• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Even ignoring that, I guess 1 2 Switch was so bad that even Nintendo wants to disown it in the name of its (much better) brother that they love more.
1,2 Switch was okay for what it was.

It just... wasn't worth 60 bucks.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Yeah, I guess that is true but there's no real rule against that. Things just have to originate from a Video Game and those specific images do come from a Video Game.
Totally unrelated but on the same topic of 'real people' in Smash Bros is that, is it also apply to something like Dracula who obviously uses the same name as Dracula in Bram Stoker's story or most Gods and Goddesses in Kid Icarus like Dyntos, Hades, and Medusa where their name is literally taken straight out of their real life equivalent?

I just want to asked this because I'm sick of people using the argument 'but it's real people' when talking about a Dynasty Warriors character (even though I'm the only who cared about that :))

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
1,2 Switch was okay for what it was.

It just... wasn't worth 60 bucks.
It should have just been the bundle game like Wii Sports and Nintendo Land. Even then I’d be more willing to pay more for those two games than I would for 1, 2, Switch in terms of quality.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You guys know you can buy used games?
I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't cracked down on used games yet. Isn't it essentially the same as piracy on their terms? I suppose you could say that used game shops are profiting and that's good enough for Nintendo but they aren't getting any of the profits from their own game which is what I think matters to them.

I suppose that's next on their enemies list once they've removed emulators and game preservation forever.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't cracked down on used games yet. Isn't it essentially the same as piracy on their terms? I suppose you could say that used game shops are profiting and that's good enough for Nintendo but they aren't getting any of the profits from their own game which is what I think matters to them.

I suppose that's next on their enemies list once they've removed emulators and game preservation forever.
There's no need. Digital distribution will take care of used games for them with time.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Totally unrelated but on the same topic of 'real people' in Smash Bros is that, is it also apply to something like Dracula who obviously uses the same name as Dracula in Bram Stoker's story or most Gods and Goddesses in Kid Icarus like Dyntos, Hades, and Medusa where their name is literally taken straight out of their real life equivalent?

I just want to asked this because I'm sick of people using the argument 'but it's real people' when talking about a Dynasty Warriors character (even though I'm the only who cared about that :))
Those cases are public domain names. As for Dynasty Warriors, it's also using public domain names and anyone trying to claim otherwise is clearly an idiot

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So I had yet another Smash dream.

This one was a double reveal. I forgot who one was but the other one is a character from The Legend of Zelda. I remember it being someone who is not one of the triforce trio and is not Impa. I think it was either Ghirahim or another character that is yellow.

There was also new minigames added and you could access them through an interactive hub. Think of it as like one of the hubs from the early Lego games.

Finally, Geno is playable! But you can only play as him in those new minigames.

Edit: Oh yeah, and a couple new games got spirit events, like Destroy All Humans which made me real happy.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
It's somehow weird and funny at the same time that most supporter for Impa to join Smash always goes back and forth in terms of choosing a design for her in Smash.

Like for instance, before the first Hyrule Warriors came out people uses Impa design from Ocarina of Time as the image of her and people always preceive her at best being an echo of Sheik due to low screentime of her doing some action and the fact that she's the person that teach Zelda various Sheikah technique.

Now move forward when Hyrule Warriors came out and her design from that game has been a staple for various fan moveset and interpretation replacing her OoT design until the early days of Ultimate's Fighter Pass 1. Now her status as a clone of Sheik seems to died out due to her use of naginata as her primary weapon in that game as well as her giant sword and being a Character that relied more on momentum to strike her opponent while still being fast.

Now move forward to today and Age of Calamity has been announced or should I say been released and her design from that game, smartly titled as 'Young Impa' is now her current design that is often portrayed. Unlike HW Impa' who's just an upgraded version of her design from Skyward Sword and is from a spin-off game that is not canon to the series, which is often laid out as one of her cons is now gone completely gone when AoC arrive, which is a prequel to BoTW, the same game where the design of Link in Smash hails from. Now instead of her being an old lady that wield oversized weapon now becoming a pretty young girl that is considered by many to be waifu material and is basically a Naruto character.

This meme basically sums up the changes and struggle the fans has with her which is honestly the only time that this situation ever happen for a character.
PicsArt_11-21-08.42.13.jpg

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I never really understood why people ever thought Hyrule Warriors would ever be a factor into Zelda's representation in Smash.

It's really just the simple fact that they're not really true Nintendo games, in a sense. They aren't actually published by Nintendo in Japan, Koei Tecmo has those honors; they are essentially just third party games with licensed Nintendo characters. This is probably the main reason Hyrule Warriors doesn't have any representation in base game Ultimate (like I mentioned before, Shantae is the only series represented in the base game that neither has a game published by Nintendo in Japan, nor belongs to a third party with a playable rep on the roster).

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I never really understood why people ever thought Hyrule Warriors would ever be a factor into Zelda's representation in Smash.

It's really just the simple fact that they're not really true Nintendo games, in a sense. They aren't actually published by Nintendo in Japan, Koei Tecmo has those honors; they are essentially just third party games with licensed Nintendo characters. This is probably the main reason Hyrule Warriors doesn't have any representation in base game Ultimate (like I mentioned before, Shantae is the only series represented in the base game that neither has a game published by Nintendo in Japan, nor belongs to a third party with a playable rep on the roster).
One word. Moveset potential.

basically the reason why Hyrule Warriors earn the limelight is the fact that making up moveset for her is fairly easy without making up things like Sakurai did with Zelda, Young Link, Toon Link and Sheik and also Ganon if you count him being just Falcon with a sword is uninspired. Basically the most requested character always has the moveset decks out infront of their face with some obvious ones like Dante, Sora, Geno, and Hayabusa.

JRPG, Hack n' Slash and 3D Platformer is among the most common and easiest character to make a moveset and the sole reason why the 'no moveset potential' argument came out.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I can't blame anyone who looks at stuff like Hyrule Warriors and really wants/prefers Smash take some inspiration from it.

I mean Zelda herself has existed as character for almost 35 years and its always other companies (Koei Tecmo with HW, Brace Yourself Games with Cadence of Hyrule, heck even Phillips with the god awful CD-I games) that make her playable in games with actual moves. Its no surprise someone would look at those and imagine how it could work in something like Ultimate.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One word. Moveset potential.
----------------1--------2-------
:191:

Anyways yeah that's understandable. Never been an Impa supporter nor understood why they wanted Sheik 2.0 back in the day and HW is a fresh take on the character in both incarnations.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You...you know Icarus and Hades and Medusa don't HAVE real life equivalents right? They were never real people.

It's really just the simple fact that they're not really true Nintendo games, in a sense.
It's as much a Nintendo game as Pokken is. And Pikachu Libre is in Smash.

Last edited:

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
You guys know you can buy used games?
if you look around your local area, you can probably find a store that sells used games. if that doesn't work I would suggest eBay or Amazon for deals. or you could wait till Cyber Monday for big deals on new games

KillerCage

Smash Master
JRPG, Hack n' Slash and 3D Platformer is among the most common and easiest character to make a moveset and the sole reason why the 'no moveset potential' argument came out.
I would argue fighting game characters are also easy to implement into Smash based Ryu and Terry.
Much of their movesets are already premade; they just need some twinkling.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Min Min is a... weird case. For starters, all the different ARMS she can use act basically the same, having only minorly different properties. There's also the fact that she's arguably a little less complex than other fighters without that mechanic, considering how many of her moves are basic ARMS punches.

I guess I'd be okay with another character that has something like Min Min's down-B, but I've seen movesets where you switch between completely different weapons and that ain't working.
This seems like a very limitting perspective, tbh.
Min Min isn't a stance change character, but a new weapon is too much?

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
That's clearly not true, Tomb Raider is not going to be in Smash. Saying that "the plan may change from now until then" is a flimsy excuse to cover themselves and hold no accountability when their source proves to be incorrect.
If Lara is going to be announced for Smash it's definitely not going to be announced in November. Even if this person is lying there's definitely still a good chance for her later on.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
You...you know Icarus and Hades and Medusa don't HAVE real life equivalents right? They were never real people.
Yeah.. I know, that's why I said it's totally unrelated but have the same exact topic of discussion, also I don't know if you can call a Greek god that used to be worship as didn't have a real life equivalent cause it might be because the concept of Greek gods has been milked dry in the gaming industry that everyone might thought it's fictional. Anyway my point is the character that I mentioned above have a directly same name as those example from a widely different media.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I would argue fighting game characters are also easy to implement into Smash based Ryu and Terry.
Much of their movesets are already premade; they just need some twinkling.
Problem is, Sakurai wants them to play exactly like they do in their original games with as little liberties as possible, or else we would've gotten Heihachi in Smash4, but since Tekken doesn't have the kind of over the top aerial action Smash has (it's almost non-existent) and thus killing half of his moveset, it never happened.

Nothing 100% comfirmed, but it's really the only reason I see why he would think Heihachi as difficult to implement.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Problem is, Sakurai wants them to play exactly like they do in their original games with as little liberties as possible, or else we would've gotten Heihachi in Smash4, but since Tekken doesn't have the kind of over the top aerial action Smash has (it's almost non-existent) and thus killing half of his moveset, it never happened.

Nothing 100% comfirmed, but it's really the only reason I see why he would think Heihachi as difficult to implement.
That makes sense. Maybe Sakurai could’ve used some of Heihachi’s aerials from Street Fighter x Tekken though? Ken & Mega Man both have moves from Marvel vs Capcom so it’s not unprecedented.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Like, can you mentioned all of the popular or most requested character and knock them down one by one based on the genre that I mentioned (that being RPG, Hack n' Slash and 3D Platformer) and see who's among these is the odd ones out. My guess is that only Phoenix Wright stands out from the rest.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

It's not really that people expect content to be directly lifted from the game to Smash in terms of playable incarnations, but Hyrule Warriors was kind of the only "new" Zelda game we had for the majority of the Wii U's lifespan. In fact since BoTW was a dual Switch release Hyrule Warriors was the only non-port game that was exclusively released on the Wii U for it's initial release and for the Wii U's lifespan (it's ports wouldn't come until the Wii U was mostly dead).

So even if HW Impa can't be directly used, the fact is that Impa's popularity did skyrocket from the game regardless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom