• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
but maybe Vergeben’s silence could mean LoL is true, cause he sure as hell wouldn’t wanna be sued and face legal action
I wouldn't read to much into his silence. Remember when Gamefaqs users asked Vergeben about Kos-mos, and Vergeben disconfirmed a bunch of third party but not Kos-mos and everyone thought she was in? He probably didn't talk because he don't have enough info.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Ryu Hayabusa is certainly up there. Again he's among the NES icons alongside Castlevania.
Just saying it does not convince me. That is relative. They only thing I ever see NG on is hard NES games. Not necessarily good ones. Just hard. I do not see him as an NES icon. I see people conflating.

Ryu Hayabusa is certainly up there. Again he's among the NES icons alongside Castlevania.

Also, Terry wasn't exactly a requested character, yet he's in. Sometimes legacy and history is a reason to be added as shown with him and Hero.
Terry is in because Sakurai Bias.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just saying it does not convince me. That is relative. They only thing I ever see NG on is hard NES games. Not necessarily good ones. Just hard. I do not see him as an NES icon. I see people conflating.
Also, Terry wasn't exactly a requested character, yet he got in. Sometimes legacy and history is a reason to be added as shown with him and Hero.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In contrast, the LoL rumor says “no names at the moment but bets are on pic related” which was a pic of Ahri and I do believe the file was named Ahri.jpg or something
Huh, guess pic related is just 4chan slang. Maybe that's not such a point against them after all. Still, LoL has much more wiggle room than Falcom, which has only three characters with an observable chance.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Huh, guess pic related is just 4chan slang. Maybe that's not such a point against them after all. Still, LoL has much more wiggle room than Falcom, which has only three characters with an observable chance.
And I mean a lot. Like 150 characters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ryu Hayabusa could happen, and I don't think he'd be any more random than Terry.

Still, I do agree that people are mostly predicting him because of rumors, many of which have had other information outside Hayabusa that was blatantly wrong. IamShifty said we'd get Hayabusa as F4, then as F5. Even if PP was correct and not many people predicted it, that doesn't mean he should be given a free pass when his claims don't play out like he said they would.

Also, Terry wasn't exactly a requested character, yet he got in. Sometimes legacy and history is a reason to be added as shown with him and Hero.
I'm gonna be honest, Terry just feels like a character Sakurai himself asked Nintendo if he could add. Terry's legacy and history isn't any better than dozens and dozens of other characters we frequently bring up in this thread.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man, the fact saying Ryu Hayabusa doesn't rank with legacy characters like Banjo, Belmonts, Hero, and Terry is pretty laughable. LMAO, its clear that he does.
I'm gonna be honest, Terry just feels like a character Sakurai himself asked Nintendo if he could add. Terry's legacy and history isn't any better than dozens and dozens of other characters we frequently bring up in this thread.
I'll repeat again.

Nintendo chooses the DLC in the end.

Also forgetting his series is what inspired Smash in the first place?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And I mean a lot. Like 150 characters.
Some characters are way more popular than others though, so they’d probably sift through the most popular champions

among which are Ahri (shown in the pic in the rumor), Yasuo, Jinx, Ezreal, Teemo, Lux, Blitzcrank, Akali, Thresh, Miss Fortune and Caitlyn

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I would argue he does not rank close to Hero or Terry. But again relative. And my point was that people say "icons" here, yet when a real Icon was announced it was all "Oh look. Sans. Terry who? Hat Ken. No one wanted him." So echo chamber.

Also to expand, people assume their childhood is always similar to others. If players did not grow up on the NES or Xbox, Ryu who? is more then likely a statement to be heard. Hell, most characters tend to be forgotten given how the industry treats its properties. You know a big series I remember on the NES. Double Dragon. that thing had 3 NES games, SNES games and was huge for some time. Should we consider them also?
I mean, most of the people I saw dissing Terry were casuals who didn't understand fighting game history. Doesn't make them any less wrong in calling Terry a nobody, just explains why they think that way. It's the exact same thing.

Dude. I don't even want Hayabusa in particular or have a big attachment to NG and I can tell this is flat-out misinformed. You mean that the fact that he's a guest in Warriors, is pretty much a permanent guest in DoA, has a rumored remastered trilogy in the works and has boss fights referencing NG in Nioh isn't enough Ninja Gaiden?

I don't think that LoL has a face. It would be pretty hard to select one character out of 150 to represent the series.
Maybe, maybe not. There's a few who could work well as faces for the game - and I know I'm biased on this one, but Ahri is certainly up there.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Just gabbed. a random poll link. All are Icons.

You know who is on my mind, since Melee. Goemon. One of the cereal box mascots from the N64 that was rather big on the N64. It is all relative dude.
A random poll with no data and no source for said data that got popular because of pre-release hype. Truly an ironclad proof of what characters are requested by the community.
Like I get upset when people brought up the "Twitter people" with Gundam as one of the most requested characters in Japan but at least with that, we know that the guy who made it had a specific method for getting the data (an extremely flawed method mind you, but one that it's better than nothing).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would argue he does not rank close to Hero or Terry. But again relative. And my point was that people say "icons" here, yet when a real Icon was announced it was all "Oh look. Sans. Terry who? Hat Ken. No one wanted him." So echo chamber.
You say it's relative, but then you go on to imply that Terry is a 'real' icon and Hayabusa is simply a result of an echo chamber, because you're not as well acquainted with him.

Don't you realize how this is hypocritical?

I think they're both awesome, so your generalizations about the community don't even apply to me. I didn't grow up on Ninja Gaiden or Fatal Fury either. I'm just someone who values video game history and informs myself.

You know a big series I remember on the NES. Double Dragon. that thing had 3 NES games, SNES games and was huge for some time. Should we consider them also?
YES, you should lol. Double Dragon is the forefather of beat 'em ups, a genre with a massive legacy that is currently unrepresented on the roster. I was actually just going on the other day about how Billy and Jimmy are massively underrated candidates for DLC.

You're only making the case for Hayabusa stronger.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, most of the people I saw dissing Terry were casuals who didn't understand fighting game history. Doesn't make them any less wrong in calling Terry a nobody, just explains why they think that way. It's the exact same thing.

Dude. I don't even want Hayabusa in particular or have a big attachment to NG and I can tell this is flat-out misinformed. You mean that the fact that he's a guest in Warriors, is pretty much a permanent guest in DoA, has a rumored remastered trilogy in the works and has boss fights referencing NG in Nioh isn't enough Ninja Gaiden?
Don't forget that Ryu Hayabusa is the face of Koei.

Also right on regarding Terry. Its clear those people didn't realize the fighting game history of Terry regarding his franchise being the inspiration for Smash. Surprising he actually didn't show up sooner alongside Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
But, Sakurai has said over and over again that he doesn't choose the DLC characters, Nintendo gives him options that he chooses...
He was given a list from Nintendo. And I am pretty sure he also had some tug and pull on said list.

A random poll with no data and no source for said data that got popular because of pre-release hype. Truly an ironclad proof of what characters are requested by the community.
Like I get upset when people brought up the "Twitter people" with Gundam as one of the most requested characters in Japan but at least with that, we know that the guy who made it had a specific method for getting the data (an extremely flawed method mind you, but one that it's better than nothing).
Just grab any poll. that is one that I saw many times over.

Some people are still stuck in the "every character I'm not familiar with is Sakurai Bias" mentality, aren't they?
Jokes on you. I knew who Terry was from the Anime movies. Such good video game movie cheese.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still have to ask. If Dragon Quest notably has such a legacy as it does being the father of RPGs. Why did it take so long to get into Smash?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I do think Sakurai had something to do with Terry being chosen. Maybe he asked Nintendo for permission to add him as one of the five characters, or maybe Nintendo was aware Sakurai liked Fatal Fury.

Either way, it feels way too convenient for Nintendo to randomly choose a character from a franchise that Sakurai is very enthusiastic about and frequently played "back in the day". Terry is the only character so far who doesn't feel like a product of Nintendo's desire for collaborations or promotion.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I still have to ask. If Dragon Quest notably has such a legacy as it does being the father of RPGs. Why did it take so long to get into Smash? Hmmm...
I would argue Square. They even made it a very large note that this was the first time the Heros were even fighting against each other. When things get really big, the bureaucracy steps in.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still have to ask. If Dragon Quest notably has such a legacy as it does being the father of RPGs. Why did it take so long to get into Smash? Hmmm...
Licensing and music rights if I had to guess. Sugiyama is a greedy mofo who demanded a cut of the music, that could only be possible via DLC. and then there’s Akira Toriyama doing the artwork, dealing with him isn’t cheap either

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Ninja Gaiden as a franchise is considered important. It was the first game to present it's story with cutscenes and with games like Ninja Gaiden Black, it's considered one of the best action franchises of all time. It's also used as an inspiration for video game ninja's and is referenced quite often in games like DoA and even Nioh. Hayabusa is also considered the face of Koei Tecmo. It's also considered one of the better trilogies and franchises on the NES.

Hayabusa has the history and the impact to be a worthy inclusion to Smash Bros. More people recognize who Hayabusa is more then someone like Terry or even others like Joker and Hero (these last two can be considered debatable, though). It's ok to not like the franchise, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have enough merit to make it into Smash Bros.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think Ninja Gaiden is as likely a candidate as most other talked about choices, having a legacy in gaming history due to the NES days while remaining relevant on modern platforms. But, I swear, he does have a legacy in gaming, and I think ignoring that is not looking at the whole picture.

He was given a list from Nintendo. And I am pretty sure he also had some tug and pull on said list.
I can provide you a few things that demonstrate Sakurai doesn't choose the idea, but he does choose from a list of ideas. Do you have anything to prove your claim of Sakurai having some tug and pull on the list?

It just seems to me that Joker and Terry were on the list of characters, and Sakurai happened to love them, not that Sakurai specifically negotiated for them. I only say this because I think Sakurai wouldn't constantly remind folks that he isn't choosing the DLC if he had more control than we thought.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would argue Square. They even made it a very large note that this was the first time the Heros were even fighting against each other. When things get really big, the bureaucracy steps in.
Licensing and music rights if I had to guess. Sugiyama is a greedy mofo who demanded a cut of the music, that could only be possible via DLC. and then there’s Akira Toriyama doing the artwork, dealing with him isn’t cheap either
And Terry being his series inspired Smash in the first place? Heck, he wasn't even a frequently requested character to begin with hence why history and legacy sometimes plays a factor as it was with Hero.

Also it wasn't Sakurai bias as I'll mention again Nintendo chooses the DLC in the end.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Ninja Gaiden as a franchise is considered important. It was the first game to present it's story with cutscenes and with games like Ninja Gaiden Black, it's considered one of the best action franchises of all time. It's also used as an inspiration for video game ninja's and is referenced quite often in games like DoA and even Nioh. Hayabusa is also considered the face of Koei Tecmo. It's also considered one of the better trilogies and franchises on the NES.

Hayabusa has the history and the impact to be a worthy inclusion to Smash Bros. More people recognize who Hayabusa is more then someone like Terry or even others like Joker and Hero (these last two can be considered debatable, though). It's ok to not like the franchise, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have enough merit to make it into Smash Bros.
Umm. no. This is bias speaking. More people now-a-days recognize Sans. And people use these same arguemets for Double Dragon, Contra, so many other series. It is commonly just hind sight bias.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I still have to ask. If Dragon Quest notably has such a legacy as it does being the father of RPGs. Why did it take so long to get into Smash?
Aside from legal issues, as others have noted, I don't think Nintendo necessarily has a list of priorities. They probably just attempt to get the rights to various characters and put the ones they do get to good use.

SKX31

Smash Master
From SSBWiki:

SKX31 SKX31 yup, LoL rumor was originally posted in January but we only learned of it in April shortly after the ToM spirit event. So my prediction of them being FP8 if the rumor is true would likely hold up timeline wise
Notes down the LoL World Championship Grand Final, this Saturday, on the incredibly unlikely (I'm thinking part per million territory, if not lower) chance FP8's revealed there or this week.

Besides "Steve was revealed this month" (which is a massive damper on any such chances, don't get me wrong):

One of the main problem with the Grand Final is that it starts 10:00 GMT, which essentially makes it morning / just before lunch time EU and late night / early morning for NA. Sure, it's practically primetime for Japan as well as China / Korea (where the Grand Final teams - Suning and DAMWON - come from respectively), but I can see Nintendo having real issues with hosting a Sakurai Presents either before 10:00 GMT or after the Final (which is a Best of 5, which means around 13:00-15:00). After would not be a fixed time like Nintendo generally wants to announce because the Final can last between 3-5 hours - depending on how the games themselves go.

Yeah, not counting on the Final at all. If it's indeed LoL (again, if being the keyword) I'm leaning towards something Nintendo / Riot would announce, or as a darkhorse for TGA since Geoff has shown off loads of LoL-related stuff in the past and evidently likes Riot. As for the overall chances, I'm going to remain steadfast and say that LoL's no frontrunner, but definetely has a chance.

Given how much Sakurai seems to love Persona 5 and SNK, plus Joker and Terry being the characters sitting outside the circle of Nintendo, I could see Sakurai having some degree of pull on the choices. Still, it seems that Nintendo's the one mainly calling the shots.
From Furukawa / Nintendo's PoV SNK is beneficial since it's a smaller SEGA in a sense. Former competitior with a lot of history behind it who have a very widespread appeal to them (it's kinda telling when Terry's trailer opens up with the Neo-Geo besides Nintendo's consoles, an honor SEGA got with the Virtual Console). Also is a steadfast source of games for Nintendo's consoles just like SEGA.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Either way, it feels way too convenient for Nintendo to randomly choose a character from a franchise that Sakurai is very enthusiastic about and frequently played "back in the day". Terry is the only character so far who doesn't feel like a product of Nintendo's desire for collaborations or promotion.
This would make more sense if there haven't been several SNK guest appearances prior to Terry in Smash.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Notes down the LoL World Championship Grand Final, this Saturday, on the incredibly unlikely (I'm thinking part per million territory, if not lower) chance FP8's revealed there or this week.

Besides "Steve was revealed this month" (which is a massive damper on any such chances, don't get me wrong):

One of the main problem with the Grand Final is that it starts 10:00 GMT, which essentially makes it morning / just before lunch time EU and late night / early morning for NA. Sure, it's practically primetime for Japan as well as China / Korea (where the Grand Final teams - Suning and DAMWON - come from respectively), but I can see Nintendo having real issues with hosting a Sakurai Presents either before 10:00 GMT or after the Final (which is a Best of 5, which means around 13:00-15:00). After would not be a fixed time like Nintendo generally wants to announce because the Final can last between 3-5 hours - depending on how the games themselves go.

Yeah, not counting on the Final at all. If it's indeed LoL (again, if being the keyword) I'm leaning towards something Nintendo / Riot would announce, or as a darkhorse for TGA since Geoff has shown off loads of LoL-related stuff in the past and evidently likes Riot. As for the overall chances, I'm going to remain steadfast and say that LoL's no frontrunner, but definetely has a chance.
Pretty much this. I mean, the Game Awards' YT channel has even held a few "Directs" specifically for LoL content during their Summer of Gaming thing.

If not at Worlds, TGA is our best bet for a LoL rep.

toonito

Smash Ace
Would it be possible to actually get 8 fighting game characters in the game from 8 different series?

• Ryu
  • Terry
  • Min Min
  • Punch OUT

How could we get four more?

Hmmm...(not counting things like Injustice, DBZ fighters, Capcom VS...Jump Force, Brawlhala, or other cross media events.

So I think the big options are:
- Tekken,
-Mortal Kombat,
-Dead or Alive,
-Soul Callbur
-Graz Blu,
-Guilty Gear,
-Mugen,
-Joy Mech Fight....

Ultimately, I'd be quite happy with
-Scorpion
-Heihachi
-Nightmare
-Ryu Hayabusa
But to keep it to four new companies, I'm willing to say Sol Badguy may creep in and replace Nightmare.

Three companies, four icons, and finally a full roster of fighters.
Scorpion
Nightmare
Sol Badguy
Heihachi

In regards to DQ and Terry not getting in Smash sooner its probably due to FF and SF reputations as the standard bearers of their respective genres. If Terry got in Smash before Ryu I could definitely see people scratching their heads about the decision despite Smash inheriting several features from SNK fighting games (short hops, rolls, sidestep/spotdodge, rage, etc.)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Believe it or not I... actually kind of agree

before with how many insiders kept saying Crash, I thought he was inevitable

now... I’m suddenly not so sure
And really this demand for him only began starting upon his N. Sane Trilogy though we should still keep the whole 5 years of negotiations for Steve in mind.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Given how much Sakurai seems to love Persona 5 and SNK, plus Joker and Terry being the characters sitting outside the circle of Nintendo, I could see Sakurai having some degree of pull on the choices. Still, it seems that Nintendo's the one mainly calling the shots.
In that case, can he choose Sakura Shinguji if Nintendo offers him a SEGA character? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom