• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If anything, Rayman (or almost any other fan request for that matter) would please the hardcore Smash fans.

Not saying Rayman wouldn't please the more casual crowd. But I'm pretty sure an AC character would appeal more to that group. Them not being vocal about it or not being speculating about Smash 24/7 doesn't mean they don't count.

When we talk about the "Smash community" we basically mean the most hardcore and devoted side of Smash players. But I'd say that's roughly 1 million of people. And Smash Ultimate has sold 20 million units.

I'm basically saying this because the assumption of an AC character (or any popular IP that isn't really requested among speculators) would just bring money and nothing more, it isn't true. I mean, it is true to an extent: Assassin's Creed doesn't seem to be really popular in places like Smashboards, but imagine if Nintendo added a poll in Ultimate's menu about which Ubisoft character people would prefer. I'm pretty convinced Assassin's Creed would rank very high.
What I wish were acknowledged more, is that the titular character from the Ubisoft Mii's didnt get a character.
I don't think this means Rayman is in, or- given Bomberman- maybe he is a preMiium.
But it's definitely odd.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
If anything, Rayman (or almost any other fan request for that matter) would please the hardcore Smash fans.

Not saying Rayman wouldn't please the more casual crowd. But I'm pretty sure an AC character would appeal more to that group. Them not being vocal about it or not being speculating about Smash 24/7 doesn't mean they don't count.

When we talk about the "Smash community" we basically mean the most hardcore and devoted side of Smash players. But I'd say that's roughly 1 million of people. And Smash Ultimate has sold 20 million units.

I'm basically saying this because the assumption of an AC character (or any popular IP that isn't really requested among speculators) would just bring money and nothing more, it isn't true. I mean, it is true to an extent: Assassin's Creed doesn't seem to be really popular in places like Smashboards, but imagine if Nintendo added a poll in Ultimate's menu about which Ubisoft character people would prefer. I'm pretty convinced Assassin's Creed would rank very high.
Yeah, what you say actually makes a lot of sense. I honestly would be totally cool with Ezio getting in but because Rayman is my most wanted character he's the one that I think should get in first. And hell, they did it for Banjo and Steve. Banjo was the more hardcore Smash fans pick and then Steve was the more casual appeal pick.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, what you say actually makes a lot of sense. I honestly would be totally cool with Ezio getting in but because Rayman is my most wanted character he's the one that I think should get in first. And hell, they did it for Banjo and Steve. Banjo was the more hardcore Smash fans pick and then Steve was the more casual appeal pick.
Except Steve was planned first with Banjo basically getting in because Sakurai and Nintendo thought "**** we're already dealing with Microsoft, might as well try asking now that we have this opportunity"

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To clarify: I'd rather Rayman first when it comes to Ubisoft. I like him, I played Rayman 2 and 3 back then, Rayman Origins is cool and Rayman Legends is a fantastic 2D platformer, better than any modern 2D Mario game if you ask me

About Banjo and Steve, true, but at the same time, well... Geno didn't get in before Cloud or Hero. I think it could go either way with Ubisoft at this point, though Ubi seems to prefer Rayman as their first character, at least based on what we know (them sending Nintendo a 3D model of Rayman in Smash 4)..

7NATOR

Smash Master
You Know

I think I Remember a Sentiment about how the Casual Player won't give a hoot about who the DLC Characters are, they'd just buy it anyway

But I do remember seeing a Comment about how People's more Casual Friends Had no idea who any of the DLC Characters were, until Steve Came along, and then they Got Excited to buy the DLC. So honestly perhaps the Casual Audience care more than Expected

I think Sakurai did have a statement in one his Books about there Appealing to wants to people that Don't Speak up. I assume Alot of the Casual Audience is like this, and they do have favorites they want to see, but They are not Hardcore enough to go advocate on the internet for their characters

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Except Steve was planned first with Banjo basically getting in because Sakurai and Nintendo thought "**** we're already dealing with Microsoft, might as well try asking now that we have this opportunity"
Um, Banjo was the character that released first, that means that Banjo was negotiated first. I'm sure that the fighter pass 2 characters were negotiated and developed after the final character of Fighter Pass 1 (which was Byleth) finished development.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Um, Banjo was the character that released first, that means that Banjo was negotiated first. I'm sure that the fighter pass 2 characters were negotiated and developed after the final character of Fighter Pass 1 (which was Byleth) finished development.
Not necessarily. We know Steve was negotiated 5 years ago.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
To clarify: I'd rather Rayman first when it comes to Ubisoft. I like him, I played Rayman 2 and 3 back then, Rayman Origins is cool and Rayman Legends is a fantastic 2D platformer, better than any modern 2D Mario game if you ask me

About Banjo and Steve, true, but at the same time, well... Geno didn't get in before Cloud or Hero. I think it could go either way with Ubisoft at this point, though Ubi seems to prefer Rayman as their first character, at least based on what we know (them sending Nintendo a 3D model of Rayman in Smash 4)..
Yeah and the Rayman twitter account told their followers to vote for Rayman on the Smash ballot back when that was around, but I have never seen any of the Assassin's Creed social medias drum up support for an Assassin to join.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On a Horror Rep, Hot Take, but Unless it's Nemesis (or Perhaps Mr.X as well) From Resident Evil, I Rather a FNAF Character be the Horror rep if we ever got one

FNAF Appeals to Kids, The Animatronics, the Thing that makes FNAF what it is, would undoubtedly be the pick unlike with Resident Evil where the Human Characters would be Picked. Also It is Iconic Franchise, that's also recent.
Because the "T" was capitalized I thought you were suggesting that the add The Thing for a second. lol

I actually disagree with the human characters of Resident Evil not being the most important part of the series. The whole point (at least for the earlier games) is survival. You have to manage your resources correctly in order to keep on living whereas the monsters are just the threat like in any other series. They might be more aesthetically interesting and more interesting ability wise, but I'd say the humans are more important to the series than them.

Again, my opinion. There was no reason for him to do this. It's not like he broke out in the Pokerap when Mewtwo was revealed. That would have actually been more relevant.
Naming all of the games in a series is infinitely more relevant to its history than naming every character. There was indeed reason for him to do it.

TLDR Saying Spring Man and Rex had the same situation as Byleth is very dishonest.
The heck it is! The games were freaking out by the time DLC was being considered. It is a blatant lie to say that they weren't eligible for it!

Slime Master

Smash Ace
There were many reasons that Byleth was a shill pick that angered people.

But... your premise is incorrect, regarding the last pick.
Unless you are stating that Byleth was never intended to be last, or that the second pass was always planned (either might be true, we will likely never know), then the last character was intended to be the last character, and Byleth was intended to be the last character.
I'm saying nobody ever thought "this is the last DLC character and it's Byleth." They were at one point planned to be the last character, but if you never had that moment there's no reason to be mad about that.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I was laughing my ass off when Byleth got revealed because I wasn't expecting him to be the last fighter of Vol. 1. and I thought his reveal trailer was pretty stupid. Also, I was one of those people who wanted Byleth, but I knew he'd be an instant salt generator. I got my cake and ate it while watching the world burn.
Terry Bogard was a Latin America pick.
Mexico isn't all of Latin America.
PapaGenos talks about that big old Capcom leak.
PapaGenos
Who cares?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just a head's up, apparently AOC has gotten leaked early, like every other Nintendo game this year. I haven't seen anything myself, but be on the lookout for spoilers.

Oh wait, I need to think of something Smash-related. Um... New Spirit Event tonight?

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Y'know, it's kind of funny when people say they want a character in Smash based on what they can do in a Dynasty Warriors spin-off. I think it mirrors quite well with how some people want a Pokemon based on what they can do in a Mystery Dungeon spin-off. There's nothing wrong with either. However, when people discuss "Koei Tecmo reps", those warrior games rarely come up and instead it's about **** like Atelier and Ninja Gaiden (or even actual Dynasty Warriors!)... just like how when people bring up "Spike Chunsoft reps", Mystery Dungeon rarely comes up and instead the discussion is usually about Danganronpa or, occasionally, Zero Escape.
I think it mostly has to do with those series being seen more as a genres rather than franchises. In some cases, people might not even know that those games aren't original spinoffs.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
We know for a fact Minecraft was planned to be in Smash since 2015 with Mojang themselves saying negotiations literally took 5 years.
Craig Duncan, head of Rare, said that Banjo in Smash was something Nintendo discussed in 2018. Minecraft just had a hell of a lot of negotiation issues
The heck it is! The games were freaking out by the time DLC was being considered. It is a blatant lie to say that they weren't eligible for it!
When did anyone mention Rex and Spring Man being illegible for DLC here? I'm saying the reason those two didn't make it in the base roster doesn't contradict Byleth's inclusion. Because again, the two situations are not the same at all

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the problem is A: Byleth was chosen in advance, so they came off as a walking ad for some instead of by their own merits, and B: We already had seven other Fire Emblem characters. Three Houses doing well and Byleth bringing the weapon triangle was ignored and they became a scapegoat for the issues with Fire Emblem's representation, when that dubious honor would go to Corrin, Chrom, and Lucina.
I also don't really think there's anything wrong with Chrom and Lucina. I think they're very smart choices for Echoes and play quite differently because of the lack of the whole tipper sweet spot system of Marth and Roy. Corrin is dubious yes, but happened to just be in a right spot at the right time. Byleth similarly, but their game did better than Corrin's.

I also don't think Fire Emblem has "too many" characters. Most other franchises safe for Mario and Pokémon have too little I feel. Smash in general could really boost up their veteran franchise representation, with notable absences of the following franchises; Donkey Kong Country, Legend of Zelda, Kirby and Xenoblade at the very minimum.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
We know for a fact Minecraft was planned to be in Smash since 2015 with Mojang themselves saying negotiations literally took 5 years.
Craig Duncan, head of Rare, said that Banjo in Smash was something Nintendo discussed in 2018. Minecraft just had a hell of a lot of negotiation issues

When did anyone mention Rex and Spring Man being illegible for DLC here? I'm saying the reason those two didn't make it in the base roster doesn't contradict Byleth's inclusion. Because again, the two situations are not the same at all
I definitely think that was more casual talk and contracts didn't actually get signed solidifying it until WAY later

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I'm over here wanting Kat from Gravity Rush in Smash, knowing damn well she would garner even worse reception than Byleth.

At least people would be exposed to Gravity Rush's AMAZING music. Gravity Rush 2 dethroned Mario Galaxy 2 and FE Awakening's soundtracks for me so that's saying a lot.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'd say most of it had to do with Moveset Complications and Implementation, but Rare wasn't lying when they Said Minecraft was the Gateway to Banjo in Smash

If there weren't any Complications, I'd guess that Banjo would be FP2 honestly, or maybe Base roster if they could somehow fit that, but I think Steve was meant to be added first

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses all did not exist by the time that base was locked in and thus could not be added at that time, but they did when DLC was locked in, so they could have been added then. They are the exact same situation. Soooooo
"We couldn't add these characters to the base roster, but we probably would have if they had existed. Sorry about that."
"Does that mean they can be DLC?"
"lol no. Here's what's probably the most controversial character that also fits this description instead."

I.D.

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
What Gwen is trying to get at is that Byleth was picked because he was intended to advertise the recently released 3H while the other 2 games were older. Of course since he would never admit that we end up with these strange overly verbose posts.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
What Gwen is trying to get at is that Byleth was picked because he was intended to advertise the recently released 3H while the other 2 games were older. Of course since he would never admit that we end up with these strange overly verbose posts.
W e l p

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I also don't really think there's anything wrong with Chrom and Lucina. I think they're very smart choices for Echoes and play quite differently because of the lack of the whole tipper sweet spot system of Marth and Roy. Corrin is dubious yes, but happened to just be in a right spot at the right time. Byleth similarly, but their game did better than Corrin's.

I also don't think Fire Emblem has "too many" characters. Most other franchises safe for Mario and Pokémon have too little I feel. Smash in general could really boost up their veteran franchise representation, with notable absences of the following franchises; Donkey Kong Country, Legend of Zelda, Kirby and Xenoblade at the very minimum.
My issue with them is largely because the 3DS games take up half of the playable FE reps, which I find to be rather awkward. There's also the fact that we only have seven Echoes, so they just get mixed in with everyone else because there's just so little of them. I also feel that Lucina is redundant due to just being Marth without the special Marth mechanic, and Chrom just feels empty without Roy's fire. Even if we make them more diverse, Awakening's representation is still lopsided.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
My issue with them is largely because the 3DS games take up half of the playable FE reps, which I find to be rather awkward. There's also the fact that we only have seven Echoes, so they just get mixed in with everyone else because there's just so little of them. I also feel that Lucina is redundant due to just being Marth without the special Marth mechanic, and Chrom just feels empty without Roy's fire. Even if we make them more diverse, Awakening's representation is still lopsided.
Robin really should have been the only Awakening rep. Chrom if they wanted an echo fighter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I definitely think that was more casual talk and contracts didn't actually get signed solidifying it until WAY later
You don't hold casual talks about something that big for years. Not to mention Rare themselves had this to say on how Banjo came to be

"Minecraft had paved the way for that relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft," Duncan recalls. "I met with Nintendo at the E3 before we announced it. And then we connected our teams, because we thought it seemed like a great opportunity.". This outright said Minecraft was the reason Banjo got in.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses all did not exist by the time that base was locked in and thus could not be added at that time, but they did when DLC was locked in, so they could have been added then. They are the exact same situation. Soooooo
Puppy, ARMS and XB2 weren't able to be on the project plan back in 2015. That literally doesn't say anything about DLC, people just read Sakurai say they were too new for the project plan and just concluded Sakurai was also talking about DLC, which isn't the case. Why weren't they in the first pass? Ask Nintendo cause we never got answers on that. Maybe they weren't considered at all, maybe Nintendo just wanted a 2019 game to be promoted, there's no reason there. The people complaining about 'hypocrisy' are complaining that Byleth shouldn't DLC because Byleth wasn't able to put on the base game's project plan in 2015 despite the first pass not being planned back in 2015 but years later, when it ended up fitting in the DLC's project plan. I genuinely don't get what's so hard to understand here, Byleth lucked out on timing for the DLC project plan, Rex and Spring Man didn't.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Iirc, it was actually Microsoft, not Nintendo who started the talks regarding Banjo. So I wonder if his inclusion was a bit of a contractual obligation regarding getting Steve in.

They may have just gone with Banjo first cuz A: "let's appease the fans", or B: Steve probably needed a lot more time in the oven with his moveset and the need to tweak every single stage, while in Banjo in comparison was probably pretty easy to develop. Was probably much easier to negotiate too.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Iirc, it was actually Microsoft, not Nintendo who started the talks regarding Banjo. So I wonder if his inclusion was a bit of a contractual obligation regarding getting Steve in.

They may have just gone with Banjo first cuz A: "let's appease the fans", or B: Steve probably needed a lot more time in the oven with his moveset and the need to tweak every sine stage along withit.
Yeah, as Steve was by far the most complex character ever to be made playable in Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also feel that Lucina is redundant due to just being Marth without the special Marth mechanic
If anything they need to buff Marth's tippers more so people have more of a reason to pick him.
Chrom just feels empty without Roy's fire
Even with Not-Aether?

SharkLord

Smash Hero

They may have just gone with Banjo first cuz A: "let's appease the fans", or B: Steve probably needed a lot more time in the oven with his moveset and the need to tweak every sine stage along withit.
My guess is that Banjo came first because Sakurai was still afraid that he didn't have what it took to pull off Steve, so Nintendo decided to make the most out of the Microsoft deal and get Banjo and Kazooie. Steve would be pushed back to after FP1, as Nintendo had a vague idea that more DLC would be coming. These post-FP1 concepts would eventually grow into FP2.
If anything they need to buff Marth's tippers more so people have more of a reason to pick him.

Even with Not-Aether?
Yeah, even with not-Aether. I'm mainly talking about Chrom's versions of the up smash and Flare Blade. It's clear they were meant to have the fire, but Chrom doesn't have fire so it's just a poor man's substitute. They could've made it blue fire to go with the Awakening Ritual or even just gave it a flashier effect. Roy just has a little extra oomph that Chrom lacks.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With Byleth I think the suspicion of FE favoritism by Sakurai/Nintendo is unfortunately always going to something associated with their inclusion and a possible belief that even if the timing of Xenoblade 2 and Three Houses' releases had been reversed that they still would have gotten in, convenience be dammed.

I'm not saying that's the case, but that some feel that way wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

They may have just gone with Banjo first cuz A: "let's appease the fans", or B: Steve probably needed a lot more time in the oven with his moveset and the need to tweak every single stage and such
Probably the later

And also if Microsoft did approach first, it Does Show one of the most important rules regarding 3rd parties: The 3rd party also needs to want their character in

I Mean of course Most companies would be down for their character in Smash, But I think Some companies behind the scenes are willing to make more sacrifices to get their character in Smash. Some are more Apathetic, especially if they really don't need Smash

Also on Fire Emblem, Unironically, I wouldn't mind if Marth Got cut next games in order for Lucina and Chrom to stay, if it came down to it for whatever reason

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The MCU is interconnected but that doesn't stop it from being a crossover when Iron Man, Cap, Thor and Hulk are together.
Funny how you specifically brought the MCU when Marvel in general has been that way ever since they first did Avengers comics in the early 60s.

These people being together in the same world is so common that it hardly feels like a "crossover" anymore.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Why weren't they in the first pass? Ask Nintendo cause we never got answers on that. Maybe they weren't considered at all, maybe Nintendo just wanted a 2019 game to be promoted, there's no reason there.
There is: Nintendo wanted "a character from a game people were playing at the time", explicitly stated by Sakurai himself in his Famitsu column about Byleth.

Btw "Sakurai's inner circles" has to be the funniest euphemism for "Nintendo mailed Sakurai a beta build of the game". Something we also know from Sakurai's mouth.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Funny how you specifically brought the MCU when Marvel in general has been that way ever since they first did Avengers comics in the early 60s.

These people being together in the same world is so common that it hardly feels like a "crossover anymore"
That didn't stop Infinity War and Endgame constantly being called the biggest crossovers of all time. But it still proves my point in that regard, it's still a bunch of seperate characters crossing over each other
With Byleth I think the suspicion of FE favoritism by Sakurai/Nintendo is unfortunately always going to something associated with their inclusion and a possible belief that even if the timing of Xenoblade 2 and Three Houses' releases had been reversed that they still would have gotten in, convenience be dammed.

I'm not saying that's the case but that some feeling that way wouldn't surprise me.
People claim all kinds of dumb ****. Back in Brawl, Sakurai was accused of showing too much favouritism to Star Fox. When Smash 4 came along, Sakurai was accused of hating Star Fox.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
People claim all kinds of dumb ****. Back in Brawl, Sakurai was accused of showing too much favouritism to Star Fox. When Smash 4 came along, Sakurai was accused of hating Star Fox.
Which is of course an utterly ridiculous claim to believe.

After all given his decision making with the franchise, its clearly Miyamoto who hates Star Fox. 😉

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That... Simply just happens. Look at Zelda for example. Even with Smash Ultimate, Ocarina of Time has the most characters by far; Young Link, Sheik and Ganondorf. In Brawl and Smash 4 it was the Twilight Princess cast, and Melee had literally everyone from Ocarina of Time. Then there's also the overload of Generation 1 Pokémon in Smash, with Lucario, Incineroar and Greninja as sole exceptions.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That didn't stop Infinity War and Endgame constantly being called the biggest crossovers of all time.
Marketing is really good, not gonna lie.

But it still proves my point in that regard, it's still a bunch of seperate characters crossing over each other
That's fair, especially with the sheer scope of the movies. But I'd also say that the MCU is on a league of its own and would definitely not be comparable to the roster of Age of Calamity.

With that said...

Geese Howard was in Art of Fighting as they're still the same world but that didn't stop it from being a crossover either.
Art of Fighting is a direct prequel to Fatal Fury. It's not really a "crossover" at this point more than it is a proof that the two franchises are indeed connected as part of a single story.

What's next? Tiki in Awakening means the game is actually a crossover to Shadow Dragon and Mystery? Despite the fact that it's very clear Awakening happens several centuries after the events of the two Marth games in the same world as those games?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom