• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
They could also go for a more family friendly Capcom character like Phoenix Wright that has DMC beaten out in the history with Nintendo department.
Ace Attorney is a possibility (and gosh do I hope it wins out, personally), but things are admittedly really good looking for Dante right now: Tons of little things have been piling up here and there ever since the initial "I think Dante should be on Switch first before we consider Smash Bros." comment, and the series is being pushed really hard by Capcom on Switch ATM with an exclusive port of 3 that had new QoL features added to it. Does that mean Phoenix won't happen? No, 'cause none of us know for sure what's happening, but I personally am betting more on Dante. Ace Attorney just doesn't feel like a super huge priority for Capcom ATM: I think odds are Phoenix might get Mii costumed, unfortunately.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Ace Attorney is a possibility (and gosh do I hope it wins out, personally), but things are admittedly really good looking for Dante right now: Tons of little things have been piling up here and there ever since the initial "I think Dante should be on Switch first before we consider Smash Bros." comment, and the series is being pushed really hard by Capcom on Switch ATM with an exclusive port of 3 that had new QoL features added to it. Does that mean Phoenix won't happen? No, 'cause none of us know for sure what's happening, but I personally am betting more on Dante. Ace Attorney just doesn't feel like a super huge priority for Capcom ATM: I think odds are Phoenix might get Mii costumed, unfortunately.
Honestly if it is a full on deluxe Mii Costume or at the very least comes with a Pursuit - Cornered remix I would be all for that.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Probably Dante.
I'd believe it.

Also in terms of Mortal Kombat, Sub Zero would be a much easier character for them to tone down for Smash while still keeping what makes him unique. (Since they already have a character like Ice Climbers that uses Ice Like Sub Zero I think they can tone him down pretty easily without giving up what makes the character unique)
Scorpion isn't all that difficult to tone down in the first place. All you have to do is not include X-Rays and Krushing Blows (they weren't always a thing anyways), and not have his flames melt other players to death.

I mean, to be fair, I imagine properly and faithfully representing a series that's iconic enemies all feature gruesome and/or grotesque body horror designs would be rather difficult for a family friendly Nintendo game. Can't really rep a game about zombies without actually having the zombies represented in some way, IMHO.

The issue was never about the guns or the protags of RE itself, it was always about what would be needed to fully represent what it is. Best case scenario would probably have been another Cloud situation, but even then that makes the stages really tricky, as how would you do an RE stage without any zombies at all? I suppose you could try to sensor some of the less gruesome ones, but then is that even representing RE at that point if it isn't the monsters that are actually iconic to the series?
I get the feeling that Resident Evil content would be pretty heavily based on Resident Evil 2 and/or 1. In either case, I don't think any of the designs would be all that bad, even in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's artstyle.

From what I can remember, that village stage with the chainsaw guys chasing Leon seemed to be pretty tame as well, and memorable enough for people to keep bringing it up. That could work as well unless I'm not remembering the details.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Scorpion isn't all that difficult to tone down in the first place. All you have to do is not include X-Rays and Krushing Blows (they weren't always a thing anyways), and not have his flames melt other players to death.
I don't even play Mortal Kombat and I feel like Sub Zero is just as iconic as Scorpion is so that's why I thought it'd be between those two.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So do you guys think there's something Special about whoever FP11 is in Fighter Pass 2?

I've seen speculation about there being a Reason there's 6 Characters in Fighter Pass 2 compared to the 5 in Fighter Pass 1. People would Say Plant, but I also Say Plant does not come with Stage or Music like FP11 does.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
So do you guys think there's something Special about whoever FP11 is in Fighter Pass 2?

I've seen speculation about there being a Reason there's 6 Characters in Fighter Pass 2 compared to the 5 in Fighter Pass 1. People would Say Plant, but I also Say Plant does not come with Stage or Music like FP11 does.
Maybe FP11 is one of those completely unexpected characters mindblowing characters to be added back like Cloud was in Smash 4. Someone like Master Chief, for example.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, to be fair, I imagine properly and faithfully representing a series that's iconic enemies all feature gruesome and/or grotesque body horror designs would be rather difficult for a family friendly Nintendo game. Can't really rep a game about zombies without actually having the zombies represented in some way, IMHO.

The issue was never about the guns or the protags of RE itself, it was always about what would be needed to fully represent what it is. Best case scenario would probably have been another Cloud situation, but even then that makes the stages really tricky, as how would you do an RE stage without any zombies at all? I suppose you could try to sensor some of the less gruesome ones, but then is that even representing RE at that point if it isn't the monsters that are actually iconic to the series?

Part of the reason I think DMC will be our Capcom rep is because I think the series is very similar to Bayonetta in that yes, it is very much mature, but you can easily leave out the bits that make it mature or change and tweak them in subtle ways that the general content still shines through and the people who enjoy these series still "get it", so to speak.
Adding on to the hypothetical Cloud situation, it should be noted that Smash 4 DLC didn't have the same consistency as SSBU's. The first Fighter's Pass established that we'd have a lot more content than last game's DLC, and I don't think we'll end up with a Cloud situation again.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Probably not. While I disagree with the notion that they always end on a low note, they certainly don't ever go out of their way to end on a high note, instead preferring to front load their reveals a bit.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Part of the reason I think DMC will be our Capcom rep is because I think the series is very similar to Bayonetta in that yes, it is very much mature, but you can easily leave out the bits that make it mature or change and tweak them in subtle ways that the general content still shines through and the people who enjoy these series still "get it", so to speak.
I mean, they don't have to put actual zombies in the stages? Most series don't have generic enemies there anyways. And we already saw "zombies" represented in the spirit events like with Leon's Spirit battle.

Just have stage cameos of all the major characters throughout the series like with the King of Fighter's Stadium. Assuming we have Chris/Jill/Leon/Claire as playable through either alts or echos, for the background characters we could have Barry, Rebecca, Ashley, Wesker, Ada, Sheva, Steve, Sherry, Jake, etc. Maybe have Mr. X wandering around as a boss too, he's pretty tame in design.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I get the feeling it may of been because they wanted the DLC lineup to be end on an even number or something, lol.

Prior to FP2, we had FP1 + Piranha Plant, a total of six characters. So adding six characters on to that for FP2 would result in a even 12.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also I just have to ask

How Low are you're Guys expectations for FP11? I Know Smash Reveals usually don't end on the Highest note and are often the most controvirisal Characters.

Personally I don't think FP11 will be as Controversial as Incinearoar or Byleth. I can't think of a Realistic Character that would be as Controversial as those Two, and Bayonetta shows we can still get exciting additions as the last character.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Also I just have to ask

How Low are you're Guys expectations for FP11? I Know Smash Reveals usually don't end on the Highest note and are often the most controvirisal Characters.

Personally I don't think FP11 will be as Controversial as Incinearoar or Byleth. I can't think of a Realistic Character that would be as Controversial as those Two, and Bayonetta shows we can still get exciting additions as the last character.
I hope it will be the one thing that will disappoint almost everybody but make me extremely happy: new retro rep!

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Also I just have to ask

I don't care about who it ends up being as long as they're fun.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I always had the thought in the back of my mind that there could be some sort of significance to Fighter 11. If it's to show that there are six fighters instead of five then no. We'll find out once they're revealed... next year... with the Banjo & Kazooie, Terry and Byleth amiibos...

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Also I just have to ask

I hope it's someone like Byleth or Incineroar.

What? It just means I want someone I like, nothing else :estatic:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
They're probably not the main reason they're picked, but complicated mechanics seems to be a pretty consistent marketing point for the DLC as of current.

Heck, the two characters we've got in vol 2 are probably the most unSmash-like characters we've ever gotten
Nah dude, they play exactly like how you expect Smash characters to play. Don't believe me? Min Min stands somewhere and spams ARMS attacks like any good zoner, while Steve can just spam Up Tilt / Up Air and make the Steve player feel like (s)he's playing Mario. :4pacman:

How Low are you're Guys expectations for FP11?
Not caring all that much about who it is in the end / 10 (but confident in that FP11's well-designed).

I'd prefer some characters of course, but the most important thing is that the character's entertaining to play as. That's where I'm confident.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Most likely no. Smash never had a history of ending with anything big.

I think we're only at most going to get one more big character, the rest will be lesser-known, a "Sakurai"/surprise pick or 1st party.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also I just have to ask

We'll get there when we get there

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why were people so upset that the Grinch wasn't playable? Like he's not even from a video game. /s
He was referring to the Grinch Leak, an infamous leak that claimed a bunch of fan favorite characters would be in. It's a long story, but it claimed that Geno, Banjo & Kazooie, Isaac, the Chorus Kids, Ken, Shadow, and Mach Rider would all be playable.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He was referring to the Grinch Leak, an infamous leak that claimed a bunch of fan favorite characters would be in. It's a long story, but it claimed that Geno, Banjo & Kazooie, Isaac, the Chorus Kids, Ken, Shadow, and Mach Rider would all be playable.
This really be a wooooosh moment.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally I think we'll See one of the Characters in the Grinch Leak be an Actual Playable character in Fighter Pass 2, it's been a Trend after all

Base Roster: Ken
Fighter Pass 1: Banjo
Fighter Pass 2: ???

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For Gameplay stuff
I reframed the quote for ease of readability
I also hope people actually read this given how much time I spent on speculation, with the other archetypes write up as well.

-I Want a Character that Fights by Glitching out the Game, which is Something I haven't seen Done before in any Game. I think Missingno would fit Very well, and would make a Good Surprise Character in Smash 6
I cant imagine what Missingno would look like if Steve got the reception he received.
The first thought is actually Venelope. Who, I don't want at all, but makes half as much sense to me as :ultrob:
I am not incredibly versed in Yokai-Watch, but given what a yokai is, it might make sense for
Jibanyan to cause other characters to glitch. If not, this is more how I would see a curse working, with perhaps another character.

-I want a Character that Has Portals As a Gimmick. So Someone like Chell from Portal, Wraith from Apex Legends, and Noob Saibot from Mortal Kombat would be good. Speaking of Noob
Portal is a bit enough game that... I think it should just be Chell.

-I want a Character that Fights using a Clone. Noob would be amazing for this, But I actually think if they Make Dark Samus Unique, they could give her Clone ability to her in Smash 6
This is just flash animations, to me/a summon character. Especially with the reference of Noob, who cannot move when his clone is summoned (if I'm remembering correctly...or at least, that you only control one).

-I want a Character with Permanent Transformations, or Transformations you can Stay in forever if you keep up your Resources. I want Goku to have this, but Agumon would also work well
I mentioned Eevee, who would get one evolution choice per life. I think this works better than most transformations that are permanent, because you actually have a choice.

-I Want a Character with a Katana and Iado Fight style, and I want Vergil to take that mantle, but I also Really don't mind and Would be Cool with Lyn. In fact I wouldn't mind if we got her this FP2 (and would be kinda Excited) even if she be 9th Fire Emblem Character, but she deserves it though
Can you tell me what a lado fighter is?

-I want a Character that, as one of my friends said it "Rewards you for Doing Well" Pretty much you get buffed for Playing well, pretty much the Opposite of Lucario's Aura Mechanic. I think Dante (and Vergil) would make use of this well with the Style Ranking. Perhaps the more Style you have the better Damage you do, or Perhaps the longer you Devil Trigger lasts
I think Balloon Fighter could be the reverse of this- punishing you for doing poorly. I'd also argue both Doom Slayer and Master Chief would be near the top of my mind for upgrading weapons (which... to me translates as doing well).

-I Want a Character that Manipulates Time and Space, but in a More Offensive manner, like Dio's Time Freeze or Geras Time Moves, or maybe even Sakuya Izayoi Time shenigains with her Knives. But Of Course I want SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG to do this among all else. Bayonetta witch Time isn't as cool since it's a Counter
Tracer would have an entire moveset based on these main abilities. Both in one shot, simple. (I'm starting to think that you just...though at this point I'm starting to think maybe you fit the description of what characters you wanted to in).

-I want a Character that has Teleport Combos or Teleport Cancels like DBZ. Goku and Shadow would Be perfect for this. I know there's the Ledge cancel thing but I want to do these without the Need for Ledges
...yeah, you just want to make Shadow fit. I think he'd be odd for combos.

-I want a Character with an Airdash. Reimu could probably have this, or perhaps Sol badguy or Ragna, but I'd prefer Reimu
(Another I don't really understand. It's just a move).

-I want More characters with Super Armor, like Little Mac, especially if they re-tune Make in Smash 6 and take away his Super Armor. I think Black Knight would be Cool, but My Dream pick would be Broly.
I think that a good take on super armor would be Arthur from GnG. He would be so based on super armor that it would change gameplay based on how much or little he had on.

I Want a Character with a Scythe, and I also want Characters with Lightsabers or Beam Swords (Shulk's Beam sword does not have Lightsaber sound effects). Travis would be good for later, but besides Zasameal from Soul Calbur, I can't think of anyone else
(Not sure what a Scythe has to do with a lightsaber, or why a lightsaber would be any different from many types of swords. And now I wonder why it is even called a lightsaber, other than that it sounds cool, as a sabre is very specifically a curved sword).

I Want a Character that fights using Dancing, like if they put Michael Jackson in Smash. Waluigi Unironically would be good for this, since his Most Important role was in Mario Dance Dance Revolution
I will second the Waluigi on this- not just for DDR, but it's just more how I imagined he would fight. Air Swim, his necessary 'suck this' animation. Sports end up looking like dance in a moveset, sometimes.

I want some more Super Heavy weight characters on the scale of Bowser and King K Rool or Rushdown characters like Captain Falcon and Roy.

On the note of new character archetypes, I don't think we have a purely defensive character who's playstyle is Defense being the greatest Offense. The character would be a super heavyweight and have weak attacks but have special properties like reflectors, absorption, stuff that'd make the character like a tank. No idea who would work like that but I want it to be like some kind of Robot.

Oh and a character that indirectly attacks you with status conditions like Poison, sleep, paralysis, burn, freezing, curse or an elementalist character who's normal attacks use different kinds of elements like Fire, Water, ice. I mean Giga Bowser does this but you can't actually play as him.
I think this was 7Nator? My apologies.
  • Super Heavy Rushdown: In My head this is how Sol Badguy would function, but I'll be honest that I don't know enough about Guilty Gear. It would also make comlete sense to me for it to be either Exciter Biker or Mach RIder, given that they should both be heavy and speedy.
  • Bulk Defense: Not that it's a likely character, but a Tetronimo could function this way based on the game. Or even a Space Invader.
  • Status Conditions: To some extent, this could somewhat be Arle, or Lip, or Kamek. I dont have enough magic users on my enormous Smash spreadsheet, as I don't think enough are prevalent in Nintendo games (oddly enough), or as prominent third party characters. But--- I also think Vaati could function, at least slightly, like this- by transfiguring characters, turning them to stone, summoning darkness. (Ultimately from your list, I think that paralysis is the same as sleep is the same as freezing, and burning would be the same as poison and the same as a curse. They wouldn't innately have to be, but in terms of function, they do often come across as similar. Other than in Pokemon.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom