• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I just hope I get to see “-Removed Herobrine” in the Sephiroth patch.

I guess that makes sense, Herobrine sneaking in with Steve so he wouldn’t have been removed then.

Yea, but Jonesy has a bit more character to him than Steve.
Not to say that Steve isn't fun as hell to play with his gimmicky moveset, but he still looks like someone a five year old made with Legos.
Steve still shows character and has plenty of it in some official animations. You don’t need a fully-detailed model with varied shapes to show character.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At the same time, who's to say it won't? Remember that people were sure Pokémon was a fad that would die out in a couple of years.

And to put it into perspective, Pokémon was the same age when it was added to Smash as Fortnite is now. I just think that's a neat fun fact.
You're right, it might. But because it might not, I can't disagree with disputing that a Fortnite character is "a lock", which was the original claim.

Even Steve wasn't a lock.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I really want an Assist Trophy to be upgraded just to break down that barrier.
But since Min Min was picked over Spring Man, I feel like all Assist Trophies were instantly deconfirmed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nah. Death Egg Robot boss. This is the way.
Yeah well my dad can beat up your dad. >:^(

In all seriousness Eggman, to me, is a character that makes sense both as a playable fighter and as a boss, using different machines for each. Kinda like Bowser/Giga Bowser or Ganondorf/Ganon. It just kinda depends on the scale you go for.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
So I got to ask, What you guys Predicting now Post Sephiroth?
I know a lot of people are predicting Monster Hunter because of Rise but I think that's way too straightforward a guess. Even if he/she is "inevitable" it could be later in the pass.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
79: Palicos
80: Crash Bandicoot
81: Impa

That's right I'm going for it. I'm also throwing the risk that Sakurai is gonna surprise us with Palicos which will come with the returning Monster Hunter Mii.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Yeah well my dad can beat up your dad. >:^(

In all seriousness Eggman, to me, is a character that makes sense both as a playable fighter and as a boss, using different machines for each. Kinda like Bowser/Giga Bowser or Ganondorf/Ganon. It just kinda depends on the scale you go for.
Now if only we can get a Masked Dedede boss.

Shroob

Sup?
I know a lot of people are predicting Monster Hunter because of Rise but I think that's way too straightforward a guess. Even if he/she is "inevitable" it could be later in the pass.
Personally, I feel like if there'd ever be a Monster Hunter character, it'd drop in March, since that's when the next wave of Amiibo drop, and conveniently Rise as well.

If they don't come, then at the very least, I'd expect the Mii costumes to show up in March.

Faso115

Smash Lord
So what's up with Cloud's new Final Smash? Is it like a skin specific thing or a complete overhaul?

In any case, i expect the direct to go over it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So one thing I really want to know is...was Verg right when he said Ryu Hayabusa was talked about, or at least Koei Tecmo crossing over into Smash, at some point?

I know I keep harping on this character, however if we really are looking at a lineup that was decided even before Fighter Pass 1 started, I think there are actually quite a few implications for who the last 3 are.

I don’t think folks would like those implications, but we can’t really come to that conclusion unless we know of other characters.

The thing with Hayabusa is that IAmShifty reported the same thing, that they had heard Hayabusa. Now, the dude has been in a multitude of fake leaks so it’s entirely plausible they got baited...however I think it may be a good idea not to count him out.

Thoughts?
I think after Steve an idea was put out that some fighters for FP2 were missed chances, but others were added after it became apparent the post-FP1 DLC wasn't just a couple scattered packs here and there.

Steve, we know for sure was planned a while ago. Min Min, I'm not sure about. Maybe Nintendo was testing the waters to see if ARMS still had demand? I'm not sure. I can buy the theory that Sephiroth came out of the deal for Cloud, but like Min Min, that's just theories.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I think the difference between Eggman and Wily is that you actually could play as Eggman in a mainline Sonic game (Sonic Adventure 2). And a good majority of the spinoffs, too. It's enough for me to want him as a playable character. ...Not that I'd complain if we got Dr. Wily...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I dunno man. I've never seen Eggman fight on foot in the core Sonic games.

It's be like getting in a fistfight with Wily, or Andross. It just don't feel right.

I think the difference between Eggman and Wily is that you actually could play as Eggman in a mainline Sonic game (Sonic Adventure 2).
Yeah, but even then, he drives a mech.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If a character works as playable without any great compromise and is so integral to the series as to be the main antagonist, preferring them as a boss seems pretty transparent code for just not wanting them playable.

It's one thing if it's boss or nothing, or if they just wouldn't work well as playable - but we don't even have a boss rush mode. Like sometimes I forget Dracula's even in the game, I'll be honest.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Personally, I feel like if there'd ever be a Monster Hunter character, it'd drop in March, since that's when the next wave of Amiibo drop, and conveniently Rise as well.

If they don't come, then at the very least, I'd expect the Mii costumes to show up in March.
But has a character ever come out right when thier promotional tie in game has?

Even the most transarent shilliest character in Smash history Corrin came out months before the English release of Fates.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I dunno man. I've never seen Eggman fight on foot in the core Sonic games.

It's be like getting in a fistfight with Wily, or Andross. It just don't feel right.
I mean, I think the idea is that he'd be in the Egg Mobile, or possibly his walker from SA2. I don't think people are actually picturing him walking around with, like, a gun or something.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I've said it before, but I think what we need to do is notice traits about the recently announced fighter, and figure out what traits the next fighter WON'T have. Steve is a third party whose game is the best selling one of all time, as opposed to just selling enough, while Sephiroth is from a game from the 90s that was already given a fighter.
To Be Honest, Besides looking at Hypothetical Moveset Traits for other characters, I find it kind of Hard to do this since Steve and Sephiroth do cover a Very Wide Area

with that said, We There are potential Audiences, Benefits not covered yet

-Visual Novels, Horror, and I guess FPS, but Inkling might cover a little of that crowd. Perhaps not too much though. there's also New audiences even within Genre's already Represented in Smash too.

-Steve might be looked at as a Indie character by Nintendo and Sakurai, because of the Copyright related to Steve. However it's also possible that despite that, they See Steve as more diverged from Indie and more as like a AAA title. I Know alot of People don't see Steve as a Indie Characer

If this is true, they might want a character that feels more in line with the Indie Audiences. Indie Titles have been important for Nintendo since like the Wii U and 3DS Era. Putting in a Indie Character might benefit Nintendo in the Long run, since it will give more reasons for Indie creators to put their games on Switch, because Nintendo opens the door for Indie characters to get into a Game that allows you alot of Exposure and such like that

-There's also Company Relation Benefits that can be attained. Whether it be a Company like Spike Chunsoft, so they could be more Inclined to put Danganropa on Switch and Appeal to the Adevnture, Visual Novel style games, or Perhaps Something like EA, because EA has stuff like Madden and Fifa which sells like Hotcakes,

-It also goes the other way with saying thank you to Companies that have been with you for the longest, like Koei or Monolioth (even though Nintendo owns them)

-and there's like a Mix of these two, like the Relation with Cygames and such, and how they helped make Dragalia Lost, a New (Co-Owned) Nintendo I.P, but they are also kind of distant from Actual Nintendo Consoles

-I guess there's also that Character Pick that has Smash Request appeal like with Ridley, K.Rool, and Banjo. Steve could perhaps be considered very requested character, Especially Ultimate since unlike the Period during Smash 4, Even some of the more Hardcore fans were requesting Him, Sephiroth was also very Requested in Japan.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I mean, you can have a character be both playable and be a boss. I don't see people complaining about Bowser or Ganon for example.

So if the dev team were perfectly able to add a new boss, it's possibly Sephiroth could have his regular form be playable and the final boss be a boss character, even if it would take a lot of effort to get it right.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So I got to ask, What you guys Predicting now Post Sephiroth?
I'm still high on Ryu hayabusa and crash bandicoot at this point

but for new possibilities believe It or not eggman just like pac-man in smash 4 when He was the final most iconic video game hero with sephiroth removing the only barriers left now we can say eggman is the last iconic video villain not playable in smash

osby

Smash Obsessed
So what's up with Cloud's new Final Smash? Is it like a skin specific thing or a complete overhaul?

In any case, i expect the direct to go over it.
I predict that it's Sephiroth-specific version of his regular FS.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace

20 days ago I talked about how cool would be to see Sephiroth.

Maybe I’m an insider ?? j/k

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If a character works as playable without any great compromise and is so integral to the series as to be the main antagonist, preferring them as a boss seems pretty transparent code for just not wanting them playable.
Well that's not my intention, so don't put ****ing words in my mouth.

I agree Eggman is probably the most iconic villain not in Smash now. I just think he makes more sense as a boss. Just like Porky, Wily, Andross, Mother Brain, etc. And that's all there is to it.

I'm not "trying to get him to take a lesser role, so he doesn't take a playable slot." Mainly because I don't considered a boss to BE a lesser role to a PC. They take at least as many development resources. Some characters just fit one role better than the other.

The guy who always fights in a large robot/vehical? Yeah, that guy is boss material.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
But has a character ever come out right when thier promotional tie in game has?

Even the most transarent shilliest character in Smash history Corrin came out months before the English release of Fates.
Hero came out like, 2 months before 11s dropped worldwide, and we all know how hard Nintendo was pushing that game.

Regardless, like I said, even if the March character, because let's not kid ourselves, there's a wave of Amiibo coming then, and that means character, I, at the very least, would expect the 2 costumes there if they're not MH, that's just basic promotion.

Powerman293

Smash Ace

20 days ago I talked about how cool would be to see Sephiroth.

Maybe I’m an insider ?? j/k
How are you feeling about it dude?

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I think Jonesy is a lock eventually. Maybe not for this Pass, but definitely some time between now and the final DLC of Smash 7.
I don't think we're getting more DLC past this pass, sad to say. Most likely these next 3 will be our last until the next Smash title.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Oh cool, we discussing Wily?
Obvs answer is to put him in the Mega Man Soccer outfit and build his moveset around summoning various Robot Masters as mini-assists a la Captain Ginyu in FighterZ.
Or a Wily Capsule, either/or.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

It's one thing if it's boss or nothing, or if they just wouldn't work well as playable - but we don't even have a boss rush mode. Like sometimes I forget Dracula's even in the game, I'll be honest.
I just want a Boss Rush mode. They're all neat and interesting options to fight. You have the stages. It just needs to be literally coded/put together.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Oh cool, we discussing Wily?
Obvs answer is to put him in the Mega Man Soccer outfit and build his moveset around summoning various Robot Masters as mini-assists a la Captain Ginyu in FighterZ.
Or a Wily Capsule, either/or.
I'd prefer him in his Assist Trophy robot (7).
And a cool Easter Egg would be if you KO him, he falls out of his mech and does the begging for mercy pose before respawning.
Also, instead of clapping after losing a battle, he could beg for mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom