• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newer Smash player looking for a main to settle on.

FrostFeydryn

Smash Cadet
I'm really enjoying this game so far, and I feel like it has the potential to hold my time for many years to come. Currently I have reached a wall. I am having trouble choosing between Lucina, ZSS and Rosalina for my Absolute main in this game. I believe they are fun and have potential but Learning this game can be harsh at times for a newer player so I kinda need all the advantage I can get. Do you all think that either of these 3 are good starters? And if so what is the best method to learning the mechanics. Personally I was going to just play like 3500 straight games with one character until I just drowned my muscle memory with this game.

Thanks.

AetherStorm

Smash Cadet
NNID
AetherStorm
3DS FC
3093-7092-7192
Out of those three, I personally think Lucina is easiest to pick up for beginners, but it really just depends on what you think is best for you.

I got better at the game by watching tournaments on Twitch and paying attention to what the pros did. It's also good to play against a wide variety of people. I played a mediocre Marth until last night, when I faced a crazy good Ike player, and was forced into a different playstyle than normal. Turns out, that playstyle has mad me win at least 100% more of my matches.)

It all comes down to personal preference though. If you feel like you can play a character well, go ahead and play them. You don't need to stick to one main. (I have at least 5 ;)

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Go with multiple mains. I feel like you should definitely have a go to character, but it's good to practice with all of them because playing multiple characters helps you find holes in your playstyle with other characters, if that makes sense. For example, I like Rosalina on 3DS and Jigglypuff on WiiU, but I have 3 secondaries in each.

As far as your scenario, I'd have to agree with AetherStorm and say that Lucina is easiest to pick up. She's a good starter mid-tier (imo) character who doesn't need a whole lot of tech skill to perform with well. Once you develop more sophisticated and consistent tech skill, Marth is definitely superior because of his tipper. Sheik has always been a good starter character too. Rosalina is good once you start getting more comfortable with tech skill as well: she's a weird case in that she's still good if you don't really know what you're doing, but actually requires a lot of skill to play at a high level. This contrasts to something like Melee Fox, who is absolute garbage until you actually know what you're doing.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
I find it extremely helpful to have multiple mains as even a game as great as smash can become a little stale if you are doing the same thing over and over. Plus adding more characters allows you to be more flexible and use those characters in unfavorable matchups. I personally hate mirror matches so I usually swap Rosie for lucina when that happens.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Go with multiple mains. I feel like you should definitely have a go to character, but it's good to practice with all of them because playing multiple characters helps you find holes in your playstyle with other characters, if that makes sense. For example, I like Rosalina on 3DS and Jigglypuff on WiiU, but I have 3 secondaries in each.

As far as your scenario, I'd have to agree with AetherStorm and say that Lucina is easiest to pick up. She's a good starter mid-tier (imo) character who doesn't need a whole lot of tech skill to perform with well. Once you develop more sophisticated and consistent tech skill, Marth is definitely superior because of his tipper. Sheik has always been a good starter character too. Rosalina is good once you start getting more comfortable with tech skill as well: she's a weird case in that she's still good if you don't really know what you're doing, but actually requires a lot of skill to play at a high level. This contrasts to something like Melee Fox, who is absolute garbage until you actually know what you're doing.
I find it extremely helpful to have multiple mains as even a game as great as smash can become a little stale if you are doing the same thing over and over. Plus adding more characters allows you to be more flexible and use those characters in unfavorable matchups. I personally hate mirror matches so I usually swap Rosie for lucina when that happens.
I found, if you want to get into the competitive scene, you need to pick a character and only play that one. Because when you play a lot, the skill gets distributed among them, but if you play one, you will begin to understand things better, and you can transfer later for other mains.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I found, if you want to get into the competitive scene, you need to pick a character and only play that one. Because when you play a lot, the skill gets distributed among them, but if you play one, you will begin to understand things better, and you can transfer later for other mains.
That's completely subjective and depends on the person's own adaptability.

Personally I haven't really lost my touch with Rosalina too much even on those times I don't really play as her. Same goes for most other characters. Lately I've been trying to learn more characters like Bowser and Little Mac, and I intend to brush up my Sonic and Yoshi soon, but Rosalina hasn't really suffered from this, and remains my best/my go to character.

-----------

To answer the OPs question:

-Lucina is the easiest to pick up and is a great beginner character, but if you plan to get really serious, she isn't that great competitively and even if you do like her for more serious play, you'll be better off moving to Marth at that point, since Lucina is literally just supposed to be "Baby's First Marth".

-ZSS is a great character and is considered high tier, and can do pretty well competitively. I personally think she is fairly easy to use too.

-Rosalina has one of the highest skill floors in the game, if not the highest, so she's hard to get into especially if her playstyle does not naturally fit for you when you first try her. But she's generally agreed to be one of the best characters in the game. Personally I think she is outright the best in terms of raw potential. I find she doesn't get boring fast either because one of her greatest strengths is that she embodies creativity, and you are encouraged to come up with your own set ups for Luma and what not.

If you don't care that much about competitive play, then Lucina could be sustainable as a main if you find the other two too awkward to use. If you do care about competitive play, use Lucina for a while to train up your fundamentals, but you may want to consider moving on to someone else after that, and then relegating Lucina (or Marth, since he's better) to a pocket character.

Also if you like Lucina a lot, then other characters to consider are Marth, Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, Pit/Dark Pit, and Lucario. (All characters that are easy to pick up - and Marth is simply a more advanced Lucina)

If you like ZSS a lot, other characters to consider might be Sheik, Fox, and Sonic. (All fast, rushdown characters with potential for mind games)

If you like Rosalina a lot, other characters to consider might be Pac-Man, Mega Man, Olimar, Villager, Ness, and Duck Hunt Duo (all characters that have a unique, tricky feeling to them. They're not the easiest to pick up but they are solid and have some similarities to Rosalina in terms of some fundamentals).

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
I definitely like rosa's pace
Then here's MY advice: go with Rosa. I think mentally you've already choosen her since you posted this on her board, and i can tell you that it'd be easier to just start the grind to get used to her now. That way, you can slowly learn what makes her so good as you perfect your fundamentals.

Top Bottom