• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newegg.com LANFEST 2k7: Ontario, CA--October 6

Arash

Smash Lord
Date: October 6th, 2007. Tournament starts at 10AM

Place: Ontario Convention Center, Exhibit Hall A
2000 E. Convention Center Way
Ontario, California 91764
(a 25 minute drive from Super Champ Combo)

Registry: http://www.newegg.com/lanfest2k7 ($25 to enter SSBM)

Prizes: 1st place: $1000 Cash + Sponsor prize (TBD)
2nd place: $500 Cash + Sponsor prize (TBD)
3rd place: $300 Cash + Sponsor prize (TBD)

Rules:
- 1v1 Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament
- 4 Stock, 6 minutes, no items
- Double Elimination Bracket, each match is best 2 out of 3 with finals best 3 out of 5
- Random stages: Final Destination, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Battlefield
- Counterpick stages: Mute City, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar, Poke Floats, Corneria, Jungle Japes
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser of the First match picks counter-stage, winner changes character, loser changes character in that order.
- Stalling tactics and glitches are not allowed. "Wobbles" technique, however, IS ALLOWED
- No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
- Stage Bans: You may reset one neutral stage, and ban one counter-pick stage.
- Double Blind character pick is allowed

So, for those that remember the Buy.com tournament in March, it had high payouts and the venue was on par with the MLG pro circuit of 2006. Newegg.com is putting on a LAN tournament that features Melee, with literally double the payout, IN CASH. Needless to say it will be an excellent tournament.

The cherry on top is that it's the weekend after Super Champ Combo, which many people are coming to. The venue itself is less than a half-hour drive away, and $1000 first prize is pretty much on the level of only big SoCal tournaments.

"BUT WAIT, I went to Buy.com LAN tournament in March, and they had laggy TVs and didn't seed well at all!"

That is why the tournament host, Jinmaster of Tekken fame, is working closely with the Smash community to make sure it is a successfully run tournament. Not to mention, since it's LANfest 2k7, they will have other side events such as the PC build off and the ultimate case mod contest. They also have tournaments for Counter-strike, Day of Defeat, Command and Conquer, Gears of War, Tekken 5 and Guitar Hero 2, all with equally impressive payouts.

REGISTER ONLINE! There may or may not be a cap, but to be safe, online registry is highly encouraged!

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Aww, SON OF A *****!

It says Ontario on it and says "CA"!

Ontario just so happens to be a province in Canada while CA can stand for Canada. Then again, it would be lulzy to see Arash host a tournament in Canada. Mingdames.

Hope this tournament goes well.

Dodger

Smash Ace
Hahha yeah, reading throught the first post I was like, "Wasn't this the tournament with all the laggy TVs?" Sounds like fun.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Hahha yeah, reading throught the first post I was like, "Wasn't this the tournament with all the laggy TVs?" Sounds like fun.
Yeah, during buy.com, I saw all the laggy TVs and actually met a ViewSonic executive, who was competing in gears of war LOL. He was wondering why everyone was complaining and I said, "Hey man, I love your TVs and monitors, but they're probably the worst for tournaments."

--GCII

Arash

Smash Lord
lol @ me hosting a tournament in ontario, canada

though i would like to visit canada one day:)

Phrozn

Smash Journeyman
Aww, SON OF A *****!

Ontario just so happens to be a province in Canada while CA can stand for Canada. Then again, it would be lulzy to see Arash host a tournament in Canada. Mingdames.

yeah omg! lol have fun

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
:@:@ I thought this was in Canada Ontario. I got so excited. Oh well lol. Arash.. good job for mindgaming we canadian' -.-

Host here? :p

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Haha I also thought this was Ontario Canada and I was like "That's not too bad of a trip for a thousand dollars..." but nooooo California has to have a city named Ontario.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Aww, SON OF A *****!

Ya i got mindgame'd too ;_; Thought Arash was coming to Canada.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Stuck. Arash, remember what we talked about in the PM though, I expect good things.

$1000, come on guys thats good money.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
That is why the tournament host, Jinmaster of Tekken fame, is working closely with the Smash community to make sure it is a successfully run tournament.
i hope things work out well.

BTW @ Jinmaster, most of MD/VA waiting on those EGL tourney paychecks from last January. ALL of them

kiwiii

Smash Lord
i hope things work out well.

BTW @ Jinmaster, most of MD/VA waiting on those EGL tourney paychecks from last January. ALL of them
EGL was such a scam. how could you ****ing do that to people?
I stand by my statement until all paychecks are received.

Arash

Smash Lord
at buy.com tournament in march they paid the winners immediately after the tourney, and it's going to be the same here

The Game II

Smash Champion
jinmaster, the schedule says the console tourneys are running at the same time, will there be time set aside so people can watch the finals for every tourney?

If not, I at least want to be there for the 3s and melee endings.

--GCII

Jinmaster

Smash Rookie
Game II - Not sure about separate finals.

The schedule has each console tournament to start at 10am both days. I will call Arash tonight with an update on the extact time players are asked to attend.

Jinmaster.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
yes you did jinmaster, you did work for them. whatever happened, you had some sort of arrangement with them. your SN was EGL Mike as some sort of alias, and you were advertising the tournament for them. you were at the tournament, i saw and spoke with you. i also ran the tournament. if i remember correctly, there was no DOA, it was all smash and Halo 2. i have nothing against you, but i do have something against tournaments that charge $30 a person and dont pay out prize money to the winners. all i know is that you were somehow affiliated, and now i cant find any info on EGL anywhere. most of our area has forgotten about it by now, but i havent.

sorry i dont mean to gunk up this thread, ill stop posting :p

The Game II

Smash Champion
Game II - Not sure about separate finals.

The schedule has each console tournament to start at 10am both days. I will call Arash tonight with an update on the extact time players are asked to attend.

Jinmaster.

Thanks for the update. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to watch the console tourneys as well as the CSS pro teams. I'll probably be bugging you throughout with bracket updates if you're using TM or TIO or foosballheaven.

--GCII

Tritan

Smash Cadet
On the off chance any of you smashers check this that are at the lan, come play some friendlies with me. :D I'm setup at the back right of the byoc area. Got smash and halo 3 setup next to my PC.

I'd love to get some friendly games in without having to walk around asking everyone who they are. ;) heh. Word of caution: The monitor my buddy brought to play on is an LCD. >.< Minor gameplay lag. I figure it was better than nothing though. Other than that, see you when the tourn starts. ^_^

Tritan

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the games guys. I had a lot of fun despite the numerous hold ups we had with missing players. :) It was my first tournament for smash and I definitely will be coming back for more.

Nice meeting you Ken, mana, hugs and anyone else I might have missed. There was a lot of chill players. :) Here's to competing again in the future. ^_^

G'luck when when the finals come up on center stage.

[Edit] I almost forgot Arash! Nice meeting you too man. Thanks for running the brackets and shouting for MIA players. ;)

The Game II

Smash Champion
Your final four scheduled for Sunday (I didn't see the bracket, and I doubt anyone else did, so I'm saying "scheduled")

Winners: Ken vs. DSF
Losers: Hugs vs. Manacloud

No upsets today from what I saw.

--GCII

FluffyNeko

Smash Rookie
Hey,

Been trolling these boards for a long time, but never posted. It was great fun to meet everyone at the tourney and get to play a bit. Even though I got my *** handed to me, it was still a blast. Hopefully I'll see you guys at the Play N Trade on the 13th.

The Game II

Smash Champion
I'm going to have the semifinals (DSF-Hugs) and the finals (winner vs. Ken) on my site whenever they take place.

They ran the two preliminaries at the same time so I couldn't deeply follow them.

--GCII

EDIT: They're running the semis now and the finals later today. So here we go ...

Top Bottom