• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'd be more interested in Nintendo World if they made an effort to include more diverse IPs. From what I've seen it's entirely Mario and a tiny bit of DK to start with. I'm not saying treat sub-billion sellers as equal to household names. But easter eggs and references would go a long way. Things like Pikmin holding up a trash can or a bench, various weapon props on display like at previous Smash showcases.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon (assuming it's on the table, and I assume it is due to early planning) would be my bare minimum definition of a "complete" Super Nintendo World. Oh, and I'm talking about a decent amount of space being set aside for these areas, not just a tiny shop or one small ride that's stuck in the Mario section.

Ideally though, they'd expand into stuff like Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon as well. If they can cover those five along with the other three I brought up, anything else would feel like a bonus.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wait, Hayabusa and Crash have backlash? Most of what I’ve seen has been pretty enthusiastic in terms of them...
Not so much to outweigh the positivity, but it seems like whenever people criticize the repetitiveness of the thread it's always those two. They're the "boring, overrated milquetoast" picks, according to some.
With me and Crash, it's not just "ugh, everyone is predicting him, so boring". I just don't see them going from Min Min's rule breaking moveset and Steve's dependency on having to edit the code of every single stage to something that'd be much more straightforward. You could say "well maybe Sakurai wants to take a break from these kinds of movesets", but remember, he's a workaholic man in a workaholic land.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Wait, Hayabusa and Crash have backlash? Most of what I’ve seen has been pretty enthusiastic in terms of them...
I have my own reason why I hate Hayabusa, case in point, he's a leak character. If it weren't for that something something Sigma Trilogy he wouldn't have been brought up, same goes for him back in Smash 4 and wouldn't make people go "Oh yeah, Hayabusa... I thought he is a Dead or Alive character :p"

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
And here I thought my fighter pass prediction I made in January was on the more creative side...
Challenger Pack 10: Skyrim.

Like, you pick it from the CSS and it just boots Skyrim from inside Smash.

Lifesize Bionis and Mechonis would be pog as **** let's gooo
I just want a count of how many times the word "Monado" would be used in the park. :4pacman:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd be more interested in Nintendo World if they made an effort to include more diverse IPs. From what I've seen it's entirely Mario and a tiny bit of DK to start with. I'm not saying treat sub-billion sellers as equal to household names. But easter eggs and references would go a long way. Things like Pikmin holding up a trash can or a bench, various weapon props on display like at previous Smash showcases.
I recall some promo material for the park (a poster or something) having Pikmin in them, so something Pikmin-related could well be on the way (or already there).

With me and Crash, it's not just "ugh, everyone is predicting him, so boring". I just don't see them going from Min Min's rule breaking moveset and Steve's dependency on having to edit the code of every single stage to something that'd be much more straightforward. You could say "well maybe Sakurai wants to take a break from these kinds of movesets", but remember, he's a workaholic man in a workaholic land.
I personally could see Crash being the "Banjo" of FP2: a western fan favorite with a pretty basic/straight-forward moveset. I think it would be hard to keep every character equally "gimmicky" anyway, though I guess it's not impossible.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
By that logic, we wouldn't of gotten Banjo, then. Nothing wrong with having a more simple straightforward moveset amongst a sea of gimmicky ones.

Also remember that Nintendo is picking the characters here, not Sakurai. And I don't think they're selecting chaarcters based purely on how gimmicky their moveset in Smash can be.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Can't blame people for Speculating on the Same Characters, The characters usually have alot of good reasons to get Speculated

But Personally I don't think alot of Speculators, at least on youtube use those reasons alot of the time. Usually they just say the characters are "Popular", "Iconic", "They Need to Complete the Roster", and call it a day

There's alot of characters that could be said for. At least with Ryu they mention the Rumors about him though

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
By that logic, we wouldn't of gotten Banjo, then. Nothing wrong with having a more simple straightforward moveset amongst a sea of gimmicky ones.

Also remember that Nintendo is picking the characters here, not Sakurai. And I don't think they're selecting chaarcters based purely on how gimmicky their moveset in Smash can be.
Same here, and I expect Steve to be the limit for how gimmicky a character can be.
I Can't blame people for Speculating on the Same Characters, The characters usually have alot of good reasons to get Speculated

But Personally I don't think alot of Speculators, at least on youtube use those reasons alot of the time. Usually they just say the characters are "Popular", "Iconic", "They Need to Complete the Roster", and call it a day

There's alot of characters that could be said for. At least with Ryu they mention the Rumors about him though
Yeah. That's what bums me out about this.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For me I wouldn't mind Crash in Smash, but I don't really like him. First, I think his design is extremely ugly. Really, I just hate looking at him. To be fair I think the Crash 4 design is way better than the Trilogy design with the monobrow... Apparently people hated the Crash 4 design? Not sure why. Also I played the trilogy and the racing game. While the racing game is amazing, I think the trilogy games are mediocre at best. They're really just boring games with bad level design idea, even for ps1 game. Apparently Crash 4 sales are prety low compare to the trilogy, which makes me think that people only like him for nostalgia more than because his games are actually good or other reason.

At the very least if he had a great moveset potential I wouldn't mind all those points. But really I just don't see it. Maybe if he's in and they do something great with him I will change my mind, but for now I just can't like him.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
that logic, we wouldn't of gotten Banjo, then. Nothing wrong with having a more simple straightforward moveset amongst a sea of gimmicky ones
The difference is that FP2 seems to be going for even crazier movesets than what we've gotten in 1. Hero is the only FP1 character who'd really blend in with Min Min and Steve due to all the random spells that could pop up in the command menu.
Sakurai has to see if he can make a unique fighter out of a character choice before it is finalized.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
the less gimmicky your character gets will be the least rememberable out of the cast, you glad that Banjo is highly requested or else he will be easily forgotten among the sea of gimmick character even lower than Byleth. I seriously forget that Banjo even existed more so than Byleth, not because he is the most hated but because I don't give a DAMN about highly requested character tho I still hear the valid reasoning about them excluding Geno of course since I'm tired of hearing the same thing about him time and time again.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy gimmickless character but for me I can't even tell they're existed in the first place once the next row of character had a very interesting things up their sleeves. Okay, imagine that Toy Story scene of Andy dropping Woody to the ground because he don't want to play with him anymore, that's me!

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The difference is that FP2 seems to be going for even crazier movesets than what we've gotten in 1. Hero is the only FP1 character who'd really blend in with Min Min and Steve due to all the random spells that could pop up in the command menu.
I'm sorry, but aren't you the guy who gets mad at us for going by patterns and assuming the rest of the past will mostly just be popular third parties with maybe a cameo from Pokemon? And now you yourself are going by patterns by assuming the rest of the pass will be super crazy gimmick fighters, just because of Min Min and Steve.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So How many of you guys still believe in Voice Theory?
2/10 just because a lot of people think uncreatively on how that theory can be solved by having 2-in-1 character when they don't really need one (Lloyd with his girlfriend or whatever) or just a having a different gender variation for an odd character (Coco as Crash's alt??????? like wtf!)

I mean that just scream 'desperate'

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm sorry, but aren't you the guy who gets mad at us for going by patterns and assuming the rest of the past will mostly just be popular third parties with maybe a cameo from Pokemon?
That pattern is ignoring the fact that we've gotten smaller third-parties and a first-party that wasn't the newest of the new. You've had to make excuses like "well terry is secretly the most well known video game character...in this one mexican town" and "well min min still debuted on the switch" to justify not moving on.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I say so yeah but I dont wanna talk about Lloyd, I just wanna focus on Yuri and why he would be cool
If Yuri did get into Smash, what Weapons would he focus on, and how much of a blend would he have between swordplay and hand to hand (Since i hear Yuri uses a mix)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
o
If Yuri did get into Smash, what Weapons would he focus on, and how much of a blend would he have between swordplay and hand to hand (Since i hear Yuri uses a mix)
Well. since swords are the most common weapon, Im sure Sakurai would just stick to that. Maybe his jabs can be the hand to hand attacks while the heavy attacks could be his sword. Yuri also has a move people use in combos to get an enemy back on their feet to hit them again but I feel tbat would be a bit unfair

7NATOR

Smash Master
o

Well. since swords are the most common weapon, Im sure Sakurai would just stick to that. Maybe his jabs can be the hand to hand attacks while the heavy attacks could be his sword. Yuri also has a move people use in combos to get an enemy back on their feet to hit them again but I feel tbat would be a bit unfair
you mean like a Restand? I don't think we have any moves like that in Smash

Would Yuri use his Axe at all though?

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Yuri has a lot of cool artes that I think would make for interesting movement options in Smash. He has so many flashy acrobatic moves that even basic combos would look sick. Some Artes that I think could be cool as specials:
  • Destruction Field: Yuri lunges forward, doing a little flip and smashing his weapon into the ground. It reminds me a bit of Sheik's Bouncing Fish kick, but up the power and don't make it bounce of enemies. Also make it spike in the air thanks
  • Ghost Wolf: Yuri does a quick charge forward, and if he lands the first hit he teleports behind the opponent and does a finishing slash. This one would be interesting because of how it changes positioning -- if you're closer to the ledge than your opponent and you land a Ghost Wolf, your positioning becomes reversed.
  • Combination Artes: Yuri has a lot of advanced artes that are combinations or continuations off of his base artes, and that makes me think it could translate to Smash as a continuation mechanic -- for example, say you land a Shining Fang, and while Yuri's twiring his sword around you press B again, then he'd follow up by turning the arte into Shining Fang Drop.

There's also the whole Fatal Strike mechanic, although I haven't thought through how that could be brought over to Smash. Bottom line is there's a lot of potential with Tales reps in general and Yuri's kit in particular.

also make repede appear in one of the taunts plz
i want to see the doggo

7NATOR

Smash Master
Me me me I do

it’s how my Veemo/Oomi babies can still win
Can I Interest you in Franchise Theory?

I don't have a picture of it, but if you look in the Sounds Menu for the Music from all the franchises in the game, You'll see there's only Two slots left before it forms a Perfect CSS, like the same deal with Voice Theory and there being 5 slots left

This Implies that 2 of the DLC Characters would be from Represented Franchises.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I don't have a picture of it, but if you look in the Sounds Menu for the Music from all the franchises in the game, You'll see there's only Two slots left before it forms a Perfect CSS, like the same deal with Voice Theory and there being 5 slots left

ELMA AND BLACK SHADOW TOO LET’S ****ING GOOOOOOOO

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
you mean like a Restand? I don't think we have any moves like that in Smash

Would Yuri use his Axe at all though?
Maybe he could have a mechanic that. has him switch weapons like Byleth but in Yuris case, it stays on him till he switches it out. It would be fun to see a gient axe flying around the screen at all times lol

D

Deleted member

I'll invest in that theory if we can get precedent for it normally being perfectly CSS shaped.

How did Smash Wii U, Brawl, Melee, and 64's Sound menu look? Did they all end up being a perfect shape in the end?

Do you honestly think that upon setting out to add DLC, they would look at a sub menu rarely viewed and keep something that minor in mind?

If there's no precedence before, then trying to create a theory now based on it is kinda meaningless. It'd be like pointing out that 2 more franchises would make the total new franchises divisible by a certain number. Theories whipped up from the ether and based on nothing are more desperate than interesting.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'll invest in that theory if we can get precedent for it normally being perfectly CSS shaped.

How did Smash Wii U, Brawl, Melee, and 64's Sound menu look? Did they all end up being a perfect shape in the end?

Do you honestly think that upon setting out to add DLC, they would look at a sub menu rarely viewed and keep something that minor in mind?

If there's no precedence before, then trying to create a theory now based on it is kinda meaningless. It'd be like pointing out that 2 more franchises would make the total new franchises divisible by a certain number. Theories whipped up from the ether and based on nothing are more desperate than interesting.
Yeah. I don't think that they would care about the Sound Test menu being a perfect square when it wasn't in the base game, and it wasn't with FP1.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I can't imagine how many countless acres upon acres they'd have to expand Nintendo World to before they added a Xenoblade attraction. :laugh:

It'll be right between the Kid Icarus and Earthbound rides.
Xenoblade nothing, imagine how many acres they'd have to expand before adding any of the Nintendo IPs that don't even have playable representation in Smash currently like Golden Sun or Rhythm Heaven. We'll probably see that at the turn of the century.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom