• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newton who? M-308 drops in.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

M-308 Gunner reporting for duty....
Who?
M-308 that's who. M-308 is the main protagonist of the classic NES game Metal Storm. The year is 2501 and humankind has colonized the entire solar system. On Pluto, a robotic controlled laser defense system has begun to malfunction and threatens the entire solar system with destruction.

M-308 is humankind's only hope. Equipped with a Fusion Rifle, Plasma Beam, Shield Force, Gravity Fireball
G-REV Gravity Control Device, Anti-Gravity Unit, Hyper Boosters, Armed Movable Wings, Sensor Array, and Thermal Vents, baddies stand little chance when confronted with this hero.

Why?
Why not? It has an amazing arsenal at it's disposal. Special directional shielding while on the move makes this hero not only an offensive behemoth, but also a very defense oriented character. It goes without saying, that the gravity manipulation aspect gives this character a very special uniqueness. Couple that with the fact that after it changes the direction of gravity, it can turn into a fireball as it follows gravity's influence.

Besides the obvious applications of it's long to mid range weaponry, we have M-308's sheer bulk and strength for up close encounters. Opponents, don't let that bulk lure you into a false security, with M-308's Hyper Boosters, it can keep up with some of the more quick characters. Also, don't get too close, those thermal vents can get pretty hot and M-308 is not afraid to show you just how much they can burn.

But how will M-308 play and more importantly, fit in?
Honestly, I am not sure. I just think that M-308 is a fascinating character and the unique arsenal and abilities at it's disposal would make it an interesting prospect to think about. Personally, I figure that M-308 would be a good mid-range fighter with it's gravity based abilities giving it a good edge on stage recovery. It's specials and grapple moves would be weapon and gravity based. But I will leave the rest to imagination as I am not really that great at that kind of thing. I am curious to see what anyone else comes up with.

For those of you who have never seen Metal Storm played, here is a long-play on Youtube

AlRex

Smash Lord
Obscure but good choice. This game was rather fun, and unique in some ways.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I figure I'd bring this to the forefront with all the new faces. I know my choice has next to zero chance of appearing, but he is a interesting character with a lot of potential for an interesting moveset.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
"Metal Storm" was a great game. It still goes for an insane price on Ebay. But i'd be surprised to see it represented even in trophy form. It's really kind of forgotten, but it deserves to be remembered, along with "Battle Of Olympus" which was a Zelda 2 clone that took the formula to new places (like walking on the ceiling with magic shoes).

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
That is some cool ****. Ray is first party, though. Plus, he's been in a bunch of games.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
A totally underated game. I had the chance to rent it when young. Add me as a supporter but does Irem still exists?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I love this game! I used to play it over at a buddy's house as a kid, good times.

This is certainly a long shot (is IREM still in business even?) but I whole-heartedly support. The gravity shifting mechanic would be a challenge to implement but would bring something never seen before to the table.

Top Bottom