• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
time for a fun game. Click this link, whatever you get will be the next DLC fighter
DONKEY KONG HOCKEY
HYYYYYYYYYYYPE

Teeb147

Smash Legend
time for a fun game. Click this link, whatever you get will be the next DLC fighter
Lithopod Family from pikmin :O

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Oh no I got a Fire Emblem character.

Muirne.png

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Dayzee Syrup. Not the Mario RPG rep anyone wants, to be honest.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I got Seel. Our next Pokemon rep baby!

SKX31

Smash Master
Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wow I didn’t actually think I would get so many genuine responses to that question.

I mainly wanted to stir the pot by saying Coke was my favorite:mybodyisreggie:

But did the essay reeling work again? ...I think I’m 2-0 BAYBEEEEEE!

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Iris Archwell from Monster Manor.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I got the entire list of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection games

Which of course means that it's the Nintendo Wi-Fi logo with a composite moveset featuring every single one of the following games:
https://nintendo.fandom.com/
https://www.fandom.com/signin?redirect=https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Wi-Fi_Connection_games

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, when comparing the base roster characters to all of the DLC fighters which were new to their respective Smash Bros. entries, there's clearly a pattern with how everything's structured.
To the point that, ironically, some of the most popular 1st Party requests have less of an opportunity than not-so-popular 3rd Party requests to join the battle in a Nintendo fighting game at this point.

Base roster picks have proven to be quite flexible, presenting a clear emphasis on including popular and/or iconic Nintendo characters no matter their current status within their respective Nintendo properties. Therefore, there typically isn't as much of a focus on 3rd Party characters in general at the time.

DLC picks on the other hand have proven to be more selective, presenting a defined emphasis on including characters only if they bring something new to the table. 3rd Party characters can pull this off easily, which is probably why they're favored during this time. Granted, Sm4sh's DLC was as unorthodox as it could get, since it began by dishing out characters who were already in Smash before. However, the last few picks (Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta) satisfied this hidden quota for DLC characters moving forward.

Therefore, I believe that we certainly won't see them pulling Bandana Dee, Waluigi, or Dixie Kong out of a hat for no particular reason at all.
Heck, I don't even think popularity has anything to do with it, at least more than satisfying this particular quota of bringing something new to Smash.
Fire Emblem is pretty lucky since it has a rotating cast with new protagonists for each entry, because this provides a perfect opportunity to pick someone fresh and new from that series for the roster during the DLC period. Min Min had the benefit of being a Nintendo IP which hadn't been properly represented in Smash before the DLC period began. Not to mention that ARMS came out before Ultimate, unlike Splatoon and Sm4sh, so everything worked in the Smash Team's favor. But most importantly, the quota was fulfilled.

The same can't easily be said for those other three characters I mentioned (or certain other 1st Party requests), unless there is something from their own respective franchises of which they themselves could promote. Which might sound easy at first until you look back at how Fire Emblem, a franchise already represented in Smash, brought even more representation into Smash through DLC: It was fresh, it was specific, and the character had a starring role within that specific game.

Let's compare this logic to my most wanted 1st party character (and most wanted in general), Bandana Waddle Dee.

The latest core entry in the Kirby franchise thus far was Kirby Star Allies. Could he use that as a ticket into Smash? Let's see...
Is the game in question fresh? Compared to even Three Houses, not exactly.
Is the game in question specific? Yep, it wouldn't be promotion in the form of a range of games.
Does the character have a starring role? It's debatable, since Kirby was clearly shown as the main protagonist from the start of the game's first cutscene.
Additionally, there is at least one music track from the game which is currently in Ultimate, so there's already representation for the game beyond Spirits.
Therefore, this wouldn't be a good base for Bandana Dee to stand on and thus he wouldn't fulfill the quota.

The solution for characters like Bandana Dee would be to hope that a fresh, new game for their respective franchise comes along during the DLC period, of which they also star in as a main playable character. (Oh yeah, the emphasis on DLC protagonists also convinces me that there won't be any villains in any Fighter Pass, unless they're somehow main playable characters who stack up to the main protagonist, but that's another topic).

Anyway, if anyone wants to dissect any particular point(s) and have a little chat, feel free. Otherwise, I just wanted to place my thoughts on the debate between 1st and 3rd Party character.
You definitely nailed it on the head with your base game vs DLC comparison. I sort of feel that Nintendo saves characters like Ridley/K Rool or BanDee/Dixie for the base game. They’re characters that are easy to implement that Nintendo will always have access to & will hype the Smash/Nintendo loyalists up for the new game.

I still think we’re in for another Nintendo character. But I imagine it’ll be a Switch era character. The Switch’s library has been so fantastic that I’m down for giving it even more love.

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
Okay I got to ask

If we don't get a Smash reveal at TGA's, but we do get one This Month, How would that change your Predictions for FP8?
FP8 at TGA's = Big and known third party name/promotion: Crash, Dante, Sora, Doom, Fortnite...

FP8 in a random presentation = First party (Rex/Isaac/Pokemon/Dixie, etc) or a third party more unknown for casual public (Arle, Geno...)

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Takayuki Mogami, an Oboist who did music for Mario, Zelda, and Octopath.

Welp.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So remind me again when TGA starts? Tomorrow or the 11th?
It’s already over. You missed the disconfirmation of Pepsiman, resulting in my sudden betrayal to preferring Coke and other Coca-Cola products.

I also stan Coke Bear now.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Oh.
(Dragalia Lost)
Oh...?
Would result in a lot of "very close but still wrong" predictions in this thread.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
FE7_Heath.png

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Untitled.png

oh ok then i guess

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Now that I think about it actually, if there is a Smash pick and folks know about it, it seems we’re closing in on that time when it might start to be hinted at.

I’m not expecting a reveal but I think you may want to keep an eye out if you’re not looking to get spoiled!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Imagine drinking anything but water.

This isn't a joke
Ah yes. All other drinks are inherently unhealthy and must never ever be consumed.

So says the internet.

Not a jab at you specifically, I'm just annoyed with what's readily accessible about fitness in general.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!
1607557841690.png

Or, ya'know. Just go into Overdrive for about 8 minutes.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
i got Pac-Man. he's for sure a gaming icon, it would be nice if Nintendo added him to Smash. even the render I got looks like from Smash

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Fairy Ocarina

...so would this be Link 4 or Zelda 2?

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen(Fatal frame IV)
1607562517365.png

Very good actually

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Number one hope for the Game Awards is that it has better game announcements than last year. I don't think there was a single world premiere that blew me out of my seat last year.
I'm not going to stare at the CSS yet because there's not enough Banjos in Smash.

So I'll want a certain song by Banjo Paterson. Namely Australia's national anthem.

:4pacman:
I sometimes forget just how much Civ can rely on stereotypes.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Now that I think about it actually, if there is a Smash pick and folks know about it, it seems we’re closing in on that time when it might start to be hinted at.

I’m not expecting a reveal but I think you may want to keep an eye out if you’re not looking to get spoiled!
It'll probably crop up around tomorrow morning if there is something. If there isn't any word from people by late tomorrow morning, I'm throwing out the idea of a reveal, personally.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

...I'm okay with this. The more pirates and undead the better~

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

The only way we'll know is the same guy leaking it at the exact last minute as with Steve.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Trevenant

Plant Gang

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom