• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yeah, but there's much better ways than a bird who, in their one appearance, looks to be as big as Ridley typically is.
Good point. There's also the fact that Wingo is the main antagonist of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, so it doesn't make sense for him to ally with his main enemy (but you could say the same with Duck Hunt)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I disagree.
Prime 4 will likely come out way after Smash Switch, and even if it will, the roster was (probably) already finalized.
Honestly it is likely that Sakurai does at least know a little of the plans for Prime 4, Sylux could make an early bird cameo.

Also just going to say that the game is totes not coming out this year. I am calling Q2 2019 as a final release window. I know they said 2018 in the direct but lets be real here both Brawl and 4 were delayed so its likely that we will get this one later too.

D

Deleted member

Also just going to say that the game is totes not coming out this year. I am calling Q2 2019 as a final release window. I know they said 2018 in the direct but lets be real here both Brawl and 4 were delayed so its likely that we will get this one later too.
I doubt that would change much for Sylux.
The roster was likely already finalized back in 2016. It's not gonna be enough for Sylux to be playable.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The roster was likely already finalized back in 2016. It's not gonna be enough for Sylux to be playable.
Do we know for sure the roster was finalized in 2016? I personally would have predicted it being finalized in early to mid 2017. Honestly I feel the biggest reason that it would have been finalized later is due to needing to get a broader sense of the Switch's direction going forward. Like I could see Nintendo being hesitant to make a final decision on newcomers until ~mid 2017 when they knew the Switch was a success and it was going to sell. Then again we don't really know, its all just theory rn. I just feel that it is likely Sakurai would be told of big things for Nintendo franchises coming out, although I do think that Ridley is more likely than Slyux.

Morbi

Scavenger
Outside of the fact that Nintendo's plans for Metroid were also drafted earlier than development, same as Smash, there is still the potential for DLC to cross-promote Sylux later down the line.

D

Deleted member

Outside ofthe fact that Nintendo's plans for Metroid were also drafted earlier than development, same as Smash, there is still the potential for DLC to cross-promote Sylux later down the line.
I feel like predicting DLC characters right now is reeaaally jumping the gun.
We don't even have gameplay footage for either Smash on Switch nor Prime 4.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel like predicting DLC characters right now is reeaaally jumping the gun.
We don't even have gameplay footage for either Smash on Switch nor Prime 4.
I definitely agree, I am just saying that one way or another, Sylux is definitely a potential candidate well above many others. And that will become increasingly apparently, especially if they skip Ridley. I mean, we still have yet to see what the Fire Emblem protagonist looks like either, and yet, that character is extremely likely.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Lets all just come together and rejoice that the inevitable roster of The King of all Cosmos, Dr Boom from WoW/Hearthstone, and Big Band form Skullgirls will come to be. Let me dream.

But for real I honestly do think that the roster is likely "finalized", which I view rn as a bunch of names that Sakurai wants to try to fit in but might cut due to time.

Morbi

Scavenger
Lets all just come together and rejoice that the inevitable roster of The King of all Cosmos, Dr Boom from WoW/Hearthstone, and Big Band form Skullgirls will come to be. Let me dream.

But for real I honestly do think that the roster is likely "finalized", which I view rn as a bunch of names that Sakurai wants to try to fit in but might cut due to time.
If they did add a Blizzard character, I would much prefer Tracer. She needs to terrorize another game. Make Bayonetta look under-powered so these kids know what they are complaining about.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I feel like relevance to a series might not matter as much as you guys think it would. Sakurai even said that he saw that Geno was very popular and even wanted him in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like relevance to a series might not matter as much as you guys think it would. Sakurai even said that he saw that Geno was very popular and even wanted him in Smash.
We shouldn't start using exceptions to set precedent.

When another character as irrelevant as Geno gets as much popularity as him, let's talk.

And yet, Geno ended up not getting in. I wonder why?
Legal issues seems much likelier than any other possibility. Especially relevance, considering he was just as irrelevant when Sakurai desired to include him.

D

Deleted member

Legal issues seems much likelier than any other possibility. Especially relevance, considering he was just as irrelevant when Sakurai desired to include him.
I thought the gif made it obvious that I was being sarcastic.
But yeah, pretty much this.

D

Deleted member

Well... what point are you proving then? That Geno isn't in Smash?
Well, yeah.
The fact he's not in kind of makes their point irrelevant. We don't know for sure why he's not in, but relevance likely plays a part in that.
Maybe I didn't phrase that well enough.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, yeah.
The fact he's not in kind of makes their point irrelevant. We don't know for sure why he's not in, but relevance likely plays a part in that.
Maybe I didn't phrase that well enough.
0_o

But the point that you just agreed with was me saying relevance or lack thereof likely wasn't a factor.

Geno was irrelevant when and long before Sakurai wanted to include him. All I'm saying is we can't apply that logic everywhere, because no other characters have really been in Geno's position.

D

Deleted member

0_o

But the point that you just agreed with was me saying relevance or lack thereof likely wasn't a factor.

Geno was irrelevant when and long before Sakurai wanted to include him. All I'm saying is we can't apply that logic everywhere, because no other characters have really been in Geno's position.
Oh, then I misread.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Now that i remember it , Bandai Namco UK talked to me a long time ago (before Smash 4 launched)
And they said they were thinking about putting Agumon on Smash.
I hope they do it now!

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Nah.

There are plenty of threads there not tied to newcomers. And the general thread is the busiest thread right now lol.
:061:
but thats only because people don't really know this exists. most threads there like 90% are directed at Smash Switch anyway

but thats only because people don't really know this exists. most threads there like 90% are directed at Smash Switch anyway
But they aren't newcomer related.

Stages, modes, and all of the other miscellaneous things. And better to have a section for that than have it clutter up the character section.

They did the same thing as it is now for Smash For.
:061:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
The are no first party big names left to add. It's been B tier since Brawl.
Someone already said Toad, but there's also Dixie. Plus majority of Melee's additions aren't exactly what you call Alisters.

This right here is where we disconnect. You seem to think Smash Bros, as a series, has a definition written in stone. This is not the case. You can avoid mentioning Goku with all of those other names, but the principle stays the same, they all challenged what Smash was thought to be at the time and forced people to change their definition, as Sakurai often does.

Before Brawl came out, Smash was a Nintendo all-star game, and now it's a celebration of videogame history. Not that Goku and other 4th party characters haven't been part of videogame history, but my point stands. The next Smash could be (if Sakurai wanted it to be, and all the legalese is sorted out) a celebration of pop culture, forcing everyone to change their perspective on what Smash is to them yet again.

Would you sit here and be salty, not accepting the new route Smash Bros chose to go this time around, or would you be mad for like, a week, and then open your mind to the new possibilities? Maybe you're right, maybe adding 4th parties would be the straw that broke the camel's back, but it's still my belief that once the character is revealed, and Sakurai does the rounds explaining his new philosophy (which seriously guys, he changes his opinion all the time, y'all need to stop bringing up old stuff), that everyone would settle down and learn to love it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so, I've been around this scene for too long.
Here's the thing, all the 3rd party characters still have a clear connection to Nintedo history, Snake had a game published by Nintendo, and even Cloud's series has had games published by Nuntendo, outside of Japan

And also her's the thing, Smash prodamintly loyal fans are Nintendo fans, meaning the ones who show up, and who they make money of off. Plus turning Smash into a full on video-game character, let alone a everyone goes fighting game, means a licensing nightmare, and a gareenteed no profit made, by anyone evloved, because every character not owned by Nintendo, would constantly be handing them notes, and telling them what they can and can't do.

Which means the game would never be released, cause you'd have to palcate every rights holder involved.

Honestly? 4th Party doesn't exist. It's just a silly term made up for 3rd Parties because they didn't come from a video game first.

Anyway, I wouldn't be all that bothered by Goku, but he's just another neat 3rd party.

Also, Smash stepped away from "Nintendo All-Stars" quite a long time ago. Sonic was indeed attempted to get into Melee, but there wasn't enough time, and I think Kojima asked about Snake as well before Melee released. The only reason was again, not enough time. Basically, the whole "All-Star" thing is at best only really for Smash 64. It wasn't important since then and the premise of the series does not indicate nor force the series to adhere to the old design. It evolved outright to include more stuff. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Eh, not really, Smash is still prodaintly a Nintendo fightet since the 3rd party characters are still listed as guests. Plus, as I said they all still have some significance to Nintendo.

Also for those of you who Goku is the only character left who can bring the hype level, that Cloud brought, as well as destorying some rules the fans have, as people here have said, we still have ones like Master Cheif, who would bring in Cloud level hype.

Though I question if Master Chief would bring in many new people to Smash, since well, most Xbox fans are mostly FPS fans, and I'm not sure they'd want to spend the cash for Smash and a new console.

Anyhow getting to what I actually wanted to post.

Here's what I think are the most likely newcomers to happen, from series not with playable characters in Smash.

First, what I believe is currently the last missing longest running Nintendo series, the Nintendo Wars series. Basically I see them potentially getting a rep this time, most likely Andy, since he seemef to be the main character of 3 of the games. Basically I see them adding a character from here if they want the currently last series that originated from the Famicom, to be added.

Now onto the modern series. I see Dillion and Mallo to most likely to get the jump to playable, since now that they have multiple games, they've proven they've got staying power and a fanbase that will show up for their games.

Now the 100% lock to me, if the Smash team can get the characters mechanics to work, and that's obviously a Rythm Heaven rep.

Basically my thinking is, if they can properly get the rythm idea down for them, it'll happen. But I'm not how they could do a rythm based moveset, when they potentially may have to take stage songs into account, to do the rythm idea, but maybe not, after all DK's final smash is rythm based and all that needed was a visual cue for the timing, so they'll probably do the same for a Rythm Heaven rep.

Also I'm not on an ARMS rep, since even though it sold well, Sakurai and co. could still sit on a ARMS rep, since they may not be sure ARMS has staying powet, after all Sakurai has sat on new IPs before, and wsited for the next Smash, as a way to see if the IP has staying power.

And finally, this is something I only see happening if fan demand was met outside of smashboards, and that's Isac getting the nod.

As for retro and series with characters in Smash already, I'll talk about that later.

But I have an interesying question for you, we all know about retro reps and how Pac-man takes from Namco arcade games. Have any of you thought of a character who would represent Nintendo era arcade games?

Ones that aren't Donkey Kong obviously.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Someone already said Toad, but there's also Dixie. Plus majority of Melee's additions aren't exactly what you call Alisters.

Here's the thing, all the 3rd party characters still have a clear connection to Nintedo history, Snake had a game published by Nintendo, and even Cloud's series has had games published by Nuntendo, outside of Japan

And also her's the thing, Smash prodamintly loyal fans are Nintendo fans, meaning the ones who show up, and who they make money of off. Plus turning Smash into a full on video-game character, let alone a everyone goes fighting game, means a licensing nightmare, and a gareenteed no profit made, by anyone evloved, because every character not owned by Nintendo, would constantly be handing them notes, and telling them what they can and can't do.

Which means the game would never be released, cause you'd have to palcate every rights holder involved.

Eh, not really, Smash is still prodaintly a Nintendo fightet since the 3rd party characters are still listed as guests. Plus, as I said they all still have some significance to Nintendo.

Also for those of you who Goku is the only character left who can bring the hype level, that Cloud brought, as well as destorying some rules the fans have, as people here have said, we still have ones like Master Cheif, who would bring in Cloud level hype.

Though I question if Master Chief would bring in many new people to Smash, since well, most Xbox fans are mostly FPS fans, and I'm not sure they'd want to spend the cash for Smash and a new console.

Anyhow getting to what I actually wanted to post.

Here's what I think are the most likely newcomers to happen, from series not with playable characters in Smash.

First, what I believe is currently the last missing longest running Nintendo series, the Nintendo Wars series. Basically I see them potentially getting a rep this time, most likely Andy, since he seemef to be the main character of 3 of the games. Basically I see them adding a character from here if they want the currently last series that originated from the Famicom, to be added.

Now onto the modern series. I see Dillion and Mallo to most likely to get the jump to playable, since now that they have multiple games, they've proven they've got staying power and a fanbase that will show up for their games.

Now the 100% lock to me, if the Smash team can get the characters mechanics to work, and that's obviously a Rythm Heaven rep.

Basically my thinking is, if they can properly get the rythm idea down for them, it'll happen. But I'm not how they could do a rythm based moveset, when they potentially may have to take stage songs into account, to do the rythm idea, but maybe not, after all DK's final smash is rythm based and all that needed was a visual cue for the timing, so they'll probably do the same for a Rythm Heaven rep.

Also I'm not on an ARMS rep, since even though it sold well, Sakurai and co. could still sit on a ARMS rep, since they may not be sure ARMS has staying powet, after all Sakurai has sat on new IPs before, and wsited for the next Smash, as a way to see if the IP has staying power.

And finally, this is something I only see happening if fan demand was met outside of smashboards, and that's Isac getting the nod.

As for retro and series with characters in Smash already, I'll talk about that later.

But I have an interesying question for you, we all know about retro reps and how Pac-man takes from Namco arcade games. Have any of you thought of a character who would represent Nintendo era arcade games?

Ones that aren't Donkey Kong obviously.
You sound very certain for that scenario. SE watched over Sakurai's shoulder for Cloud, and that ended fine. Nintendo fans can also be DBZ fans, I bet that most are. Licensing is a major hold-up, but I doubt it's as impossible as you're making it. Especially if discussed well beforehand.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Licensing is a major hold-up, but I doubt it's as impossible as you're making it. Especially if discussed well beforehand.
Though it's not a spot on comparison, that new movie Ready Player One has been getting the rights to literally hundreds of different franchises. If they can do that I'm sure Nintendo can get the rights to a handful or two of guys to put in their cash cow of a franchise.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Though it's not a spot on comparison, that new movie Ready Player One has been getting the rights to literally hundreds of different franchises. If they can do that I'm sure Nintendo can get the rights to a handful or two of guys to put in their cash cow of a franchise.
Yeah i wonder how they pulled that off. It's nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom