• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I've seen people say that Monster Hunter could get a character because Rise is releasing next year, and I think that is coming from a place of dismissal/ignorance. Monster Hunter is an absolutely massive franchise in Japan. It's Dragon Quest levels of bighuge over there. With World, it finally found worldwide appeal as well. If Monster Hunter gets a character it isn't to shill for a new game it's because the series is a way bigger deal than just about every blockbuster pick that gets brought up. If a character does get added it's going to be a "Well, duh" moment just like with Hero.

Maybe Nintendo/Capcom/Sakurai feel like Rathalos and the Mii costumes are enough representation, I don't know. But don't get it twisted; the series is a bigger deal than Crash, Halo, Doom, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, and just about anything you can name. So I would not blink if we got a MH character and no one else should. Nor should they dismiss it as a shill pick. Unless adding one of the biggest franchises in the world is shilling.
Not trying to downplay Monster Hunter. But I’d say Halo & it are about equal. Halo is at 70 mil units sold, while MonHun is at 64 mil. However, Halo’s just been on three systems & only very recently came to Steam compared to MonHun which has been on a variety of systems. On top of that, Halo’s cultural impact in the US is similar to that of MonHun in Japan. They’re both very big deals.

Aight, crackpot time:

In E3 2019, we got Banjo and Kazooie. While E3 2020 was cancelled and Min Min was shoved back from her original release date, most likely taking the entire pass with her, Steve was still released at a time that would line up with an E3 reveal.

Both characters are owned by Microsoft. Assuming that the pass will finish around late 2021, this would mean FP2 will go on through E3 2021. Assuming this pattern (If you can call two instances a pattern) hold up, this would mean we'll get another Microsoft character near the end of the pass.

And who is the most prominent Microsoft character left? that's right, it's Master Chief. You should be able to see where this is going.

Crinkling of tinfoil gets louder
I believe this is it: https://www.siliconera.com/actually...-didnt-want-the-hunter-in-marvel-vs-capcom-3/
You are right it is MVC3 and from 2011 so who knows where they stand now.
I think that may have been the case for base games Smash Ultimate. But like I said a couple days ago, I think Monster Hunter: World may have changed things up drastically.

Monster Hunter: World sold over 15 mil units which puts it only behind GTAV, RDR2 & maybe Minecraft* as the highest selling game this gen. That’s insane. It took the series from being a big thing in Japan with a cult following elsewhere to a global phenomenon. I’ve had a decent amount of coworkers & whatnot talk about World, even though I would’ve never expected them to play it. I can definitely see Capcom & Nintendo/Sakurai going back to discuss MonHun in Smash after that juggernaut of a game.

*I couldn’t find any specific sales data for Minecraft on current gen consoles so I’m just guessing with that. It’s probably an accurate guess though lol

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Considering that negotiating with western companies is apparently more difficult, I could see Fighter Pass 2 having more of them since they would've had since Fighter Pass 1 planning to work it all out. If they want a character in they're going to take the time negotiating for them, not just throw their arms up at the first obstacle in their way. And there's more than enough popular requests to justify it. Games like Doom might not be super popular in Japan but neither was Dragon Quest super popular in the West, and games like Skyrim have worldwide appeal.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I think Monster Hunter is definitely getting some additional content, whether it's just the Smash 4 Mii costumes coming back, a Spirit Event based on Monster Hunter Rise, or a fully-playable character with the works.

The fact that Monster Hunter's base game representation is essentially just Rathalos (serving as Assist Trophy, Boss, and Spirit) and two music tracks (both of which are holdovers from Smash 4, and one of which is Rathalos' theme anyway) is what's getting to me. Monster Hunter is a huge, long-running series that isn't exactly lacking in Spirit material or great music tracks, so unless plans for more content were cut short due to time constraints, why go to the trouble of giving Rathalos a boss battle, Assist Trophy, and a Spirit... and then just stop there? No Spirits based on other monsters like Diablos, Kirin, Rajang, Nergigante, or Fatalis? No additional music tracks from the recent games like Monster Hunter World?

RetroBro

Smash Ace
GTA has ghosts, aliens, big foot, flying cars, jetpacks, and Big Smoke. Only since GTA4 did the series start getting super serious, San Andreas was over the top and wacky. Saying every mature series in Smash can be toned down but GTA can't is disingenuous at best, you're not gonna be beating up hookers in Smash, just like you're not delving into the minds of rapists ala Persona, removing bombs from questionable places ala MGS, or straight up being the hooker ala Bayonetta.

It's not a question of toning down the mature from any given franchise so much as just... not even acknowledging it. Only Bayonetta had to be toned down given her penchant for stripping, every other mature character in Smash just does what they normally do, it's the context from the games that make them mature, not the characters themselves. CJ can totally pop a cap in Mario if given the chance, not that it's particularly likely to happen anyway.

See that's the thing. They absolutely know how to tone down games/characters. I'm not denying they can't. But it is NOT a regular thing just because there are two characters that have been toned down. GTA also does not have other avenues in the way that Metal Gear/Bayonetta has, it doesn't have a sci-fi component that the story is heavily based on like Metal gear, it doesn't have a big connection to Nintendo like Bayonetta, it doesn't have one of gaming's biggest developers Kojima practically begging Sakurai to let a character from it in smash, it doesn't have a kid friendly appeal that Minecraft has.

Games don't just get added because they're popular or make a lot of money. GTA has a lot working against it. Just because there are a few characters that have been toned down does not mean it's not a barrier of entry into smash. GTA is extreme as far as violence goes.

And to stoke the flames of conversation here - MK is in the same boat but far worse off.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Instead of a generic hunter they should just let one of the monsters playable...

NARGACUGA 4 SMASH

I've also said this in the past but, I think Lute/Sophie and Ratha from MonHun Stories would be very unique

If they go the Generic Hunter route I hope they take some notes from Hunter Berserker from Dragalia Lost

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think Monster Hunter is definitely getting some additional content, whether it's just the Smash 4 Mii costumes coming back, a Spirit Event based on Monster Hunter Rise, or a fully-playable character with the works.

The fact that Monster Hunter's base game representation is essentially just Rathalos (serving as Assist Trophy, Boss, and Spirit) and two music tracks (both of which are holdovers from Smash 4, and one of which is Rathalos' theme anyway) is what's getting to me. Monster Hunter is a huge, long-running series that isn't exactly lacking in Spirit material or great music tracks, so unless plans for more content were cut short due to time constraints, why go to the trouble of giving Rathalos a boss battle, Assist Trophy, and a Spirit... and then just stop there? No Spirits based on other monsters like Diablos, Kirin, Rajang, Nergigante, or Fatalis? No additional music tracks from the recent games like Monster Hunter World?
We had other fighterless third party franchises in Ultimate and none of them got many Spirits, I think that part was just that they didn't want to go overboard.
it doesn't have a sci-fi component that the story is heavily based on like Metal gear
Well you do kinda infiltrate Area 51 in one mission to steal a jetpack sooo
it doesn't have a kid friendly appeal that Minecraft has.
Let's not kid ourselves; kids absolutely do play GTA.
GTA is extreme as far as violence goes.
I really wouldn't call GTA extreme in any sense of the word. It's not more realistic or graphic than the other M-rated franchises in Smash. We aren't talking about Manhunt or Thrill Kill. Hell, other commonly speculated franchises are bloodier.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Let's not kid ourselves; kids absolutely do play GTA.
Kids playing GTA is not the same as it being "kid friendly" as I put it earlier. Even the man himself joked about it.

0tolzfh0l9x31.jpg

This isn't Sony or Microsoft where it's an open door when it comes to a game's rating. I know people will vehemently disagree with me here because simply because it's popular. Nintendo will not endorse a game that is 100% centered around gangs, crime, and drugs. There is no way around it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Have you ever wondered what a Five Nights at Freddy's stage would probably be like in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? No? Well too bad, because my fall break and quarantine have just started so now I'm doing things to entertain myself (which unfortunately can't be going though my backlog because the Switch isn't within my quarantine zone). So why a Five Nights at Freddy's stage in particular? Because I personally like the series, and I wanted to think about what Freddy could hypothetically bring to the game besides himself. Maybe later I'll do a moveset for him. Or someone else. Or another potential stage for a different game.

Anyway, the stage idea I have in mind right now is The Office from Five Nights at Freddy's: Ultimate Custom Night. The general gist is that it combines the classic gameplay loop of Five Nights at Freddy's with Super Smash Bros. gameplay, with a few intractable stage elements that you'll use to keep the animatronics out as you duke it out. You could also ignore them and deal with their assault like they're normal stage hazards. Some of them are pretty dangerous though, so I wouldn't recommend doing that for all of them.

The stage depicts a cluttered office space filled with restaurant and animatronic paraphernalia. The stage’s bottom platform extends its entire length, so players can continually walk until they hit the blast zone and get K.O.’ed. Above the floor are three shelves that act as platforms, and their layout is similar to that of Battlefield’s. On each side of the stage are two large door frames that lead outside the room. The camera will not follow players who walk through them, but you can walk a short distance before being K.O.’ed.

Above these door frames are walls that extend to the top of the stage. There are also air ducts at the top of the stage that are placed in a way that they would divide the room into equal thirds if they extended to the floor. They also act as walls and ceilings, though it is possible to launch opponents up the ducts for a K.O. if you’re precise enough. Attacking the ducts gets rid of this option by busting them up. Doing so also causes the room to heat up. More on that later. Steve uses a shovel to mine the floor and walls, which count as stone, and a pickaxe to mine the shelves, air ducts, and the doors (when closed), which count as iron.

One thing that players would immediately notice upon playing on the stage would be the odd camera. It has a slight fish eye lens effect* (for lack of a better term, unless that’s actually what it is), causing the entire stage to seem to rotate as it pans from left to right. The camera is also fixed, and will not zoom in or out, or pan up or down. It will only turn from side to side. The camera will attempt to focus on the mid-point between the left-most and right-most players, though it won’t move past the doors by much, even if someone is standing in the hallway. Screen and Star K.O.’s are not possible on this stage, and the rotating effect is not present on the Battlefield and Ω forms of the stage.

On the wall in the middle of the room, there is a large monitor that shows camera footage of various locations from within the Five Nights at Freddy’s series, occasionally changing cameras on its own. This is where the stage hazards come in. In front of the doors, the monitor, and on the top shelf in front of an air vent are large buttons that players can stand on in order to activate them. The door & vent buttons shuts its respective lockdown style door until it stops being pressed, and drains power from the building. Losing power makes the stage pitch black for a few moments before resetting. Pressing the monitor button changes what camera it displays until it’s pressed again, always opting for the most important one. These are your major defenses against the animatronics.

A random number of random animatronics will appear, usually to attack you. The only rhyme or reason to one appearing any given time you visit the stage, is that the odds of one appearing are weighted slightly higher when a song from a game they have appeared in is currently playing. I will be acronyming these titles from here on out, so here they are in full: Five Nights at Freddy’s, Five Nights at Freddy’s 2, Five Nights at Freddy’s 3, Five Nights at Freddy’s 4, Five Nights at Freddy’s: Sister Location, FNaF World, Five Nights at Freddy’s: Pizzeria Simulator, Five Nights at Freddy’s: Ultimate Custom Night, Five Nights at Freddy’s VR: Help Wanted, and Five Nights at Freddy’s AR**. The animatronics are as follows:

Door Animatronics
  • Bonnie (FNaF, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): The lights will randomly flip on in the left doorway, alerting players to his presence along with an audio cue. The player must close that door quickly in order to stop him from attacking. If he attacks, he’ll smash his guitar on the nearest opponent.
  • Chica (FNaF, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FnaF AR): Does the same thing as Bonnie, but she appears on the right side, and when attacking, she’ll throw her cupcake at you.
  • Nightmare Fredbear (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN): Sometimes menacing eyes will peer at you from beyond the left doorway. If this happens, do not attempt to close that door. If you get too close, Nightmare Fredbear will grab you, and deal a ton of damage. Nightmare Fredbear will go away on his own if you leave him alone.
  • Nightmare (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN): Sometimes menacing eyes will peer at you from beyond the right doorway. If this happens, do not attempt to close that door. If you get too close, Nightmare will grab you, and deal a ton of damage. If you get over 100%, this is an instant K.O. Nightmare will go away on his own if you leave him alone.
Vent Animatronics
  • Balloon Boy (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): He will sometimes show up in the vent if nobody else is there. If the players don’t close it fast enough, he will climb out of it and laugh at the players as he disables the monitor.
  • Mangle (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): She will sometimes show up in the vent if nobody else is there. If the players don’t close it fast enough, he will climb out of it and up the wall in the background to the top of the screen and make racket before leaving through one of the air ducts. If a player gets too close to him as he does this, she will bite them.
  • JJ (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN): He will sometimes show up in the vent if nobody else is there. If the players don’t close it fast enough, he will climb out of it and laugh at the players as he disables the door buttons.
  • Springtrap (FNaF 3, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): He will sometimes show up in the vent if nobody else is there. If the players don’t close it fast enough, he will climb out of it and roam around as he attacks players similar to Foxy. Unlike Foxy however, he won’t leave until a predetermined amount of time. Springtrap becomes more aggressive after a noisy animatronic is triggered.
  • Ennard (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): Ennard can appear in the vent if nobody is there. If he does, close it quickly before he inches out. Once he does, he will grab the first player who goes in front of him, and if they do not mash out quickly, he will pull them in, instantly K.O.’ing them.
Monitor Animatronics
  • Foxy (FNaF, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): Foxy resides on Pirate Cove in the cameras. If Pirate Cove is shown to be empty, then close the left door, or he will get inside the room, and roam across the stage until he gets a player with his hook. This attack is very powerful.
  • Golden Freddy (FNaF, FNaF 2, FNaF 3, FNaF: UCN): If Golden Freddy appears on the monitor, quickly switch the camera, or it will shift to a black screen with just his face one it, and release a shockwave that deals high damage and knockback to whoever gets hit by it. The attack is very similar to Tabuu’s Off Wave attack.
  • Toy Freddy (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): He does the same thing as Foxy, but instead of appearing in Pirate Cove, he’s holed up in his room playing Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64. If he’s gone, and you see a game over screen on his T.V., close the right door, or he’ll run across the room while flailing his arms like a pinwheel. He doesn’t linger like Foxy though, as he’s not trying to hurt you, he’s just angry.
  • Phantom Balloon Boy (FNaF 3, FNaF: UCN): If he appears on the monitor, change the camera it displays before he attacks the players in the same manner as Golden Freddy. Luckily, Phantom Balloon Boy doesn’t do any damage; he just stuns the players, and makes a loud noise. His attack radius is also much shorter.
  • Phantom Foxy (FNaF 3): If he appears on the monitor, change the camera it displays before he leaps out of it, stunning the closest player, and making a loud noise.
  • Phantom Marionette (FNaF 3): If she appears on the monitor, change the camera it displays as soon as possible. If a player passes in front of the monitor while she’s on it, she will leap out of it and slow that player down.
  • Phantom Mangle (FNaF 3): If he appears on the monitor, change the camera it displays before she climbs out of it, up to the ceiling, and makes a bunch of racket before she fades away.
  • Funtime Foxy (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): Funtime Foxy will appear on his own show stage with a sign giving a specific time. You must change the camera on the monitor before the timer hits this number, or he will come running across the room the second it does, chucking the first player he comes across through the door behind him.
In-Room Animatronics
  • Marionette (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): A large gift box will appear in the background to the left of the monitor with a glowing radius around it if she is active. Players must stand in the radius to keep the gauge above it full. The gauge empties pretty slowly, and fills pretty quickly, but if players ignore it for too long, Marionette will slowly rise from the present, and leap at the closest fighter to deal massive damage. It is faint, but you can hear the Marionette’s music box when the gauge isn’t empty.
  • Withered Foxy (FNaF 2, FNaF: VR): When he’s active, and the monitor isn’t looking at Pirate’s Cove, his body parts will fly in from the doors while they’re open, or simply appear in areas in the room that are off-screen. Players can pick these up and throw them at each other, or better yet, out of the room. If all of Withered Foxy’s parts are allowed in the room, he will form up like a Dry Bones, and attack in the same manner as Foxy.
  • Nightmare Freddy (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN): Tiny screaming Freddy plush things called Freddles will appear on parts of the stage that aren’t onscreen if Nightmare Freddy is active, and can be attacked to get rid of them. If players let three of them congregate for too long, Nightmare Freddy spawns in, and attacks nearby players for tons of damage as he paces about the room, leaving only after a predetermined time limit.
  • Nightmarion (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): Nightmarion’s translucent image will sometimes fade in onscreen if she’s active. If you linger in this image for too long, she will materialize, and will attack the player(s) that triggered her.
  • Circus Baby (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): A little plush of her will appear somewhere on the stage a short while before she appears. Players must throw her plushy at her to keep her from attacking. If you stand next to her instead of throwing the plush, she will attack with her scooper regardless of how much time has passed. If you’re a monster and throw her plushy out of the room first, she will attack single out the player who did it.
  • Mediocre Melodies (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): When they’re active, the vent will sometimes shake. Attack the vent to close it preventing one of the Mediocre Melodies from falling out, hurting anyone they fall on.
  • Rockstar Freddy (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): When he’s active, he will be standing to the right of the monitor. Every so often, he will boot up, and ask that you deposit a certain number of coins dependant on how many players there are. When this happens, the players must collect enough coins, and walk over to him to appease him. If the room gets too hot, he will deactivate on his own, but that’s also when the Jack o’ animatronics show up.
  • Rockstar Foxy (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): His bird will fly around the room for a bit before leaving. If a player attacks it, there is a 50% chance that they will be presented with an item, and a 50% chance they will be attacked by Rockstar Foxy.
  • Rockstar Chica (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): A wet floor sign will appear in the room before Rockstar Chica does. Throw it at her to stop her assault, or don’t and face the consequences.
Special Animatronics
  • Freddy (FNaF, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): Freddy only appears if nobody is playing as him (assuming he’s playable), and even then he only appears if the power runs out. Should the power run out, Freddy’s face will illuminate in the right doorway as he plays his signature tune. The song lasts for a random amount of time before it and the light shuts off. After a random amount of time in silence, Freddy will make a screeching sound and attack everyone in the dark. The lights will come back on in the aftermath.
  • Phone Guy (FNaF, FNaF 2, FNaF 3, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): When the Phone Guy “appears”, you will hear a phone ring, and see a “Mute Call” icon appear somewhere on the stage. Players can attack this icon to stop the call. If they don’t, they will hear a guy prattle on about the various active animatronics, indirectly revealing how they work. If there are any sound-sensitive animatronics active, they will become more aggressive.
  • Jack o’ Bonnie & Jack o’ Chica: The two will appear on the left and right doorways respectively when the room gets too hot. They will instantly K.O. any players outside of the room, deal a ton of contact damage, and set the two bottom shelf platforms alight until the room cools down again.
  • Dee Dee (FNaF World, FNaF: UCN): Dee Dee will appear in front of the camera and sing a little song. When it ends, a new animatronic will unfortunately be after you. She’s the only animatronic that is always active, and there are even animatronics that will only activate because of her, so be vigilant.
  • Trash & The Gang (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): Wat? No. 1 Crate will sometimes distract players by jump scaring them, and the rest of them just cover up the cameras every so often. None of them actually hurt you.
  • El Chip (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): An ad for his restaurant will pop up every once in a while. This just blocks your view.
  • XOR (FNaF: UCN): This Dee Dee recolor only appears when all animatronics are active (and replaces Dee Dee in such a scenario). She activates all of the Dee Dee animatronics at once.
Dee Dee Animatronics
  • RWQFSFASXC (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF AR): Yeah I dunno what this name is either. RWQFSFASXC will only appear when summoned by Dee Dee. When summoned by her, he will plunge the room in darkness for a few seconds. The only things you will be able to see are his glowing eyes and teeth. Once he’s gone, he will not come back.
  • Plushtrap (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): He will only appear when summoned by Dee Dee, and will immediately attack when he is summoned. One of the vents will start to shake violently. Attack it to bust it up, preventing Plushtrap from falling out of it, and running around and slashing any players in his path. Once he’s gone, he will not come back.
  • Minirina (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF AR): They will only appear if summoned by Dee Dee. When summoned, a bunch of them will crawl onto the screen, blocking your view for a bit. Once they’re gone, they will not come back.
  • Electro Bab (FNaF: SL): After being summoned, bunch of them will eventually come into the room and drain it of its power through the buttons. Attack them to get rid of them. Once they’re gone, they will not come back.
  • Bonnet (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): She toddles along the floor, and if she reaches the other side of the room, she will leap at the closest player, and attack them like a Pikmin. She can be interrupted before and during this attack with pretty much any attack, so feel free to punt her across the stage.
  • Glitchtrap (FNaF: VR): After he has been summoned, he will sometimes appear on the monitor. If you don’t switch the cameras quick enough, he will do something random like flipping the screen, randomizing each fighter’s percentages, swapping their places, etc.
*This effect is the most accurate, but if it turns out to be a terrible idea in general, then it can be removed/not implemented without sacrificing much. Not all of the Five Nights at Freddy’s games even have it; it’s just more common than not at the moment. As long as it looks like the camera is turning rather than moving from side to side, it’ll work.

**Five Nights at Freddy’s: Security Breach is not out yet, so I won’t be mentioning any animatronics from that game. Pretty much all of the characters prior to FNaF SL appear in FNaF World, but I don’t think these are the same entities, so I won’t list FNaF World as an animatronic’s appearance if they debut elsewhere. Animatronics that are likely the same entity, but listed separately in FNaF: UCN will be listed separately here as well.

Now, I know this might sound like a lot, but the animatronics generally wouldn't be active all at the same time (in fact, I'd make it a pretty rare occurrence with the option to force it by holding both triggers or something), and a lot of them are dealt with in the same, or a similar fashion.

Also, I didn't include Ballora or Funtime Freddy because their most well known mechanics are both sound based. Having players listen to see if a quiet music box song is coming from the left or right while you hear a louder song alongside all of the characters being noisy is a terrible idea, and while Funtime Freddy is much louder and easier to deal with, he still has no warning if you're deaf or the sound is off.

I guess that's it for now...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nintendo will not endorse a game that is 100% centered around gangs, crime, and drugs
Nintendo has allowed GTA games on their systems so they absolutely would endorse it. Hell, Chinatown Wars, the GTA game made for DS, had a special drug dealing minigame which is the most in-depth and explicit encounter with drugs in the entire franchise. This is a game that Nintendo announced.

If anything, the comparison with Mai is great because it shows what they have to do to get the franchise in: just don't include the offensive elements. You can have a gun-wielding criminal in Smash; we already have one!

Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo has allowed GTA games on their systems so they absolutely would endorse it. Hell, Chinatown Wars, the GTA game made for DS, had a special drug dealing minigame which is the most in-depth and explicit encounter with drugs in the entire franchise. This is a game that Nintendo announced.

If anything, the comparison with Mai is great because it shows what they have to do to get the franchise in: just don't include the offensive elements. You can have a gun-wielding criminal in Smash; we already have one!
I think there's a big difference between letting GTA games on Nintendo consoles and actively letting them being represented in such a major way in one of their biggest franchises/games. Nintendo consoles are hardly locked down to be "good boys and girls" machines at this point, given the content in certain """games""" hidden away in the dark, wretched crevices of the eshop, but that's really not the same thing as proudly putting them front and center.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I personally think GTA would deserve a spot in Smash & I’d be down for that, but I agree that Nintendo wouldn’t want it in because of how mature the series is. It’s always been seen as THE mature game series in pop culture, even if there is smaller games that are waaaay worse. Nintendo’s fine with the games on their system, but I doubt they want characters from it in their big crossover game. There’d definitely be a lot of negative controversy associated with the inclusion from uninformed people. It’s probably for the best just to avoid that sadly.

On top of that, Rockstar doesn’t really play well with others. They don’t even license merchandise for their games despite the high probability of GTA & Red Dead Merch selling like hot cakes. I know I’d personally snatch up some GTAV & Red Dead figures in a heartbeat.
Hell, they haven’t shown up to E3 since like 2007. They do everything on their own now.

So if they’re letting that much money lie on the table for whatever reason (artistic integrity?), I doubt they’d be very cooperative when it comes to Smash.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel it's also worth noting that Mai was likely passed on because they couldn't find an elegant solution to her outfit. It would have needed more than just a little alteration, and simply slapping tights on her like with Mythra wasn't going to cut it. Later on, she got in a crossover wearing a red velvety dress underneath her usual garb that looked really nice, so it's possible that she could have gotten her cameo in Super Smash Bros. if she had appeared there first. Perhaps not if it still allowed for upskirt shots, but I do think it would be a potential outcome.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Do you mean the model or textures? There's a difference as Xenoblade DE also just reuses every model but the textures are different
Someone ripped Min Min's model and compared her to her ARMS model, they were similar, with the Smash model clearly based on the ARMS model, but there were differences between the two. With Steve, its just a bit visual from watching the comparison video on GameXplain where Steve seems to be taller than Minecraft Steve, for example.

Xenoblade DE had to change more than just the textures, the character models look completely different..just a texture swap would be like Wind Waker HD.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think there's a big difference between letting GTA games on Nintendo consoles and actively letting them being represented in such a major way in one of their biggest franchises/games. Nintendo consoles are hardly locked down to be "good boys and girls" machines at this point, given the content in certain """games""" hidden away in the dark, wretched crevices of the eshop, but that's really not the same thing as proudly putting them front and center.
Sure, there's a difference between having games on their consoles and having them on Smash, but I still don't see where this whole "oh, Nintendo wouldn't want to showcase this" comes from. They've had games from the series on their systems, they've had content from other very adult series in Smash, they've funded games like Bayonetta and Devil's Third. I really don't see why having GTA in Smash, without featuring any objectionable elements, would be such a step beyond for them. Especially since the series hasn't been a lightning rod for controversy for a long time now.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Someone ripped Min Min's model and compared her to her ARMS model, they were similar, with the Smash model clearly based on the ARMS model, but there were differences between the two. With Steve, its just a bit visual from watching the comparison video on GameXplain where Steve seems to be taller than Minecraft Steve, for example.

Xenoblade DE had to change more than just the textures, the character models look completely different..just a texture swap would be like Wind Waker HD.
Well the more you know.

No, DE flatout reused a lot of models, though it's possible they only changed the models of major characters, though the fact it's on a different engine could also explain that.

Anyway Sakurai be all "It pained me not to include Mai but I do not want to ****ing deal with CERO" and Smash fans see it as a ban on non kiddy **** despite a major Nintendo series dealing with sexual assault surprisingly often. Just don't include it in Smash, that's been the solution for decades

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No, DE flatout reused a lot of models, though it's possible they only changed the models of major characters, though the fact it's on a different engine could also explain that.
I've heard that at least the main cast were remodeled to look like how they would have if they weren't developing for the Wii, and their facial animations had to be completely redone as a result. I think they were only talking about the faces so I can't really speak the rest of the game though.

Anyway Sakurai be all "It pained me not to include Mai but I do not want to *ing deal with CERO" and Smash fans see it as a ban on non kiddy * despite a major Nintendo series dealing with sexual assault surprisingly often.
Also incest, and that's in a recent title.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've heard that at least the main cast were remodeled to look like how they would have if they weren't developing for the Wii, and their facial animations had to be completely redone as a result. I think they were only talking about the faces so I can't really speak the rest of the game though.

Also incest, and that's in a recent title.
Oh no Three Houses also has one of the character's backstories involve sexual assault. That ****'s been in a thing in Fire Emblem since the beginning

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Speaking of mature Nintendo series, let's not forget that a Smash 64 character commonly deals with troubles caused by being a single parent: :ultyoshi:
Actually, they passed him off to the next Yoshi like a relay race after each level. It's actually a story about how Mario bounced around foster homes as a child. :4pacman:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel it's also worth noting that Mai was likely passed on because they couldn't find an elegant solution to her outfit. It would have needed more than just a little alteration, and simply slapping tights on her like with Mythra wasn't going to cut it. Later on, she got in a crossover wearing a red velvety dress underneath her usual garb that looked really nice, so it's possible that she could have gotten her cameo in Super Smash Bros. if she had appeared there first. Perhaps not if it still allowed for upskirt shots, but I do think it would be a potential outcome.
Another thing to note is that she would just be a stage cameo, so she might not be worth the effort to redesign and all that. Sure, Mythra's Spirit was censored, but she's just a static image, and she's got less skin showing. Mai would take a bit more work, and she'd still just be a background element. For a fighter like Bayonetta, Nintendo would want to edit it, but for a mere stage cameo?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Have you ever wondered what a Five Nights at Freddy's stage would probably be like in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? No? Well too bad, because my fall break and quarantine have just started so now I'm doing things to entertain myself (which unfortunately can't be going though my backlog because the Switch isn't within my quarantine zone). So why a Five Nights at Freddy's stage in particular? Because I personally like the series, and I wanted to think about what Freddy could hypothetically bring to the game besides himself. Maybe later I'll do a moveset for him. Or someone else. Or another potential stage for a different game.

Anyway, the stage idea I have in mind right now is The Office from Five Nights at Freddy's: Ultimate Custom Night. The general gist is that it combines the classic gameplay loop of Five Nights at Freddy's with Super Smash Bros. gameplay, with a few intractable stage elements that you'll use to keep the animatronics out as you duke it out. You could also ignore them and deal with their assault like they're normal stage hazards. Some of them are pretty dangerous though, so I wouldn't recommend doing that for all of them.

The stage depicts a cluttered office space filled with restaurant and animatronic paraphernalia. The stage’s bottom platform extends its entire length, so players can continually walk until they hit the blast zone and get K.O.’ed. Above the floor are three shelves that act as platforms, and their layout is similar to that of Battlefield’s. On each side of the stage are two large door frames that lead outside the room. The camera will not follow players who walk through them, but you can walk a short distance before being K.O.’ed.

Above these door frames are walls that extend to the top of the stage. There are also air ducts at the top of the stage that are placed in a way that they would divide the room into equal thirds if they extended to the floor. They also act as walls and ceilings, though it is possible to launch opponents up the ducts for a K.O. if you’re precise enough. Attacking the ducts gets rid of this option by busting them up. Doing so also causes the room to heat up. More on that later. Steve uses a shovel to mine the floor and walls, which count as stone, and a pickaxe to mine the shelves, air ducts, and the doors (when closed), which count as iron.

One thing that players would immediately notice upon playing on the stage would be the odd camera. It has a slight fish eye lens effect* (for lack of a better term, unless that’s actually what it is), causing the entire stage to seem to rotate as it pans from left to right. The camera is also fixed, and will not zoom in or out, or pan up or down. It will only turn from side to side. The camera will attempt to focus on the mid-point between the left-most and right-most players, though it won’t move past the doors by much, even if someone is standing in the hallway. Screen and Star K.O.’s are not possible on this stage, and the rotating effect is not present on the Battlefield and Ω forms of the stage.

On the wall in the middle of the room, there is a large monitor that shows camera footage of various locations from within the Five Nights at Freddy’s series, occasionally changing cameras on its own. This is where the stage hazards come in. In front of the doors, the monitor, and on the top shelf in front of an air vent are large buttons that players can stand on in order to activate them. The door & vent buttons shuts its respective lockdown style door until it stops being pressed, and drains power from the building. Losing power makes the stage pitch black for a few moments before resetting. Pressing the monitor button changes what camera it displays until it’s pressed again, always opting for the most important one. These are your major defenses against the animatronics.

A random number of random animatronics will appear, usually to attack you. The only rhyme or reason to one appearing any given time you visit the stage, is that the odds of one appearing are weighted slightly higher when a song from a game they have appeared in is currently playing. I will be acronyming these titles from here on out, so here they are in full: Five Nights at Freddy’s, Five Nights at Freddy’s 2, Five Nights at Freddy’s 3, Five Nights at Freddy’s 4, Five Nights at Freddy’s: Sister Location, FNaF World, Five Nights at Freddy’s: Pizzeria Simulator, Five Nights at Freddy’s: Ultimate Custom Night, Five Nights at Freddy’s VR: Help Wanted, and Five Nights at Freddy’s AR**. The animatronics are as follows:

Door Animatronics
  • Bonnie (FNaF, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): The lights will randomly flip on in the left doorway, alerting players to his presence along with an audio cue. The player must close that door quickly in order to stop him from attacking. If he attacks, he’ll smash his guitar on the nearest opponent.
  • Chica (FNaF, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FnaF AR): Does the same thing as Bonnie, but she appears on the right side, and when attacking, she’ll throw her cupcake at you.
  • Nightmare Fredbear (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN): Sometimes menacing eyes will peer at you from beyond the left doorway. If this happens, do not attempt to close that door. If you get too close, Nightmare Fredbear will grab you, and deal a ton of damage. Nightmare Fredbear will go away on his own if you leave him alone.
  • Nightmare (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN): Sometimes menacing eyes will peer at you from beyond the right doorway. If this happens, do not attempt to close that door. If you get too close, Nightmare will grab you, and deal a ton of damage. If you get over 100%, this is an instant K.O. Nightmare will go away on his own if you leave him alone.
Vent Animatronics
  • Balloon Boy (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): He will sometimes show up in the vent if nobody else is there. If the players don’t close it fast enough, he will climb out of it and laugh at the players as he disables the monitor.
  • Mangle (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): She will sometimes show up in the vent if nobody else is there. If the players don’t close it fast enough, he will climb out of it and up the wall in the background to the top of the screen and make racket before leaving through one of the air ducts. If a player gets too close to him as he does this, she will bite them.
  • JJ (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN): He will sometimes show up in the vent if nobody else is there. If the players don’t close it fast enough, he will climb out of it and laugh at the players as he disables the door buttons.
  • Springtrap (FNaF 3, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): He will sometimes show up in the vent if nobody else is there. If the players don’t close it fast enough, he will climb out of it and roam around as he attacks players similar to Foxy. Unlike Foxy however, he won’t leave until a predetermined amount of time. Springtrap becomes more aggressive after a noisy animatronic is triggered.
  • Ennard (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): Ennard can appear in the vent if nobody is there. If he does, close it quickly before he inches out. Once he does, he will grab the first player who goes in front of him, and if they do not mash out quickly, he will pull them in, instantly K.O.’ing them.
Monitor Animatronics
  • Foxy (FNaF, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): Foxy resides on Pirate Cove in the cameras. If Pirate Cove is shown to be empty, then close the left door, or he will get inside the room, and roam across the stage until he gets a player with his hook. This attack is very powerful.
  • Golden Freddy (FNaF, FNaF 2, FNaF 3, FNaF: UCN): If Golden Freddy appears on the monitor, quickly switch the camera, or it will shift to a black screen with just his face one it, and release a shockwave that deals high damage and knockback to whoever gets hit by it. The attack is very similar to Tabuu’s Off Wave attack.
  • Toy Freddy (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): He does the same thing as Foxy, but instead of appearing in Pirate Cove, he’s holed up in his room playing Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64. If he’s gone, and you see a game over screen on his T.V., close the right door, or he’ll run across the room while flailing his arms like a pinwheel. He doesn’t linger like Foxy though, as he’s not trying to hurt you, he’s just angry.
  • Phantom Balloon Boy (FNaF 3, FNaF: UCN): If he appears on the monitor, change the camera it displays before he attacks the players in the same manner as Golden Freddy. Luckily, Phantom Balloon Boy doesn’t do any damage; he just stuns the players, and makes a loud noise. His attack radius is also much shorter.
  • Phantom Foxy (FNaF 3): If he appears on the monitor, change the camera it displays before he leaps out of it, stunning the closest player, and making a loud noise.
  • Phantom Marionette (FNaF 3): If she appears on the monitor, change the camera it displays as soon as possible. If a player passes in front of the monitor while she’s on it, she will leap out of it and slow that player down.
  • Phantom Mangle (FNaF 3): If he appears on the monitor, change the camera it displays before she climbs out of it, up to the ceiling, and makes a bunch of racket before she fades away.
  • Funtime Foxy (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): Funtime Foxy will appear on his own show stage with a sign giving a specific time. You must change the camera on the monitor before the timer hits this number, or he will come running across the room the second it does, chucking the first player he comes across through the door behind him.
In-Room Animatronics
  • Marionette (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): A large gift box will appear in the background to the left of the monitor with a glowing radius around it if she is active. Players must stand in the radius to keep the gauge above it full. The gauge empties pretty slowly, and fills pretty quickly, but if players ignore it for too long, Marionette will slowly rise from the present, and leap at the closest fighter to deal massive damage. It is faint, but you can hear the Marionette’s music box when the gauge isn’t empty.
  • Withered Foxy (FNaF 2, FNaF: VR): When he’s active, and the monitor isn’t looking at Pirate’s Cove, his body parts will fly in from the doors while they’re open, or simply appear in areas in the room that are off-screen. Players can pick these up and throw them at each other, or better yet, out of the room. If all of Withered Foxy’s parts are allowed in the room, he will form up like a Dry Bones, and attack in the same manner as Foxy.
  • Nightmare Freddy (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN): Tiny screaming Freddy plush things called Freddles will appear on parts of the stage that aren’t onscreen if Nightmare Freddy is active, and can be attacked to get rid of them. If players let three of them congregate for too long, Nightmare Freddy spawns in, and attacks nearby players for tons of damage as he paces about the room, leaving only after a predetermined time limit.
  • Nightmarion (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): Nightmarion’s translucent image will sometimes fade in onscreen if she’s active. If you linger in this image for too long, she will materialize, and will attack the player(s) that triggered her.
  • Circus Baby (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): A little plush of her will appear somewhere on the stage a short while before she appears. Players must throw her plushy at her to keep her from attacking. If you stand next to her instead of throwing the plush, she will attack with her scooper regardless of how much time has passed. If you’re a monster and throw her plushy out of the room first, she will attack single out the player who did it.
  • Mediocre Melodies (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): When they’re active, the vent will sometimes shake. Attack the vent to close it preventing one of the Mediocre Melodies from falling out, hurting anyone they fall on.
  • Rockstar Freddy (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): When he’s active, he will be standing to the right of the monitor. Every so often, he will boot up, and ask that you deposit a certain number of coins dependant on how many players there are. When this happens, the players must collect enough coins, and walk over to him to appease him. If the room gets too hot, he will deactivate on his own, but that’s also when the Jack o’ animatronics show up.
  • Rockstar Foxy (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): His bird will fly around the room for a bit before leaving. If a player attacks it, there is a 50% chance that they will be presented with an item, and a 50% chance they will be attacked by Rockstar Foxy.
  • Rockstar Chica (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): A wet floor sign will appear in the room before Rockstar Chica does. Throw it at her to stop her assault, or don’t and face the consequences.
Special Animatronics
  • Freddy (FNaF, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR, FNaF AR): Freddy only appears if nobody is playing as him (assuming he’s playable), and even then he only appears if the power runs out. Should the power run out, Freddy’s face will illuminate in the right doorway as he plays his signature tune. The song lasts for a random amount of time before it and the light shuts off. After a random amount of time in silence, Freddy will make a screeching sound and attack everyone in the dark. The lights will come back on in the aftermath.
  • Phone Guy (FNaF, FNaF 2, FNaF 3, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): When the Phone Guy “appears”, you will hear a phone ring, and see a “Mute Call” icon appear somewhere on the stage. Players can attack this icon to stop the call. If they don’t, they will hear a guy prattle on about the various active animatronics, indirectly revealing how they work. If there are any sound-sensitive animatronics active, they will become more aggressive.
  • Jack o’ Bonnie & Jack o’ Chica: The two will appear on the left and right doorways respectively when the room gets too hot. They will instantly K.O. any players outside of the room, deal a ton of contact damage, and set the two bottom shelf platforms alight until the room cools down again.
  • Dee Dee (FNaF World, FNaF: UCN): Dee Dee will appear in front of the camera and sing a little song. When it ends, a new animatronic will unfortunately be after you. She’s the only animatronic that is always active, and there are even animatronics that will only activate because of her, so be vigilant.
  • Trash & The Gang (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): Wat? No. 1 Crate will sometimes distract players by jump scaring them, and the rest of them just cover up the cameras every so often. None of them actually hurt you.
  • El Chip (FNaF: PS, FNaF: UCN): An ad for his restaurant will pop up every once in a while. This just blocks your view.
  • XOR (FNaF: UCN): This Dee Dee recolor only appears when all animatronics are active (and replaces Dee Dee in such a scenario). She activates all of the Dee Dee animatronics at once.
Dee Dee Animatronics
  • RWQFSFASXC (FNaF 2, FNaF: UCN, FNaF AR): Yeah I dunno what this name is either. RWQFSFASXC will only appear when summoned by Dee Dee. When summoned by her, he will plunge the room in darkness for a few seconds. The only things you will be able to see are his glowing eyes and teeth. Once he’s gone, he will not come back.
  • Plushtrap (FNaF 4, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): He will only appear when summoned by Dee Dee, and will immediately attack when he is summoned. One of the vents will start to shake violently. Attack it to bust it up, preventing Plushtrap from falling out of it, and running around and slashing any players in his path. Once he’s gone, he will not come back.
  • Minirina (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF AR): They will only appear if summoned by Dee Dee. When summoned, a bunch of them will crawl onto the screen, blocking your view for a bit. Once they’re gone, they will not come back.
  • Electro Bab (FNaF: SL): After being summoned, bunch of them will eventually come into the room and drain it of its power through the buttons. Attack them to get rid of them. Once they’re gone, they will not come back.
  • Bonnet (FNaF: SL, FNaF: UCN, FNaF VR): She toddles along the floor, and if she reaches the other side of the room, she will leap at the closest player, and attack them like a Pikmin. She can be interrupted before and during this attack with pretty much any attack, so feel free to punt her across the stage.
  • Glitchtrap (FNaF: VR): After he has been summoned, he will sometimes appear on the monitor. If you don’t switch the cameras quick enough, he will do something random like flipping the screen, randomizing each fighter’s percentages, swapping their places, etc.
*This effect is the most accurate, but if it turns out to be a terrible idea in general, then it can be removed/not implemented without sacrificing much. Not all of the Five Nights at Freddy’s games even have it; it’s just more common than not at the moment. As long as it looks like the camera is turning rather than moving from side to side, it’ll work.

**Five Nights at Freddy’s: Security Breach is not out yet, so I won’t be mentioning any animatronics from that game. Pretty much all of the characters prior to FNaF SL appear in FNaF World, but I don’t think these are the same entities, so I won’t list FNaF World as an animatronic’s appearance if they debut elsewhere. Animatronics that are likely the same entity, but listed separately in FNaF: UCN will be listed separately here as well.

Now, I know this might sound like a lot, but the animatronics generally wouldn't be active all at the same time (in fact, I'd make it a pretty rare occurrence with the option to force it by holding both triggers or something), and a lot of them are dealt with in the same, or a similar fashion.

Also, I didn't include Ballora or Funtime Freddy because their most well known mechanics are both sound based. Having players listen to see if a quiet music box song is coming from the left or right while you hear a louder song alongside all of the characters being noisy is a terrible idea, and while Funtime Freddy is much louder and easier to deal with, he still has no warning if you're deaf or the sound is off.

Not gonna lie, I have no interest in FNaF, but this idea sounds super cool and having a more horror stage would be a nice change of themes. Dracula's castle kind of touch on that, but the fact that the monsters don't interact with you is a huge missed opportunity imo.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
People said the same thing RIGHT before we got Steve.
Well I certainly didn't. I was counting on there being atleast one Western fighter this round.

I don’t really understand why “western rep” is a thing. Especially considering half of the popular requests are Western. Limiting the pool to Japanese only characters seems like another fan rule just for the fact that it doesn’t happen often. It’s an easy way to narrow someone’s most wanted into that field and, believe me, Hayabusa is my most wanted so I get it. But it’s kind of narrow minded to suggest that’s the case when the two biggest characters, reaction wise, from both passes have been western. Catching lightning in a bottle twice isn’t easy but Nintendo was able to do it through Microsoft, a western company, who’s to say there wasn’t an Activision, Ubisoft, or Bethesda conversation in the cards that happened a while back?
I know this thread moves fast. People don't see the things I've said. But I feel like I should stress this: I don't make fan rules. I deal with probabilities. How probable a character is. I base this on many factors, not some makebelieve quota I think exists. When I don't think there will be another Western fighter, I'm not saying that I know there won't be one. I'm saying it's not very probable. It should be no secret that a Japanese company can work with Japanese 3rd party companies more easily. Sakurai himself said this. This by itself makes Japanese characters more probable in general.

It's not a restriction or a rule. It's just a factor to consider when making predictions. Then you have to consider what characters we have left. We have to consider who Nintendo might approach and why they approached them. Hype means nothing. I don't think fan reaction is something to throw into the equation. Nintendo didn't seem to care that ARMS was "dead" they still put it in there. So there are other elements at play, not just what the fans want.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie, I have no interest in FNaF, but this idea sounds super cool and having a more horror stage would be a nice change of themes. Dracula's castle kind of touch on that, but the fact that the monsters don't interact with you is a huge missed opportunity imo.
I think they did it the way they did since the stage is bit small to add enemies as hazards like that but in execution, seeing things like the werewolf howling and then back-flipping into oblivion after having just crashed through the background of the stage is one of the lamest things in Super Smash Bros.

EDIT: And that's a pretty decently high bar considering all of these newcomers with their fancy command inputs, menus, and context sensitive Special Moves, while Sonic's over here with two Special Moves that do basically the same thing and could be condensed into one Special Move while still retaining almost all of the features of both without much effort. Heh, nothin' drives design creep like DLC.

Last edited:

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
Another thing to note is that she would just be a stage cameo, so she might not be worth the effort to redesign and all that. Sure, Mythra's Spirit was censored, but she's just a static image, and she's got less skin showing. Mai would take a bit more work, and she'd still just be a background element. For a fighter like Bayonetta, Nintendo would want to edit it, but for a mere stage cameo?
They could put her with her kimono... or at least a spirit with it
Or her outfit censored... But oh well maybe next time

Attachments

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Monster Hunter Rise will probably get a spirit event, there is no reason for a Monster Hunter fighter to be saved until a second pass in my opinion.
There actually could be a legit reason for a playable Monster Hunter to be saved for later. According to the devs, they have been working on Monster Hunter Rise dating back to at least early 2017. It’s possible Sakurai got a chance to see an early build of the game and created a move set, but the move set uses the new Wirebug feature they showed during MH Rise’s announcement. Well...do you think the Monster Hunter devs would want that new feature shown off in Smash or when they actually announce their new game?

I’m just saying this COULD be a reason to hold off on Monster Hunter.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There actually could be a legit reason for a playable Monster Hunter to be saved for later. According to the devs, they have been working on Monster Hunter Rise dating back to at least early 2017. It’s possible Sakurai got a chance to see an early build of the game and created a move set, but the move set uses the new Wirebug feature they showed during MH Rise’s announcement. Well...do you think the Monster Hunter devs would want that new feature shown off in Smash or when they actually announce their new game?

You say this when Smash had Joker using a grappling hook before its widespread usage in P5 Royal. Before then it was literally only in a menu in vanilla P5.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I don’t think Monster Hunter is rules out for Fighter’s Pass 2 but I also don’t think that the wire bug would be the reason they weren’t in Pass 1. If anything they decided to put MH in Pass 2 after they estimated a release date for Rise so that there could be some kind of advertisement crossover but even that seems like a stretch.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Door Animatronics
Vent Animatronics
Monitor Animatronics
In-Room Animatronics
Special Animatronics
Dee Dee Animatronics

This was way too long for someone like me to read all the way through, but I think I've read more than enough to know for a fact that this could be a really cool stage. Well done! I've been brainstorming ideas for another horror-themed stage based off of Lobotomy Corporation. Shall I share what I've got down?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Capcom=/= the Monster Hunter team. The MH developers work for Capcom yes, and Capcom would certainly be willing, but Sakurai works directly with the teams responsible for series, the company at large just deals with licensing. As seen in the source someone linked above, they turned down the idea for MvC3 but then it came to fruition in Infinite, you might think they simply changed their minds and that's a valid thought process. However, all of this happened before Ultimate, and yet Ultimate still came with Monster Hunter content but no character. This leads me to believe that the MH team still didn't want the Hunter in MvC but Capcom forced it to happen. Why would Sakurai go to them for all of that content without a fighter? It's not a simple throwaway PNG, there's an entire boss, boss stage, and area in WoL dedicated to the series, which is why I believe the team was still against the Hunter as a fighter.

This next bit is pure speculation, but many people have pointed out that Byleth fights a lot like what they imagined the Hunter would. If Sakurai had the idea for the Hunter in his project plan but only managed to get extraneous content with no fighter, that's a moveset he unfortunately had to pass on... Until Byleth came along with weapons that just so happen to fit Sakurai's vision for a moveset and the lightbulb clicked for him as he set out to see it done one way or another.
A couple things I'll say to this:

Firstly, it should be noted that one of the producers behind many of the MH games is Ryozo Tsujimoto, aka the son of the founder and chairman of Capcom. It would be kind of hard for Capcom to go behind the back of the son of a major figure of the company, especially when he's a contributor to one of its biggest series.

Secondly, even ignoring Infinite Capcom has used the Hunter in other ways and their likeness has been used in multiple crossovers and mediums. Dragalia Lost and Street Fighter V uses them as playable costumes, we've had their likeness used in advertising such as the Capcom vs. Osamu Tezuka, and even with Smash we had the two Mii costume sets that clearly use their likeness from Smash 4. If anything, Capcom has increased the presence of the Hunter since the days of MvC3, not decreased, so the idea that the MH team is still adverse to the use of the Hunter outside of the mainline games is built almost entirely on an interview from nearly a decade ago.

There's little in the way that says that Capcom ignored the wishes of the MH team and put in their character without any input, they probably just changed their minds after talking to the Infinite team.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
To steer a bit from thw MH discussion, apparently Nendoroids of Doomslayer and Crash are under works (or was this already posted?):

Of course it doesn't mean anything else except for being fun to see western game characters getting the Nendoroid treatment, and specifically ones often discussed in Smash speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom