• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm just glad we're not yet at a point where everyone is saying the next reveal will be "next week" only for to continue saying "next week" for months on end.
Just wait. As we eventually approach December, that's when it'll begin to occur despite the likelihood we won't get anything at the VGA.

Still banking a January reveal and release.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Here's Sora's moveset. This is the craziest one yet.
Alright. First of all, let me say how pleased I am considering the amount of times the words "heart" and "darkness" come up. Secondly, Riku is apparently an alt costume. Not an AT, not an Echo, just a swap. And Sora uses some of his moves, too. The plot thickens.

Sora is apparently much more edgy here. The whole thing about drinking/drawing blood, plus "next time, it's your throat" make that clear. He even has an f-throw that suffocates the enemy until the match ends. I mean, that's what I'm taking from "until you're done fighting". Alternatively, you can both "break each other's necks", which I'm assuming interrupts it and takes a stock from each player.

As if that wasn't OP enough, he can split himself in two (I'm assuming this is where the Roxas bit on Dunkacinno's moveset comes in) and has a Final Smash that can ignore hitstun during activation and is infinitely strong when compared to Marth's (who, in fact, got a new FS called Comet of Legend). Plus a few tools based on the KH spinoffs, like the musical attacks which are clearly a nod to MoM.

But what I love the most is the backstory we're getting from Classic mode. Wolf was apparently a hero once, during his academy days (possibly along Fox) and Olimar is a sadistic villain, which I find fitting interesting. Dunno, who Ragnor, Naji and Hazel O'Lantern are, but I'm sure there's probably a spinoff I haven't played on the PS Vita that explains everything.

Also Ganondorf has three heads. And is the "conqueror of all who oppose him". Like, he conquers the people who oppose him, not kingdoms.

1337/10 moveset, too much darkness. I need to sleep.

SKX31

Smash Master
What is with AI Dungeon and vampires? We've had vampiric abilities in two movesets now.
Also,
View attachment 290299
Apparently there's a chance the pummel does 0 % damage.

Amazing.

Just wait. As we eventually approach December, that's when it'll begin to occur despite the likelihood we won't get anything at the VGA.

Still banking a January reveal and release.
... Still, the fact that we have no clue when reveals are is incredibly sad.

Why didn't you provide us with a rough roadmap at least Nintendo. To give an example:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12

There are a few omissions from your big list of FF songs but I did my best to include as many as I could.
That is beautiful to see. I'd also put in Liberi Fatali from Final Fantasy VIII and some tunes like Apocalypsis Aquarius, Stand Your Ground and Omnis Lacrima from Final Fantasy XV or even The Beginning of the End or Vermillion Fire from Final Fantasy Type-0.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
We might not get a reveal until February.
February is pushing it, honestly.

I won't say it's impossible, but unless it's another character that requires the entire damn ****ing game to be redone for a gimmick to work properly, it's probably not gonna take that long

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
February is pushing it, honestly.

I won't say it's impossible, but unless it's another character that requires the entire damn ****ing game to be redone for a gimmick to work properly, it's probably not gonna take that long
I think that if a Pokemon is next they might push the reveal to February due to the series' 25th anniversary next year.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think that if a Pokemon is next they might push the reveal to February due to the series' 25th anniversary next year.
They didn't push Byleth to a Pass 2 slot on April to match Fire Emblem's 30th, why would they do it with Pokemon?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Pokemon is a much bigger series so its anniversary would be bigger.
And yet Mario doesn't get a character on its 35th. The freaking mascot franchise of the entire company gets nothing. Sounds like anniversaries don't meant **** to me.

Cue Geno revealed in December to prove me wrong

By your logic, we should also expect a BotW character for Zelda's 35th on that Pass, I suppose.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Looks at Mario's 35th.

Yeeeeaaah.... about that.
We're talking the world's biggest media franchise ever in terms of net worth. Pokemon is also the only series where its characters have spots saved for them on the Smash roster.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also, serious question.

Why do people keep thinking anniversaries always matter when 99,9% of the time, they don't?

The only case of it happening in Smash's entire history is Little Mac's Smash 4 reveal, and even then, the idea that Nintendo would deliberately schedule an entire general Direct on a specific date just so a 2-minute trailer would match an anniversary sounds like a stretch to me. Could be coincidence, for all we know.

So why is it something people always go for?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, serious question.

Why do people keep thinking anniversaries always matter when 99,9% of the time, they don't?

The only case of it happening in Smash's entire history is Little Mac's Smash 4 reveal, and even then, the idea that Nintendo would deliberately schedule an entire general Direct on a specific date just so a 2-minute trailer would match an anniversary really sounds like a stretch to me.

While a veteran reveal also, the reason Captain Falcon was in the Robin/Lucina trailer was because it was the anniversary of F-Zero X in Japan. (Also a monolith soft person retweeted the announcement cause they worked on F-Zero X.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, serious question.

The only case of it happening in Smash's entire history is Little Mac's Smash 4 reveal, and even then, the idea that Nintendo would deliberately schedule an entire general Direct on a specific anniversary date just so a 2-minute trailer would match an anniversary really sounds like a stretch to me.

Anniversaries had their chance with Min Min, and they blew it. The ARMS rep was slated for the same month as their anniversary, and we knew the series they were from. Everything lined up for them... And yet, Min Min came a week later, without a mention towards the anniversary beyond the official ARMS Twitter (I think). After it passed up on a chance like that, I think it's safe to say anniversaries are dead.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
While a veteran reveal also, the reason Captain Falcon was in the Robin/Lucina trailer was because it was the anniversary of F-Zero X in Japan.
But this wasn't a Captain Falcon trailer, it was a Robin and Lucina trailer.

But even if you're right, that's still two cases in like, 40 or so trailers. Definitely not a pattern worth following.

(Also a monolith soft person retweeted the announcement cause they worked on F-Zero X.)
And they wouldn't have if Falcon was revealed in any other date? That argument is definitely a stretch.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Anniversaries had their chance with Min Min, and they blew it. The ARMS rep was slated for the same month as their anniversary, and we knew the series they were from. Everything lined up for them... And yet, Min Min came a week later, without a mention towards the anniversary beyond the official ARMS Twitter (I think). After it passed up on a chance like that, I think it's safe to say anniversaries are dead.
We're talking about the anniversary of the 3rd best selling video game franchise of all time, the most profitable media franchise in the world, and the only series whose characters have spots saved for them ahead of time on the Smash roster.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also, serious question.

The only case of it happening in Smash's entire history is Little Mac's Smash 4 reveal, and even then, the idea that Nintendo would deliberately schedule an entire general Direct on a specific date just so a 2-minute trailer would match an anniversary really sounds like a stretch to me.

Because it's a possibility. Anniversaries are a time for celebration, and a Super Smash Bros. character is a good way to do that. Granted, they don't do it often, but even with that being the case, it doesn't follow that it never happens or wouldn't make sense.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Because it's a possibility. Anniversaries are a time for celebration, and a Super Smash Bros. character is a good way to do that. Granted, they don't do it often, but even with that being the case, it doesn't follow that it never happens or wouldn't make sense.
Especially with Pokemon, a series that gets special treatment when it comes to Smash.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
We're talking about the anniversary of the 3rd best selling video game franchise of all time, the most profitable media franchise in the world, and the only series whose characters have spots saved for them ahead of time on the Smash roster.
If there is 1 series that doesn't need an extra promotional push for it's anniversary it's Pokemon. Assuming next character is a Pokemon and for some reason it coincides with the anniversary they don't need to release it on the anniversary to promote the anniversary.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You basically just said why the anniversary doesn't matter for Pokemon, which basically boils down to one thing; it's ****ing Pokemon

It would be a big deal regardless of when the reveal drops. And as long as it sticks to 2021, they can say it's part of the anniversary, no need to stick it to a specific date.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If there is 1 series that doesn't need an extra promotional push for it's anniversary it's Pokemon. Assuming next character is a Pokemon and for some reason it coincides with the anniversary they don't need to release it on the anniversary to promote the anniversary.
TPC and Game Freak might not think that way. Pokemon already is treated differently when it comes to playable characters in Smash.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
People who make Sega fighting game rosters that put sketch turner, vectorman, Toejam and earl, or a eternal champion character are the flat earthers of sega fans
SILENCE! WEEB.

I'll rather have a SEGA Roster with Toe Jam & Earl, Sketch and Vectorman than having like 5 damn Phantasy Star characters, or a Ristar character that is not ****ing Ristar.

You know what? Im just gonna post MY SEGA Roster, let me show you how a SEGA Roster is DONE, baby!. No realistic roster cap, just wanted to add as much as possible.

SEGA ALL STARS CHAMPIONSHIP:

Starter choices:

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (6):
-Sonic
-Tails
-& Knuckles
-Amy
-Shadow (Semi Clone of Sonic)
-Dr Eggman

FANTASY ZONE (1):
-Opa Opa

ALEX KIDD (1):
-Alex Kidd

PUYO PUYO (3):
-Arle Nadja
-Amitie (Echo Figher)
-Satan

VIRTUA FIGHTER (2):
-Akira Yuki
-Sarah Bryant

YAKUZA (1):
-Kazuma Kiryu

SHENMUE (1):
-Ryo Hazuki

GOLDEN AXE (1):
-Gilius Thunderhead

JET SET RADIO (2):
-Beat
-Gum (Semi Clone)

NiGHTS (1):
-Nights

SHINOBI (1)
-Joe Musashi

Japanese Appeal:

VALKYRIE CHRONICLES (1)
-Alicia

SAKURA WARS (2):
-Sakura Shinguji
-Gemini Sunrise

SEGATA SANSHIRO (1):
-Segata Sanshiro

PHANTASY STAR (2):
-Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)
-Nei (Phantasy Star II)

Western Appeal:

STREETS OF RAGE (3):
-Axel Stone
-Blaze Fielding
-Adam Hunter

VECTORMAN (1):
-Vectorman

ETERNAL CHAMPIONS (1):
-Larcen Tyler

COMIX ZONE (1):
-Sketch Turner

Non-Sega/Sega Subsidiary/Sega Published characters:

PERSONA (2):
-Yu Narukami
-Aigis

SMT (1)
-Demi-Fiend

TOEJAM & EARL (2):
-ToeJam
-Earl

GUNSTAR HEROES (2):
-Gunstar Red
-Gunstar Blue (Echo Figher)

WONDER BOY/MONSTER WORLD (1):
-Book (Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap) with Wonder Girl as an Alt

Cult Characters:

ALTERED BEAST (1):
-The guy from Altered Beast

SPACE CHANNEL 5 (1):
-Ulala

SKIES OF ARCADIA (1):
-Vyse

RISTAR (1):
-Ristar

BEYOND OASIS/THE STORY OF THOR (1):

-Prince Ali

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it can't be a good addition or something other people could enjoy.
I agree. **** like this is why i have a (admittedly undeserved) distaste for the "weeb" side of Sega Fans, disrespecting anything that leans towards or was created by Western Audiences as "inferior". It's pretentious.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe they'll tie in a planned Zelda or Pokémon character with the anniversary, or maybe they won't.

Can't say I'm completely convinced that they'll do it based off of previous opportunities, but I also know that a 35th and 25th anniversary is a much bigger deal than something like ARMS's 3rd anniversary. It's possible, and I don't think it's fair to blow it off completely because it never happens. A large part of the reason why it's so rare isn't because they've been intentionally avoiding tying in Smash characters with anniversaries, but rather because there's rarely been times when a character lined up with a relevant anniversary or an important anniversary year (20th, 25th, 30th, etc.).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You know what? Im just gonna post MY SEGA Roster, let me show you how a SEGA Roster is DONE, baby!. No realistic roster cap, just wanted to add as much as possible.
No way Joker wouldn't be there with how much Atlus loves to milk Persona 5. Otherwise, pretty cool roster.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
SILENCE! WEEB.

I'll rather have a SEGA Roster with Toe Jam & Earl, Sketch and Vectorman than having like 5 damn Phantasy Star characters, or a Ristar character that is not ****ing Ristar.

SEGA ALL STARS CHAMPIONSHIP:

Starter choices:

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (6):
-Sonic
-Tails
-& Knuckles
-Amy
-Shadow (Semi Clone of Sonic)
-Dr Eggman

FANTASY ZONE (1):
-Opa Opa

ALEX KIDD (1):
-Alex Kidd

PUYO PUYO (3):
-Arle Nadja
-Amitie (Echo Figher)
-Satan

VIRTUA FIGHTER (2):
-Akira Yuki
-Sarah Bryant

YAKUZA (1):
-Kazuma Kiryu

SHENMUE (1):
-Ryo Hazuki

GOLDEN AXE (1):
-Gilius Thunderhead

JET SET RADIO (2):
-Beat
-Gum (Semi Clone)

NiGHTS (1):
-Nights

SHINOBI (1)
-Joe Musashi

Japanese Appeal:

VALKYRIE CHRONICLES (1)
-Alicia

SAKURA WARS (2):
-Sakura Shinguji
-Gemini Sunrise

SEGATA SANSHIRO (1):
-Segata Sanshiro

PHANTASY STAR (2):
-Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)
-Nei (Phantasy Star II)

Western Appeal:

STREETS OF RAGE (3):
-Axel Stone
-Blaze Fielding
-Adam Hunter

VECTORMAN (1):
-Vectorman

ETERNAL CHAMPIONS (1):
-Larcen Tyler

COMIX ZONE (1):
-Sketch Turner

Non-Sega/Sega Subsidiary/Sega Published characters:

PERSONA (2):
-Yu Narukami
-Aigis

SMT (1)
-Demi-Fiend

TOEJAM & EARL (2):
-ToeJam
-Earl

GUNSTAR HEROES (2):
-Gunstar Red
-Gunstar Blue (Echo Figher)

WONDER BOY/MONSTER WORLD (1):
-Book (Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap) with Wonder Girl as an Alt

Cult Characters:

ALTERED BEAST (1):
-The guy from Altered Beast

SPACE CHANNEL 5 (1):
-Ulala

SKIES OF ARCADIA (1):
-Vyse

RISTAR (1):
-Ristar

BEYOND OASIS/THE STORY OF THOR (1):

-Prince Ali

I agree. **** like this is why i have a (admittedly undeserved) distaste for the "weeb" side of Sega Fans, disrespecting anything that leans towards or was created by Western Audiences as "inferior". It's pretentious.
Can we get Billy Hatcher as a DLC character? I'll take anything at this point...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that there's going to be a lot of surprises with these Final 4 characters, especially with a lot of the frequently talked about characters like Travis, Arle, Master Chief, and Doomguy now deconfirmed.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is a pretty terrible argument imo. Yeah, they could just shadowdrop something Pokémon and it would sell millions anyway, but that doesn't mean they should or are going to. Likewise, a Pokémon character wouldn't need to coincide with an anniversary, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't take the opportunity should it have presented itself.

There are also a lot of different ways something like this could play out:
  • Reveal trailer in January & Sakurai Presents in February.
  • Reveal trailer in a Sakurai Presents in February.
  • Options one or two, but the Sakurai Presents precedes or follows a Pokémon presentation.
  • Reveal trailer in the Pokémon presentation in February, with a Sakurai Presents sometime later.
Again, it all depends on what Nintendo wants to do.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think that there's going to be a lot of surprises with these Final 4 characters, especially with a lot of the frequently talked about characters like Travis, Arle, Master Chief, and Doomguy now deconfirmed.
And there wouldn't have been with these characters still on the table?

Or at you implying one of these (except Travis because duh) could suddenly just show up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom