• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
More characters is cool but a third pass means paying more for all DLC than for a copy of the game and I'm not sure that's something I'm ok with
I'm willing to pay for more smash characters even when it cost more than the game itself heck other fighting games already have done that like Dragon Ball Fighterz, Street Fighter V, and Tekken 7.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I would buy only the specific characters I'm interested into so I don't care if the whole thing costs more than the game itself, I woulnd't spend that much anyway.

Though, I would prefer if they stop with the second fighter pass because I would prefer if they work on a new game instead of adding content to this one: I have my list of most wanteds and all, but I'm much more interested into the series actually evolving and adding new mechanics to the core gameplay than newcomers, so I would gladly accept a cut roster but an evolved gameplay with new ideas in it.

Also, I'm all for more content but the pain of the wait is killing my interest in the series as a whole, so I would accept a third fighter pass but only if they reveal all the characters from the beginning (sadly this would never happen because the marketing of smash is built on hyping the characters and revealing everything from the start would kill the hype; something that I'm not really happy with).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
More characters is cool but a third pass means paying more for all DLC than for a copy of the game and I'm not sure that's something I'm ok with
I find that it takes a bit of a load off if you're only buying it in bursts instead of just playing $120+ up front. Take it in chunks instead of going all at once.

It would really suck if you're one of the people who didn't get it day one and hopped on at the end of the lifecycle, though.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Depends on how many characters are in the pass. If it were to get greenlit, I'd expect 3 more challenger packs sold at the typical price individually, and $14.99 in a bundle.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
While I'm all for a final, 3rd Season of Smash Bros, I do think it's important for Sakurai and his staff to take a break from this project. Not to mention they'd have been working on FP2 for a long time, and factoring in the teleworking and Japan's still tackling COVID-19, I'd only want a final season if it were like say 4 newcomers or echo fighters, and depending on how solid the final post-FP2 roster is.

So ultimately I'd probably say yes, but with conditions that it only comes after Sakurai and the team are able to take a small breather before diving back in for one final ribbon on top of this jam-packed game.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
While I'm all for a final, 3rd Season of Smash Bros, I do think it's important for Sakurai and his staff to take a break from this project. Not to mention they'd have been working on FP2 for a long time, and factoring in the teleworking and Japan's still tackling COVID-19, I'd only want a final season if it were like say 4 newcomers or echo fighters, and depending on how solid the final post-FP2 roster is.

So ultimately I'd probably say yes, but with conditions that it only comes after Sakurai and the team are able to take a small breather before diving back in for one final ribbon on top of this jam-packed game.
I understand the logic of taking a break and then coming back for a last hurrah, but at the same time, you run the risk of people losing interest in Ultimate if you do that. I'm not sayin' they'd hemorrhage fans or anything, but there would definitely be less people interested in the hypothetical FP Vol. 3 if there was a pause in between the end of Vol. 2 and the beginning of 3.

Hell, people are already starting to lose interest from the wait Vol. 2 has been giving us.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
DLC is optional. The game was more than complete without DLC, and we got a lot of free new content post launch too. So I don't see anything wrong with charging for optional content in a game already bursting with it.

Anyway what's all this talk about a 3rd Pass? I thought it was settled that we weren't getting anything more after this.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
DLC is optional. The game was more than complete without DLC, and we got a lot of free new content post launch too. So I don't see anything wrong with charging for optional content in a game already bursting with it.

Anyway what's all this talk about a 3rd Pass? I thought it was settled that we weren't getting anything more after this.
PushDustIn made a poll asking people if they thought Sakurai should keep going with a third pass after FP Vol. 2 was over. I posted it here to get the opinion of the locals.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
PushDustIn made a poll asking people if they thought Sakurai should keep going with a third pass after FP Vol. 2 was over. I posted it here to get the opinion of the locals.
Oh gotcha. I thought maybe there was some rumor or something.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Shulk has a similar problem, though he does have it a bit worse, as quotes like "We're not invincible. Monado Enchant!" were dropped due to gameplay reasons so he's not as grounded in Super Smash Bros. as he is in Xenoblade Chronicles.
Every time someone says this I wonder if they actually played Xenoblade or just watched the cutscenes on youtube.

That quote is also wrong, it's "You're not invencible."

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Technically if you buy ALL the DLC available right now you have already done that.

I think the grand total of all the DLC, both passes and all Mii Costumes, sits right around $100...

and if you don’t buy any Mii Costumes you’re total still sits at a solid $55. $5 dollars under a base Smash Ultimate.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
and if you don’t buy any Mii Costumes you’re total still sits at a solid $55. $5 dollars under a base Smash Ultimate.
I'd like to add that's only the case if you got PP for free. If you bought and registered your copy of Ultimate after January, then it would be the same price as base game.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman

The creative director of the game literally cried in front of Miyamoto, you can tell he has a lot of passion for the game and for Nintendo. Ubisoft seems like a no brainer to give them a playable rep in Smash at this point.
In Italy we don't have a big scene in terms of software houses: it mostly consists in small independent companies, while the biggest ones are Ubisoft Milan, Kunis Simulazioni (Assetto Corsa) and Milestone (MotoGP). I've always been impressed by Davide's passion: he should be proud of M+R and above all he should be proud because he can help the industry to grow!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Counting the DLC Mii costumes, I've already done that, so I don't really mind as long as the extra fighters are fun.

Heck, my only regret so far was Banjo because his moveset and playstyle is far too obnoxious for my comfort and soul, and since I bought the Pass rather than characters individually, I can say he's the freebie and not care :p

Which reminds me, the characters alone already exceed the base game price by $12 if you count Plant and see the others individually rather than the Passes.

Yes, Plant is the same price as any other DLC despite having drastically less content.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
So far, the only DLC character I'm planning to buy is Banjo & Kazooie. Still haven't purchased it in case there is some really big promotion after they're done with DLC, which is unlikely, but I'm in no hurry. So more passes means more chances to have a character that I'm interested in. If I'm not, I don't pay for it. I'm kind of a completionist, but I have my limits, which are money, and when playing starts to feel too much like working. Didn't buy any Smash 4 DLC..

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Mii Costumes so I just wanted to say that I would love to see these four masks added as Mii Fighter Headgear, even though I know it probably isn't going to happen (tbh PAYDAY is on Switch so who knows?)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm just getting burned out a bit by speculation and such and not sure if I'm ready for yet another year or two on top of it all.

I'm more than satisfied with Smash's roster as of current, so it's not like I have anything to lose if we have to stop at vol 2.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I'm just getting burned out a bit by speculation and such and not sure if I'm ready for yet another year or two on top of it all. I'm more than satisfied with Smash's roster as of current, so it's not like I have anything to lose.
Honestly the only reason I'm still here speculating about characters is because there are still characters that I want to see added, like Rayman, Phoenix Wright, and Master Chief. I've been happy for all the people who got the characters that they wanted over the past 7 DLCs but I really want to get someone that I actually want to be in the game too.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I voted no because he needs a break. And if he isn't going to take one, I'd still rather see another project by him. I get that he's Mr. Smash, but this dude made Kid Icarus: Uprising out of nowhere. I want to see what wild new ideas he came up with after spending 8 years on non-stop Smash development.
I'm pretty much right here. I'd like to see more characters in Ultimate, specially if I don't get any of my most wanteds during Volume 2, but at the same time I'd like to see Sakurai doing something different. He's a great director and I'd love to see his creativity being used for other games. I'd love seeing a new game Kid Icarus game, a new and original IP made by him, or seeing him rescuing another forgotten IP like he did with Kid Icarus.

I don't know. Maybe they could still making DLC for Smash with Sakurai having a more secondary role? He could be a supervisor for an imaginary Volume 3.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That's still 60 bucks for the DLC though. 20+25+15. As in, what a lot of people paid for a copy
For that price, you'd be getting about 15 new playable characters (5 + 6 + 4, if the fact that adding more than that makes the game crash is any indication of the game's limit), 15 new stages, and a ton of new music. Plus, that would be spread out over the course of four or five years. (the current DLC's already spread out over three years; not sure whether four characters would take one year or two)

It's nowhere near the worst that I've seen - the Switch game based on the anime/manga Fairy Tail (the game itself is just called Fairy Tail) charges $60 US (which for me is $85) for four characters (one of which is already basically in the game, just CPU-controlled, and all of which already have models in the game) and five missions. (the DLC is absurdly over-priced)

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Voting's pretty damn even right now, which I find interesting.

What do you guys think? Personally, I voted yes on the grounds that if Sakurai wants to do it, more power to him. He's the master of his own fate, if he wants to take a break, he will. If he doesn't, then he won't. Simple as that.
Is rather he take a break so he wont work himself to the hospital

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
It seems that any argument that I see against FP3 always talk about Sakurai's health and that he should take a break, with most of them getting a negative outlook because it's too pitiful of us to think about that when he is enjoying himself with the development of Ultimate. It sounds really nasty, which it really is to think that I'm not allowed to pity Sakurai because it's tiresome to make yet another DLC pack during pandemic, cause we all know he never rant or banter about it during interview.

I mean this goes to show that everyone is just really hungry for new characters being added without minding the one who make it come true.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Could be worse.

People living in 2067 are going to have it rough when they start playing Smash Ultimate but also want all 1950 challenger packs.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If Sakurai agrees to a third pack, then I’m down for it. There’s always more amazing video game characters to add to this insane crossover!

Sakurai is a grown man in a position of power, he can decide when to stop. So if a third pass happens it’s not because Nintendo is cracking the whip on him, he would choose to do it.

SKX31

Smash Master
Heck, my only regret so far was Banjo because his moveset and playstyle is far too obnoxious for my comfort and soul, and since I bought the Pass rather than characters individually, I can say he's the freebie and not care :p
Yeah, I fully get that - IMHO B-K's in a weird limbo where their up-close game is just limited enough to hinder them at certain points, while the zoning tools aren't really zoning tools but are still effective enough to kinda function as that (that's a wonky phrase, I know). They just need QoL fixes though if you ask me, like slightly faster start up on their attacks (and perhaps a little less emphasis on camping with Grenade Eggs).

It's nowhere near the worst that I've seen - the Switch game based on the anime/manga Fairy Tail (the game itself is just called Fairy Tail) charges $60 US (which for me is $85) for four characters (one of which is already basically in the game, just CPU-controlled, and all of which already have models in the game) and five missions. (the DLC is absurdly over-priced)
Well:

Could be worse.

People living in 2067 are going to have it rough when they start playing Smash Ultimate but also want all 1950 challenger packs.
Damn it, was about to post about Train Simulator. TBF it's much more about buying one's favorite individual train routes / locomotives (at least what I've heard from its fanbase), but it's still insane. It's worth noting that individual locomotives cost $5-20 on the regular, train routes are generally at the $20-30 range etc.

I'll just post this pic too:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Could be worse.

Is that the DoA6 DLC page

too bad I can’t pull up the Train Simulator DLC page but it’s like 10x that amount l m a o

:ultgreninja: ’d

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
If Sakurai agrees to a third pack, then I’m down for it. There’s always more amazing video game characters to add to this insane crossover!

Sakurai is a grown man in a position of power, he can decide when to stop. So if a third pass happens it’s not because Nintendo is cracking the whip on him, he would choose to do it.
Besides, I think most people don't really care if the characters are made by Sakurai or by someone else.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Mii Costumes so I just wanted to say that I would love to see these four masks added as Mii Fighter Headgear, even though I know it probably isn't going to happen (tbh PAYDAY is on Switch so who knows?)

God I wish one of these could be a Mii hat.
I think another one that would be cool but has no chance would be Jacket from Hotline Miami. The chicken head would be funny on a Mii Brawler or Swordfighter.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Besides, I think most people don't really care if the characters are made by Sakurai or by someone else.
I would prefer if it was Sakurai since it seems like he’s one of the main factors into how much love each character gets. But if he retires from Smash but then said someone else on the hardworking Smash team is taking over & explains who they are, I’d be down for that too.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Every time someone says this I wonder if they actually played Xenoblade or just watched the cutscenes on youtube.
I've seen all cutscenes, and I've played through about half of the game. Super Smash Bros. Shulk is pretty accurate to regular battle Shulk in Xenoblade Chronicles since that side of him is pretty lighthearted. It doesn't portray any of the more sciencey or angry sides of him because those are mostly restricted to cutscenes and the like. Had there been a heart to heart equivalent in Super Smash Bros. then those aspects of the character would probably come up.

That quote is also wrong, it's "You're not invencible."
Hmm...Well that makes it a bit more generic, but it does make sense since he's the only one that doesn't really need Monado Enchant (though it does give you an attack buff which is why the computer seems to spam it. lol).

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I would prefer if it was Sakurai since it seems like he’s one of the main factors into how much love each character gets. But if he retires from Smash but then said someone else on the hardworking Smash team is taking over & explains who they are, I’d be down for that too.
I understand. Being given the choice between "no new characters" or "new characters made by someone else", I would choose the second option, and I take for granted that this person would be introduced by Sakurai, if not chosen by him. Besides, Smash Bros. will last longer than Sakurai, so sooner or later we will have to deal with another director. And why not start with some DLC as a warm-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom