• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Since E3, I have had to take another hard look at my roster predictions for Smash Ultimate. With Ridley, my number one, out of the way, now I am a bit more relaxed going into further speculation and prediction. With the deconfirmation of many characters via Assist Trophies, my choices have certainly narrowed, as well as the fact that there will be fewer newcomers this time around. Here is my current prediction/wishlist for the roster of Ultimate:

Base Game

1st Party:
King K. Rool
Decidueye or Mimikyu
Ashley
Elma or Rex/Pyra
Springman/Ribbon Girl
Impa or Skullkid
Bandana Waddle Dee or Marx
Isaac
Dillon
Ray 01

Semi-Clones/Echoes
Dark Samus
Dixie Kong
Medusa
Isabelle
Chrom

3rd Party:
Simon Belmont
Geno

There are still a lot of hopefuls on this list, such as many AT upgrading to playable status. My last two that I truly care about are King K. Rool and Isaac. If they get in, then I will be satisfied with this game's roster (but let's be real, it is already the best roster ever soooooo not much to complain about.)

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Who does Medusa Echo?

Also that's still a lot of characters to predict.

Also I feel like people making it a Marx vs Bandana Dee need to stop, Bandana Dee's likelihood does not rely upon 'Kirby needing more newcomers'. His likelihood is based off completing what's has become a quartet of Kirby characters who appear in every game.

Marx makes sense as a choice of 'true villain' from the Kirby series and has demonstrated his notoriety with his early appearance in Star Allies. They're not competing for what they bring to the table unlike the Pokemon reps or Xenoblade Main Characters (though that last one relies on the idea that the two XC games don't deserve their own representation individually which is arguable).

I guess the same can be said of Impa/Skull Kid, all the way to Impa completing the quartet and Skull Kid being a new option as villain with high notoriety.

Sakurai doesn't make the game based on 'slots per series'. Literally the only sign he even acknowledges how many slots each series has is when he thought that the game might be getting over saturated with FE, which is an entirely different issue (too much of X as opposed to not enough off X).

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
My thing:

I've less realistically wanted Crash in Smash for some time, and ever since Ultimate's initial announcement and N. Sane Trilogy doing well in PS4 sales, it has actually been a common suggestion amongst people for being a newcomer in Smash Ult. So although the timelines don't work in his favour to be in the base game (Dec 2015 plan for Ult, Crash only got announced at next year's E3), I really hope he's popular enough to be a third party DLC choice newcomer after great sales for N. Sane around the world (hey if "Bayonetta was extremely popular in Europe"...). It'd be insane to finally show the mustache man that his worst nightmare has arrived, also taking on Sonic like he would have had Sonic X-treme been released. We were already close to the former when you could use both Crash and Bowser or Donkey Kong in Skylanders. Is there another currently bigger third party mascot character to choose from? C'mon Nintendo, you can make the best Playstation All-Stars game yet!

For a Nintendo-owned thing, it was a shame I couldn't get another character whose franchise I was into into Smash 4 (after finally getting Villager in), after hope from the Gemetsu leak and more official hints at there being plans for a Rhythm Paradise character. I hope they don't leave this franchise behind this time.

And yeah, another Sonic (Tails or Eggman), Animal Crossing (Isabelle) or NES thing (9-Volt, NES Remix, Bubbles from Clu Clu Land...) I wouldn't mind, not that I'd be crazy if Shadow got in as the second Sonic rep other Tails or Eggman...

If I were to make guesses based off of Vergeben and stuff...

Simon Belmont (Vergeben)
Banjo-Kazooie (Vergeben's claim of Minecraft representation, tweets that don't explicitly deny his inclusion)
Bandana Waddle Dee (his absence in Dedede's final smash and that Amiibo info)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhRjgCkXUAEjw18.jpg:large

Maybe also...

King K. Rool
Mach Rider
Ashley
Chorus Kids
Rayman
Geno
Sora if this means anything lol: https://twitter.com/TAHK0/status/1015372350739476487

Also...

Sega - Sonic, Bayonetta
Capcom - Megaman, Ryu
Square - Cloud
Konami - Snake
Namco Bandai - Pacman

If Microsoft, Ubisoft and Activision managed to get characters in that would be a total of eight third party companies coming together for the same game, even if their characters were DLC. Not to mention if they include others from existing companies like a 2nd Sonic rep, Geno, Sora, Simon, Agumon or Heihachi, as if to further stomp on Playstation All-Star's grave.

Mod Edit: Image turned into a link. Please edit it to remove all swear words or directly censor them, including the f-word.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have no idea why this format is spreading but I caved and did my own. Tried adding my own art to spice things up.
1531486407349.png
Also I feel there's no one that's going to be nobody that's going to contest/rebuke my least-wanted newcomer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Everyone else is posting theirs here so I will too.

image.jpeg

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Main: (from brawl I guess I didn’t really have one in 4)
King Dedede

Secondary:
Ness
Wolf
Mr Game and Watch

Most Wanted Newcomers: (Krystal would be here but she’s dead)
Banjo Kazooie
Spyro the Dragon
Saki
Paper Mario
Crash Bandicoot

Least Wanted:
Steve
4th party characters
Fe characters/Avatar Characters

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Since this is a thing:

Main:
Zelda
(Dedede close behind)

Secondary:
Puff
Cloud
I will be experimenting with a whole other tonne this time though, looking at pretty much every ranged trap character (R.O.B, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt mostly) and they might upset any number of characters in this list.

Most Wanted Newcomers:
Andy
Bomberman R.I.P
Spyro
Master Chief
Sora, Elma, Lyn R.I.P, Travis

That Other Category:
Which doesn't actually promote much discussion outside of
Hostility towards whatever ideas we've recently heard of from
Others, since we rarely actually know what the things we hate most are.

Conversely, it's mostly a method of acting opinionated
About things that are inherently subjective in nature meaning that
Rather than making any attempt to see why some people are
Enthusiastic about things that we aren't, we instead resort to
Subduing discussion by forcing the pressure onto others to prove their opinion's worth.

(well I just accidentally dicovered Ctrl+Enter submits...)

Last edited:

Ludens Lupus

Smash Rookie
I personally think that any additions will REALLY be in theme with the whole 'Celebration of Smash Bros/Gaming' that Ultimate is upholding. So I can see them really paying attention to what fans want. For example, I really don't believe Waluigi won't be in the game, to keep that argument short. And I could so see Dixie Kong being added as an echo, and King K Rool especially, seeing as he was so high voted in the Ballot. Shovel Knight is likely for the same reason. Shadow too, especially since he didnt appear in the trailer, and since Knuckles was shown as an assist. And what I'm personally begging for, is an echo, or at LEAST an alt, for Solid Snake. It'd make sense, seeing what they did in Project M (yes I'm aware it was a fan project but still, paying homage). It would be so easy to just add Big Boss, Venom Snake, Liquid Snake, or Solidus Snake. And what if it was all of them? As echos, it wouldnt be too hard. Even if it was JUST Big Boss, i think it'd be perfect. Aside from that, I'm as lost as everyone else. Although Amaterasu from Okami would be hella dope

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Fighters I want: K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Banjo-Kazooie, Ashley, Shovel Knight, Chun Li, Jill Valentine.

Fighters that probably join: Those who I'm pretty sure: At least one Kong slot, another third party and the WTF entry (Which I only can figure out something like Mach Rider with the bike for teh lulz) an another pair of echoes. I don't want to bid for anyone, after SmashU I give up with the predictions.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Who does Medusa Echo?

Also that's still a lot of characters to predict.

Also I feel like people making it a Marx vs Bandana Dee need to stop, Bandana Dee's likelihood does not rely upon 'Kirby needing more newcomers'. His likelihood is based off completing what's has become a quartet of Kirby characters who appear in every game.

Marx makes sense as a choice of 'true villain' from the Kirby series and has demonstrated his notoriety with his early appearance in Star Allies. They're not competing for what they bring to the table unlike the Pokemon reps or Xenoblade Main Characters (though that last one relies on the idea that the two XC games don't deserve their own representation individually which is arguable).

I guess the same can be said of Impa/Skull Kid, all the way to Impa completing the quartet and Skull Kid being a new option as villain with high notoriety.

Sakurai doesn't make the game based on 'slots per series'. Literally the only sign he even acknowledges how many slots each series has is when he thought that the game might be getting over saturated with FE, which is an entirely different issue (too much of X as opposed to not enough off X).
Yeah, I tried to narrow it further but I usually can't help myself. :bobomb:

The reason I said Bandana Dee or Mark and Impa or Skull Kid is not the fact that it HAS to be one or the other, but that I am totally ok with either of them being selected. They are the most obvious choices in my eyes. I am totally fine with either (or best case scenario both!)

Also, as much as I want Medusa as her own character, I would be happy with her as a semi clone if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
At this point I'm not too picky, and so long as more people are happy with characters that get in, I'm good with that. I feel like lots of people have wanted k.rool for quite a while, so even though I don't care about playing him, I think it'd be nice to have him in, for everyone.

For me really I just want fun characters that I like (usually they border on cute somehow :p)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ah, finally finished everything I needed for my obscure character thread!
Includes a full moveset with all animations, alternate costumes, and stages!

...Now the real question is whether I should post the character thread now and try to build a solid fanbase early while risking dying in the water early via other people's normal discussion or post it during the DLC craze and try to push my character then...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ah, finally finished everything I needed for my obscure character thread!
Includes a full moveset with all animations, alternate costumes, and stages!

...Now the real question is whether I should post the character thread now and try to build a solid fanbase early while risking dying in the water early via other people's normal discussion or post it during the DLC craze and try to push my character then...
You should do it before if you want it to have traction. I think they're already planning dlc beforehand. imo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Fair point. I'll begin work on the thread.
I do think it's a good point though also someone said they want to focus more on the base game before designing dlc, so I don't think there's a rush. Dunno when's the best time, honestly, but if people like a character, it can't hurt to have it out there getting attention.

Mention the character and thread here once you do, I'm sure people are curious.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Main:
Ryu

Secondary:
Shulk, Cloud, Roy, Ike & Pikachu.

Most Wanted Newcomers:
Simon Belmont, Elma, Rex & Pyra, Excitebiker, Ayumi Tachibana & Heihachi Mishima.

Least Wanted Newcomers:
N/A

Last edited:

josh bones

Smash Lord
Main:
:ultmetaknight:

Secondary:
:ultdarkpit:

Most Wanted Newcomers:
Bandanna Dee, Ashley, Shadow, K. Rool, Isaac.
Least Wanted Newcomers:
Geno

prowler12

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7518-9066-3502
my thoughts on the newcomers

not making it:
1. ARMS rep

2. Metriod character
3. xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters

possible but not likely
1.Gen 7 pokemon
2.crash bandicoot
3. new Mario character

possible
1. sonic character
2. Dixie kong
3. Banjo&Kazooie

likly
1.King K rool
2. Geno

3. new retro character

this is not talking about echoes

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
DLC Tier:
Rex+Pyra, Spring Man,

Would Be Cool Tier:
Bandana Dee, Decidueye, Mach Rider / Excitebiker, Heihachi, Lloyd, Simon
Chrom (ε), Funky Kong (ε)

Top Tier:
Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, Ashley, Isaac, Dixie Kong
Dark Samus (ε), Shadow (ε)

"Sakurai, I Will Never Ask for Anything Again" Tier:
King K. Rool

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
First off where's is the format for that smash ultimate main,secondary,wanted newcomers thing

And second not guessing the amount but I will go by tier of likely

S is best D is worst (might make a picture version later)

S tier
King k rool - probably going to get in the same way Ridley did (high fan demand) plus did get a mii costume so sakurai knows about k rool oh and the ballot real purpose was most likely for ultimate since we finally found the proof bayonetta not the real winner nearly all of us speculated it but the proof fell on are laps.

Geno - Watch this and square enix is more cooperative with Nintendo lately and a theory each company will get two reps is coming up

Ashley - her popularity level is almost close to the current smash characters confirmed so far and her amiibo is not spotted yet, plus she got a costume in smash 4 final dlc pack theorizing that the costumes are constellation prizes (especially king k rool) there's a few others that are in this theory but I won't go into detail

Bandana dee - the 2nd most requested character in japan according to source gaming and is pretty much the only missing corner of the Kirby characters square and a data dig by memoryman on yoshi wholly world and found daisy and waddle dee as if they have more than one amiibo and look what happen with daisy (I feel so happy for him by the way)

Simon belmont - vergeben and even without that there's a speculation since konami is really being pushed in this since snake (character) and bomberman (assist) are in this one (fun fact verge said at miminum 6 newcomers not shown yet unknown if echos are included or not)

A retro rep, a didn't see that coming rep, and a Pokémon rep - this always happens in smash we always get these types of characters for Pokémon doesn't necessary mean we won't get one since we got a whole lot of them since everyone is back I say lycanroc or incineroar is the most likely in my opinion

Dark Samus - very very simple the dark Samus alt is missing on Samus and no assist trophy spotting so far and if you recall pits dark pit alternate was removed yes there is a black costume but the wings are not black like back in brawl

By the way I do know identity of the new back Samus alt

It's a demolition trooper from prime 3

And ofcoarse that echo status but there's a problem with that's case

Dark Samus prime 2 all forms and prime 3 have completely different attacks from samus and the assist trophy uses a few of those attacks I don't think they would remove them but doesn't mean she won't be echo if in.

Crash bandicoot (DLC) - crash is back to relevance recently with the trilogy thing also on the switch so back in the Nintendo family like old times so dream battle of Mario vs sonic vs crash can be achievable with this it's more likely for dlc because the trilogy came out too late (after the roster was finalized) the only miracle I saw if sakurai knew about the game while making the roster while the trilogy was under development

A tier

Captain toad - toad in peaches moveset doesn't necessary deconfirm him but has a lot of publicity recently Ian really high for the guy and is very requested and pretty much the last major Mario character not playable waluigi is not a main Mario character)

Banjo and kazooie - vergeben said minecraft might be involve so that means Microsoft would be involved of smash if that she the case and Phil said banjo would be ok for him to put in smash bros (and only doing it for money is absolutely banned arguement since I heard him say he wants banjo in smash bros during the Wii U/3ds era) and ofcoarse clearly he's pretty high on the ballot by logic

Isabella - highly requested character from animal crossing and series got big enough for more than one character for sure and she's became the main character of animal crossing recently
although the sad part how are they going to react to her being capture in ridleys final smash

heihachi - turns out sakurai highly considered him for smash bros 4 he failed due to Pac-man and hard to implement his moveset hut he did get a mii costume for a constellation prize though so maybe second Times a charm and tekken is a Namco version of street fighter

Spyro (DLC) - almost the same reasoning as crash just not truely confirmed if a triliogy the switch yet less likely since not as iconic as crash I supposive Ridley vs spyro would be a sweet battle since it would be battle of the purple dragons

To be continued...

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Took a bit of time and effort, but I finally finished a character support thread
Here it is
Boy, was that a ride.
Smashboard's "spoiler" function can get a bit wonky sometimes.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I've noticed the characters under my *Most Wanted* shift quite often, but this is a pretty good final draft of what I want, dream, and speculate about.

Most Wanted would make me 100% content.

Wanted Newcomers = 75% joy.

Secondary = 50% happiness.

Least Wanted Newcomers = Meh. At least we got something.
Smash.jpg

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Main Till The End Of Days:
Diddy Kong :ultdiddy:

True Secondary Till The End of Days:
Donkey Kong :ultdk:> Ike :ultike:= Mewtwo:ultmewtwo:

Mr. Most Wanted:
King K.Rool

Newcomers I Also Desperately Need:
Dixie Kong, Impa

Unlikely Newcomers I Want:
Banjo-Kazooie, Skull Kid, Isaac

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
That's a good point made about Samus missing her Dark Samus alt. Maybe add that to my guess list:

Simon Belmont (Vergeben)
Banjo-Kazooie (Vergeben's claim of Minecraft representation, tweets that don't explicitly deny his inclusion)
Bandana Waddle Dee (his absence in Dedede's final smash and that Amiibo info)
Dark Samus (alt missing)
Mach Rider
Ashley

Maybe also...

King K. Rool
Chorus Kids
Rayman
Geno
Sora if this means anything lol: https://twitter.com/TAHK0/status/1015372350739476487

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
Well, I’ll take a stab at this thread. I personally don’t expect a ton of new characters, based on what Sakurai has said, but there will probably be a few more. I’ll certainly take this chance to indulge in my opinions, though. I’m going to ramble on for a while, so don’t feel compelled to follow me the whole way. I’ll include a few lists at the end if that’s all you want to see. If you want to see my reasoning for one or all of the series I mention, though, it’s there in writing.

First off, I’ll address Donkey Kong. This series may not be front and center, but it has some great character potential. I mostly mention it because of one character, though: Dixie Kong. For one thing, I know it’s been hinted that she was considered in the past, and that, in addition to her latest appearance in Tropical Freeze, I think she probably has the best chance of all the DK characters. She would have to have at least a few differences from Diddy, so there isn’t too much of a chance of her being an echo or clone. Do I think she’ll make it? There’s a good chance, especially if the developers before have looked at her before.

I’ll address K. Rool as well. The development team has acknowledged the desire for this character in the form of the Mii costume for Smash 4, and he has a lot of backers this time around. Still, he is a bit stale, and aside from one or two Mario sports outings he hasn’t been in the spotlight lately. For whatever reason Retro is staying away from him and his Kremling henchmen in their iterations of DK platformers, whether it be because of legal issues or differences in taste. I think he has a chance, but not quite like Dixie. I'd like to see him, but I don't really expect to.

Now for some thoughts on the Legend of Zelda, which is perhaps my favorite Nintendo series. I know Zelda already has quite a bit of representation, but in reality only 3 of those characters are entirely unique, and I would love to see another unique moveset. The easiest way to achieve this might be to finally give Ganondorf his due and give him his own moveset, but we’ve already seen him in action in Ultimate, and aside from his new sword based smash attacks, which I definitely appreciate, he still has his Captain Falcon based specials. I know changing the character too much might upset some fans, but I still would like to see some uniquely Ganondorf moves. I’ve heard the suggestion of Dead man’s Volley, and while that is definitely a signature move, the back and forth nature of the move might not work very well in smash. I don’t see a way that characters would be locked into reflecting back the energy ball instead of just avoiding it, and there’s always the possibility of Ganondorf failing the move and damaging himself. Still, some creative work might be able to pull it off.

So who else would work for Zelda? I know Tingle has had his own game, but he’s so unpopular and I think he has already been confirmed as an assist trophy. I wouldn’t object to him as strongly as some, but I don’t see it as the representative Zelda deserves. Back in the heyday of Skyward Sword, I was a little interested in Ghirahim, as he had some good moveset potential and would have added another villain to the roster. But Skyward Sword has come and gone, and Ghirahim has been relegated to an assist trophy as well.

In terms of appearance in games, the next most common character might be Impa. I’ve heard some talk of including her as a echo fighter of Sheik, but that doesn’t really jive with me. I’d love it if she could pull off a unique moveset, but she doesn’t have too much to work with in the main games, what with being a little old lady half the time and not seeing too much action otherwise. Really the only main games that have viable designs are OoT and SS. But that said, the main games aren’t the only ones out there, and while I’ve personally never played them, I know the Hyrule Warriors game has been pretty popular. Impa sees plenty of action there, and has an interesting design synthesizing her various appearances to boot. The fact that she wields a yet unused weapon in Smash, a naginata, is promising, and there is definitely enough material for a moveset based on the Warriors from what I’ve seen. I wouldn’t object to using Warriors material, and it might be the best bet for a new unique character.

With the inclusion of Ridley, the Metroid series has a third unique character, and I definitely don’t see another happening just yet. However, there is always the possibility of an echo fighter, and the rumors are swirling for Dark Samus. Dark Samus is a character I’ve wanted since Brawl, for a couple of reasons. For one thing, it is perhaps my favorite ‘dark’ character, and I think the science fiction environment makes for a particularly interesting twist on the admittedly tired idea. Another reason is that I love what Retro did for the Metroid Prime games, and I personally like to root for characters from games that come out of Western developers. This is one of the reasons why I like the Next Level Games’ modern iteration of Little Mac so much, and I’d love to see more of Retro’s work acknowledged. I do believe Dark Samus has potential for an entirely unique moveset, but I know that’s probably not going to happen, so I’d be happy to settle for an echo fighter at this point. Here’s to hoping that the rumors are true and the Phazon-based organism joins the fray.

I have to admit, until recently I thought Kirby was pretty well covered. I couldn’t think of a character other than the ones that already were used that would be deserving of a space. The biggest suggestion I saw was Waddle Dee, and at first I was hesitant at the thought of including him. He was just an enemy grunt, after all, even if there was one who wore a blue bandanna. That’s what I thought, anyway. But the more I thought about it and did research, the more I warmed up to it. Despite being a big fan of Kirby in the past, I haven’t played many of the most recent games, and just by perusing the Bandanna Waddle Dee thread on this site, I’ve come to realize how prominent a character he has become. What’s more, I personally sympathize with the character, because when I was younger, I made a character that was a Waddle Dee who I drew pictures of alongside Kirby. He wielded a spear, just like the Waddle Dee spotlighted in the recent games, and had a helmet. I think he was based of the Dees in the anime, actually. So, for both sentimental and objective reasons, I’m a convert. I’d love to see the Waddle Dee with a bandanna as a fighter in Smash Ultimate.

Now that I’ve covered some choices that are likely or popular, I’ll mention a few of my own personal choices. I don’t expect any of these to make it in, but I would love to see it regardless.

I’m a big fan of the Rhythm Heaven series, but finding a good playable representative has been puzzling to me. I’ve seen suggestions of Karate Joe, Samurai, Chorus Kids, and Tap Trial Girl, and those are fine, but none of them seem quite right to me. For one thing, they all are stars of one specific minigame, and don’t really represent the series as a whole. Karate Joe has the perfect attendance record, yes, but his design might lend itself to more physical attacks and less wacky minigame references. The same goes for the Samurai. Chorus Kids are popular, but there are three of them, and moving three characters around the stage might be kind of the cumbersome. Tap Trial Girl I think has been used a few times in the series for different purposes, but she is still the representative of only one minigame, albeit one of the originals.

So, not quite satisfied with any of these, I’m going to suggest something else as a possibility: Tibby from Rhythm Heaven Megamix. He’s new, yes, but he doesn’t belong to any one minigame, he’s a single character, his stubby design lends itself to the wacky minigame references for moves, and his aesthetic would work well in Smash. I don’t really think there is much of a chance of his getting in, but would I like to see him? Certainly!

Although I’ve never completed any of the Mother games, I had a stint during which I was into Mother 3, and coming out of that was an interest in further Smash representation from that game. Particularly, I was drawn to the Masked Man, who I saw as having great moveset potential, as well as being another villain to add to the roster. The Masked Man’s moveset could go in a number of different ways, with his use of a beam sword, an arm cannon, lightning attacks, PSI attacks, and mechanical wings. The secret behind the Masked Man’s identity wouldn’t even have to be revealed for the purpose of the game. All in all, I think the character would be a great addition to the roster, giving Mother another unique representative and the game another great villain.

Finally, I’ll mention a 3rd party character from a series that I personally became enamored with for a long time: Capcom’s Monster Hunter. I loved everything about the game: the design of the monsters, the combat, the variety, the hunter costumes, the skill needed to play… It was my number one series for a while, despite not being owned by my preferred gaming company, Nintendo. Nowadays, as I play games less and less, I’ve allowed the series to go on without me, but I can’t help but pay tribute to one of my favorite game series.

Monster Hunter has already been acknowledged by the Smash series in the form of a Mii costume, and while that made me happy, there is no shortage of potential material for a unique character. Actually, there is potentially too much. With 14 weapon types in the main series, and an additional one in the Japan-exclusive MH Frontier series, there is little hope of representing all of them in Smash. Actually, I would prefer they didn’t try, and stuck to one or a handful of iconic weapons. Great Sword comes to mind, perhaps supplemented by Bowgun or Bow and Arrow for a ranged option. But the possibilities are truly endless.

I don’t see Capcom getting a 3rd representative, so Monster Hunter will probably never receive a fighter. But there certainly is a chance the series will be acknowledged again. I’d be totally fine with another Mii costume, personally, although I wish it would be usable online. In any case, this one is purely a personal choice, so I don’t expect to see it actually happen.

So those are most of my thoughts. Some of them are possibilities, and some are personal fancy. As such, I’ll make two lists, one for probable candidates, and one for characters I’d personally like to see. So, here goes!

Probable Newcomers:
  • Dixie Kong (unique fighter or semi-clone of Diddy)
  • Dark Samus (echo fighter of Samus)
Characters I’d like to see:
  • Impa (unique character)
  • Dark Samus (unique fighter or echo fighter of Samus)
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee (unique fighter)
  • Tibby (unique fighter)
  • Masked Man (unique fighter)
  • Monster Hunter (unique fighter or Mii costume)

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Ashley - her popularity level is almost close to the current smash characters confirmed so far and warioware gold can't talk about the amiibo function I mean IF wario is the only amiibo why can't they talk about it and the creator supports Ashley for smash and deleted that's tweet...why? that doesn't leak anything.
We already know from the EU Demo what the amiibo functionality is. It's some sketch thing where Wario draws the Amiibo onscreen. The only mystery left is the "???" tab on the Japanese site for the game.

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
Why is everyone thinking because of one echo where getting a bunch more?i think daisy was added to be the representative of echos,and echos and reskins don’t Sound ultimate to me they sound “meh” but maybe I’m wrong.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Why is everyone thinking because of one echo where getting a bunch more?i think daisy was added to be the representative of echos,and echos and reskins don’t Sound ultimate to me they sound “meh” but maybe I’m wrong.
I’ve had a similar opinion with regards to Echos. I do think we’ll probably get at least another, but I don’t think outright confirming them as Echo Fighters was more to shut people up about the clones. See, they’re not official unique newcomers, not they’re not taking up roster space sort of thing.

I think the support for Echo characters comes out of a few things. The first of which being Sakurai’s comments to not expect too many newcomers, but Echoes don’t fit that definition quite the same and are less effort. More Echo fighters would fit with the idea of less newcomers while still sort of giving us brand new characters.

The second is that Echo fighters give a chance to a lot of fighters who normally wouldn’t be considered. Ninten and Chrom come to mind as characters who wouldn’t have any chance in the game otherwise. Shadow is only likely as an Echo fighter, as we’d likely get Tails or Knuckles as a full character before him. And so on from there (Though suggestions like Dixie Kong and Impa as Echo fighters saddens me)

The third is just simply they’re a safer pick in predicting rosters. There is just less of a commitment to an Echo prediction, and as of now, they line up with certain alts and assist trophies missing.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You don’t create new branding for something to then not use it. The fact that clones now have an official name is preparing us (or telling us to brace ourselves) for more.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
It honestly struck me more as a way to sort of "legitimize" clones for the casual audience. Nothing's really changed except for this new name designation so casual fans can stop screaming about how Dark Pit stole someone's spot or nonsense like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom