods but it's not an excuse to disregard the hard work that people put into producing new games.
Just thought you should know that there is an unpopular opinions thread.

But yes, I do agree. I'm not gonna say that Sakurai and other creators are infallible, or that officially-released products are perfect. But at the end of the day, modders are only doing a glorified touch-up job and did nothing to bring the very games, which they themselves are usually fans of, into existence.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Not gonna dwelve much here but IMO, considering how Ultimate added a lot of character requested during the Smash 4 era (except Geno lol get owned), i think whatever comes next probably will probably take into account the names parroted during this game's time.

Crash, Master Chief, Doomslayer, Dante, you name it. These guys are definitely a consideration for huge third party additions.

Now if they are feasable, that's another story.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Not gonna dwelve much here but IMO, considering how Ultimate added a lot of character requested during the Smash 4 era (except Geno lol get owned), i think whatever comes next probably will probably take into account the names parroted during this game's time.

Crash, Master Chief, Doomslayer, Dante, you name it. These guys are definitely a consideration for huge third party additions.

Now if they are feasable, that's another story.
After Sora, I don’t think you can really argue a character isn’t feasible. If Sakurai wants the character bad enough, I think he can make it happen for pretty much anyone. The only questionable company is Sony which would probably be much more difficult to negotiate with.

I would love to get these highly requested characters but I just hope Smash 6 gives a little love to smaller series, especially those with historical significance to Nintendo.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I see Western character as the least likely 3rd party picks and unless if it’s really highly demanded like Banjo and Steve
The main audience target for most smash characters are still the Japanese

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I see Western character as the least likely 3rd party picks and unless if it’s really highly demanded like Banjo and Steve
Sadly, you’re probably right. It’s a shame because there are so many Western characters that would be perfect for Smash. Still, like I mentioned above, I think Sakurai can get pretty much any character if there is enough demand for them. I would love for Western games to get a little more love in the next game. I’m really hoping we can get a second Rare character, particularly the Battletoads or Fulgore for the next Smash. As far as Western companies go, Microsoft should be easier to negotiate with since they already have two characters in Smash.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Sadly, you’re probably right. It’s a shame because there are so many Western characters that would be perfect for Smash. Still, like I mentioned above, I think Sakurai can get pretty much any character if there is enough demand for them. I would love for Western games to get a little more love in the next game. I’m really hoping we can get a second Rare character, particularly the Battletoads or Fulgore for the next Smash. As far as Western companies go, Microsoft should be easier to negotiate with since they already have two characters in Smash.
I can tell that both Ubisoft and Bethesda were trying to push for their content but they just missed their chances or have been passed over to get someone playable which is how we ended up with some Ubisoft spirits and 2 Miis and how we got 3 Bethesda Miis

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hayabusa.
I think Hyabusa has a really good chance to make it into the next Smash. As much as I would personally prefer Lu Bu for a Koei rep, I think Ryu Hyabusa is more likely and would still be a great choice. He’s probably at the top of the list as far as characters that debuted during the NES era as well.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's not the issue as much as it is having to constantly talk with the holders of various characters to make sure their representation is acceptable, as well as licensing songs and character artwork. Obviously this is easier when you are going to be talking with Japanese people.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That's not the issue as much as it is having to constantly talk with the holders of various characters to make sure their representation is acceptable, as well as licensing songs and character artwork. Obviously this is easier when you are going to be talking with Japanese people.
Yeah, that’s one reason I feel that Microsoft has an edge over other Western developers having already negotiated with Nintendo for Smash. I feel characters like Master Chief, Doomslayer, Rash, and Fulgore have a decent shot at making it in the next game as long as support is there. With the rumors of a new Killer Instinct in development, this is probably Fulgore’s best chance.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, that’s one reason I feel that Microsoft has an edge over other Western developers having already negotiated with Nintendo for Smash. I feel characters like Master Chief, Doomslayer, Rash, and Fulgore have a decent shot at making it in the next game as long as support is there. With the rumors of a new Killer Instinct in development, this is probably Fulgore’s best chance.
Doomguy is unlikely for next Smash because he is redundant with Master Chief and now they are both owned by Microsoft meaning that they are now directly competing against each other.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Doomguy is unlikely for next Smash because he is redundant with Master Chief and now they are both owned by Microsoft meaning that they are now directly competing against each other.
My thought is that we could get either Chief or Doomslayer as well as one classic Rare character for the next Smash and the other along with a third Rare character for Smash 7. That probably just me being overly optimistic but I could see it happening.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It seems like it's best to put "I think" before posts like this, rather than acting like one opinion is the only option.

Doomguy got a Mii costume while Master Chief didn't (and we saw that DLC Mii costumes can serve as ways of acknowledging characters who were either popular or considered but couldn't make it in, like Rex, Geno, Shantae/Dante/Dragonborn, etc.), so that seems like a potential point in his favour. (at the very least, it's acknowledging that people want to see him in Smash)

Either way, we have no idea what's likely or unlikely for the next Smash Bros.; for all we know, Microsoft could back out of Smash entirely in the next game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom