• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Newcomer Support Thread Directory (Check here before making one)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Would it be a good idea to just have a thread sorta like RTC, but for just trying to sell you on a character? As in, every couple days, it would cycle through characters, describe who they are, what they could bring, how they would play, etc. I think it would be a cool way to try and introduce people to new characters and games, since RTC is mainly focused on the rating, with the wants being more of a side thing.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Would it be a good idea to just have a thread sorta like RTC, but for just trying to sell you on a character? As in, every couple days, it would cycle through characters, describe who they are, what they could bring, how they would play, etc. I think it would be a cool way to try and introduce people to new characters and games, since RTC is mainly focused on the rating, with the wants being more of a side thing.
Oooh, I like your thinking!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
that could be pretty fun

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I like this idea, but allow me to play devil's advocate. I worry about such a thread's capacity to stay on topic and not devolve into character arguments since they're covering either unpopular or unlikely characters. I think there'd need to be a good amount of policing on such a thread for it to work properly.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I love this idea. This way people will talk about different characters instead of the usual 10 or so.

And it will allow me to gush over Crypto and get him more fans.

amageish

Smash Master
Fantastic idea! Having a dedicated place for everyone to gush over underdogs and overlooked characters would be a lot of fun. It would require well-written instructions to avoid it descending into "Couldn't X be represented by Y instead" arguments, but I'd be super into it if it can be pulled off.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Fantastic idea! Having a dedicated place for everyone to gush over underdogs and overlooked characters would be a lot of fun. It would require well-written instructions to avoid it descending into "Couldn't X be represented by Y instead" arguments, but I'd be super into it if it can be pulled off.
I'm sure Sari Sari might have a field day contributing to that!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I like this idea, but allow me to play devil's advocate. I worry about such a thread's capacity to stay on topic and not devolve into character arguments since they're covering either unpopular or unlikely characters. I think there'd need to be a good amount of policing on such a thread for it to work properly.
Fair point. As a couple others have mentioned, there should be rules against attacking the character being covered and their fans. Opinions on their likelihood should be allowed, but debates should be reserved for the main thread or the RTC thread. I also believe people should be allowed to clear up any misconceptions and incorrect facts about the character-For example, say we were debating Terry before we actually got him, and someone said FF/KoF had never been on a Nintendo system before, which would be incorrect. Debates should be stopped quickly, but misconceptions should able to be cleared up.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Fair point. As a couple others have mentioned, there should be rules against attacking the character being covered and their fans. Opinions on their likelihood should be allowed, but debates should be reserved for the main thread or the RTC thread. I also believe people should be allowed to clear up any misconceptions and incorrect facts about the character-For example, say we were debating Terry before we actually got him, and someone said FF/KoF had never been on a Nintendo system before, which would be incorrect. Debates should be stopped quickly, but misconceptions should able to be cleared up.
I think in a vacuum this is good, but I don't know the current capacity of SB staff to accommodate such a thread, especially if part of the thread is advocating for a character's chances, which naturally brings debate. The Square Enix thread had this problem a lot when it was initially made for similar reasons.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think in a vacuum this is good, but I don't know the current capacity of SB staff to accommodate such a thread, especially if part of the thread is advocating for a character's chances, which naturally brings debate. The Square Enix thread had this problem a lot when it was initially made for similar reasons.
Yeah, I was mostly thinking of an overview of the character, i.e. This is what they're from, this is their weapon, this is how they'd fill, etc. Opinion on their chances should be allowed, but should mostly be kept to a minimum.

The whole concept actually came about from me realizing that I have no idea how Neku would play, despite him being tossed around a fair bit. I thought he had a spear, but realized I don't know where that bit of info came from, so I had no idea how he fights and how that would translate into a moveset. Mostly, it's "This is the character, they're from this game, this is how they'd play, this is what they'd bring." Mainly focused on the content rather than the chances.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Can that content include things like Classic Modes, Spirit Boards, and music for their stages?
I'd say that's fair. It's less arguing for their chances and more trying to get people wanting them, something RTC can't really do because it's more about the likeliness than the want. On that note, the want sometimes leads to bias, and that affects the chances, so I say it's best to just let people dream about what could be, without reality holding them back.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I was mostly thinking of an overview of the character, i.e. This is what they're from, this is their weapon, this is how they'd fill, etc. Opinion on their chances should be allowed, but should mostly be kept to a minimum.

The whole concept actually came about from me realizing that I have no idea how Neku would play, despite him being tossed around a fair bit. I thought he had a spear, but realized I don't know where that bit of info came from, so I had no idea how he fights and how that would translate into a moveset. Mostly, it's "This is the character, they're from this game, this is how they'd play, this is what they'd bring." Mainly focused on the content rather than the chances.
Is the idea it would have a nominations system and change daily-ish, a la RTC? Or do you think it'd be more free for all support-related thread like the old Square Enix general thread was?

If the former, calling it something like "Predict Their Content" could work and make it a bit clear that it isn't a Rate Their Chances thing given how Rate Their Chances is a thread that already exists. I think it'd be easy to defend the thread as not being the place to debate odds, but I also don't know how many forum users would read the rules...

Either way, I do love this idea. I've been lowering my SmashBoards consumption lately as I've found a lot of the discussion is cyclical and a bit tiring, but the idea of just spinning hypotheticals for random character pack's contents sounds super fun and like a breadth of fresh air in a fairly rooted-in speculation scene.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is the idea it would have a nominations system and change daily-ish, a la RTC? Or do you think it'd be more free for all support-related thread like the old Square Enix general thread was?

If the former, calling it something like "Predict Their Content" could work and make it a bit clear that it isn't a Rate Their Chances thing given how Rate Their Chances is a thread that already exists. I think it'd be easy to defend the thread as not being the place to debate odds, but I also don't know how many forum users would read the rules...

Either way, I do love this idea. I've been lowering my SmashBoards consumption lately as I've found a lot of the discussion is cyclical and a bit tiring, but the idea of just spinning hypotheticals for random character pack's contents sounds super fun and like a breadth of fresh air in a fairly rooted-in speculation scene.
I was thinking more the former, so everyone gets their time in the spotlight and we're not talking over each other. I was thinking more Sell Us On This Fighter, though Predict Their Content would work fine too. I'm thinking we start by suggesting a character each, then voting on them, or just setting them out with no particular order. After that, we just nominate characters as normal. Maybe people who give a good description of the character and their potential content could get extra noms like in RTC, since without them it might make everyone's votes a bit stagnant.

amageish

Smash Master
I was thinking more the former, so everyone gets their time in the spotlight and we're not talking over each other. I was thinking more Sell Us On This Fighter, though Predict Their Content would work fine too. I'm thinking we start by suggesting a character each, then voting on them, or just setting them out with no particular order. After that, we just nominate characters as normal. Maybe people who give a good description of the character and their potential content could get extra noms like in RTC, since without them it might make everyone's votes a bit stagnant.
That sounds like a good approach! Maybe set a word count for the extra noms as a way of making it more of an objective perimeter? Overall, I think that'd be really cool and fun. Probably would have to check to ensure mods have the time to have another thread with a daily-ish name change.

Sell Us On This Fighter is probably a better name; I just like Predict Their Content as it abbreviates similar to RTC as PTC...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That sounds like a good approach! Maybe set a word count for the extra noms as a way of making it more of an objective perimeter? Overall, I think that'd be really cool and fun. Probably would have to check to ensure mods have the time to have another thread with a daily-ish name change.

Sell Us On This Fighter is probably a better name; I just like Predict Their Content as it abbreviates similar to RTC as PTC...
Glad you like it! SUOTF might be a bit of a mouthful, though; Maybe just Sell The Fighter/STF might be good, or just Sell Us The Fighter. Something that's accurate, but not too long.

amageish

Smash Master
Glad you like it! SUOTF might be a bit of a mouthful, though; Maybe just Sell The Fighter/STF might be good, or just Sell Us The Fighter. Something that's accurate, but not too long.
I like Sell The Fighter. I do wonder if the "Us" in the title may make it seem more debate-y then I think you're going for, as it could come across as "Try To Convince An Apathetic Audience on the Fighter Being a Good Idea" which could lead to more debates?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I like Sell The Fighter. I do wonder if the "Us" in the title may make it seem more debate-y then I think you're going for, as it could come across as "Try To Convince An Apathetic Audience on the Fighter Being a Good Idea" which could lead to more debates?
Yeah, that might make it a bit problematic. Let's stick to just Sell the Fighter.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That's what I'm wondering. It's a really cool concept, and I'd be surprised (but still a bit bummed) if it didn't go anywhere.
I would've let it sit a little while longer, but I realized how cyclic the main thread gets when we have nothing to talk about. I think it'd be nice for people to try and get people behind their most wanted, since the main thread shoots down anything deemed "unlikely" and goes back to discussing Geno for the 876546th time, RTC is more about the likelihood than the desire, and 90% of the time you'll only really go to that character's thread if you want to support them. I think it would be a good thing to let people freely discuss their most-wanteds without restraint.

amageish

Smash Master
I would've let it sit a little while longer, but I realized how cyclic the main thread gets when we have nothing to talk about. I think it'd be nice for people to try and get people behind their most wanted, since the main thread shoots down anything deemed "unlikely" and goes back to discussing Geno for the 876546th time, RTC is more about the likelihood than the desire, and 90% of the time you'll only really go to that character's thread if you want to support them. I think it would be a good thing to let people freely discuss their most-wanteds without restraint.
Maybe message someone who runs the RTC thread? I think you could just make a STF thread yourself if you write out rules/guidelines for the thread and begin the nomination processes, but the challenge would be finding a mod with the time/energy to update the titles regularly like the RTC does...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I've been working on a support thread for Beck (Mighty no. 9). Can someone add the Beck support thread after I post it?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Here's a General Support thread for Skylanders:

By the way, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth you haven't updated the list in awhile. Has anything come up on your end?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've sketched out a rough draft for the Sell The Fighter thread's rules.

The General thread is too cyclic, and RTC too competitive. Support threads are useful for discussing your lesser-known wants, but you'd only really go there if you actually looked for them. That's where Sell The Fighter comes in.

The Sell The Fighter thread is a way to enlighten people on your lesser-known desires, and to learn about characters you wouldn't have known about before. The general formula functions similarly to that of RTC. For about a "day" (Two to four days real time), people get together to explain their character, where they come from, what they could bring, etc. Outsiders can come in and respectfully ask questions, so that they come out with a better understanding of the character. The character's support thread will be notified, and a link to there will also be given in the beginning and end of the day.
At the end of a day, people will nominate another character to focus on. Those who participated greatly to the conversation, such as submitting moveset concepts or ideas for the stages, get extra noms. The standard amount of noms is 5, and extras are awarded in groups of five as well.

The Rules
  1. To nominate a character, the only requirement is that must have a support thread. General threads work as well; So, for example, Kratos can be nominated because of the general Sony thread. On the flipside, if a character from a certain series has a support thread, a general discussion about the game is also allowed-For example, Heavy's support thread allows for a general Team Fortress 2 discussion to be nominated. If you want to nominate a character who doesn't have a support thread, you'd better hop to it and make one yourself.
    1. Of course, this automatically disqualifies anyone who isn't eligible for a support thread, so no Goku. I'll make an exception for grey area characters-That is, fourth-parties that have game appearances that are highly influential and sometimes surpass their original medium-Such as Geralt, James Bond, Hatsune Miku, and Arkham series Batman, since they wouldn't be eligible for a support thread but would still be interesting to discuss.
    2. No character is too unlikely or obscure to be nominated, so you can nominate your pipe dreams as much as you want. No character is too popular, either, though considering the nomination system I'd imagine people would want to suggest less-discussed characters anyways.
  2. When discussing your character, you are allowed to post your own movesets, stage ideas, tracklists, etc. You are also allowed to post other people's videos and pages outside of SmashBoards for their ideas. You may also tag users you know are big fans of this character, so we can say "Hey Scol, we're discussing the cast of Resident Evil, also known as Biohazard in Japan. Time for the Jonespost!" If you're an outsider, you are allowed to ask questions, such as "How do they fight?", or "How would they play?"
  3. BE RESPECTFUL. If you have a chip on your shoulder for that character specifically, don't join in unless you change your mind. If you are a fan of that character, don't use the opportunity to take potshots at other users or character you don't like. STF exists so that we can escape the burdens of the other threads and have fun, so don't bring down the mood. So, for example...
    1. DO: "I can't make heads or tails of Kingdom Hearts. Could you explain what's going on for me?" "Sorry pal, we understand about as much as you do (Re: absolutely nothing)."
    2. DON'T: "Kingdom Hearts is a stupid series with a stupid plot and stupid Sora will never come to Smash!!1!1"
  4. Try to distance yourself from likelihood and anything going for or against the candidates. If you think your character isn't likely, this is your chance to dream. If you do think your character is likely, nothing turns other people away like shoving the character down their throats. Just pretend the character has already been announced, and Masahiro Sakurai has chosen you specifically to to do the presentation for him. Who is this, where are they from, what's their significance, and what do they bring?
  5. Only discuss a character during their day. When it's time to move on, it's time to move on. You got your time in the limelight, now let others have it too.
Anything amendments you think I should add?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've sketched out a rough draft for the Sell The Fighter thread's rules.

The General thread is too cyclic, and RTC too competitive. Support threads are useful for discussing your lesser-known wants, but you'd only really go there if you actually looked for them. That's where Sell The Fighter comes in.

The Sell The Fighter thread is a way to enlighten people on your lesser-known desires, and to learn about characters you wouldn't have known about before. The general formula functions similarly to that of RTC. For about a "day" (Two to four days real time), people get together to explain their character, where they come from, what they could bring, etc. Outsiders can come in and respectfully ask questions, so that they come out with a better understanding of the character. The character's support thread will be notified, and a link to there will also be given in the beginning and end of the day.
At the end of a day, people will nominate another character to focus on. Those who participated greatly to the conversation, such as submitting moveset concepts or ideas for the stages, get extra noms. The standard amount of noms is 5, and extras are awarded in groups of five as well.

The Rules
  1. To nominate a character, the only requirement is that must have a support thread. General threads work as well; So, for example, Kratos can be nominated because of the general Sony thread. On the flipside, if a character from a certain series has a support thread, a general discussion about the game is also allowed-For example, Heavy's support thread allows for a general Team Fortress 2 discussion to be nominated. If you want to nominate a character who doesn't have a support thread, you'd better hop to it and make one yourself.
    1. Of course, this automatically disqualifies anyone who isn't eligible for a support thread, so no Goku. I'll make an exception for grey area characters-That is, fourth-parties that have game appearances that are highly influential and sometimes surpass their original medium-Such as Geralt, James Bond, Hatsune Miku, and Arkham series Batman, since they wouldn't be eligible for a support thread but would still be interesting to discuss.
    2. No character is too unlikely or obscure to be nominated, so you can nominate your pipe dreams as much as you want. No character is too popular, either, though considering the nomination system I'd imagine people would want to suggest less-discussed characters anyways.
  2. When discussing your character, you are allowed to post your own movesets, stage ideas, tracklists, etc. You are also allowed to post other people's videos and pages outside of SmashBoards for their ideas. You may also tag users you know are big fans of this character, so we can say "Hey Scol, we're discussing the cast of Resident Evil, also known as Biohazard in Japan. Time for the Jonespost!" If you're an outsider, you are allowed to ask questions, such as "How do they fight?", or "How would they play?"
  3. BE RESPECTFUL. If you have a chip on your shoulder for that character specifically, don't join in unless you change your mind. If you are a fan of that character, don't use the opportunity to take potshots at other users or character you don't like. STF exists so that we can escape the burdens of the other threads and have fun, so don't bring down the mood. So, for example...
    1. DO: "I can't make heads or tails of Kingdom Hearts. Could you explain what's going on for me?" "Sorry pal, we understand about as much as you do (Re: absolutely nothing)."
    2. DON'T: "Kingdom Hearts is a stupid series with a stupid plot and stupid Sora will never come to Smash!!1!1"
  4. Try to distance yourself from likelihood and anything going for or against the candidates. If you think your character isn't likely, this is your chance to dream. If you do think your character is likely, nothing turns other people away like shoving the character down their throats. Just pretend the character has already been announced, and Masahiro Sakurai has chosen you specifically to to do the presentation for him. Who is this, where are they from, what's their significance, and what do they bring?
  5. Only discuss a character during their day. When it's time to move on, it's time to move on. You got your time in the limelight, now let others have it too.
Anything amendments you think I should add?
We might need to be a bit more specific as to what counts as a "grey area" pick, but other than that it looks fine.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We might need to be a bit more specific as to what counts as a "grey area" pick, but other than that it looks fine.
Good point. Let's try this:
Grey area fighters are fourth-party characters that have a specific video game that is highly popular and/or influential in it's own right, to the point that it rivals or even surpasses their original medium. Examples include Geralt from the Witcher games, Batman from the Arkham games, and James Bond from Goldeneye; While they originated outside of games, these installments are highly influential in their respective genres, to the point that in Geralt's case, it supplants the original books as the definitive medium.
Keep in mind that you cannot suggest any fourth-party just because they have licensed game; So you can't just say "Goku for Smash because FighterZ/Xenoverse/Supersonic Warriors/etc.", their game counterpart has to distance itself through either a massive impact or a separate continuity. Software programs such as Hatsune Miku and Clippy I'll allow as well; While they aren't games, they're still digital.
If you want to nominate a grey area character but aren't sure if they count, suggest them to whoever runs the thread and we'll talk it out. Still, the majority probably won't go through.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I whipped up a thread for the Beheaded of Dead Cells fame. Kinda surprised we didn't have one already.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I just created a thread for Mamoru Endou from Inazuma Eleven a character I think could very well be in

toonito

Smash Ace
I created a thread for Karin from Street Fighter

Top Bottom