• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Can someone translate this leak my friend showed me?

"Peramelemorphia"
"Agamidae"
"Erinaceinae"
"Virtual Lacertilia"
"Demon Felis"
"Fire Karategi"
"Gấu"
"Extremitats"
"Suryaprabha"
"Stalflute"
"Star Nukke"
"Tiikeri Taistelija"
"Condemn Destruction"
"Fool Guy"
"Artis"

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

"Peramelemorphia"
"Agamidae"
"Erinaceinae"
"Virtual Lacertilia"
"Demon Felis"
"Fire Karategi"
"Gấu"
"Extremitats"
"Suryaprabha"
"Stalflute"
"Star Nukke"
"Tiikeri Taistelija"
"Condemn Destruction"
"Fool Guy"
"Artis"
Riddle leaks are almost always fake. They tend to be more often fake than regular leaks which are already almost always fake.

Fane

Smash Journeyman

"Peramelemorphia"
"Agamidae"
"Erinaceinae"
"Virtual Lacertilia"
"Demon Felis"
"Fire Karategi"
"Gấu"
"Extremitats"
"Suryaprabha"
"Stalflute"
"Star Nukke"
"Tiikeri Taistelija"
"Condemn Destruction"
"Fool Guy"
"Artis"
Yeah I got the translation here:

Fake

Dan

Smash Lord
Here's what I've got:

Incineroar
Isaac
Skull Kid
Karate Joe
Geno
Ken
Possibly Steve (sadly), just cause Vergeben and you know he got ballot votes, and Banjo cause that would mean they had to go to Microsoft
Shadow
Tom Nook as an Echo cause Dark Pit vibes

Signature classic NES rep could be Mach Rider cause Sakurai bought that gun as reference, or Foreman Spike cause Wrecking Crew was just trademarked, but that's probably a thing Nintendo just does to keep up with their properties; even though he is old and obscure, I don't think Geno fits into that camp with Ice Climbers/G&W, ROB and DHD.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Just gonna throw on here my character wishes, echoes, and more realistic choices

Dream
---------
#1. Lloyd (Check out the Lloyd thread it's wonderful)
#2. Sora
#3. Travis Touchdown

Actual predictions
-----------------------
#1. Lloyd (Cmon sakurai pls)
#2. Geno
#3. Issac

Echoes
--------------------------------
#1. Shadow
#2. Zack
#3. Hilda

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Tom Nook as an Echo cause Dark Pit vibes
Tom Nook has been deconfirmed since E3. He's still apart of Villager's final smash, and we know that removing a character from a final smash or strangely not showing the final smash can be an indicator of a newcomer, as that happened with Chrom/Robin.

---

Even with the 'two remaining newcomer' theory going around, I'm still predicting there's more and the boxart thing is just placeholder as of now.(After all the product image is obviously not final either way) I also find it false because of Vergeben and his credibility. He suggests Ken, a new Pokemon, and a SqEnix rep... which... isn't two characters.

I have changed my predictions JUST a bit.

Newcomers:
-New Pokemon
-Geno
-Isaac
-Skull Kid
-Bandana Dee

Echoes:
-Ken
-Dixie Kong
-Impa
-Shadow

Removed a Rhythm Heaven rep and Isabelle as an echo(obvious reason is obvious), I removed the Rhyhtm Heaven rep because Isabelle was revealed to be unique rather than an Echo, and I predicted 6 more unique character slots.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Eh, I’m leaning into a more pessimistic viewing of what we have left at this point. Not necessarily because of the box, but more so because of my overall expectations from Sakurai’s own comments at this point and the fact we don’t have a ton of time left.

Unique Newcomers:
Pokémon (Incineroar if Verge is to be believed and we don’t get other options)

Geno (He doesn’t need a new stage which is becoming more relevant to the newcomers I believe, fits into the pattern of Mii Costume upgrades, and just has a lot going for him)

Maybe Bandanna Dee or Skull Kid if we get a Pokémon revealed earlier. Neither of them would neeed a new stage either

Echo Fighters:
Shadow
Ken
Maybe Dixie Kong, though she could get the Isabelle treatment as unique.
Maybe Impa.

I lean towards 2 unique and 3 Echo fighters being what we have left, and I’m willing to give the opportunity to one more of each to give us 8 unique and 8 echo fighters as the true new additions to this game.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Right... so... Wearing my allegiances on my sleeves here, what with my avatar and signature, but if I may -and I certainly may- I'd like to go ahead and make a case as to why KOS-MOS ought be given more consideration in Smash discussion.

I'm not terribly sure where to start, so I'll just go with the busywork preamble

KOS-MOS is a character who first appears in Monolith Soft's first work as a studio, "Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht" which was published by Namco. Since this time, she has been established as a mascot of sorts for both companies, making cameo and crossover appearances many times across several platforms.

As for Nintendo platforms -which are most relevant to this particular argument- KOS-MOS has appeared in

-"Xenosaga Episodes I&II" for Nintendo DS (2006)
-"Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier" for Nintendo DS (2008)
-"Project X Zone" for Nintendo 3DS (2012)
-"Project X Zone 2" for Nintendo 3DS (2015)
-"Xenoblade Chronicles 2" for Nintendo Switch (2017)

It is perhaps also noteworthy that both Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles and Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X take inspiration from Xenosaga's gynoid savior.

To get into more circumstantial points. Bandai-Namco trademarked "Also Sprach Zerathusdra" in the US 2 months prior to the official announcement for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at E3. This suggests Bandai-Namco has plans for Xenosaga Episode III moving forward, and implies intent on their part to utilize that trademark in some fashion, such as with a remake, or perhaps a digital port to the Switch.

Regardless, it illustrates Bandai-Namco believes Xenosaga is and/or will soon be quite marketable. To lend further credence to that sentiment, a scale figure for KOS-MOS Re: was announced on July 28th of this year.
For reference, the only Xenoblade Chronicles 2 figure to be commisioned prior to KOS-MOS Re: was a coordinated pair for Pyra & Mythra, meaning Xenosaga's gynoid heroine was chosen over fan favorites like Nia and Morag, despite being a cameo. Also, as a bit of food for thought: It is not unlikely the KOS-MOS scale figure will be completed and made available right around Smash Ultimate's release date, given production periods.

As for the design itself, it is likely the overall goal for the design was to bring KOS-MOS into the modern day, and to do so in as near to an official capacity as could be achieved without another installment in the Xenosaga series. To accomplish this, Kunihiko Tanaka (KOS-MOS's original designer) was called in. He later provided an article on the process for inclusion in "Production Notes." Two pieces of note being the core idea to display KOS-MOS as "The Symbol of Xenosaga" as well as the Re: in KOS-MOS Re: standing for "refrain", or the idea of being "born again"

[Disclaimer: This Part is my own speculation]

While those sentiments aren't too substantial by themselves, I personally find it worth noting that completely re-designing KOS-MOS solely to include her in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was entirely unnecessary. Neither V1 nor V4 would have appeared out of place within XC2's aesthetics, while any alterations to her design would need be cleared by Namco at every turn. Which is to say, quite an extreme effort for a cameo. This, in addition to the scale figure mentioned prior, alludes toward KOS-MOS Re: being put forth as a definitive design moving forward, so we should expect to see more of it in the future.

(Also, specifically in regards to Smash Brothers, it is not unlikely that KOS-MOS has been suggested by both Namco and Monolith before, but that V4 was turned down for being too risque for Sakurai's tastes. This re-imagining of her is far more in line with Nintendo's philosophies.)

- - - - - - - - - -

As for competition, there are some notable marks against her most staunch rivals.

Heihachi: To quote Katsuhiro Harada, “We’re not really sure at this moment but when thinking of the playerbase who is playing Smash Bros, maybe Tekken characters is something they wouldn’t want, so I’ve been pulling back on that a bit. But I don’t know.”

Now, his opinion on the matter may have changed over installments, but given Smash Ultimate brought in professional Street Fighter and Tekken players for their event matches at EVO this year, if Heihachi were in the base roster, that would have been the best possible time to announce him, using the gathering of fighting game pros to showcase Heihachi vs Ryu. His failure to appear at that venue significantly reduce his odds of inclusion in my mind.

Lloyd Irving: While Sakurai has stated before that Lloyd would be the Tales representative he'd be most likely to consider for the roster, and has also given him a Mii costume, he has also expressed dismay at the number of swordfighters in Smash. While admittedly minor, that alone may have him relegated to an Alucard-esque assist trophy.

- - - - - - - - - -

That about covers it for now. Perhaps this could all be leading up to something unrelated to Smash; I can't make up your mind for you, and you're free to interpret the above as you will. Still, it seems to me as though Namco's Darling/Monolith's Princess is being brushed aside perhaps too readily.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Hm... I don't think Geno would come without a stage, because otherwise there's no music for him. Like he wouldn't get music for his reveal, that's ridiculous. Paper Mario already has a stage, and I think has become massively overshadowed for little reason. I also doubt an Alolan Pokémon wouldn't get a stage, because even Unova has a stage without a fighter (the only previous generation to miss a stage was Gen 3, and that one. And Isabelle being unique certainly casts doubt on the chances of 104+. A lot of doubt. To the point anybody who still hopes for more stages pre-DLC is, honestly, close to being in denial.

I don't just think that we're mostly getting pre-repped series characters, but it has to be a character who could feasibly come without a stage. Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, every Echo, Paper Mario. Isaac, Alola, Geno and friends would probably have their stages saved for DLC if they come in homeless, and homeless characters have happened before but we want to be as safe and right as possible so let's pretend every character will have somewhere to go.

I however think that music is a much bigger problem. Every new series has to have music, or else nothing can play in their reveal trailer. Then there's Geno, who also needs music for his reveal or character trailer. Even Skull Kid has no good music (none of the songs in the game fit him) right now. I don't buy the "main" music theory (every newcomer has to have no song on the site to then be that song on the site, at least uniques) because that implies R.O.B will get Professor Hector, but I do think music plays a role. Or maybe I'm missing something? I might sound in denial of Geno or Alolamon, though I want the first one (the other I really don't care for).

StormC

Smash Hero
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...hiro-sakurai-35-years-gaming-history-nintendo

I had always presumed there would be a team of researchers mining Nintendo history for possible items and assist-trophy cameos but in fact Sakurai comes up with a lot of them himself, working from a huge list of ideas that gets narrowed down to cameos and items that aren’t too samey. “In gaming in general, a lot of characters fight with swords,” he says gloomily.
Funnily enough, this came up in a conversation I had earlier today.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Hm... I don't think Geno would come without a stage, because otherwise there's no music for him. Like he wouldn't get music for his reveal, that's ridiculous. Paper Mario already has a stage, and I think has become massively overshadowed for little reason. I also doubt an Alolan Pokémon wouldn't get a stage, because even Unova has a stage without a fighter (the only previous generation to miss a stage was Gen 3, and that one. And Isabelle being unique certainly casts doubt on the chances of 104+. A lot of doubt. To the point anybody who still hopes for more stages pre-DLC is, honestly, close to being in denial.

I don't just think that we're mostly getting pre-repped series characters, but it has to be a character who could feasibly come without a stage. Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, every Echo, Paper Mario. Isaac, Alola, Geno and friends would probably have their stages saved for DLC if they come in homeless, and homeless characters have happened before but we want to be as safe and right as possible so let's pretend every character will have somewhere to go.

I however think that music is a much bigger problem. Every new series has to have music, or else nothing can play in their reveal trailer. Then there's Geno, who also needs music for his reveal or character trailer. Even Skull Kid has no good music (none of the songs in the game fit him) right now. I don't buy the "main" music theory (every newcomer has to have no song on the site to then be that song on the site, at least uniques) because that implies R.O.B will get Professor Hector, but I do think music plays a role. Or maybe I'm missing something? I might sound in denial of Geno or Alolamon, though I want the first one (the other I really don't care for).
It sounds like you're scratching off nearly every likely possibility here. Skull Kid doesn't need a stage since there's already an MM stage present, with the Moon that he controls being a background element of it. Beware the Forest Mushrooms could feasibly be added to the Mario lineup of songs. There's not a rule that says because it's a game-specific song that it couldn't work on Mushroom Kingdom/Delfino Plaza/Paper Mario/etc. Bandana Dee as well doesn't need a stage because nothing specifically ties to him as a character. His first appearance was in Super Star, and that's been represented with a stage more than once.

You may think that's flimsy and cutting corners, but Sakurai has mentioned that stage development is a long process, so if a new stage doesn't immediately stick out as necessary, he's probably going to use that dev time elsewhere. Lucas went without a Mother 3 stage in Smash 4's DLC even if they could've easily brought back NPC to suit 8 player.

I also don't see why Isabelle not being an echo affects the chance of more stages. Literally all the info we've gotten between the August direct and now is that Isabelle is playable. Tortimer Island also originated in New Leaf, so why does she need a new stage for herself? Something more closely tied to her as a character would probably be too similar to Smashville and T&C in aesthetic, so again, it's not really necessary since they didn't even include Gangplank Galleon very likely because it was extremely similar to Pirate Ship.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Yeah, you seem to be ascribing too much meaning to stages with characters. King K. Rool didn't come with a Gangplank Galleon stage, and that would have been the ideal pick for a new stage. Ridley hasn't gotten one either despite the fact that with Pyrosphere cut we haven't gotten a new Metroid stage in the game since Brawl.

Bandanna Dee certainly doesn't need a stage as he's not exactly paired with any stage in Kirby cannon (And we've got a LOT of Kirby stages already). We have a Majora's Mask stage, so Skull Kid could easily go in to the game with that in mind. Paper Mario already has a stage (Which I do think hurts his overall chances for the game having seen that stage). Pokemon has a ton of stage representation already, there isn't necessarily a need for a stage corresponding to Aolan Pokemon either. If King K. Rool didn't get his stage and shares a home stage, I can definitely see Geno just ending up with Mario Galaxy or something as his home stage as a star warrior after all. It's not like Square Enix cares enough about the character to demand anything of Geno's inclusion anyway. The music can be added easily to whatever stages end up as the *home* stages to those characters.

The 103 theory only really hurts characters from new franchises. I'm a little more pessimistically accepting of the idea we've seen them all (I think it would be a lame way to have done things, but oh well), but there's always a chance something has been held back for this reason or that. I think Sakurai approached stages in this game very differently bringing as many as he could back with updated visuals to make the Ultimate Smash in more ways than one, and de-prioritized new stages all around. Thus we see so few new ones and see the reality in which newcomers to existing series do not need new stages.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Geno is a unique case because there's a strong possibility that he'll be filed under the Mario series, in which case that's where all his music would go.

I don't personally subscribe one way or the other to the 103 stage theory, I could see it going both ways. I think it's very possible that's it, but also doubt that there are only 4 genuinely new stages and that the only new Nintendo IP is Splatoon when last game we got Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Punch-Out, Miis, Xenoblade, and Duck Hunt.

As for the box theory, I'm in awe. There are so many things wrong with that theory that I'm stunned how many people are out there genuinely believing it - I thought we were better than this in 2018. I honestly don't even know where to begin.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I don't personally subscribe one way or the other to the 103 stage theory, I could see it going both ways. I think it's very possible that's it, but also doubt that there are only 4 genuinely new stages and that the only new Nintendo IP is Splatoon
I totally agree. I feel like at this point we should take every single thing we hear as 100% fact. Especially since it’s sakurai we’re talking about. I can easily see them showcasing a couple of new stages and saying “Now the number is even higher, 105 stages. Talk about ultimate, we must be crazy.” I’m not going to put off any options until it’s the day of Launch.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Made a line-up of characters consisting of third-party characters from worldwide popular franchises out of pure boredom. Ignoring the unrealistic size of the 3rd party roster, how would guys react if this was the final third-party line-up, assuming that all 18 of these get gradually added from base game to DLC?

Dan

Smash Lord
Made a line-up of characters consisting of third-party characters from worldwide popular franchises out of pure boredom. Ignoring the unrealistic size of the 3rd party roster, how would guys react if this was the final third-party line-up, assuming that all 18 of these get gradually added from base game to DLC?

Um, wouldn't everyone be happy lol?

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
There were many asking for him, I remeber the pre-4 days! Many posts have probably made it into Miiverse cringe by now, but there was a clear audience for Minecraft all throughout the Wii U’s and Smash’s life time, ohh boy.

I know everyone will say ballot, but I’ll be honest, the ballot doesn’t seem to really affect that much. Only one character seems to have gotten in due to the ballot and that’s K Rool, otherwise the others, and even the speculated characters are running off factors outside of ballot. Mainly, many characters are being taken from Brawl polls and Wii U support that came in before the title released.

Ridley just had overall popularity throughout Smash history.

Dark Samus was popular going into Wii U

Chrom was another popular pick going into Wii U

Simon was confirmed to be picked due to people wanting him over Snake in Brawl, otherwise he had pretty average ballot results. He is also from a franchise loved by Sakurai and his team, so he was sort of a personal pick.

Daisy was pretty popular going into any Smash, hell there were jokes about her once Rosalina got picked over her for 4. Daisy has never really had a good indicator for popularity, and the ballot only seemed to put her in an okay position, so she’s sort of up in the air.

Isabelle was choosen due to her popularity in the Animal Crossing community and not much else. She was never really seen as a needed fighter until the echo idea, so I can’t say she was a popular pick for the Smash community.

Inklings would have gotten in regardless of popularity, they just happened to be.

Even other speculated characters aren’t really ballot picks, as they are generally picked for other reasons, such as Skull Kid. Skull Kid was picked because of his presence before Brawl and early Early Wii U, along with being a popular Zelda character. Geno is another one that is probably going to get picked to end the Brawl top 3, as Sonic and Mega Man made it in the last two entries, so now Geno gets his chance. And Bandana Waddle Dee, probably would be in the same position as the Inkling, he’s the 4th member of the Kirby games, and at this point he is a mainstay.

Minecraft still has a very good shot you just have to look outside the ballot, which it seems like Sakurai is doing, and honestly I don’t blame him as the ballot was a dumpster fire of Indies and other random 3rd parties trying to influence results, meme characters, an people putting restrictions on characters as they thought the new character would be in 4, so they didn’t even bother with clearly popular choices like Skull Kid, Ridley, etc. outside the ballot and going into Wii U MC had popularity, it’s one of the highest selling games on Nintendo’s platforms for a reason, so I wouldn’t call it out of the running because Banjo was apparently bigger on the Ballot, as Steve has many other means of getting around that.
Banjo has more going for him than his just his ballot popularity...

He was considered for Melee, not to mention he too had Brawl popularity so much so that Sakurai had commented on his blog about the difficulty (at the time) to get Rare licensed characters in Smash. It's not like Banjo suddenly became popular. Much like Simon, Ridley, K. Rool, Megaman and Geno. Banjo has been asked for, for years. Couple that with his past consideration for previous titles and his ballot popularity, Banjo is a no brainer character that again if Sakurai had any sort of discussions with Microsoft he would be a top priority.

The only reason people are even talking about Minecraft in Smash so much is because of Vergeben.. if he didn't mention it youd barely see anyone talking about it. In all my years of following Smash speculation I have never seen Steve from Minecraft asked for near the same level as Banjo. Steve may be more recognized to young gamers today but majority of the Smash community (the people ultimate is catering too) have wanted Banjo for years. I HIGHLY doubt Sakurai would ignore that. Only through MS meddling would Steve get in this game over Banjo and MS heard the fans loud and clear..

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I think that Third Parties, by nature, can afford to wait for Smash 6 a lot easier than some first parties (Isaac and Lip come to mind, but third parties in general either have the demand or the tenacity to last).

According to a CoroCoro leak, we're due for 5 more stages. Let's say that it's not only real, but also the truth. Suddenly, Isaac is a whole lot more likely. Skull Kid and Bandana Dee might be worried a little bit. Everything I said about Geno and Alolamon is wrong, and Paper Mario suddenly becomes way less likely.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I think this stage leak is far more credible than that dumb box theory and frankly debunks it. 103 was never going to be the final number, and 108 doesn't even include DLC.

As for potential characters who'd come with new stages, the ones who stand out most to me are Geno, Issac, and Shantae. I could be completely wrong, but given their games, there is plenty of material to pull stages from.

A Pokemon would have one of the Pokemon stages (unless one of the stages was Pokefloats 2), Bandana Dee would take one of the Kirby stages. Geno could take one of the existing Mario stages, but I have a feeling Forest Maze (or another SMRPG location) is more likely for him. Issac would have some location from Golden Sun (I'm not familiar enough with the game to know the details). Shantae would most likely have Scuttle Town.

I could maybe see a Rhythm Heaven stage, Spiral Mountain for Banjo, or a stage for a character none of us expect. As we saw with K Rool and Isabelle, not every newcomer will get a new stage.

This stage leak gives me more confidence to say that the box theory is bunk and that we are getting more than two new characters.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
This dramatically increases Lloyd’s chances of getting into smash and I’m soooo hyped right now. Leettttssss goooooooo

Dan

Smash Lord
I guess it's redundant since we have Toon Link's ship, but the fact Ganplank Galleon wasn't a stage is fail.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I guess it's redundant since we have Toon Link's ship, but the fact Ganplank Galleon wasn't a stage is fail.
All that matters is we got King K. Rool. So I'll take it. ;)

The stage would had just been icing on cake though I wish we still would had gotten it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’d be more ok with Pirate Ship acting as that stage if I could play the actual Gangplanks Galleon song on the stage. Not being able to play it on the actual pirate ship... just feels wrong.

Also, thanks to CoroCoro there is a ray of sunshine for characters and potentially ridding ourselves of the 103 stage issue. Though it could get redacted sometime soon, that seems a lot less likely with a magazine than a web page to me... we’ll see, but I’ve got a shred of optimism back.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

No Banjo? No Crash? No Spyro?

I'd honestly feel very meh about these guys. Frogger being the only new cartoon animal mascot feels weird whilst we have Crash and Banjo who are both super popular the world over. Spyro's more personal preference, but I feel like Toys to Life was a massive thing last generation and that kicked off with Spyro for better or worse.

Also, regardless of personal feelings it's hard to deny that Steve from Minecraft is a real possibility.

Is Leon the most popular Resident Evil character? Genuinely have no clue. I know Chris has been there since the beginning and Jill has been used more for crossovers but I can't deny Leon has popularity thanks to the success of RE4.

No Lara Croft or Master Chief if we're going for big gaming icons is also disappointing. So honestly I'd be pretty disastisfied with the 3rd party choices.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

...Who the heck picks Frogger out of a sea of third parties instead of Rayman, Crash or Banjo Kazooie?

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Banjo has more going for him than his just his ballot popularity...

He was considered for Melee, not to mention he too had Brawl popularity so much so that Sakurai had commented on his blog about the difficulty (at the time) to get Rare licensed characters in Smash. It's not like Banjo suddenly became popular. Much like Simon, Ridley, K. Rool, Megaman and Geno. Banjo has been asked for, for years. Couple that with his past consideration for previous titles and his ballot popularity, Banjo is a no brainer character that again if Sakurai had any sort of discussions with Microsoft he would be a top priority.

The only reason people are even talking about Minecraft in Smash so much is because of Vergeben.. if he didn't mention it youd barely see anyone talking about it. In all my years of following Smash speculation I have never seen Steve from Minecraft asked for near the same level as Banjo. Steve may be more recognized to young gamers today but majority of the Smash community (the people ultimate is catering too) have wanted Banjo for years. I HIGHLY doubt Sakurai would ignore that. Only through MS meddling would Steve get in this game over Banjo and MS heard the fans loud and clear..
Another reason is that Nintendo is close to Microsoft right now thanks specifically to Minecraft and they seem to be promoting it frequently. Plus there’s tons of articles about MC and Nintendo with Source Gaming translating an article about how Sakurai actually like to play Minecraft, an one article detailing Miyamoto’s jealously of the franchise’s success. Minecraft would be a huge get for Smash and would probably introduce many new comers to the franchise.

Plus why is going off leaks a bad thing, we are literally doing that with like all characters. Skull Kid wasn’t particularly popular in the ballot and only really blew up thanks to speculation and leaks. Verge has been correct on everything so far, why shouldn’t we trust him at point.

Also, you brought this up, but Microsoft owns the characters, so they’ll probably make Sakurai put in a test character like Square probably did. Banjo isn’t used by Microsoft, like Geno wasn’t by Square, so they’ll want a character that benefits them to come first. Steve is a perfect middleman, owned and used by Microsoft so they’ll get the publicity for their huge franchise, and Nintendo also sells Minecraft on the Eshop so it benefits them, while probably dragging in a new crowd for larger sales numbers on Smash, as the fans they are playing to already have a ton of characters to keep them happy and will buy Smash regardless. Steve would probably be the bridge character, so Banjo and Master Chief DLC can happen in the future, like Cloud most likely was for Geno to come later in the base roster of this game.

IDK, Steve seems way more interesting to me than any other Microsoft character. He’d be the first World-Builder character, a heavily under appreciated genre that is growing and Nintendo seemed to take a crack at with Mario Maker, and would have to have moves based on building making him super unique.

I can see Banjo in the game though. While I think DLC is the most likely option, I still think Microsoft would give the okay for two more of their big characters as long as Sakurai supports a character they use, as then they’d get the publicity for games they are trying to sell and even more money from inclusions.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Vergeben strikes again

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77008096

He officially confirmed incineroar source (doubled down)

And he’s going to investigate the box theory and check if the Square Enix part is DLC character or base
Looking into it a little more I'm not convinced Incinaroar will happen. That seems to be something the community came up with. If you look at it, Rowlet is the most popular Alolan Pokemon in Japan (source: Nintendo Dream), he's featured in the anime and Decidueye was chosen for Pokken, which is also made by Bandai Namco. The last point is important as they obviously chose him over other Pokemon for a reason. If he's unpopular like people claim, why is he in Pokken (esspecially around when people thought he was going to be in Smash). I always feel like Incinaroar was brought up by some people that really liked him and made up reasons why he'd be choosen. In terms of popularity and the anime, Rowlet seems to beat him.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Another reason is that Nintendo is close to Microsoft right now thanks specifically to Minecraft and they seem to be promoting it frequently. Plus there’s tons of articles about MC and Nintendo with Source Gaming translating an article about how Sakurai actually like to play Minecraft, an one article detailing Miyamoto’s jealously of the franchise’s success. Minecraft would be a huge get for Smash and would probably introduce many new comers to the franchise.

Plus why is going off leaks a bad thing, we are literally doing that with like all characters. Skull Kid wasn’t particularly popular in the ballot and only really blew up thanks to speculation and leaks. Verge has been correct on everything so far, why shouldn’t we trust him at point.

Also, you brought this up, but Microsoft owns the characters, so they’ll probably make Sakurai put in a test character like Square probably did. Banjo isn’t used by Microsoft, like Geno wasn’t by Square, so they’ll want a character that benefits them to come first. Steve is a perfect middleman, owned and used by Microsoft so they’ll get the publicity for their huge franchise, and Nintendo also sells Minecraft on the Eshop so it benefits them, while probably dragging in a new crowd for larger sales numbers on Smash, as the fans they are playing to already have a ton of characters to keep them happy and will buy Smash regardless. Steve would probably be the bridge character, so Banjo and Master Chief DLC can happen in the future, like Cloud most likely was for Geno to come later in the base roster of this game.

IDK, Steve seems way more interesting to me than any other Microsoft character. He’d be the first World-Builder character, a heavily under appreciated genre that is growing and Nintendo seemed to take a crack at with Mario Maker, and would have to have moves based on building making him super unique.

I can see Banjo in the game though. While I think DLC is the most likely option, I still think Microsoft would give the okay for two more of their big characters as long as Sakurai supports a character they use, as then they’d get the publicity for games they are trying to sell and even more money from inclusions.
I didn't say going off leaks are bad nor did I say we shouldn't, I was using it as an example because it shows how much Minecraft is a none factor to the Smash community. I don't doubt it's a big deal for Smash to have it represented but overall the fan base hasn't asked for it nor care about it that much and only comes up so much now because the Vergeben leak.

Square didn't make Sakurai put Cloud in the game he specifically asked for Cloud. That's the character he wanted when he went to Square. He wanted to represent Final Fantasy in Smash and picked the character he felt best would rep the franchise.. Final Fantasy is a game that a lot of people wanted to see show up in Smash but Cloud seemed like a pipe dream more so than Geno. His lack of Nintendo representation often had him showing up on Dream roster lists because of his close association with Sony. Sakurai went above and beyond to get him in Smash. Why would he pick Cloud over Geno? Because Cloud is the more popular character that a lot of people wanted but never thought they'd see, but Sakurai always one step ahead knew Geno fans would be disappointed and put the Mii costume in there to throw his fans a bone. That's in the scenario that Ultimate wasn't already being discussed and he nabbed Geno for the upcoming game.

Smash for Wii U and 3DS was in a situation where it was on a dying console (in Wii Us case) and what better way to try and get the game high sales then to put 3rd parties in that were highly recognized Ryu, Cloud, and Beyonneta on the fact she was getting a new game exclusive to Nintendo. Not too mention the characters that were DLC were easy to develop, Cloud used Ikes model as a base, where Geno would be too unique like other characters who were omitted from Smash 4 DLC, like K. Rool...

Ultimate isn't under those circumstances. It's a game aimed at the dedicated Smash fan base. Huge wants like Ridley and K. Rool getting in.. faster speed to the game, the techs found so far favor the competitive community, all vets returning covers every past characters fan base getting their wish. I don't see Geno not getting in this game, or isaac, and I absolutely don't see Banjo not getting in considering they are the top 3 most hyped character's left in comparison to the characters we have left people are waiting on.

I get it you want Steve in the game... that's cool. Banjo has been asked for YEARS longer and much more. Minecraft is more than likely getting into Smash in some capacity since Vergeben has been pretty spot on. I personally don't see it being with a character... but maybe it will be. Banjo is the most wanted Microsoft want it's literally no contest, so if Steve gets in fans (aside from the Steve advocates) won't be happy.. Sakurai is aiming to please more than usual with this game in don't see him not getting Banjo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...Who the heck picks Frogger out of a sea of third parties instead of Rayman, Crash or Banjo Kazooie?
Frogger is my most wanted third party after Crash. I'd take him over Banjo or Rayman in a heartbeat.

AuraCuba

Smash Rookie
NNID
Klipso
Switch FC
1143-1102-9840
After the announcement of Katamari Damacy Reroll for Nintendo Switch, I feel like the Prince of all Cosmos might have a shot in Smash. Is it just me that thinks that/wants him in?

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I wonder when big outlets like GameXplain and Etika are finally gonna cover Vergeben.
That's because GameXplain only covers credible sources and info, and sorry, but I don't consider Vergeben to be credible because he made a few lucky guesses. The guy still is incredibly vague and refuses to take any responsibility.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom