• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just as I did in the other thread, these are the characters I predict will happen
  • Spring Man
  • Isabelle
  • Takamaru
  • A New Pokemon (Decidueye is top right now)
  • Rex and Pyra
The only other notable mention would be a Breath of the Wild champion. I just not sure as Zelda has been historically snuffed.

So how many newcomers are people predicting this time anyway?

64 had 12, Melee had 14, Brawl: 18, and Sm4sh had 22. Do people think it's likely we'll get 22+ newcomers?
Probably around 10-12. It's anyone's guess.

D

Deleted member

Rhythm Heaven is head and shoulders above Dillon in terms of likelihood. That series is actually pretty successful, has multiple retail titles, and, if the data is to go by (discount Gematsu if you must), we were intended to get a RH character.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if sooner than later Labo were to be up there as well.
I keep forgetting about a Rhythm Heaven character. I stand by that it was the Chorus Men and that they were cut from the last game due to technical problems. Sakurai could easily return to them if we're to assume the Ice Climbers are returning too.

A Nintendo Labo character would be a lot more likely if the release date was later. As it is, I don't think he's ready to include one yet.
So how many newcomers are people predicting this time anyway?

64 had 12, Melee had 14, Brawl: 18, and Sm4sh had 22. Do people think it's likely we'll get 22+ newcomers?
Good question.

If it's an enhanced port with a new name, somewhere between six and twelve characters including returnees. It's been too long to assume a mere MK8D situation and not more like Splatoon 2. If it's a full-fledged sequel, the definitely in the double digits but cuts are inevitable in that circumstance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's take a minute to appreciate that the Switch doing so well and getting so many ports mean the following characters are up for contention (under the loosest "rules") when such a thing would be unthinkable or close to it a year ago.

*Crash Bandicoot
*DoomGuy
*Dragonborn
*Cole Phelps
*Any of the Undertale cast
*Meat Boy (outside of "plz vote for our character" tweets)
* A flippin' Dark Souls rep (they even got an amiibo)

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Just as I did in the other thread, these are the characters I predict will happen
  • Spring Man
  • Isabelle
  • Takamaru
  • A New Pokemon (Decidueye is top right now)
  • Rex and Pyra
This seems like the safest bet, but I feel that if Takamaru was supposed to be added he'd have already be put in Smash 4. Something like balloon fighter makes more sense as a retro rep.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I listed what characters I wanted but I'll list now the characters I think are likely to happen. From most likely to least likely.

1. Ice Climbers
2. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
3. Rex & Pyra
4. New Pokemon rep
5. Wolf (An easy clone with good demand behind him, didn't Fox already have Wolfs moveset as alt moves?)
6. King K Rool (He got a Mii costume, I think that counts for more than people are thinking. It was basically an admission that he performed well on the ballot. So if they care at all about the ballot this time around, he could get in.)

After that I think it's completely up in the air.

I think 3rd parties are unlikely by default, even if they've made multiple appearances on a Nintendo console. However I think the likelihood of an "unlikely" 3rd party character is quite high. It's why I think characters like Crash Bandicoot or Banjo & Kazooie are both unlikely and likely at the same time. It's likely certain 3rd parties will get the golden ticket, but they can't all get the golden ticket.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I keep forgetting about a Rhythm Heaven character. I stand by that it was the Chorus Men and that they were cut from the last game due to technical problems. Sakurai could easily return to them if we're to assume the Ice Climbers are returning too.
For sure. I really hope we do get them at some point. Not only do I also believe they were intended for inclusion, but they just sound so much more interesting than a character like Karate Joe or the Wrestler or the Rhythm Girl or whatever she's called. In part because I've no idea how they'd function, but it sounds like, if only from piecing together why they might've been scrapped, that they would've been pretty unique. They're also just adorable. <3

A Nintendo Labo character would be a lot more likely if the release date was later. As it is, I don't think he's ready to include one yet.
Well sure, the game isn't even out yet.

D

Deleted member

Buzzwole would be ****ing glorious, however I need my archer owl more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Rhythm Heaven Girl makes the most sense for a Rhythm Heaven representative, because she's somewhat a mascot, is in a wide variety of minigames, and is female.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Rhythm Heaven Girl makes the most sense for a Rhythm Heaven representative, because she's somewhat a mascot, is in a wide variety of minigames, and is female.
Personally I like the Chorus Kids as an option more because they play off of the music and rhythm motif more obviously, due to being singers. I just think it's a nifty concept.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I think this would be a neat throwback-- what if they made more characters original to Smash? Ness and Captain Falcon really caught on, so I don't see why they haven't done this since Smash 64. Thoughts?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think this would be a neat throwback-- what if they made more characters original to Smash? Ness and Captain Falcon really caught on, so I don't see why they haven't done this since Smash 64. Thoughts?
Not sure what you mean by that.

Captain Falcon and Ness were already pre-established gaming figures, albeit nowhere near to the levels of their contemporaries. :mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::jigglypuff64::yoshi64::samus64::link64:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let's take a minute to appreciate that the Switch doing so well and getting so many ports mean the following characters are up for contention (under the loosest "rules") when such a thing would be unthinkable or close to it a year ago.

*Cole Phelps
Just pictured Cole Phelps in Smash and man would that be fun(ny). No way he’s getting over similar characters like Phoenix Wright or Prof Layton, but the whole realistic looking deal would make it even zanier.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Here me out, everyone. Keep an open mind. This is very possible. I'm just saying not to be surprised or even angry if it happens. Because it can, nay, should happen.

There's a character that is 1st party (more or less), comes from a relatively new and successful Nintendo IP that has had 4 games and counting in less than a decade, is the face of their respective franchise, originates from the DS era (an era that was largely glossed over with regards to playable reps), and comes from a series that is marketed towards girls (something that many Smash characters lack). This character has a lot going for them: demographics, popularity, originality, they're recent, etc. In fact, in their games, characters can don various Nintendo-themed outfits; in a way, they've celebrated Nintendo's history like Smash Bros. has. Smash would benefit from their exposure and vice versa; their games are solid yet underrated, but still manage to be successful enough to spawn sequels. But perhaps their biggest strength is obscurity. Very few people will anticipate this character in a fighting game (although IIRC, the devs behind this character are the ones who made the best wrestling games on the N64!). She is not a typical brawler. However, that means that she would bring something new to the table. So, which character is it? Well, the avatar advertised on all of the Style Savvy (AKA Girls Mode or Style Boutique) game covers, aptly nicknamed Savvy Stylist. How fitting (pun intended), Style Savvy is the epitome of customization, a recent trend we've seen in Smash Bros. Alternate costumes... creatable/customizable characters. Smash fans have no idea how much the stuff we love is what her game is all about!

Still don't think she has a shot? Well, aside from all of the legitimate reasons listed, Style Savvy not only got a trophy in Smash 4, but the series got two songs (one of which was a remix). That's an unusual amount of love for a debut appearance of a niche series. She'll be Wii Fit Trainer level unexpected, if not more so, but I believe that this newcomer has a huge shot of getting in Smash (if not this time, then definitely one day). You've heard it here first, folks. Thank you for your time.

Also, I think Takamaru is a shoe-in at this point. So is an ARMS character. Aside from that, I'd like to see Anna from Fire Emblem make it in since she's pretty much the series mascot.

Last edited:

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
I would say for newcomers there are some options definitely.

Petey Phiranha
King Boo
Captain Toad
Waluigi
King K. Rool
King Hippo
Daruk (or one of the Champions)
Maz Koshia
Medusa
Some new Fire Emblem Character/Characters
Wolf
Krystal
Pokemon Gen 8 Starter (would like to see Decidueye but who knows it may happen)
Porky
Isabelle
K.K. Slider
Bass (Megaman's original rival)
Shadow the Hedgehog
Chun-Li
Sepiroth
Spring Man
Ribbon Girl
Travis Touchdown
Shovel Knight
Bomberman
Crash
Alucard

Will some of these characters make it? Maybe. Will most of these not make it? Most definitely. But some of them have a chance, I'd say that a new Mario character, Waluigi, King Hippo, a new Zelda character, The obligatory Fire Emblem/Pokemon characters, a new Animal Crossing character, ARMS characters and Travis Touchdown have the higher chances. I would put Ridley but with Sakurai at the helm that will not happen...

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
We've reached a point in the series where I feel every obvious pick is already in the game. The only characters I think are shoe-ins are Springman and Rex & Pyra since they represent new worlds added after Smash 4. When I look at the current roster of the big four (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and Fire Emblem) I can't really see more than a couple of characters being added between them. I actually like this a lot as it gives the smaller series a chance to expand and the roster will likely be more unpredictable than ever. If I were to predict 12 newcomers then they would be

1. Inklings (confirmed)
  2. Springman
  3. Rex & Pyra
  4. Decidueye
  5. Dixie Kong or K. Rool
  6. Bandana Dee
  7. Elma or Fiora
  8. New FE lord
  9. Crash Bandicoot
  10. Rayman
  11. Bomberman
  12. Dr. Eggman or Tails
You could make a case for Kid Icarus, Mother and Starfox getting new characters as well, not to mention we'll likely get a surprise character like G&W, R.O.B and Duck Hunt. I didn't list BOTW Link as I don't know if he's replacing regular link or how different his moveset will be but he's likely a newcomer as well.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Kid Icarus has too many characters as it is. Another would be too many for Starfox if you count Wolf. Three would be too many for Earthbound, but only because Ness and Lucas are so similar.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
After last game's... drama I just really hope Rayman gets in at this point and it's not THAT unlikely. I hope ARMS won't get a rep I think all the characters are super generic and boring.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Kid Icarus has too many characters as it is. Another would be too many for Starfox if you count Wolf. Three would be too many for Earthbound, but only because Ness and Lucas are so similar.
Sorry, but I have to disagree here. There are some people who want Krystal when people count Wolf for Star Fox characters. Kid Icarus complaints of "Too many characters" was mostly due to Dark Pit not being too different from Pit as I see it. We could've gotten Viridi or Hades, but some extra time went into Dark Pit as a separate character. As for Earthbound/Mother, Giygas/Giegue as appearing in Mother1/Earthbound Beginnings or Porky/Pokey Minch are also for those wanting something out of that series.

Fire Emblem characters with swords and being the typical "Lord" class are more concerning if you're worried about "Too many characters" and the same could go with Smash's fire usage in general, once again, if you are worried about "Too many characters".

I would be interested in a "jack of all trades" kind of character, but I already said who so many times on the boards.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
I believe almost every current franchise has more than enough representation already. The only series that I think are in need of new characters are DK and Xenoblade. Just going through the Franchises already in the game.

Mario - 7 characters as of Smash 4 (9 if you count Yoshi and Wario) and I don't see any other character from this series being popular enough to make it in with maybe the exception of Waluigi but that feels like a stretch.

Zelda - Link, Zelda and Ganondorf do a good enough job of representing the series and Toon Link is there to represent the cell shaded games. If both Link and Zelda are getting reworked to match their BOTW appearances then that'll probably enough to justify keeping the lineup the same.

Pokemon - We're at 6 already and a seventh is inevitable with it being either Decidueye or a gen 8 Pokemon.

Fire Emblem - It's been discussed to death already but this series has more than enough characters right now. The only reason you'd add more is, like Pokemon, to promote the newest game.

DK -
Probably the only legacy franchise that desperately needs a new character. Whether it's K. Rool or Dixie I don't mind but it feels lackluster with just Donkey and Diddy.

Metroid - Who else would you really add? Ridley has been rejected time and time again so I can't ever see him making it so who does that leave? The hunters are too minor with the excpetion of Sylux but even he feels like a small fry compared to Samus and Ridley. That only really leaves Dark Samus but then I wouldn't want Metroid to be represented by three characters called Samus.

Kirby - I think it's about time Kirby got another rep. The series is still going strong and has a new game coming out soon. Bandana Dee makes the most sense but I wouldn't be opposed to Marx or Magolor joining instead.

Kid Icarus - 3 characters is admittedly a lot for series with only one modern game but I think it's deserving simply because of the options available like Hades, Medusa and Viridi. I personally wouldn't mind seeing any one of those three making it in.

Mother - It's a dead series but the reason I feel it still has a chance is because, like Kid Icarus, it has a fairly wide pool of characters to choose from with the likes of Ninten, the Masked Man and Porky.

Starfox - Wolf needs to come back for sure and you could make a case for Krystal as well I guess.

Xenoblade -
This series has grown a lot since Smash 4 so it's definitely deserving of at least one more character, hell maybe even two.

All other solo reps do a good enough job representing their series with the exception of Sonic who I feel deserves another character.

As I said before, we're at the point where 3 characters a series can't really be seen as 'a lot' anymore unless it's something like Wii Fit of course. I think the best thing this game could do is introduce new IPs that currently don't have a rep like Rhythm Heaven and try to get more third party characters like Rayman.

Last edited:

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
Basically Mario will set the pace on how many characters will be in the game, that is Nintendo's flagship franchise and they won't have another one of the Nintendo franchises surpassing it in representation. We also have to take into account that some of the characters in Smash 4 aren't coming back too, I don't think the cuts will be too crazy but at the end I'm expecting 60+ Characters in game with Mario having at least 8-9 characters alone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Basically Mario will set the pace on how many characters will be in the game, that is Nintendo's flagship franchise and they won't have another one of the Nintendo franchises surpassing it in representation. We also have to take into account that some of the characters in Smash 4 aren't coming back too, I don't think the cuts will be too crazy but at the end I'm expecting 60+ Characters in game with Mario having at least 8-9 characters alone.
To be fair, Pokémon had more characters than Super Mario in Brawl. Six compared to four.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Technically Mario had 8 characters in Smash Brawl. Smash 4 had that increased to 11 characters. I hope we get 13 or 14 of them in Smash Switch!

Last edited:

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
To be fair, Pokémon had more characters than Super Mario in Brawl. Six compared to four.
I consider Pokemon Trainer as just one character but with three different stances, you may not see it as that but that is not how I see it. Basically at this point Mario is going to set the pace and every other franchise will have to play second fiddle to it in terms of representation.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Alright, time for me to give my newcomer list a go.

1. Inklings - already confirmed.
2. Rex & Pyra.
3. ARMS rep.
4. Legend of Zelda BotW rep.
5. New Pokemon rep.
6. New Fire Emblem rep.
7. Dillon.
8. Takamaru
9. Captain Toad
10. Another retro Nintendo character.

Last edited:

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Here me out, everyone. Keep an open mind. This is very possible. I'm just saying not to be surprised or even angry if it happens. Because it can, nay, should happen.

There's a character that is 1st party (more or less), comes from a relatively new and successful Nintendo IP that has had 4 games and counting in less than a decade, is the face of their respective franchise, originates from the DS era (an era that was largely glossed over with regards to playable reps), and comes from a series that is marketed towards girls (something that many Smash characters lack). This character has a lot going for them: demographics, popularity, originality, they're recent, etc. In fact, in their games, characters can don various Nintendo-themed outfits; in a way, they've celebrated Nintendo's history like Smash Bros. has. Smash would benefit from their exposure and vice versa; their games are solid yet underrated, but still manage to be successful enough to spawn sequels. But perhaps their biggest strength is obscurity. Very few people will anticipate this character in a fighting game (although IIRC, the devs behind this character are the ones who made the best wrestling games on the N64!). She is not a typical brawler. However, that means that she would bring something new to the table. So, which character is it? Well, the avatar advertised on all of the Style Savvy (AKA Girls Mode or Style Boutique) game covers, aptly nicknamed Savvy Stylist. How fitting (pun intended), Style Savvy is the epitome of customization, a recent trend we've seen in Smash Bros. Alternate costumes... creatable/customizable characters. Smash fans have no idea how much the stuff we love is what her game is all about!
My friend really likes Style Savvy, so if she saw Savvy Stylist as a character she'd be up and down a wall some

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I want :015: in Smash
Hey.

Bud.

You got good taste.

Anyways, I made a list of 10 characters, and I bet 4 of them will make it. These characters are:

Rex (Xenoblade 2)
Dixie Kong (DKC 2)
Spring Man (ARMS)
Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
Waluigi (Mario Tennis)
Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
Decidueye (Pokemon Sun/Moon)
Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Banjo (Banjo Kazooie)
Amaterasu (Okami)

I could go into detail into each one, but I'm just going to say that for the 3rd parties, Banjo is the only real big one I think is left, and I think Amaterasu is probably the likeliest 3rd Capcom character (as much as I want Phoenix Wright)

Lyn because I'm pretty sure she keeps topping the Heroes polls and she's one of the 2 "outsider" FE characters in Warriors, and the only one that didn't have a game come out recently.

This being said I still only expect 4 of these to get in but I wouldn't be surprised if more did.

KatKit

Smash Lord
My friend really likes Style Savvy, so if she saw Savvy Stylist as a character she'd be up and down a wall some
I see your friend is a woman of culture as well~ In all seriousness, I'd be excited too.

I know several people who said that they bought Style Savvy because they liked the song(s) in Smash, or they never heard of it before Smash and they wanted to check it out. They didn't expect to like it, but a majority of them became fans. Most of the people I'm talking about are grown men. It really is a good game for what it is. I say the same thing to people who play Style Savvy but never tried out Smash. So yeah, including the Savvy Stylist really does benefit both series. I just wish more folks would realize that she has a legitimate shot at getting in the game, and how big of an impact her inclusion will have.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'mma break things down by existing series

Mario: Most, if not all of the big characters are now in but it's Mario so who know what the limit is
(Captain Toad, Pauline, Daisy, Waluigi, Geno)

Zelda: Depends on if they start integrating characters who were around for one game or played minor roles
(Impa, Midna, BotW Champions, *groan*... Tingle)

Pokemon: Definitely getting a new character, question is who
(800+ of the things, take your pick)

Donkey Kong: Full of potential characters from the across the series.
(Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Pauline [again] King K. Rool)

Metroid: Has a few choices but most of them are dicey on grounds of size, number of appearances or being in the sub-series of suspect canonicity
(Dark Samus, Stylux, Federation Trooper, RIDLEY)

Kirby: Has a couple of characters but none who've had a big story role. Closest is Bandana WaddleDee being player 2-4 in Rainbow Curse
(Bandana Waddle Dee, Prince Fluff, Gooey, Rick the Hamster, Galacta Knight)

Star Fox: Has a large cast to pick from, just need to hope the series damp performance doesn't impact it's Smash prospects.
(Wolf [again], Krystal, Slippy, Peppy, Chickenwalker Arwing)

Yoshi: Err... Tricky one...
(Yarn Yoshi, Kamek, Poochy?)

F-Zero: Not lacking in characters to pick from, just a reason to do so
(Samurai Goroh, Jody Summers, Black Shadow, other racers)

Earthbound: Ness and Lucas borrow their powers from their allies so that may hamper their chances.
(Ninten, Paula, Jeff, Poo, Kumatora, Duster, Boney, Masked Man)

Fire Emblem: Not lacking in characters but how will the roster be defined?
(Lyn, Chrom, Black Knight [naming but a few], FE Switch protag)

Retro: Likely but hard to determine who
(Ice Climbers [again], Excite Bike, Urban Champion, Takamaru)

Wario: Not lacking in characters but will one make the jump to playable?
(Waluig [again], Mona, Ashley, Kat & Ana, 9-Volt, Captain Syrup)

Pikmin: Nearly had a second character in the last game. Will Alph get his chance again?
(Alph, Louie, Brittany, Charlie)

Kid Icarus: I think Dark Pit is up for a decloning before any new characters
(Viridi, Magnus, Medusa, Hades)

Animal Crossing: There's a lot of aspects to AC that villager doesn't quite encompass. Maybe one of the NPCs will get a chance
(Tom Nook, KK Slider, Isabelle, Ressetti)

Punch-Out: Everyone knows the opponents are the best part of the game...
(King Hippo, Great Tiger, Glass Joe, Mr Sand Man, Bald Bull)

Xenoblade: The series really took off since 4 with two huge RPGs
(Rook [XCX PC], Elma, Rex & Pyra)

Wii Fit: ................................................................... I got nothing
(nothing, nada, zip)

Splatoon: The typical Inklings seen in the debut Trailer are packing the standard Splatershot but there's a lot more the game has to offer
Characters: (Callie, Marie, Cap'n Cuttlefish, Pearl, Marina, Agent 8)
Weapons: (Roller, Charger, Bucket, Splataling, Inkbrush, Dualies, Splat-brella)

Phew... and not not even touching on 3rd parties and new series.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
in the past ive predicted several characters for both brawl and smash 4 (though in retrospect they were probably safe bets) but this time around im really not sure who's a very likely and wwhos not

well apart from the inklings but everyone predicted that and we were right

JimmyT23

Smash Rookie
But...

The game sold almost two million copies in less than a year.

People still play the game online.

Why and how do people think its a failure?
I agree that a lot of people do view it that way but I also think a lot of people don’t. It’s just cuz it’s not the hit splatoon was. But if I had to guess I bet when pikmin came out people we’re like raving about it everywhere. Think in a couple years people will still remember Arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom