• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Ok, off topic but related at the same time? Why do you guys think that if the character can't get in as a fighter or even a mii costume have to boil down to being a spirit??? I mean since when do we get a spirit event for Tekken because of Heihachi and No More Heroes because Travis, the only character that gets a spirit event is literally Cuphead, and that is because they wanted to show that buying the costume could change the fighter for the spirit you fight.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If a GTA character got in I think it would be CJ because he is arguably the most Iconic character
But the Ideal one would be each costume is a different character.
-CJ
-Trevor
-Michael
-Franklin
-Niko Bellic
-Tommy Vercetti
-Huang Lee
-Claude

Ok, off topic but related at the same time? Why do you guys think that if the character can't get in as a fighter or even a mii costume have to boil down to being a spirit??? I mean since when do we get a spirit event for Tekken because of Heihachi and No More Heroes because Travis, the only character that gets a spirit event is literally Cuphead, and that is because they wanted to show that buying the costume could change the fighter for the spirit you fight.
It's as simple as "Why would they add new content from this series separately rather than with a character?"
The spirit thing is weird, Nintendo is just wacky, I am starved for new spirit events.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I would agree we’re not getting 4 more AAA series fighters, I would say we can’t really know how much they cost or what Nintendo’s “budget” is.

Speculating the budget would be, like, beyond speculation. There’s literally nothing to work with.

Also, they licensed Street Fighter AND Final Fantasy VII in the same pass for Wii U, two of the largest media franchises in the industry...so I’d probably only half agree with the budget becoming a problem.

EDIT: To add onto that, Minecraft is leaps and bounds ahead of series like Crash Bandicoot or Devil May Cry in terms of size/influence. If that has any affect on licensing costs among those three series I’d say they’re not comparable.

But I don’t have much of an idea of what licensing costs are.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If a GTA character got in It would almost certainly be CJ because he is arguably the most Iconic character
But the Ideal one would be each costume is a different character.
-CJ
-Trevor
-Michael
-Franklin
-Niko Bellic
-Tommy Vercetti
-Huang Lee
-Claude
Not too familiar with the series, thought Trevor was the most iconic apparently.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Not too familiar with the series, thought Trevor was the most iconic apparently.
San Andreas gained infamy by getting the US government involved which then got people interested and it then led to it selling like hotcakes
GTA V is just carried momentum from San Andreas and GTA IV and that game made metric tons of dosh making it literally the second best selling game of all time.

That is why It was arguable

7NATOR

Smash Master
Honestly it's hard to judge. GTAV is one of the biggest Game ever so I would imagine at that Point that the 3 Protags (Micheal, Franklin, and Trevor) are Definitly up there, and argueably the most Iconic. I think Trevor gets the most talk because he's the most Psychotic and the one most like the Average GTA Players (who like to kill people and do Destructive things. I'm apart of that audience when I ever Play GTA)

However San Andreas is Also very Big, and probably the most Memeable as well. Along with that, because Especally back then, there weren't too many Black Characters in the Fore Front, CJ Stands out in that aspects

GTA 4, and Vice City are also Very Popular Games, So Niko and Tommy Vercetti are also up there, Niko More So though. GTA 3 is the game that established the 3D Era, but Claude is mostly a Slient Protagnist, so I don't think he's as big as the Other Characters talked about above

China Wars is a game I don't think Alot of people don't know about, So Huang is kind of niche as a Protag

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Jumping on the Sony question last minute. If for some reason Sony agrees to a slot in smash I have a hard time seeing anyone else besides Kratos or Ratchet and Clank

But If I could wish for one I'd go with Kat, Sly Cooper or Cole MacGrath.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Since :ultsteve: was likely the biggest sales wise/impact game in the DLC, it'd be nice if we get lesser impactful games or more obscure characters. However as every character likely has a fanbase how does one define "obscure"?

As for Sony... don't really know their games at all to make judgment.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
At this rate, the only way Kat could get into Smash is if Sony randomly decided to sell off their Japanese IPs. Which isn't TOO likely, but given their increased emphasis on the Western market, I don't think it's necessarily an "out there" idea. Though again, it's not likely.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
As someone who grew playing Ratchet & Clank I think it would fit perfectly into Smash juuust right. I think from design perspective is more appealing and the unique moveset that they have, with their wide variety of weird and wacky weapon, could make for a very fun moveset. I also think Kratos has a chance but I kinda doubt it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At this rate, the only way Kat could get into Smash is if Sony randomly decided to sell off their Japanese IPs. Which isn't TOO likely, but given their increased emphasis on the Western market, I don't think it's necessarily an "out there" idea. Though again, it's not likely.
Man I just want Ape Escape back... 🥺

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
In terms of a GTA rep, I think CJ as the main character with three GTA V protagonists as alts would be the most likely outcome. Sakurai tends to skew more towards classic content when adding content from third-party franchises for whatever reason (unless your name is Persona, in which case you take almost exclusively from the latest entry), so I think he'd aim more for GTA's beginnings, but Rockstar would undoubtedly want V to be the main focus of a Smash Bros pass. I imagine this breakdown would work best.

Granted, that also assumes there's no GTA VI coming, but I feel like I'm making a safe bet in assuming that's not going down the pipeline for a while.

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
Chris Seavor said he would come back to voice Conker if Conker was to join Smash so Conker may join in the future. If Capcom and Konami can each have 3 reps, Microsoft can too.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Chris Seavor said he would come back to voice Conker if Conker was to join Smash so Conker may join in the future. If Capcom and Konami can each have 3 reps, Microsoft can too.
To be fair one of Capcom and Konami’s respective three reps each is an echo

which begs the question, will we see a non-echo third party newcomer to make three characters for that company? I.e. Bayonetta, Sonic and Arle for Sega; or Cloud, Hero and Neku for Square Enix?

counting Joker separately even though Atlus is technically owned by Sega

actually if you count Joker as Sega we already have three non-Echo reps for a company soooo I kinda answered my own question 😅

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You know, Among Sony Franchises, Why is Gravity Rush the more common Sony Request, even comparing to the likes of Kratos in requests of Sony Characters
I think she overlaps more with Nintendo's demographics, which generally skew towards more cartoony graphics (Both goofy cartoons and anime). There's also the unique gameplay, which basically boils down to:

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I strongly feel like were going to get a fighter from a series that's not as big as what we had before. Like someone from Disgaea. I don't know why but I got this odd gut feeling that Disgaea is a possibility.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I strongly feel like were going to get a fighter from a series that's not as big as what we had before. Like someone from Disgaea. I don't know why but I got this odd gut feeling that Disgaea is a possibility.
We’ve been talking Ys for a while now and I feel like Falcom is the dark horse this time around. It’ll catch everyone not in deep speculation off guard but Falcom is a legendary Japanese studio who have been around since 1981. Disgae is a possibility I agree but, as you said, Falcom is just a gut feeling for me. They’re like SNK a character that, once they get in, will just feel... right.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I like Disgaea but Laharl isn't one of my go to picks and honestly I am not that enthused about the prospect of a Disgaea character, That opinion would 100% change if we get a remix of Lord Laharl's Hymn

My pick for obscurity is of course the Trails series, It's by Falcom who is an old Japanese company with pretty decent popularity and Trails tends to do the best for Falcom financially and sales wise

Also it has a godly soundtrack:

I can and will shill for Trails at any possible moment

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
-Vergeben said there was going to be an Enderdragon boss fight, I sure remember fighting that /s
I mean, there IS. He's just played by Ridley.

If It's Just Trevor, My Friend will be Very salty
There's no way.

Being a mass muderer is one thing. Trevor is a rapist drug addict.

Japan removes actors from video games about crime because they smoked some pot.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Vergeben: Leaks the majority of the game with near perfect accuracy throughout smash’s development

Also Vergeben: misses the fact that Ender Dragon wasn’t a physical boss fight in the game but was still referenced as the boss fight

Smash fanbase: see guys. Vergeben was wrong about everything.

Edit: not trying to pick on anyone specifically because believe ME this has happened time and time again in this fanbase.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We’ve been talking Ys for a while now and I feel like Falcom is the dark horse this time around. It’ll catch everyone not in deep speculation off guard but Falcom is a legendary Japanese studio who have been around since 1981. Disgae is a possibility I agree but, as you said, Falcom is just a gut feeling for me. They’re like SNK a character that, once they get in, will just feel... right.
I got into Ys about a month before the the Trails ports gave the Falcom leak more attention, so I can officially say I liked Adol before he was cool:4pacman:

I don't actually have any ill will towards those who just hopped on now; Then I'd be hating everyone I won over with the Adol writeup
Vergeben: Leaks the majority of the game with near perfect accuracy throughout smash’s development

Also Vergeben: misses the fact that Ender Dragon wasn’t a physical boss fight in the game but was still referenced as the boss fight

Smash fanbase: see guys. Vergeben was wrong about everything.

Edit: not trying to pick on anyone specifically because believe ME this has happened time and time again in this fanbase.
I don't think we should dismiss everything he's done, but either he missed the mark on Steve or he heard the negotiations that would only bear fruit now and ran with it. Basically, he got some things right, but his track record isn't spotless and his word isn't the gospel.

But I think we already knew that, really.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The thing about Falcom for me is that when Terry got revealed, I was at least a part of the vague niche group that knew and grew up with SNK games.

I knew nothing about Falcom's existence until last month. :mybodyisreggie:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Sony rep?
I would choose Kratos probably. I feel like he's more suitable than characters like Nathan Drake or Aloy and GoW is in top 3 of the most important Sony series right now

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sony rep?
I would choose Kratos probably. I feel like he's more suitable than characters like Nathan Drake or Aloy and GoW is in top 3 of the most important Sony series right now
something something "violent video game bad"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom