• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I wouldn’t count that ad personally, only if he appears in a POTD or gameplay part of a character’s trailer

like I said I recall them holding off on showing the Spring Man AT in POTDs or trailers until Min Min’s trailer
Is there any official statement that they held back, or did he simply not appear at all? And if it's the latter, what's your reasoning on why they wouldn't show Spring Man prior to Min Min's announcement? I don't really see a connection here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is there any official statement that they held back, or did he simply not appear at all? And if it's the latter, what's your reasoning on why they wouldn't show Spring Man prior to Min Min's announcement? I don't really see a connection here.
It was the latter, and they DID show Spring Man’s face during the initial ARMS guessing game in March, implying him being the ARMS rep was a possibility.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Pretty certain Rex's mii costume was decided on before they knew they were making vol 2.

At that point, pass one was probably considered the be all end all and they likely decided to throw in the Rex costume as a bit of an honorable mention. Like a "If we had more characters, he probably would've been one of em" sort of deal

On the other end of things, I'm willing to bet vol 2 wasn't greenlit until they saw the success of Ultimate itself + pass 1. Long after his mii costume was already "solidified".

In that case, I still think he has a decent shot regardless of current status. If they're cool with pedaling back on Min Min despite her status as a spirit (which is still being featured in spirit events, mind you), I'm confident Rex is still viable, regardless of his mii costume.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Watch as it’s Zeke :awesome:

No seriously I unironically want the Zekenator. Plus he’s popular. Probably more popular than Rex if I had to guess
If we were to include a XC2 character based off their popularity, we'd have Pyra/Mythra. Might as well throw in Rex due to his association with them.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
It was the latter, and they DID show Spring Man’s face during the initial ARMS guessing game in March, implying him being the ARMS rep was a possibility.
Right but like, why would they hold back on him? What makes that not a coincidence? I just don't get why not showing him in POTDs is an indicator of anything, since the assist trophy had already been in the game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be totally honest though, a lot of those situations making those characters impossible are weak.
I'm inclined to agree. While some of them are a bit subjective as to how much the point really matters (for example, Mortal Kombat's lack of exposure could be seen as either something to avoid or an opportunity to introduce the game to Japan), but others like the too revealing argument don't really hold much weight, as the one instance where this was an issue kind of seems circumstantial.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
ORAS added no new Pokemon, and LGPE only added Melmetal who I couldn't see get in. Rex has no chance. He is a DLC Mii Fighter costume, and I honestly think that they would pull a Min Min and pick a different XC2 character.
That doesn't work because Rex is the clear main character of Xenoblade 2. It's not like ARMS where there's no story mode and basically everyone is of exact prominence in game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In my mind only paid 3rd party Mii costumes disconfirm because of the negotiation involved. 1st party characters, Nintendo can do as they please with them, outside of the Pokemon Company's esoteric demands (No Pikachu Yarn Yoshi for us.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think people who are looking for characters who don't appear in PotDs or Spirit Events are overanalyzing.

Stuff like this is derived from content already in Smash. How would showing Spring Man in a PotD or including Min Min in a Spirit Event harm their hypothetical reveal?
I wasn’t counting Spirits from the base game appearing in events and still don’t

KillerCage

Smash Master
...I mean, the Rex Mii costume is a part of FP1 and an incentive to purchase the pass, so I don't know why they wouldn't draw some attention to it.

Not sure if it's really a huge blow to him being a character in this pass or not.
That's the big question regarding Rex's chances getting into Smash Ultimate: does his Mii costume bundled with Fighters' Pass 1 disqualify him?
Personally I think is safe since that Mii Costume was available at Ultimate's launch essentially base game content made into DLC.
Then again, such a thing happened already with Roy.
That's due to unfortunate circumstances and hasn't been repeated since.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
That doesn't work because Rex is the clear main character of Xenoblade 2. It's not like ARMS where there's no story mode and basically everyone is of exact prominence in game.
Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Max Brass, and Dr. Coyle clearly had more prominence than anyone. It's just that there was no clear "protagonist".

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Max Brass, and Dr. Coyle clearly had more prominence than anyone. It's just that there was no clear "protagonist".
Well, yes. That's what I meant. Those characters were more prominent in terms of marketing, but again, there's no story mode that truly establishes Spring Man to be the main character, it's a multiplayer focused game with an ensemble cast. It's not like Xenoblade 2 which is a story based RPG with Rex as the clear cut main character of the story.

There was that ARMS comic with Spring Man as the lead that was supposed to come out, but who knows what happened to that lol

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well, yes. That's what I meant. Those characters were more prominent in terms of marketing, but again, there's no story mode that truly establishes Spring Man to be the main character, it's a multiplayer focused game with an ensemble cast. It's not like Xenoblade 2 which is a story based RPG with Rex as the clear cut main character of the story.

There was that ARMS comic with Spring Man as the lead that was supposed to come out, but who knows what happened to that lol
I'd like to make it clear that in-game lore and presentation makes it obvious who is of importance in the ARMS universe. I have a feeling I'll be saying this for years and years and years for those who never got into the series. It goes deeper than just marketing.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd like to make it clear that in-game lore and presentation makes it obvious who is of importance in the ARMS universe. I have a feeling I'll be saying this for years and years and years for those who never got into the series. It goes deeper than just marketing.
There isn't much to it though. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl and now Min Min are the mascots, and Dr. Coyle is the main villain who has ties to a bunch of the cast members. There's still not a clear protagonist though, which is part of why Min Min was able to be picked.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
There's just this myth that there is nothing in-game to imply anyone has more signifigance than anyone else which is not true. I always try to dispell that myth.

I understand that ARMS is young and does not have a story with a centralized character, allowing Min Min leeway into the fighter of choice. But this came at the cost of creating a myth that there's nothing going on in the ARMS universe and Spring Man was "just the guy on the box".

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Will say it’s a bit weird we have no real Level-5 content in Smash yet, depending on if you count DQVIII as technically Level-5

given their current situation though... I wouldn’t count on any Level-5 content being added sadly

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Will say it’s a bit weird we have no real Level-5 content in Smash yet, depending on if you count DQVIII as technically Level-5

given their current situation though... I wouldn’t count on any Level-5 content being added sadly
Thanks for kicking me while im already down with info I already know and believe

I still really hope Layton shows up somehow, spirit, mii, idc

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't really think so, as XC2 is no longer the hot new game with XCDE now out and the possibility of a DE for X too.
Even so, XC2 is still the latest "generation" of Xenoblade, with the most latest characters, world etc. I doubt remakes or remasters would shift the focus of that, especially as XC2 was the game that put XC on the map and sold the best - and still keeps on selling, its legs this year are better than XCDE it looks like despite being an older game.

I think it's fairly reasonable to think that adding Rex in Smash has some potential in it. If ARMS was revisited, why not XC2. Regarding Monolith Soft's future projects, I would kinda expect to see that medieval fantasy game teased a while back, and maybe a port of XCX, before XC3 personally, so Rex feeling "old" wouldn't really be a thing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’d be really surprised if we don’t get a Spirit Event of literally any level 5 franchise, even Yokai Watch or something

the dream is Dark Cloud content but since that series was exclusive to the PlayStation 2 and has been basically dead since then... :c

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well here's a hypothetical question to break up the monotony a little bit.

For Sony owned/exclusive characters, which fighter would bring the most interesting moveset, stage, music, or spirits? And which would be the most novel in terms of impact on the public?
Warning: long-ass post incoming

Moveset wise? There are a good amount of options.
- Kratos. The why is obvious. Countless weapons, different abilities, protagonist from an heavy action game...
They would probably just focus on the blades, which would be totally unique in Smash, and the blades are enough to pull off a cool moveset. Plus Kratos is super strong, he could also fight with his fists without a problem. They could also give him his Leviathan axe from the latest game, which is basically Mjölnir but with ice properties, and that is cool as ****. The thing is, young Kratos doesn't use the axe and I'd guess that version of the character would be prioritized, so giving him the axe from the last game wouldn't be accurate AT ALL. But Smash sometimes is like that, so who knows.
If they decided to focus in old Kratos, they could even throw Atreus in his moveset lol

- Kat. Her gravity powers are enough to make an interesting moveset. Though I feel it would be kind of hard to properly add her, to be honest. Gravity Rush 2 also gave her more battle abilities, I don't remember the names but she had a heavy style of combat and a fast one, which could also work for Smash. Maybe even her cat could aid her in some of her moves.

- Ratchet & Clank. Ratchet has like 237238 weapons across the series. That + Clank unique abilities, makes him a character with vast gameplay options.

Some honorable mentions: Infamous protagonists and their different powers, Aloy, Patapon character, the Hunter from Bloodborne...

Stages. This is even harder, I think. So many good options:
- God of War, due to it's setting, could offer multiple cool options. The classic games have a lot of great locations, same goes for the 2018 game. I was mainly thinking of a stage based in God of War 3 intro, which is pretty epic and has a lot of gods and titans involved, which could appear in the background fighting each other.

- Bloodborne, with a Yharnam stage. The setting alone makes it a worthy option.

- The Last of Us. I think they could pull off a cool stage for the series, even if almost all locations are pretty much realistic. I was thinking in stage with a big focus in the infecteds, and assuming it wouldn't be a problem for CERO, I believe it could be a nice option.

- An stage based on ICO / Shadow of the Colossus / The Last Guardian. One of those 3 options. Shadow of the Colossus has probably the most catchy locations, but ICO and Last Guardian also had fantastic locations. Maybe even a stage based on the 3 games... the architecture in all 3 games is pretty similar, so with some creative freedom, I think it could be possible.

- Ratchet and Clank stage. I mean in each game the duo has visited like 8 or 9 new planets. There's massive potential with a Ratchet and Clank stage. But it would probably be a Metropolis stage.

- Lastly but not less important and lowkey the best option, a Wipeout stage. Some could argue that would be kind of redundant because we have F-Zero stages, but Wipeout has an unique personality. Playing in a Wipeout inspired stage while listening to Wipeout music sounds perfect to me:

Honorable mentions: a Death Stranding stage could be cool, specially if the BTs were a big part of said stage. Gravity Rush stage or an Ape Escape stage sounds cool as well. Oh, a Journey stage would also be a fantastic concept.

Music is a hard one as well. Not gonna write much about this because this post would be super long if I keep like this, but all the series I mentioned so far have pretty much fantastic music, each one in it's own way.
For Smash tho, I think some of the more fitting options would be God of War (The End Begins, Deliverance), Shadow of the Colossus (The Opened Way, A Despair-Filled Farewell) or Wipeout. I think Uncharted as well, the series has a really good soundtrack (Nate's Theme, Cut to the Chase).
Though I'd also love to hear remixes for songs like Old Town from Gravity Rush, You Were There from ICO or the Main Theme from Horizon: Zero Dawn.

As for spirits, well, I think almost any franchise works for that as long they have around 8-10 good options for spirits.

If I had to pick one, I'd honestly go with Kratos. Not gonna deny that I'm biased here, but overall he feels as one of the best options, if not the best one, if we're looking for a balance in all the aspects we're discussing.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Since I noticed people talking about Yo-kai Watch, I figured I'd share this video for those less informed about the series:

Should probably mention that I'm pretty sure this was made by proper Yo-kai Watch fans, so there may be some slight bias in a few of the things said here.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom