• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Question: how do you post gifs here on :smashboards: excluding gifs from Gifpy?
Click the picture icon next to the emoticons and go to "by URL." Find a gif you want, right click and press "copy link location." Then paste the link.

I have absolutely no knowledge on Bioshock, but this guys looks pretty interesting, design-wise. I'm already interested in the moveset potential.
Bioshock is an absolutely incredible game. I haven't played the other games in the series yet, but the first one is a thriller FPS. You play as Jack, whose plane crash lands near the underwater city of Rapture. 1% of the characters you come across are sane. Everyone else is so addicted to the drug ADAM that they've become insane and hostile. ADAM gives you superpowers basically and aside from shooting, you can use these abilities to do lots of things like light people on fire or levitate objects with telekinesis.

Sorry to completely nerd out on you. A good friend of mine recently got me the remastered collection for the Switch so I've been playing it a lot.

The games are made by 2K, who you may know from Borderlands. They're similar in the sense that Bioshock is a looting game where you get items from searching cabinets and chests. If you ever get the chance to play, I'd highly recommend it!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Name two characters that you'd like to see in Smash Ultimate that aren't a part of your "most wanteds".
Cash Banooca and Doombert.

I don't like Crash's games but respect his legacy and he definitely should've been in yesterday.

I haven't even played Doom and I don't like FPS games period but the idea is hilarious to me for some reason. And also he's the godfather of his genre so he fits the bill too.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Name two characters that you'd like to see in Smash Ultimate that aren't a part of your "most wanteds". For me, I can name Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown and Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney.
Bull Shark from Maneater and the Monster from Carrion.
(Would make pretty good unexpected fighters)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Lets keep anything touched by Randy Pitchford far away from smash
As much as I get not wanting to support a terrible person, I don't really like the idea that a character shouldn't be allowed in Super Smash Bros. because their creator's a butthead. So long as a character could be added without also adding the problematic views or deeds of the creator, I personally think they should be fair game.

Name two characters that you'd like to see in Smash Ultimate that aren't a part of your "most wanteds".
Um...I don't really have that many characters that I actively want, so that pretty much makes any character I want part of my most wanteds.

While I'm not rooting for them, I think characters like Ori, Shovel Knight, and Waluigi would put a smile on my face, as would a few characters from my childhood that nobody ever mentions because why would they.

I also think Rex & Pyra/Mythra should get in, but their fate was sealed before any of the passes began.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It would be easier for me to believe this if the people pushing this idea aren't people who'd want Rex out of the way.
Hard feelings toward him or not, they are right. To deny that would be to treat his costume differently than the others, and I don't think that makes sense, especially since the differences between Rex's costume and other DLC costumes makes Rex's costume an even harder disconfirm.

I'd love to see him, and I think he should be in, but he's just not happening.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hard feelings toward him or not, they are right. To deny that would be to treat his costume differently than the others, and I don't think that makes sense, especially since the differences between Rex's costume and other DLC costumes makes Rex's costume an even harder disconfirm.

I'd love to see him, and I think he should be in, but he's just not happening.
Yes, I am going to treat that costume differently. It was already finished before they got to work on any of the FP1 characters. Its inclusion in FP1 was probably an arbitrary decision and not some plan to screw over Rex eternally.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What do you mean? We already have that costume
View attachment 292425
Holy crap, I never realized the Business Suit Gunner was a briefcase. I thought it was a weird boxy handgun.

I guess Geno and Sora? I don't really care about them, but I'd love for their fanbases to STFU.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes, I am going to treat that costume differently. It was already finished before they got to work on any of the FP1 characters. Its inclusion in FP1 was probably an arbitrary decision and not some plan to screw over Rex eternally.
It wasn't arbitrary. That's not how they do things. It was meant to be a purchase incentive for the first pass from the time they started work on it. The reason why it was finished so early was because it needed to be available at the same time as the pass itself, which was available before any of the characters were even revealed. It's just as much, if not more of a disconfirmation than the other DLC costumes are for their respective characters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It wasn't arbitrary. That's not how they do things. It was meant to be a purchase incentive for the first pass from the time they started work on it. The reason why it was finished so early was because it needed to be available at the same time as the pass itself, which was available before any of the characters were even revealed. It's just as much, if not more of a disconfirmation than the other DLC costumes are for their respective characters.
I'm kind of done with debating on Rex. We'll never find out if Rex is truly screwed until either he gets announced or the pass is over. Either way, you should have a bit more of an open mind about who can get in, because over half of the characters that have gotten in FP1+2 so far haven't been realistic guesses.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Either way, you should have a bit more of an open mind about who can get in, because over half of the characters that have gotten in FP1+2 so far haven't been realistic guesses.
I am open minded. I just know that Assist Trophies, DLC Mii Costumes, and DLC Spirits are disconfirmations. There's no way around that. There are also a few characters that have been disconfirmed by the people who own them, and most Nintendo characters have chances near 0 since they have nothing that Nintendo would want to promote that we know of. Everything else is fair game, and that's a long list of characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Name two characters that you'd like to see in Smash Ultimate that aren't a part of your "most wanteds". For me, I can name Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown and Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney.
Elma and Rex.
I honestly don't love their original games, but as character concepts they're cool enough and they would bring more xenoblade music and a stage which are both always stunning.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yesterday's "They wouldn't care about promoting them" character is tomorrow's "It was gonna happen at some point" character.

From the top of my head, I could name about six first-party "promotional" characters who I could easily see being labeled as obvious additions, but only after the fact. It's just that this thread loves prematurely eliminating options at the first sign that gives them reason to doubt. Adding an ARMS character three years after the game launched was treated as a stupid suggestion until Nintendo confirmed it, then it made perfect sense.

Not saying that we're definitely getting another "promotional" character (even though I do expect them to continue the pattern after Corrin and Byleth), but if we do, you can expect a lot of people to hide their true feelings of surprise.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if a Bioshock character could work. I could see Jack working with his weaponry and plasmids, but a Big Daddy could probably work too.

I have absolutely no knowledge on Bioshock, but this guys looks pretty interesting, design-wise. I'm already interested in the moveset potential.

This is my moveset for Big Daddy, if you're interested. Maybe I should update something and add some references because I didn't do anything after the first effort in writing down the moveset, but I think that it's okay right now.
There are also cool moveset for other BioShock characters from another guy!
https://smashboards.com/threads/ssb...-bioshock-series-dlc-pack-and-moveset.483558/

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yesterday's "They wouldn't care about promoting them" character is tomorrow's "It was gonna happen at some point" character.
This is correct to the extent that revisionism is incredibly common here. There are no characters that are bound to happen in general, and Nintendo characters in particular hinge on events of unknown chances to even have a real shot.

Not saying that we're definitely getting another "promotional" character (even though I do expect them to continue the pattern after Corrin and Byleth), but if we do, you can expect a lot of people to hide their true feelings of surprise.
Thinking about promotional characters in this vein is kinda weird since most of Nintendo's big new games are already disconfirmed through DLC content. We're pretty much just left with Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, and Pikmin 3 Deluxe. Barring that, it's pretty much just games that we don't know about. Will we get a big new Pikmin game? Metroid? Kirby? Pokémon? Will they want to add a second Xenoblade Chronicles character, or a protagonist from Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Tourna ~ The Golden Country? All of these options make some sort of sense, but it's impossible to tell what they'd actually do.

Also I just realized that Rex & Pyra/Mythra isn't an option, but solo Mythra is, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Shroob

Sup?
Kinda sobering how we're just a little under 3 weeks until TGAs.

I'm not 'expecting' anything per-se, but we'll be about two months since Steve launched by then.... Has it already almost been two months? Doesn't feel like it, that's for sure.

Regardless, while I have 0 idea if we're getting anything at all in December, I feel pretty confident that the wait won't be as bad as what happened between MinMin and Steve, unless this next character somehow puts Steve and his "Needing to remake every stage to accommodate him" to shame. Mid January is my best guess, a solid late 80-to mid 90 days after Steve's launch.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can we stop calling Min Min a "promotional character?"

Corrin and Byleth are promotional characters and were chosen because their games were released in very specific time windows. Essentially, they look for a new game that is set to release in a certain time period and pick a character from that game. That means, that yes... Fire Emblem got that slot... twice. I don't think its due to any bias. The IS team is just REALLY lucky with their development cycles. How do we know this? Sakurai has discussed this in interviews.

When Min Min was teased, revealed and added, ARMS was three years old. The reason Nintendo wanted ARMS in Smash is because ARMS was their next successful IP made by the in house team. You can make stuff up and say Nintendo was trying to "revive" ARMS but the reality is... ARMS doesn't need it. Certain groups can ***** all they want about ARMS "sucking," but that doesn't matter at the end of the day. Overall reception was positive and it made a lot of money BEFORE Ultimate was even released. If you somehow count that as "shilling" or "promotional," then you must consider Inkling a promotional character too. After all, they were three years old when they were included in Smash too. Or perhaps you could say ARMS wasn't successful enough to not be a "promotional pick.". Well, its single game has sold more then any Pikmin or Xenoblade (tho XC2 is getting close) game. Does that make Olimar and Shulk shill picks? Their franchises clearly need the advertising more. Heck the Xenoblade devs have gone on record saying that Shulk being included in Smash helped sales.

The only way Min Min can be considered a "promotional" character is that she technically promotes her series, just like every character does.

I'm getting real tired of people trying to downplay ARMS' accomplishments just because they don't like it. It's not some fluke of an IP that just got picked cause Nintendo is putting it on life support.

It's a new proven successful IP that was added AFTER is was proven to be successful. That's pretty much what this thread begs for.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if a Bioshock character could work. I could see Jack working with his weaponry and plasmids, but a Big Daddy could probably work too.

I'd go for Elizabeth from Infinite myself but it would take a while to work out a good moveset based around ripping open holes in reality.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ryu Hayabusa and Crash Bandicoot.

I don't have a ton of experience with either series, since both of them seem too difficult for me (I've tried a few games in their series, but I've only beaten Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, the N. Sane Trilogy version of Crash 3, and the Wrath of Cortex), and I'm not sure what Crash can do aside from spinning, sliding, using a fruit bazooka, using a jetpack, and using crates (it's been a while since I beat Wrath of Cortex), but both of them seem like obvious choices, and I'd like to see them in Smash for how historic it would be, at the very least.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sakurai may be more willing to work his ass off than most Smash fans, but that doesn't mean he'll make a character's moveset more unnecessarily complicated for representation. Not everything a character can do-in this case, getting to evolve into Espeon/Umbreon/Leafeon/Glaceon/Sylveon-gets added to their moveset.
I fully disagree with you. Altering stats, the visuals of the attacks, and the character model. Sure- that's not simple, but it's less work than Hero, for sure. Ultimately, I see it as neither that complicated, nor 'unnecessary.'

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Crash and Shantae. There’s no doubt they’ve got appeal and if they have fun movesets, even better.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I fully disagree with you. Altering stats, the visuals of the attacks, and the character model. Sure- that's not simple, but it's less work than Hero, for sure. Ultimately, I see it as neither that complicated, nor 'unnecessary.'
I would think they'd all have different special moves as well, and (Eevee+8 evolutions) times 4=36=more specials to make than in Hero's command list on top of nine sets of stats.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Also I just realized that Rex & Pyra/Mythra isn't an option, but solo Mythra is, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.
They could just go with Adam and Mythra if they want to take that route. I think that, as hard as it can be to make a moveset, having a Xenoblade 2 character and not making a duo characters would be a huge missed opportunity.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would think they'd all have different special moves as well, and (Eevee+8 evolutions) times 4=36=more specials to make than in Hero's command list on top of nine sets of stats.
To me, they'd primarily be stat changes/visual changes. Not entirely unique moves.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Corrin and Byleth are promotional characters and were chosen because their games were released in very specific time windows. Essentially, they look for a new game that is set to release in a certain time period and pick a character from that game. That means, that yes... Fire Emblem got that slot... twice. I don't think its due to any bias. The IS team is just REALLY lucky with their development cycles. How do we know this? Sakurai has discussed this in interviews.

When Min Min was teased, revealed and added, ARMS was three years old. The reason Nintendo wanted ARMS in Smash is because ARMS was their next successful IP made by the in house team. You can make stuff up and say Nintendo was trying to "revive" ARMS but the reality is... ARMS doesn't need it. Certain groups can ***** all they want about ARMS "sucking," but that doesn't matter at the end of the day. Overall reception was positive and it made a lot of money BEFORE Ultimate was even released. If you somehow count that as "shilling" or "promotional," then you must consider Inkling a promotional character too. After all, they were three years old when they were included in Smash too. Or perhaps you could say ARMS wasn't successful enough to not be a "promotional pick.". Well, its single game has sold more then any Pikmin or Xenoblade (tho XC2 is getting close) game. Does that make Olimar and Shulk shill picks? Their franchises clearly need the advertising more. Heck the Xenoblade devs have gone on record saying that Shulk being included in Smash helped sales.

The only way Min Min can be considered a "promotional" character is that she technically promotes her series, just like every character does.

I'm getting real tired of people trying to downplay ARMS' accomplishments just because they don't like it. It's not some fluke of an IP that just got picked cause Nintendo is putting it on life support.

It's a new proven successful IP that was added AFTER is was proven to be successful. That's pretty much what this thread begs for.
Bragging time: just like I predicted 8 months ago ARMS sales have barely increased since the Smash reveal, if at all. And it wasn't a hard prediction or anything, not even the most out of touch business suit at Nintendo would think they could give a noticeable sales boost to a 3 year old game whose legs had already run out and with physical copies already out of print just because of cross promotion with another Nintendo title.

Nothing that the promotion arguers predicted (ARMS 2, new waves of DLC, more promotional events after the 1 week trial [that they had already done for ARMS several times before]) has come to pass. They are reduced to arguing that by putting ARMS in Smash they are "solidifying" the IP as if games needed certified Smash permission for their continued existence, so they can maintain the promotion angle somehow.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ryu Hayabusa and Heihachi for me.
I could also mention a few more names: Rex & Pyra, Rayman, Monster Hunter or Arle.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
2B and Heihachi

Less "wants" per-say, and more "they'd be cool, and I have deep respect their support bases, so I'd be all for em"

SKX31

Smash Master

I largely concur. However (I can't speak for anyone but myself here):

When I talk about "reviving" ARMS, I'm going by the issue of daily / monthly playerbase and investment from Nintendo's end (via official support, patches etc.) - not total sales. We can't know the exact playerbase stats since Nintendo keeps that under lock and key. Yes, there was a core of ARMS players who formed the active ARMS playerbase, but beyond that? Very difficult to say, but chances are that the ARMS playerbase wasn't as large as Nintendo initially hoped.

One thing that struck me as very odd was that Nintendo did not continue supporting ARMS from the period where Dr. Coyle released to the March 2020 reveal. It's worth contrasting with Splatoon here, who's evidently - judging by Nintendo not stopping support for 1 and later on 2 at all - seen consistent support and tournaments from Nintendo. Since March 2020, NoA's held two ARMS Online Open for example (with the latest in August IIRC, well after Min Min released). Perhaps Nintendo saw ARMS as a finished game for all intents and purposes, with an initially large but then declining playerbase... only to be caught by surprise when the core ARMS playerbase hung on?

Ergo, perhaps a better word for that would be "revitalizing" the ARMS series? Which is a different word from "reviving", even if the difference can be subtle.

I have a ling list of them, but Gordon Freeman and Lara Croft amongst those just to name two examples.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There are very few characters that I actively don't want. Most characters I just don't have an opinion on, mostly due to not playing their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom