• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What I wonder about Ryu H. is how his physics in Smash would contrast with Shiek and Greninja.

I've only played the NES trilogy so I definitely don't have the full picture, but would Ryu be faster? Would his jump height be higher? Would he fall faster?

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I would rather Kasumi from DOA. and a DW rep then Ryu. He is a bland ninja from a try-hard series that did nothing but bring out some of the worst in gamers and the "dark souls get gud" culture that dominated and destroyed a good portion of gaming for a few years. I hate that character. absolutely.
Like I said earlier, it's OK to not like the character. But to downplay the series as a whole due to personal bias isn't good. Again, take it from someone who doesn't like Steve. I didn't want to see him in the roster due to my dislike of Minecraft, it's just not my kind of game. That doesn't mean I didn't respect Minecraft for it's impact on the indie scene.

You say "this is bias" but you yourself just showcased plenty of bias in your hatred towards Hayabusa. Even if Hayabusa is a "bland ninja", the impact he's had on video game ninjas is undeniable as he is one of the very first characters people think of when they think "video game ninja" and to some, even ninja's in general. Also to the "Get Good" culture, Dark Souls is the one that pioneered it and Ninja Gaiden wasn't one of the originators nor among the first to do this. Ghost N Goblins, Contra, Mega Man, Zelda II, Castlevania and even others like Metroid, Punch-Out and Metal Gear all came out before the very first Ninja Gaiden. They are very hard games, no doubt. But they didn't create that culture nor was it one of the first ones to show it.

Again, it's OK to not like the character. That's fine and that's your opinion. But to downplay the franchise as unimportant and try-hard isn't a good idea because it makes you look uninformed.

Shroob

Sup?
I’m bored so I’m going to rank the still-standing rumors (I.e. no definite evidence to confirm or deny them) by how likely they are to be true. For reference, https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_rumors (also the Falcom rumor isn’t there yet, anyone wanna add it)?

Cacomallow: most likely false. the timer doesn’t look the same as the debug timer in the infamous Ken leak; the video uses an already existing stage (Hero’s stage) instead of potentially showing an upcoming one; several modders have shown it’s possible to replicate the physics of the Mallow hat; and it is just overall highly doubtful they’d beta test two hats almost a whole year in advance; especially when we already have a Bethesda costume (Vault Boy). Some French discord modders claimed to take credit, claiming to create “Grinch 2.0” but this statement cannot be verified. Regardless, the statement isn’t even that necessary when the time frame alone makes this very unlikely.

Crash Bandicoot documents: indeterminate. it hints at a five year plan for Crash based media across multiple systems, including Switch and PC. Switch ports have happened, Crash 4 was announced, but without actual access to it, we can’t verify if Crash was intended for Smash or not.

League of Legends character rumor: probably true. The rumor predicted the Trials of Mana Spirit Event three months in advance (4chan post dates back to January of this year, a few days after Byleth’s release) and even has a killswitch in the form of the Hollow Knight PreMiium Swordfighter prediction with a remix of Sealed Vessel. A League rep, while unexpected by many, would make sense in context: it’s huge. Almost Minecraft huge, has the televised yearly Worlds tournament, and has a console/mobile version of LoL, Wild Rift, due this year. It’s very possible Wild Rift may come to Switch. Of course, anything can happen at this point.

Falcom (Adol or Rean) rumor: probably false. there’s a lot overall that doesn’t add up, like being unsure if it’s Adol or Rean; the confusion over the Trails of Cold Steel spirits (whether they’re an event or Spirit Board with DLC); Estelle Bright from the more popular Trails in the Sky isn’t mentioned; and even though NIS helps develop Falcom’s games now according to someone else here, Falcom alone is still the IP holder and I would think you’d only need to negotiate with them, not NIS in addition. Plus, given the date of the original rumor (June 20), and claiming that they were in talks since last September... im not sure what to think of this one. There’s quite a few inconsistencies overall.

Ubisoft Chat Bot: indeterminate. before April 22, if you asked the Ubisoft Club bot, Sam, about Smash, it would post a response advocating for Rayman to be included, but after that date, mentioning Smash just gives a generic response. It doesn’t feel like an NDA, and could probably just mean nothing except Rayman not being in this pass.

GameStop “Geno in Smash” comment: indeterminate; probably nothing.
“During a section of the video going over the history of Mario RPG spin-offs, the host Pamela Horton states that "people were freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash", something that had not happened at the time, though the video used footage of Geno's Spirit Battle during that particular scene. The video was later marked private, and when it was made public again GameStop posted a comment explaining that it was referring to the speculation surrounding the Spirit and that GameStop does not have any inside knowledge of which fighters will or won't appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.”

Ryu Hayabusa: might be true? Vergeben has said KT has been in talks with Nintendo for years, and that Smash was mentioned. IAmShifty also predicted Hayabusa and he accurately predicted Piranha Plant. However, Vergeben has also raised the possibility of KT negotiations falling through for a playable character (they already have an AT; Fatal Frame’s Yuri Kozukata). We will see.
Probably true
Despite only getting a single thing right
Said thing being a game that was heavily marketed by Sqaure at the time

Nope, totally not biased at all, no siree.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What I wonder about Ryu H. is how his physics in Smash would contrast with Shiek and Greninja.

I've only played the NES trilogy so I definitely don't have the full picture, but would Ryu be faster? Would his jump height be higher? Would he fall faster?
I don't know too much about Ryu, but I'd imagine he'd be a more straightforward and aggressive character, with his sword giving him better range and his specials being more damage-focused. I at least know that he has Pinwheel Shurikens and Art of the Inferno. Though, I'm sure there's someone with a better understanding of him to give a more accurate prediction.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Ryu wasn't Playable, but was a Mii Costume, would he be a Sword Fighter or a Brawler?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Can he not work for both?
Have there been full costumes for more than one role before? I know standalone hats don’t care but
I guess it could be a first like how Sans was first costume to come with Music

Maybe 2 different versions of the Costume with Both Sword and hand to hand. I don't know if they do that, if Ryu is a Mii Costume. I do think Ryu will show up in Some form, Like I'm certain Dante will show up, but like Dante I'm not sure on Ryu being playable

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
But I didn't think it be that easy, as Ryu fights bare-handed in Dead or Alive, and brawler also has the Suplex, which is kind of like the Izuna Drop without the Spins
Solid point. Hmm.
I guess either would work. Maybe that could be his deluxe gimmick. Two miis for the price of one.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Are there any other big NES-era franchises like Ninja Gaiden that are still around today?

I'm pretty sure Contra is still around in some form. Not sure what else, I'm very uninformed with this kind of stuff.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

From what I know about the character (which admittedly isn't too much), it looks like he'd primarily be a sword character, but with a really short sword like Meta Knight, trading the disjointed range for speed. As for how quickly he could move around, I think it would be kind of average. Pretty fast, but not top 10 fast. This is because while I think speed would be important for him, I don't think he'd be strictly rushdown, and he'd have a pretty decently versatile projectile, and most characters with those tend to take a hit to their general mobility.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Are there any other big NES-era franchises like Ninja Gaiden that are still around today?

I'm pretty sure Contra is still around in some form. Not sure what else, I'm very uninformed with this kind of stuff.
Ng and most are not really around anymore. And if you are owned by konami, just out of luck entirely

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I'd say Kunio and Double Dragon are still around

As for Hayabusa, I'd want him to focus on the 3D games as there's sooooo much more to pull from for his normals beyond 2 sword swings

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Fr, during Ninjara's section of the Mii Costume showcase, I thought it was Hayabusa for a bit there.

Freaked me out for a split second lol.
only tangentially related but this reminds me of when i somehow called a ninjara mii costume not only before the arms character reveal, not only before byleth's reveal, but even before terry was released back in november

despite how it was only like a single mii costume (not even a particularly notable one at that) and meant absolutely ****ing nothing in the long run, if i have to be completely honest i'm still a bit proud of it because of just how much of a shot in the dark it was

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
only tangentially related but this reminds me of when i somehow called a ninjara mii costume not only before the arms character reveal, not only before byleth's reveal, but even before terry was released back in november

despite how it was only like a single mii costume (not even a particularly notable one at that) and meant absolutely ****ing nothing in the long run, if i have to be completely honest i'm still a bit proud of it because of just how much of a shot in the dark it was
Oh ****, we got a ****ing Leakerman up in this *****!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thought this video would be worth the discussion.

It suddenly makes me rather certain we could see Crash, by no means he's close to a lock but it seems his chances might be looking good given the popularity factor combined with voice theory of having Coco as a costume or Aku Aku being his Final Smash and part of his victory animation.

Other popular characters.

Dante
Lloyd Irving
Monster Hunter
Sora (Though Disney could be an obstacle preventing that)

To name a few others.
I will say I think that there being more 1st party characters is probably a very likely scenario.

Crash and Monster Hunter do seem front runners for 3rd party characters however. I agree with them.

First party owned ? Isaac and Impa. Golden Sun is most likely coming back, Impa is the most appearing playable side character in Zelda games and present since the beginning, and there's a serious lack of Zelda newcomers, that and Age of Calamity is a holiday title.

Bro.

I predicted Byleth.

I am your God here now.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I imagine him jumping lower to showcase the difficulty of the original Ninja gaiden and he could be a bit faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom