• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The closest thing that I know of to a male centric magical girl series are Tokusatsu series like Kamen Rider, Ultraman or Super Sentai but even then that is only by definition they have none of the aesthetics that come with Magical Girl shows.

Most of the time

More👏Male👏Magical👏Girls
This post is reminding me I need to catch up on Kiramager by like 20 episodes lmao. KirameiYellow for Smash to rep Gamers
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'd post a gif of this but the site refuses to let me upload it

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nor incorrect.
Also true.

I'm tired of that bull****.
It has some merit, but I think making sure the characters are properly portrayed is more important. And besides, it's not like Ganondorf is ever going to not be the most powerful character in the game. That's the part they got right.

Honestly, while I think a rework of the cast members that need it would result in most of them getting a deeper and/or more complicated kit rather than their actual playstyle changing more often than not.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Arle and Sakura while not being textbook Magical Girls have similar vibes
Well there's Kurara from Power Instinct which is basically another SEGA character as result of Atlus ownership but that series is way too obscure at this point.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So what's the Likelihood we get Another RPG Character this Pass?
pretty certain. what kind of rpg rep we're getting tho is anyone's guess

it could be another turn based rpg character (like Hero), tactical RPG (like Byleth), genre-hybrid (like Joker) or... we've yet to get a pure action RPG rep just sayin'

7NATOR

Smash Master
I do think it's weird that the one RPG Genre that has the most Action (Action RPG) and would Fit Smash the Best, Doesn't actually have a Character in the Game yet. It is weird

KillerCage

Smash Master
Hopefully pretty high.
pretty certain. what kind of rpg rep we're getting tho is anyone's guess

it could be another turn based rpg character (like Hero), tactical RPG (like Byleth), genre-hybrid (like Joker) or... we've yet to get a pure action RPG rep just sayin'
AHEM!

1605483898859.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I once lived in a world where I didn't think it was possible for Young Link and Toon Link to return in the same game.

I'm happy that Ultimate proved me wrong in the end.
I was happy to be proven right that Pichu could come back buffed.

Just wish they didn't go overkill on nerfs just because edgelords were merely mad about it being S tier and not about actually fighting it

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Does anyone know another fighting game where I can do this? Especially if I can be Sailor Moon v Cardcaptor Sakura v Madoka Magica v Precure.
Many, many years ago, probably around mid 2000's, I found an odd game, a doujinsoft, called Magical Chaser: Stardust of Dreams, which was a fighting game featuring some anime magical girls as the cast. The game itself was extremely funny and decent (not sure if it was based on MUGEN or completely original), the pixel art was nice... aside of that I don't know anything else, but I know that Stardust of Dreams was a sequel to the original Magical Chaser, that was a bit more rough but featured some different characters including Kukuri from Mahoujin Guru Guru (as a fan of Guru Guru I searched for that game for a while but sadly I have never been able to find it).

Else, if you don't really care of it being a fighting game, I suggest you Twinkle Star Sprites, it's a Neo Geo game that got ported on a few other consoles as well, and it features a magical girl as the main character. The game is incredibly creative and fun, it's a competitive shooter/puzzle game hybrid and I think it's a very underrated hidden gem. Despite it being based on the style of a magical girl anime, it also features a decent amount of male characters as well.

Sora is not a magical boy, he's just a boy who uses magic.
Yeah, I saw that episode of Precure. I just wish the sexism present in the genre didnt relegate any magical boy into becoming a super sentei, instead.
Well... I didn't watch many magical girl shows but I definitely watched some (Ojamajo Doremi, Minky Momo, probably some random episodes of a few other stuff), and I think that when done right, the format can be enjoyable; though I'm also a bit annoyed that most of those shows tend to be too much focused on a cast of female-only protagonists and designed with only the female audience in mind (and in some cases, when they care of the male audience, the do it in the worst possible way, through fanservice - luckily not the case in the two shows I mentioned, but I know that some others are definitely full of it). I mean, those shows are usually about teaching life lessons, and usually the main characters use their powers to help other people... I don't think that it's required for the main characters to be all female at any cost; I think that those shows should be aimed at everyone and not just girls, since they can be educative for the kids, and usually the anime aimed at boys focus more on the competition aspect with only some cheesy references at the themes of friendship and teamwork at times (I'm generalizing a lot to give an idea BTW, I know there are likely a lot of exceptions).
I don't have any problems with female protagonists but I definitely prefer mixed casts of protagonists over all-female or all-male.

Probably the closest thing to a male version of a magical girl anime is Doraemon (it's not quite the same thing though, it's only vaguely similar on surface level), while in gaming, the closest thing (setting-wise, not character-wise), I think it's the side-missions of Majora's Mask... I know it seems odd but I think that getting into the everyday life of all the people of Clock Town and solving their problems through the hero's magical powers, in a way fits the format regardless of Link being a boy.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Mech/toku are the male equivalent of Magical girl Anime

They both come from same family tree as well
(Ishinomori, Tezuka, Nagai,etc)

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Steven Universe is the lead of a Magical Girl show and has magic powers too.

Does that count? :ultkirby:

I was happy to be proven right that Pichu could come back buffed.

Just wish they didn't go overkill on nerfs just because edgelords were merely mad about it being S tier and not about actually fighting it
Same here on both accounts.

Pichu was and always will be awesome, nonetheless.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

SNEKeater

Smash Master
High. It's curious because I'd actually bet money on Pass 2 having at least 1 RPG character.
It's a big genre, popular in Japan, and there are a good amount of franchises with different fanbases, each one with their own merits. Not having at least one RPG fighter in the Pass would be really surprising for me.

He would actually be very interesting moveset wise.

Also Noctis was one of the best things in FFXV, like he might look like your typical edgy boy but that's far from the reality

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
imagine the licensing hell
Honestly, I don't think it's that bad, Namco owns the game rights to just about every Shonen Jump property except Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragon Quest: Dai's Adventure, and Shaman King, and those first two only require negotiations with Square Enix and Konami.

Shaman King is probably a lost cause, though.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's true, she said it herself in this very not edited screenshot
View attachment 291953
This is an actual leaked screenshot of the upcoming Switch version of the Trails in the Sky trilogy, planned to be announced soon.

Nintendo ninjas are in their way to your home. It was a pleasure to meet you.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly, I don't think it's that bad, Namco owns the game rights to just about every Shonen Jump property except Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragon Quest: Dai's Adventure, and Shaman King, and those first two only require negotiations with Square Enix and Konami.

Shaman King is probably a lost cause, though.
Shonen Jump vs Capcom (pls)
Even better. Super Smash Bros. vs. Jump Stars.

Think of all the cool rivalries too.

Captain Falcon (F-Zero) vs. Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)
Theme: Bounty Hunters

Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong) vs. Kondou Isao (Gintama)
Theme: Gorillas

Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda) vs. Dio Brando (Jojo's Bizarre Adventures)
Theme: Unkillable Antagonists

Isaac (Golden Sun) vs. Gaara (Naruto)
Theme: Earthly Fighters

King Dedede (Kirby) vs. Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
Theme: Trolling With The Audience

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) vs. Blackbeard (One Piece)
Theme: Evil Pirates

Kirby (Kirby) vs. Toriko (Toriko)
Theme: Big Eaters

Link (The Legend of Zelda) vs. Jotaro Kujo (JoJo's Bizarre Adventures)
Theme: Silent Protagonists

Max Brass (ARMS) vs. All-Might (My Hero Academia)
Theme: Inspirational Heroes

Medusa (Kid Icarus) vs. Orochimaru (Naruto)
Theme: Serpentine Antagonists

Mewtwo (Pokemon) vs. Cell (Dragon Ball Z)
Theme: Ultimate Lifeform

Meta Knight (Kirby) vs. Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach)
Theme: Honorable Rivals

Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto) vs. Greninja (Pokemon)
Theme: Ninjas

Ness (EarthBound) vs. Gon Freecss (HunterxHunter)
Theme: Adventurous Kids

Palutena (Kid Icarus) vs. Saori Kido (Saint Seiya)
Theme: Divine Mentors

Pikachu (Pokemon) vs. Killua Zoldyck (HunterxHunter)
Theme: Electric Fighters

Pit (Kid Icarus) vs. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya)
Theme: Gods Chosen Champions

Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon) vs. Yugi Moto/Yami Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
Theme: Summoners

Ridley (Metroid) vs. Frieza (Dragon Ball Z)
Theme: Genocidal Aliens

Spring Man (ARMS) vs. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
Theme: Stretchy Fighters

Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) vs. Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)
Theme: Samurais

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
this RPG breakdown is some intense hair splitting.
Eh, you could argue that they're all RPGs since you know...they are, but they are still very different games, hence the need for the subgenres.

Honestly, I'd say that action RPGs need subgenres if Xenoblade Chronicles, Skyrim, Dark Souls, and Final Fantasy VII Remake all count as action RPGs.

Doesn't Rex count as an ARPG rep as well?
Yes, but it was in refute to the claim that we didn't have any action RPG characters.

Also Rex was mentioned really quickly.

SKX31

Smash Master
It has some merit, but I think making sure the characters are properly portrayed is more important. And besides, it's not like Ganondorf is ever going to not be the most powerful character in the game. That's the part they got right.

Honestly, while I think a rework of the cast members that need it would result in most of them getting a deeper and/or more complicated kit rather than their actual playstyle changing more often than not.
IMHO it makes way more sense when considering that Nintendo wants the new Smash game to be the definitive one everyone plays (and Sakurai shares this view to a certain extent IIRC).

“First, the community themselves need to rally around a particular title,” Reggie said. “We had some Melee players get their hands on the game, and they were quite excited — we could see a consolidation of Smash play, competitive play, behind Ultimate, which in our view would be fantastic. Because what that would then enable us to do is again, standardize the rules of play, make sure that the setups, the wired controllers, all of that is there, so that there’s no more excuses. There’s no Johns!”
And not just for pure sales numbers: Nintendo has a history of focusing around the latest mainline entry of a series.

I don't entirely agree re: reworking characters neccessarily mean making characters more complicated. Toon Link getting Pegasus Boots could result in a straightforward horizontal dash, and that alone would change how Toon Link plays just to name a hypotheoretical example.

And I have no real opinions on the RPG protag thing, sooo....

I just found this

I have to tag Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium

Sgt. Cortez in Smash confirmed.
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Given it's the most prominent genre in the game, and we got 4/7 in Smash 4 DLC and 3/5 in FP1--- I'd assume we are getting at least one.
I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Isn’t Shulk an ARPG rep? What the hell y’all on about?
Sorta? It depends on if you're going for full control or partial control. Xenoblade feels more like a real-time RPG than a full-on action RPG, due to the auto-attack system. You can move your character around a little and use their Arts if they're not on a cooldown, but you don't get to actively attack. Then again, I'm not sure if that's a subgenre of action RPG or it's own thing.
We talking about the next Action RPG character? Well I'm going to mention Adol before SharkLord SharkLord gets the chance to appear.
Impressive. For this, I grant you the Adol Car award.
AdolCar.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom