• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be honest.

Vergeben's been saying "Minecraft content" for a very long time, but... we kinda know that it can't be DLC based on that.

Because Smash's DLC was only decided within the past few weeks, and Vergeben's been saying "Minecraft Content" for months.
That is admittedly weird. That said, this is why I expect it base game.

Also, we don't know if Nintendo has been in talks about their choices for DLC and only now decided upon it and gave Sakurai the list. That's why they were rumors. It doesn't really contradict it.

Talks isn't the same as "being given a final roster choice", after all. Let's not forget that characters get considered too. It's also just as possible that the Minecraft content was leakbait(though that is irrelevant to whether Steve is chosen by Nintendo or not, and there's a good chance they have him on their list). Considering how we have yet to see it, it makes sense. Besides that, he's gotten very vague messages on what it is. It's the perfect leakbait since it's really difficult to confirm the exact details. Not to say exact details are common for leaker information to get. That's pretty rare to get it all. Verg didn't get information on K. Rool or Richter. He did get information on Isaac's status. Though it'd be interesting to learn when he got it(as that could tell us more about the development).

KMDP

Smash Legend
That is admittedly weird. That said, this is why I expect it base game.

Also, we don't know if Nintendo has been in talks about their choices for DLC and only now decided upon it and gave Sakurai the list. That's why they were rumors. It doesn't really contradict it.

Talks isn't the same as "being given a final roster choice", after all. Let's not forget that characters get considered too. It's also just as possible that the Minecraft content was leakbait(though that is irrelevant to whether Steve is chosen by Nintendo or not, and there's a good chance they have him on their list). Considering how we have yet to see it, it makes sense. Besides that, he's gotten very vague messages on what it is. It's the perfect leakbait since it's really difficult to confirm the exact details. Not to say exact details are common for leaker information to get. That's pretty rare to get it all. Verg didn't get information on K. Rool or Richter. He did get information on Isaac's status. Though it'd be interesting to learn when he got it(as that could tell us more about the development).
Based on Vergeben talking about Minecraft being in Smash for so long, I kind of expect it to be a collection of Spirits and for that to be about it.

Steve being DLC or not would be unrelated to Vergeben's claims.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Based on Vergeben talking about Minecraft being in Smash for so long, I kind of expect it to be a collection of Spirits and for that to be about it.

Steve being DLC or not would be unrelated to Vergeben's claims.
That outright assumes Nintendo never thought of DLC choices till a few weeks ago at best. Rex was confirmed to be a DLC costume already. That means DLC was already thought of in some ways quite some time back.

There's no real contradictions. He didn't say it that long ago, just within the year. Piranha Plant had a lot of work done already, way more than Mewtwo did. That means that they already thought about DLC within the year too. It's very possible that the details he got was based upon DLC talks they had within... the year. Which is what he leaked.

...No I can't figure out a better way to say it. Just that the timing still matches up with the development period and discussions. There is no way Nintendo just slapped together a list and had zero discussion on it beforehand. Of course there were discussions about things like promotions, who would be easiest to license, who they felt would sell well, etc. These take time. They have to look into many things like how well a series is selling to determine if it's a good idea for them alone. Things like how iconic a choice is, if the idea is worth it(like choosing certain AT's), and so on. Multiple meetings happening is highly believable.

In fact, the timing is a lot more perfect than people think. The leakers telling Verg they know if MC content simply means it was discussed as a possibility for base game. Them saying Steve could be DLC just means he was among talks for ideas of who can be it. Of course they only heard about it more recently(within the last few months). That's most likely when DLC talk began. It still adds up overall. It's well known that DLC takes a long time to license and figure out. It's not a super quick process. Thus, there are no actual contradictions here.

Of course, the possibility absolutely exists it was leakbait too. But both are easily possible either way.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
There’s definitely something suspicious going on considering in the direct Sakurai himself states the dlc licks were made back in 2015 with the project plan, yet this directly contradicts several other pieces of info we’ve gotten...

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
Just to be clear, since people are basing arguments on when the DLC lineup was picked, that is not information we currently know for sure. (or if it is I would love a source!)

In the Direct Sakurai said Xenoblade 2 came out too late for Rex to be in the fighters planned from the project's beginning. They did not say if DLC fighters were included in that project plan or not.

Sakurai's tweet only said the "DLC line-up is now complete". Which could be interpreted as a recent decision or a past decision that still "is now complete". Weird phrasing if it was a past decision, but translations are hard, and even if Sakurai's final lineup was just recently completed Nintendo must have made its initial selection earlier to have time for all the DLC effort Legendary Spirit Tamer has pointed out.

So we only know for sure that DLC was planned somewhere between December 2015 and November 2018, which leaves plenty of room for speculation! :)

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I just want to bring up the possibility of Reimu from Touhou Project as being one of the DLC selections. I've written up my full reasoning a few days ago, and it's linked in my sig if you have the time to read it.

As far as I know, the top 3 meme third party suggestions in Japan are Reimu, Saber from Fate/Stay Night and Sans from Undertale. She's from an indie franchise, and indies have already been referenced to extensively in the game. If the DLC cast was truly finalized in November 2018, I think she definitely has a shot, considering the timing of everything.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay, but do we know for a fact its real? Some people do not seem convinced in that thread.
Yeah, I'm calling fake on this because from what I understand this isn't a piece of official Steve art and Cirno being there is likely just to provoke a reaction. It's plausible but this all seems unlikely, especially considering they're doing the fake leak special of taking a blurry photo when Nintendo allowed people with the hands-on experience to take real video and caps, and the Switch has a built in screenshot feature that is simple to use.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So this would be the dream dlc line-up (at least for me):
-Crash Bandicoot
-Tails
-Lycanroc
-Dixie Kong
-Shantae

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm calling fake on this because from what I understand this isn't a piece of official Steve art and Cirno being there is likely just to provoke a reaction. It's plausible but this all seems unlikely, especially considering they're doing the fake leak special of taking a blurry photo when Nintendo allowed people with the hands-on experience to take real video and caps, and the Switch has a built in screenshot feature that is simple to use.
About the image, Cirno is obscure outside the Touhou fandom (and it's somewhat hard to track down the picture used).

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Well, either the Steve Spirit is fake, Spirits don't disconfirm characters, or Hitagi is wrong (and since this is Minecraft content, Verge is right again).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
About the image, Cirno is obscure outside the Touhou fandom (and it's somewhat hard to track down the picture used).
Yes, but Touhou being in Smash is a meme pick to a large portion of the fandom who would make fake Spirit images. The Cirno image is a piece of official art, so there's nothing suspect about it other than the Steve render and the idea that Touhou would receive Smash representation anyway.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Yes, but Touhou being in Smash is a meme pick to a large portion of the fandom who would make fake Spirit images. The Cirno image is a piece of official art, so there's nothing suspect about it other than the Steve render and the idea that Touhou would receive Smash representation anyway.
It was on Know your meme..... must I say more?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok we know all the spirits now (sort of since more are on the way in patches)

These are the most notable of not being spirits

Banjo Kazooie
Sylux
Rythmn Girl
Porky
Monster Hunter
Adeliene
Tibby
Edelgard
Cross
Travis Touchdown
Crash Bandicoot
Sora
Reimu
Hayabusa
Lloyd Irving
Steve
Style Savvy
Erdrick
Slime
Chrono
Doomguy
Dante
Saber
Bit Trip Runner
Heihachi
Jack Frost

The biggest ones is sylux and porky

Porky for having history for smasha nd would have Ben easily a boss but doesn’t look likely since he doesn’t have a spirit

Sylux it all really depends how big of a role he has but he’s a character in Metroid prime hunters

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Off Topic: I'm actually liking a number of remixes from what I'm hearing within Smash Ultimate's music list!

On Topic: On Steve, wasn't it Hitagi who claimed that Steve is definitely in and Vergeben only mentioned that Minecraft will have some form of content or am I missing something?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
On Topic: On Steve, wasn't it Hitagi who claimed that Steve is definitely in and Vergeben only mentioned that Minecraft will have some form of content or am I missing something?
Yes. Hitagi is the one claiming that Steve is in, while Vergeben only said that Minecraft will have some form of content and he never said anything specific.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910

Banjo Kazooie
Sylux
Rythmn Girl
Porky
Monster Hunter
Adeliene
Tibby
Edelgard
Cross
Travis Touchdown
Crash Bandicoot
Sora
Reimu
Hayabusa
Lloyd Irving
Steve
Style Savvy
Erdrick
Slime
Chrono
Doomguy
Dante
Saber
Bit Trip Runner
Heihachi
Jack Frost

Porky for having history for smasha nd would have Ben easily a boss but doesn’t look likely since he doesn’t have a spirit

Sylux it all really depends how big of a role he has but he’s a character in Metroid prime hunters
Thanks a lot, you just spoiled the whole game for me. This thread is for speculation, not ruining your gaming experience. Think before you post.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So the Steve Spirit is fake?

Also, Minecraft could still be DLC even though Vergeben has known about it since May or so; Nintendo isn't just going to wait until the last few weeks to negotiate Minecraft content and everything else for DLC...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Yep, it's fake.
Your intuition was correct: Steve doesn't have a spirit, especially since if he did, it'd have been shown off as soon as possible.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

Banjo Kazooie
Sylux
Rythmn Girl
Porky
Monster Hunter
Adeliene
Tibby
Edelgard
Cross
Travis Touchdown
Crash Bandicoot
Sora
Reimu
Hayabusa
Lloyd Irving
Steve
Style Savvy
Erdrick
Slime
Chrono
Doomguy
Dante
Saber
Bit Trip Runner
Heihachi
Jack Frost

*Cough* We haven't seen Isaac's spirit yet strangely *cough*

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Vergeben has claimed that Minecraft will simply be represented with a boss. He also claims that the 2nd SE character will be the first DLC character released (outside of Piranha Plant).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Vergeben has claimed that Minecraft will simply be represented with a boss. He also claims that the 2nd SE character will be the first DLC character released (outside of Piranha Plant).
I have never been so happy to hear Vergeben.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The problem with that is a Minecraft boss hasn't been found in the datamines to my knowledge.

However, it could be DLC, either with Steve or Banjo-Kazooie. Vergeben didn't deny Steve would be DLC, he still thinks it's possible.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The problem with that is a Minecraft boss hasn't been found in the datamines to my knowledge.

However, it could be DLC, either with Steve or Banjo-Kazooie. Vergeben didn't deny Steve would be DLC, he still thinks it's possible.
Considering Verge hasn't been wrong once. It's only obvious its happening. Anything he says is true at this point.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They could be hiding the boss from base game for now, as revealing that Microsoft is involved would likely spoil future character DLC.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If this ends up being true I'm not buying the dlc regardless of which square char it is. Nothing from square will ever beat my nostalgia for all the unpicked first parties, Crash, and Spyro.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You do know that Vergenen never said that Steve is the DLC right? He's only ever said Minecraft content. Never has he said explicitly that he thinks Steve is the fighter.
I know this, but if we get a boss and a Minecraft stage in multiplayer Smash, then the fighter is most-likely Steve. Vergeben still thinks Steve is possible, as he thought it made sense when hearing it from Hitagi.

However, regarding that Rare's Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini have strings in the code:https://mobile.twitter.com/AltDeltas/status/1066276640324501504?s=19

-we could get Banjo-Kazooie, which would also make me very happy (tbh would choose them over Steve if we can't have both).

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tell that to Monster Hunter.
We could easily get another different Microsoft fighter along with the Minecraft content.
Monster Hunter doesn't have a stage in multiplayer Smash/the normal Smash mode.

And of course, as I mentioned Banjo-Kazooie could get in, in fact Rare titles being found in the code probably raises their chances a little. I'd rather have Spiral Mountain or another B-K stage if we can't have both it and a Minecraft stage, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom