• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
that idea makes sense, but th trident seems like a pretty bis projectile, and if he switched to the dual swords he would need new attacks because swords probably would look weird with staff animation and hitboxes, so I think it would have to be one or the other, and the trident would return or respawn like k rools crown. on the Ganondorph thing, even if he is "cloney" he's fun and unique. he's got unique culture and following, so I don't think it would be worth it to change him.
I think if we were to add ganon, he'd have his looks from ocarina, not link to the past, and what about other zelda villains like skull kid, vaati, yuga and ghirahim

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Huh, if we're talking Zelda characters I'd have to go with either Impa or Tingle. Impa for her showing up nearly as often as the main characters, and Tingle simply due to his spin off games, as well as overall Japanese popularity.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think if we were to add ganondorf, he'd have his looks from ocarina, not link to the past, and what about other zelda villains like skull kid, vaati, yuga and ghirahim
Vaati needs his look from The Minish Cap; the alternative is not suited to being a playable character.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think if we were to add ganondorf, he'd have his looks from ocarina, not link to the past, and what about other zelda villains like skull kid, vaati, yuga and ghirahim
Ganondorf was never in A Link to the Past though. Unless you're referring to Agahnim?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I asked a few websites for which DLC character would get them to change their main. Here is a poll using the top ten answers. https://linkto.run/p/UIJ65IQE
Weird way to phrase that question, I think most people except for die-hard fans wouldn't change their main without at least knowing something about them. I selected that I wouldn't but I'd be excited about several of them.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Short of Arle Nadja, nobody will get me to switch my projected main. I might multi-main (Paper Mario, Banjo, Crash, Geno), I might pick them up as secondaries (my other wanted characters) but only Arle will get my to abandon everybody else and solo-main her.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I asked a few websites for which DLC character would get them to change their main. Here is a poll using the top ten answers. https://linkto.run/p/UIJ65IQE
Great lineup, all characters I'd love to see, but considering my most-wanted in Joker was confirmed and has already made me consider changing my main I can't say these would.

That said, Sans and Neku I would absolutely lab and try and use as my backups.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well some news

Turns out we found a key to why joker got in

Sakurai likes persona 5

And to point he said the same things about Minecraft and undertale

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well some news

Sakurai likes persona 5

Keep in mind that Sakurai stopped posting on Twitter so often because every time that he liked/was playing a game, people assumed that it had to tie into Smash somehow. Maybe he's just a fan of video games, and not every game that he likes is necessarily going to be included in Smash Bros.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's possible he likes Persona 5 more than them, because it influenced the menu design in SSBU while Minecraft and Undertale didn't influence anything.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well some news

Sakurai likes persona 5

He also loves the Nier and Drakengard series, and the classic mode credits sequence is reminiscent of a sequence in one of those games.

I'm not foolish enough to believe this means we are getting 2B or Sans, but I certainly wouldn't complain.

WaluigiFan81

Smash Rookie
I definitely think Waluigi will appear as the final DLC character for SSBU, since people on Twitter see Waluigi-like easter eggs in the SSBU Media, like the building in the commercial to right has a faint image of Waluigi, and even the cloud next to Pac-Man has a head shape to Waluigi, and even a purple fog on the moon has what appears to be a Waluigi face, it's very likely that Sakurai has heard our wishes and might be giving us our wishes via secrets, since secrets in gaming media is an interesting trend, they added Dark Samus and Isabelle as playable fighters, heck, Shadow, Isaac, or Knuckles could be next, but a rightful place for Waluigi remains unseen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I definitely think Waluigi will appear as the final DLC character for SSBU, since people on Twitter see Waluigi-like easter eggs in the SSBU Media, like the building in the commercial to right has a faint image of Waluigi, and even the cloud next to Pac-Man has a head shape to Waluigi, and even a purple fog on the moon has what appears to be a Waluigi face, it's very likely that Sakurai has heard our wishes and might be giving us our wishes via secrets, since secrets in gaming media is an interesting trend, they added Dark Samus and Isabelle as playable fighters, heck, Shadow, Isaac, or Knuckles could be next, but a rightful place for Waluigi remains unseen.
This again.

Admit it man. No assists are getting promoted to playable status. If this is also done for Waluigi too then it won't be fair for the Ashley and Isaac fans.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
As much as I've been pushing Lyn, it's hopeless. It's pretty clear he sees assist trophies as consolation prizes for not getting in and he'd never really reconsider that.

So far, the only promotions have been:
A character with a new game about them that just came out.
A character who became the mascot of their franchise.
An echo clone.

And outside Shadow, none of the ATs fit that descriptor.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Let's say if some of the DLC does consist of third party characters, here are some of my choices:

CAPCOM: Chun-Li, Dante, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright.
Bandai Namco: Heihachi Mishima, Jin Kazama, Lloyd Irving, Sophitia Alexandria, Nightmare.
SEGA: Tails, Eggman, Beat.
SNK: Terry Bogard, Kyo Kusanagi, Athena Asamiya.
Tecmo Koei: Ryu Hayabusa, Kasumi.
Square-Enix: Another Final Fantasy character, Dragon Quest character.

KloupLoup

Smash Cadet
This again.

Admit it man. No assists are getting promoted to playable status. If this is also done for Waluigi too then it won't be fair for the Ashley and Isaac fans.
I don't really think that reasoning is that valid. Just because a character would be elevated and others wouldn't be isn't UNFAIR to the characters who didn't, it just means they didn't, just like all the other characters that didn't get in. I don't think Sakurai really goes by that kind of logic. Also If Sakurai never said that it wasn't possible then it could happen. I feel like we think to much in the vain of "Oh it HASNT HAPPENNED so that means IT WONT HAPPEN" Also are we forgetting that Smash 4 was the first and only smash game that included DLC before this? That means the rules for DLC aren't established fully, and that being said the DLC for Smash 4 was for a game on a failed console (although the Wii U is much better than people give it credit for) at the end of its life span, while the DLC for Smash Ultimate is for a wildly successful console at the beginning of its life, meaning the thought process of DLC could be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
What does Joker tell us about the DLC fighter selection process?

1. The DLC fighters were planned sometime after Persona 5's Japan release in September 2016, probably a decent amount of time after that since they had no way to know it would be as big of a hit as it was -- especially in the West where it wasn't released until April 2017.

2. Nintendo does not care very much if a character has not appeared (and quite possibly will never appear) on a Nintendo console.

3. Nintendo cares about characters that are currently popular (at the time of DLC planning) at least as much as characters that have a great deal of history.

Some characters that seem more likely in this light having also been very popular in 2016 and/or 2017:

- Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn)
- 2B (Nier: Automata)
- Noctis (Final Fantasy:XV)
- Heihachi (Tekken 7)
- Space Marine (Doom)

I personally wouldn't put any of these over say Dixie Kong in terms of likelihood for DLC fighters, but Joker wasn't even on my honorary mentions list so I clearly missed something ;)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
PSA:

The ArcSys Granblue Fighting Game has been announced
This confirms that Hitagi has inside info on cygames.
Previously, he had leaked info regarding Steve from Minecraft and Katalina from Granblue Fantasy but has since backed down on those claims.

With this in mind, it may be worth it to reconsider their chances for making it in.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

1. The DLC fighters were planned sometime after Persona 5's Japan release in September 2016, probably a decent amount of time after that since they had no way to know it would be as big of a hit as it was -- especially in the West where it wasn't released until April 2017.

2. Nintendo does not care very much if a character has not appeared (and quite possibly will never appear) on a Nintendo console.

3. Nintendo cares about characters that are currently popular (at the time of DLC planning) at least as much as characters that have a great deal of history.

Some characters that seem more likely in this light having also been very popular in 2016 and/or 2017:

- Heihachi (Tekken 7)
- Space Marine (Doom)

I personally wouldn't put any of these over say Dixie Kong in terms of likelihood for DLC fighters, but Joker wasn't even on my honorary mentions list so I clearly missed something ;)
I wonder if they'd have to back down on Heihachi because of his Japanese VA passing, if that's why they've hesitated on new Snake codecs (Colonels Japanese VA passing). Unless they can get away with reusing voice clips. Jin happens to be more of a poster boy for the franchise anyway, even if he wasn't there at the start (like Cloud and Joker). And I seriously doubt getting another FF character when everything from FF is very scarce in Ultimate. Maybe Sora or Geno, assuming the latters spirit doesn't deconfirm him.
But hey, with those requirements, Crash's chances are looking better than ever!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wonder if they'd have to back down on Heihachi because of his Japanese VA passing, if that's why they've hesitated on new Snake codecs (Colonels Japanese VA passing). Unless they can get away with reusing voice clips. Jin happens to be more of a poster boy for the franchise anyway, even if he wasn't there at the start (like Cloud and Joker). And I seriously doubt getting another FF character when everything from FF is very scarce in Ultimate. Maybe Sora or Geno, assuming the latters spirit doesn't deconfirm him.
But hey, with those requirements, Crash's chances are looking better than ever!
I don't think that we are going to have anyone from a western third-party franchise.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
PSA:

Previously, he had leaked info regarding Steve from Minecraft and Katalina from Granblue Fantasy but has since backed down on those claims.

With this in mind, it may be worth it to reconsider their chances for making it in.
To their defense, they were right about a Granblue Fantasy character getting in Smash....

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

- Heihachi (Tekken 7)
- Space Marine (Doom)

Aloy is a Sony character, so I doubt that she’s in the running.

PSA:

Oh no...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’m not scared of her, if Hitagi has any semblance of credibility then Steve might actually be a thing.
Here's some of Hitagi's other claims:

Here's the source:https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77188739

1. Steve is indeed one of the packs characters

2. Katalina (granblue) still likely despite the “fell through” thing Vergeben mentioned

3. Another western made character is likely one of the packs (for me best I can think of is crash bandicoot)

4. The square rep may be a dragon quest rep

5. The VGA announcement thing may be faulty information

6. Banjo not likely :(

7. Atlus rep and Bethesda rep not happening

8. Sora, Geno, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Rex/Pyra, Professor Layton, Zack Fair, any other Final Fantasy character, Lloyd Irving, Prince of All Cosmos, and any other Bamco rep very likely.....not to happen :( and paper Mario and advanced wars chances are dead all together.

9. We will still love the 5 chosen characters regardless

Hitagi outright said that there are no Atlus characters. He's fake.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

2. Katalina (granblue) still likely despite the “fell through” thing Vergeben mentioned

3. Another western made character is likely one of the packs (for me best I can think of is crash bandicoot)

8. Sora, Geno, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Rex/Pyra, Professor Layton, Zack Fair, any other Final Fantasy character, Lloyd Irving, Prince of All Cosmos, and any other Bamco rep very likely.....not to happen :( and paper Mario and advanced wars chances are dead all together.

Hitagi said that there will be no Atlus characters.
Thank the Lord.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
ding dong the leakers dead

So why would we not be getting anyone from a Western third party, Riley?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
ding dong the leakers dead

So why would we not be getting anyone from a Western third party, Riley?
Mostly because I think that asking a Japanese developer for a character would be more convenient for Nintendo because they're in the same country.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think we will get a Western third-party. However, I can only see one at most. Its too much work to get a lot of them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Here's the source:https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77188739

Hitagi outright said that there are no Atlus characters. He's fake.
Hitagi never said an Advance Wars character wasn't going to happen. He just said to his knowledge no one said anything or at least his sources.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom