• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
you know after the discussion of geoff keighley's whoa tweet, I can Imagine a bait and switch, if at The Game Awards, we were all expecting Crash to be the next smash character but turns to be a playable character in the newly announce Playstation All-Stars 2.
Okay, but then who's the Smash Bros reveal for?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Now that I think about it......we keep looking at some of the posts and keep thinking some people are being a bit too obvious about Fortnite, right? One of the recent other subjects we were talking about is Samus in Fortnite, right? And what was one of the things that set that off? Kratos and Master Chief being leaked and Kratos being available on the Switch version of Fortnite. And we recently got a Fortnite post talking about the next Bounty Hunter. Has Master Chief been released for Fortnite yet?

I'm just saying, what if the reason some posts are being obvious with Fortnite is because they are talking about Samus being in Fortnite or it might not be Jonesy, but Master Chief getting a double reveal of being in both Fortnite and Smash Bros?

Hey, some of the people tweeting are only giving so much. Like how are we supposed to know if it's a semi-fake out or it's straightforward? Like I don't know whether it is going to be Jonesy or a different character. Like right now, speculating about the different characters feels more fun than just assuming it's obviously Jonesy. But until the character is revealed, we don't know whether or not it's as obvious as it seems.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Lol imagine a Crash reveal "crashes" the stream. The tagline's all like "Crash crashes the stream!" and then the livestream goes offline.
I mean, if that means we can get Meta Runner via technicality...
...I hope that doesn't mean we can also get Sword Art Online and Tron by that technicality.
I beg your pardon?

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior | Page 894 | Smashboards
Chrom costume | Super Smash Brothers | Know Your Meme
Do you think Characters with Mii-Costumes have better chances of getting in  now? - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Isabelle Mii Gunner Costume + Hat joins the battle in Super Smash Bros. DLC  today! - Animal Crossing World
Those are all First/Second-party and base game.

So, random thought. What characters out there are bounty hunters that could have a shot for Smash (and Fortnite I guess)? Not because I believe we will get one necessarily, but for a thought experiment.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If they were planning on Jonesy at TGA I really feel like Steve would've been a little later in the pass. Maybe the penultimate challenger pack. Come on now, surely they'd know what a bad taste the back-to-back nature of a reveal like that would leave in people's mouths. And I like Steve being in Smash.
Especially given that Nintendo themselves are in hot water right now with the Smash fanbase. I think that this reveal is partially intended to win them back, and I don't think that Jonesy would do that.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If they were planning on Jonesy at TGA I really feel like Steve would've been a little later in the pass. Maybe the penultimate challenger pack. Come on now, surely they'd know what a bad taste the back-to-back nature of a reveal like that would leave in people's mouths. And I like Steve being in Smash.
But I heard the salt is delicious this time of the year

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Especially given that Nintendo themselves are in hot water right now with the Smash fanbase. I think that this reveal is partially intended to win them back, and I don't think that Jonesy would do that.
Ehh, they probably had this TGA reveal all sorted out well before they started getting this (very well-deserved) backlash.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Those are all First/Second-party and base game.
Pretty sure 3/4 of those were DLC Mii Costumes in the previous game. Besides, the Lloyd costume isn't in Ultimate at all, so there's nothing saying he can't be added here. I really don't think a Mii Costume from a previous game would stop a character from getting added. Heck, they could even add both Lloyd and his Mii Costume assuming there wouldn't be any work in porting the costume.

What? You said you wanted some more? Have some more!
These are incredibly tame compared to the horrors that are the first Splatoon Miinklings.

EDIT: Calmii and Miirie actually look nice.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If Jonesy is revealed I'm going to start thinking that the pass is just going to be all 2010s characters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It is really strange that people are apprehensive instead of hyped.

I get it. Jonesy doesn't appeal to me either but... wow.

I thought people would be more excited overall.
It's like the dinosaurs and the K-T extinction meteor. The announcement for the reveal came at a point where Jonesy was the resident hot topic. Had it come just a bit sooner or just a bit later, when Jonesy was only in the back of our minds-If at all-I don't think there would be so much pessimism.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Fortnite mainly appeals to younger gamers, while TGA is mostly for the older crowd. It would be weird to announce a pick that appeals mainly to kids and teens at an event where most of your audience is adults.
Name one place where they could reveal a character that kids would be watching live. I doubt many kids are watching E3 but not TGA. And they certainly aren't tuning in to Nintendo Directs (unless they're me and want to justify buying a Wii U to their friends).
Steve appeals to everyone. Minecraft is the literal best selling game of all time.
Not to me it doesn't.
you know after the discussion of geoff keighley's whoa tweet, I can Imagine a bait and switch, if at The Game Awards, we were all expecting Crash to be the next smash character but turns to be a playable character in the newly announce Playstation All-Stars 2.
I'd take that gladly
Okay, but then who's the Smash Bros reveal for?
In a twist of irony, Kratos is announced to be in Smash but not Playstation All-Stars 2.

A Sony representative says: "We were going to add him but then we got a cease & desist from Nintendo..."

Ivander

Smash Legend

I feel most of it is because we haven't seen how he would play. Like I clearly remember most of us were apprehensive about Steve until we actually saw him in action and gameplay.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
I feel most of it is because we haven't seen how he would play. Like I clearly remember most of us were apprehensive about Steve until we actually saw him in action and gameplay.
I'd say most people weren't against Minecraft or thought it didn't "deserve" to be in though. People just didn't like Steve as a character.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
But revealing Jonesy would make everything worse.
...and?

People will complain and still buy him. Just like how people complained about every DLC fighter

I'm not appealed to either Minecraft or Fortnite. After Steve's reveal, my mind is open for the possibility of Fortnite being in Smash as a cash cow and want to take advantage of its popularity. So if it happens, it is what it is.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think another factor at work is after getting a couple of characters that were popular in their way but not as much with the hardcore Smash fanbase a lot of people are apprehensive about getting another one that doesn't really appeal to them. Jonesy is the worst case scenario in that regard, something that would be the cherry on top of the very mixed 2020 sundae. I don't believe he's likely but ever since Byleth I've noticed a certain some have gradually not let themselves get too hyped, lest they be that disappointed again.

While I've played as Min Min and Steve at a friend's house, I haven't bought the second fighter's pass and who shows up tonight will be playing a big part in if that changes. If its the likes of Jonesy, then I'll guess I'll be waiting even longer.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
My gut tells me Crash but like - It could be almost anybody, it really could. What's funny is that even if it is somehow Jonesy - I'd... probably warm up to him after a while? Smash tends to do that to me - Disappointment is usually something I eventually snap out of due to... what? I don't know. But give me enough time and I've convinced myself I like it.

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
A second positive thing about Jonesy being in, is that the pass might make so much money that making a third pass is too good to pass up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom