• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
If they have to change many of the moves then they can't be Echoes though, the whole point of the concept is that they're characters that can easily be slapped onto a base and changed minimally. Something like Blaziken over Charizard would require so many changes you might as well make the former an entirely new character.
I don't think it would be impossible to reuse a lot of the Pokemon's moves or only change them slightly. But perhaps they'd have to be semi-clones. Just always thought it would be a rad idea for a character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think it would be impossible to reuse a lot of the Pokemon's moves or only change them slightly. But perhaps they'd have to be semi-clones. Just always thought it would be a rad idea for a character.
One is a dragon with wings and a tail, one is a miniature turtle with a shell and tail, and one is a 4 legged dinosaur with vines and a giant explosive bulb on its back. All these appendages are used heavily in all of their movesets, and all of their proportions are unique. What actually is reusable for other characters is so little, it wouldn't even be a semi-clone anymore.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
potentially unpopular opinion: i think echoes should be base game only not DLC.

that being said below are echoes i'd like to see in Smash

:ultcloud:= Zack Fair
:ultmegaman:= Roll or Protoman
:ultpikachu:= Raichu (Kanto)

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
While I think Octoling would make an easy echo for Inkling, I also think you could make use of some of the current Splatoon 1 and 2 weapons (Chargers, Splatlings, Dualies, Brellas) that are unused in Inkling’s moveset and make Octoling an Isabelle to Inkling’s Villager. Throw in a different bomb other than Splat Bomb (Suction Bomb, Burst Bomb, or something else), make a few moves use weapons over physical attacks, you could have a solid moveset that still feels unique to Octoling.

Now do I think this is likely? No, they’d probably just make Octoling an echo. But I do think it’s possible, the potential is there.
I agree with this 100%. Splatoon has enough crazy weapons to make up atleast two movesets. Though, I’d rather the Octolings be saved for the next Smash game. I want to see them eventually, but they’re not exciting DLC choices.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
As someone who wanted Simon in Smash since '13, i feel you man.

I remember beign the witness of the Simon for Smash movement, i think i was still called Speedwagon, and seeing how nobody tought of him as likely. Then Vergeben showed up............
Oh I remember. I was there with Xeno VII/you (I think you were Tord for a while too?) and a few others before Verge blew open the floodgates.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
"Which is a number only rivaled by Fire Emblem's gains" And clearly you have the extreme opposite of an arbitrary grudge against the series.
Again with the telling me what I’m supposed to think and whataboutism strawman. At least you had the decency to reply to me directly this time instead of talking behind my back.

Who do you think YOU are to declare what my opinions are supposed to be? I dunno what I did for you to develop this personal vendetta against me considering a bunch of others also shared my opinion and you decided to single me out, again. Maybe get that persecution complex sorted out instead of trying to personally attack people for having different opinions.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
Sound test voice theory time
View attachment 233928
There are four empty slots in the voice section of the sound test menu as of 4.0.0, one of which is going to be taken by Banjo and Kazooie, and this leaves us three empty slots.
The three empty slots could be filled by:
  • One voiced fighter with a different character/opposite gender alt and another fighter with a voice
  • Three voiced fighters which possibly means a new post fighters pass fighter is coming or surprisingly, all three of them share one slot like Pokemon Trainer which possibly means that last fighters pass fighter may be voiced or not.
  • One fighter with two more different character alts which means that the next fighter doesn't have a voice.
But there is a chance that we may get a fighter with more than three alts which leads into new theories that the 10 remaining unannounced placeholder DLC fighter slots in the WOL CSS files could be real.
Replying to my old post about my theory, my Sound test voice theory got things right for the fighters pass 1, Terry filled in one empty voice spot and Byleth and his female alt filled in 2 empty voice spots.

Now there are currently 5 empty voice slots in the voice clip section of the sound test menu as of 9.0.0 and since Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman doesn't have a voice, this means we are most likely getting a fighter with a different character/opposite gender alt with a different voice in the fighters pass vol. 2 but there is still a chance that we may not get one.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Ha Voice theory sound interesting! This suggests (considering Sakurai’s word that they will be no more fighters after FP2) that we will get another fighter with dual gender like Byleth, it can also be a fighter with an older appearance like Ike, so, who may be ?

• Crash and Coco
  • Monster Hunter has also a female version
  • You can choose gender in Dark Souls, though I think that a “chosen undead” fighter would have full armor, covering all their body.
  • I don’t think a RE rep is likely but a dual Leon/Jill fits well.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As someone who wanted Simon in Smash since '13, i feel you man.
I wanted Simon and Megaman the moment Snake was revealed. Because I wanted my Captain N reunion.

Medusa and Black Shadow would be my choices for additional Echos.
I'll take:

10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]

35e. Charizard [Pokemon Trainer]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]

61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]

Gimmie the bolded in a "Villains Rising" Echo Pass.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This suggests (considering Sakurai’s word that they will be no more fighters after FP2) that we will get another fighter with dual gender like Byleth, it can also be a fighter with an older appearance like Ike, so, who may be ?
now now i don't play devil may cry but is there a vocal difference between young DMC3 dante and old man DMCV dante?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Replying to my old post about my theory, my Sound test voice theory got things right for the fighters pass 1, Terry filled in one empty voice spot and Byleth and his female alt filled in 2 empty voice spots.

Now there are currently 5 empty voice slots in the voice clip section of the sound test menu as of 9.0.0 and since Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman doesn't have a voice, this means we are most likely getting a fighter with a different character/opposite gender alt with a different voice in the fighters pass vol. 2 but there is still a chance that we may not get one.
If that's the case, there's certainly one character pairing I can think of that fits that description:
1603176877550.png
In which case, I've got a character to look forward to.
now now i don't play devil may cry but is there a vocal difference between young DMC3 dante and old man DMCV dante?
There's a different inflection from the VA Reuben Langdon as the character is at 2 different stages of life in those games, sure but it's still the same VA.
If it's Dante, they could be doing that, or if they wanna do a really deep reference, they can bring back the old voice actor for Dante in DMC1, Drew Coombs who's a bit moodier.

... or they could be using Dante from DmC: Devil May Cry...

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Ha Voice theory sound interesting! This suggests (considering Sakurai’s word that they will be no more fighters after FP2) that we will get another fighter with dual gender like Byleth, it can also be a fighter with an older appearance like Ike, so, who may be ?

• Crash and Coco
  • You can choose gender in Dark Souls, though I think that a “chosen undead” fighter would have full armor, covering all their body.
For some reason, I'm thinking Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) is very likely for this Sound Test Theory. On the count that I don't think Crash and Coco could work as alts in Smash. Here are now theories in regards to the next two Fighters, which includes this theory:

Challenger Pack #8:
1. Min Min came with Heihachi Mii Costume (both Fighting game characters) while Steve came with Gil (both characters fight slimes and wear armor).
2. Lloyd Mii Costume is still missing, so it's possible his Mii Costume comes with a character who is from an RPG, fights with swords, or wears red.
3. My prediction for this is Ryu Hayabusa, Crono, Geno, Dante, or Sora. It could be Chosen Undead (RPG character), but I think they'll come a little later.

Challenger Pack #9:
1. All Bandai Namco Mii Costumes could be leading up to their own Fighter. Challenger Pack #9 would make the most sense for this since all the returning Mii Costumes would be most likely in by this point.
2. One of the most likely sound test picks is Chosen Undead from Dark Souls, who can be male or female.
3. Dark Souls is Bandai Namco's fastest-growing series with Dark Souls 3 being their fastest-selling game when it launched in 2016. It would make sense that they'd want to promote it. It also makes sense for Nintendo to want such a big and still growing franchise from a close partner to be in Smash. As seen with other DLC characters so far.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Smash needs a giant robot (and more heavies), Panzer Paladin for smash.
There's a few giant robot type characters. Jehuty. Metal Wolf, are the first that cross my mind. Don't think we'd see things like Bloodia or Harry from that one Virtua Boy game tho.

If we're going for more armored vehicles style stuff, there's Metal Slug and Sophia III.

Staarih

Smash Master
If we do get additional (DLC) Echoes, they'll probably be the very last content provided as quick & easy add-ons with "here take your damn character"-mentality lol. Octoling would surely benefit of this as most people would accept them as an Echo as is, and no one would bat an eye for extra Splatoon character considering it's an A-lister series for Nintendo today. And at this point, an Echo would likely be Dixie's best bet as well (sadly). Personally I'd like Ninten as well if only to get all Mother boys together.

Echoes would likely only apply to base game characters though, especially if money is charged, as it would kinda mess things up if you, say, get an Echo character of Terry but haven't purchased Terry himself, for example.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For some reason, I'm thinking Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) is very likely for this Sound Test Theory. On the count that I don't think Crash and Coco could work as alts in Smash. Here are now theories in regards to the next two Fighters, which includes this theory:

Challenger Pack #8:
1. Min Min came with Heihachi Mii Costume (both Fighting game characters) while Steve came with Gil (both characters fight slimes and wear armor).
2. Lloyd Mii Costume is still missing, so it's possible his Mii Costume comes with a character who is from an RPG, fights with swords, or wears red.
3. My prediction for this is Ryu Hayabusa, Crono, Geno, Dante, or Sora. It could be Chosen Undead (RPG character), but I think they'll come a little later.

Challenger Pack #9:
1. All Bandai Namco Mii Costumes could be leading up to their own Fighter. Challenger Pack #9 would make the most sense for this since all the returning Mii Costumes would be most likely in by this point.
2. One of the most likely sound test picks is Chosen Undead from Dark Souls, who can be male or female.
3. Dark Souls is Bandai Namco's fastest-growing series with Dark Souls 3 being their fastest-selling game when it launched in 2016. It would make sense that they'd want to promote it. It also makes sense for Nintendo to want such a big and still growing franchise from a close partner to be in Smash. As seen with other DLC characters so far.

So what do you guys think?
One problem:
It also makes sense for Nintendo to want such a big and still growing franchise from a close partner to be in Smash.
1603178574633.png

... okay 2 problems, the mii association with Gil/Steve is a bit reaching.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

There are a lot of characters that could fit that paradigm though. so this is still rather open-ended:

* LoL is filled with them (with several alts having new voicelines altogether), wouldn't be surprised if several Dynasty Warriors characters could also fit for similar reasons (Edit: Lu Bu for example has different responses in the Dynasty Warriors games and the Warriors Orochi games respectively). Reimu's another character that could fit depending on which incarnations would be included. Those are just the ones that come directly to my mind though.

* Likewise, there are a lot of characters that are characteristically mute. There's definetely the chance that another mute characters gets in, and another slot would accordingly be "opened up" if the theory's consistent (and I don't see a reason why it would not be so). Gordon Freeman comes to mind.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Wanna know which character has a male and female alt?

MONSTER HUNTER BABY IT'S TIME

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
One problem:

View attachment 289726

... okay 2 problems, the mii association with Gil/Steve is a bit reaching.
True, but I'm counting Elden Ring which is also a FromSoftware Souls-like published by Bandai Namco. Really, I just count all the FromSoftware Souls-likes as the same franchise (even the ones published by others like Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro). Also, the series does continue to get more popular with remasters, ports, and just generally new players being interested.

And yeah, the Gil thing was a bit of a reach. It didn't correlate in the same way as Heihachi did.

EDIT: Actually, Dante could make a lot of sense if they have a younger DMC3 alt with his older DMC5 as main (or vice versa). That actually makes more sense to me.

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I think it's clear Dark Souls will not be getting any new game in the franchise (for now, they could change their minds down the line to revive the franchise and/or cash grab). But it's a broader franchise than that, with Demon Souls, Bloodbourne, Sekiro, and whatever else they got coming. Not sure that means Chosen Undead has any chance though, and I say that as a hardcore fan of Dark Souls.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
There are a lot of characters that could fit that paradigm though. so this is still rather open-ended:

* LoL is filled with them (with several alts having new voicelines altogether), wouldn't be surprised if several Dynasty Warriors characters could also fit for similar reasons (Edit: Lu Bu for example has different responses in the Dynasty Warriors games and the Warriors Orochi games respectively). Reimu's another character that could fit depending on which incarnations would be included. Those are just the ones that come directly to my mind though.

* Likewise, there are a lot of characters that are characteristically mute. There's definetely the chance that another mute characters gets in, and another slot would accordingly be "opened up" if the theory's consistent (and I don't see a reason why it would not be so). Gordon Freeman comes to mind.
Wouldn't Gordon still need a soundset for the HEV suit though?

SKX31

Smash Master
Finally, Smash would become the gaming equivelant to Shakespear's works
"Stars, hide your fires!
Let not light see my black and deep desires."

Galeem hears this and thinks:

"You don't **** with a God."

Quote's from Macbeth.

Wouldn't Gordon still need a soundset for the HEV suit though?
Oh **** forgot that. Maybe honestly? There's not as many damage types in Smash as there are in Half-Life (no characters who deal nuclear damage unless I'm missing something here) although there'd still be quite a bit for it to talk about. They might need to approach the suit's voice actress (Kathy Levin) again though, she's not voiced anything since Half Life 2 Episode Two it seems.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

• Crash and Coco
it's gonna be amingo and his brother hermango from the new hit game super amingo rpg
20200831_080916-1.png

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

Imagine if we enter the most based timeline and we get Isaac with a Felix alt ala Alph and the different Heroes. Would be the dream

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hmmm, so likely we'll get a character with a female alt huh? Or perhaps a duo character or character associated with said character.

Some guesses.

Crash + Coco
Monster Hunter
Phoenix Wright (Maya being part of his moveset and victory animations)
Rex & Pyra

Akira Howard also comes to mind but Astral Chain had a Spirit Event so that's out of the running.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

VEEMO TIME

maybe I’ll finally also know who voices the playable Octolings. Both gender Inklings are voiced by one man (yes even the girl inkling). I have a hunch both Octos are voiced by a girl (even the boy Octo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom