• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
(Gasps dramatically) This must mean we're getting a fighter in the day one patch!
It really means we're only getting one DLC fighter after Piranha Plant, not 5. Sorry to anyone who bought the Fighter's Pass :4pacman:

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Return of the box theory advertisement edition

It's clear to see that Nintendo saved a spot to finally give the Random button the respect it deserves in the promotional material. Unfortunately, its 3D model was too complex to finish on time, so it left an ugly hole ripe for speculation. Anyone who says otherwise is just plain crazy!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok joking aside about the ad

It suggests 11 post launch characters and there’s be a a few rumors about a second wave of dlc

2 packs of 5 and probably 1 free echo

Or thenoestimistic route with just the one pack and 6 echos

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Smash’s advertising team sucks. They couldn’t get the number 70 to make a rectangle?
Some people suspect that we will get a character reveal tomorrow today and then they would be added into that missing square.

EDIT: week is moving too slow I forgot today was finally Thursday.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't think it's worth makin a thread for these two characters so I'm just gonna post this here. It's unlikely that well get these two in Smash because we already have two Street fighter characters who play similarly but I personally kinda want to see Akuma and Sakura make a playable appearance someday. Sure Akuma makes some sense since he's one of the series main antagonists but sakura's just a supporting character who didn't even debut in SF2 so I doubt she'll ever get in.

Oh news

In Pac-mans taunt

Heihachi is in Pac-mans taunt

Points for Lloyd ladies and gentlemen
I'm not even a Tekken fan and this hurts.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm not sure how much of a deconfirmation it really is. 75m and the Duck Hunt stage show that Smash is fine with 8-bit versions of characters coexisting alongside their 3D counterparts. (Yes, I know the DK you play as isn't the same DK from the arcade game, but Smash likes to act like he is sometimes.)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
P5 is one of my favorite games of all time so personally it's all downhill from here for me.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
All we know is that no other SEGA character is happening. Unless they go full third party, and they don't add any new first party companies, AND Capcom AND Konami both don't get another character (fighting Squeenix character is pointless), we can kiss this list goodbye:
  • Tails
  • Dr. Eggman
  • NiGHTS
  • Billy Hatcher
  • Sonic rep (other)
  • Bayonetta rep
  • ... (sigh) Arle Nadja
  • Anybody I didn't list owned by SEGA/Atlus
Time to hope for Banjo, who's the only reasonable choice I have left. Crash is a a little bit of a stretch, I'm sure spirits deconfirm, and Joker happened.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I need to play Persona. Heard great things about 3-5.
Anyway, in light of Joker, Banjo actually seems like a possibility now.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So Mortal Kombat is being ported to Switch.

Given the series' history with guest characters, I kind of want Ridley in for them sweet, sweet fatalities.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Currently expecting all anime boys for DLC, so:

Joker
Lloyd
Sora
Phoenix Wright/Dante
Uhhhh is Professor Layton an anime boy?

Edit: I guess Ryu Hayabusa and Travis also qualify

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So Mortal Kombat is being ported to Switch.

Given the series' history with guest characters, I kind of want Ridley in for them sweet, sweet fatalities.
Ridley may have the brutality but tis a shame he comes from a T Rated franchise. All the guests have been from M rated franchises. If only Metroid wasn't owned by Nintendo would it had been Rated M. :p

grizby2

Smash Lord
from what reggie said, it seems we'll most likely get characters we "don't expect", so maybe we'll be getting more pipe-dream characters?

Killer Instinct?
Soul caliber?
Mortal kombat?
God of War?
Resident Evil?

its like an all-you-can-choose buffet up in here!

I know some people actually wanted joker, so that's good. heres hoping the last 4 can grant some more wishes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Don't expect" could mean anything. It could mean that people who want "core" Smash fanbase characters like Geno or Bandana Dee won't expect them, it could mean that fan rules are broken, or he could just be secretly telling the Steve/Sans crowd no.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Konami and Capcom each have three characters - two unique characters and one Echo Fighter.

:ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:
:ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken:

Sega has three unique characters.

:ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultjoker:

New fan rules that probably will be broken in Smash 6 or by future DLC fighters.

Third party franchises can have two playable fighters - one unique character and one Echo Fighter.

Third party companies can have three playable fighters - at least two unique characters (both are from different franchises); the third fighter is either an unique character (from a third franchise) or an Echo Fighter (from the first or second franchise).

Basileusconstans

Smash Rookie
Best case scenario
2B : ever since I saw nier automata was on the switch I've wanted 2b. Mechanical ninjas with giant swords are awesome and so are other things

Crash: he's on the switch, all that move variety. What's there not to love.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
So hang on, did Reggie say it would only be new franchises or not? I read that somewhere, but it's not true?

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I learned one thing. There is not a single rule. Speculation is useless at this point. Everyone can be here third or first party. Yes Reggie talked about "unexpected" but he is a guys who makes marketing. Of course he will not come and say "oh you know all the DLC are going to suck so you better not be hype".

Everything is unexpected cause there is no rules. Remember after Ridley and K Rool everyone expected popular newcomers like Isaac and we got Incineroar and Isabelle. So now after Joker its useless to say that the DLC are all going to be third party.

The "leakers" don't know anything about DLC.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Honestly I learned one thing. There is not a single rule. Speculation is useless at this point. Everyone can be here third or first party. Yes Reggie talked about "unexpected" but he is a guys who makes marketing. Of course he will not come and say "oh you know all the DLC are going to suck so you better not be hype".

Everything is unexpected cause there is no rules. Remember after Ridley and K Rool everyone expected popular newcomers like Isaac and we got Incineroar and Isabelle. So now after Joker its useless to say that the DLC are all going to be third party.

The "leakers" don't know anything about DLC.
Hey I just replied to you in the Elma thread about the same thing! lol I'll just copy my reply from there.

People keep saying this but Joker doesn't break any rules that Cloud didn't already break since SMT also has a long history on Nintendo consoles. And if we end up getting Persona 5 on Switch like some people are hoping it will end up making a ton of sense.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
What do we have here

What does this mean?
I'm pretty sure thats a misquote, Reggie actually says that "they will be new to THE series." Basically they won't have been in Smash before. Seeing as thats 100% obvious lol I'm guessing its just a marketing statement to drum up hype.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Screenshot_20181207-113141.png

This has probably been discussed, but it looks like we have a rough timeline for the upper limit of fighter release dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom